[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 168 KB, 271x521, kenmore stackables.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2757524 No.2757524 [Reply] [Original]

I have a Kenmore stackable washer and dryer, about 15 years old. I suspect a bearing is starting to go in the washing machine, it sounds a bit off during spin cycle and when I turn the drum manually with my hand, it sounds like there is a hallow grinding noise.

-How much time do I have left until it stops working?
-Is it worth to fix such an old machine? I read it can be pretty labor intensive to fix washer bearings.
-How the fuck do you even move the dryer off the washer without killing yourself?
-If I get a new washer but keep the dryer, can that be done or will I have to get a matching set because I dunno, the top of the new washer might be different, and the dryer can't start sliding off the new washer when the washer vibrates on spin cycle.
-I heard never buy appliances from big box stores, any reason as to why?
-Do they even make a basic washing machine anymore that doesn't come with a ton of computer programming in it? Rented a place once with a modern LG washer and that thing kept locking up couldn't open the door to get my clothes, the board eventually needed replacement.

>> No.2757581

>>2757524
New one almost certainly won’t make it 5 years.
Dryers are light, just sheet metal. Washers are ten times heavier.
You can almost always get a deal at big box stores. Returns and/or imperfect surfaces, or floor models.

>> No.2757726

>>2757524
>a basic washing machine anymore that doesn't come with a ton of computer programming in it
I heard from some parts that a Speedqueen might be what you are looking for.

>> No.2757729

>>2757524
>will I have to get a matching set
The manufacturer will tell you so, but that's because they provide fancy brackets and spacers so that the panels line up perfectly and the machine on top does not scratch up the bottom one or dent the top cover from localized weight. Another thing is that some models can't be separated as they share some wiring but that's rare. One more thing is that your model looks like it could not have a panel between the two machines, but that's also rare, this could just be a piece of trim in the front.
You can always get away with it by placing a large piece of particle board on top of the washing machine and secure the two machines together with mending plates screwed to the sheet metal. This may or may not void the manufacturer's warranty.

>> No.2757758

>>2757524
If you arent completely retarded you just replace the bearings.

>> No.2757808
File: 32 KB, 640x640, cd2058c8f758164374b20914d05debd2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2757524
washing machine bearings are a massive pain in the ass, the dryer bearing is a pain in the ass too, but less so. The washing machine side is basically sealed as far as I know you need to break into it, change the bearing then re-glue it.

>new set because stacked
my kenmore combo unit shares wiring and I only have a single plug at the location, so I'm sort of stuck unless I replace both, it's easy to see if you open the back panel and look at where your power goes in and how it splits off.

>new unit?
I think you should start hunting now for a used one on craigs and see if you can test it and use it for parts, you dont need the heavy stuff, just the wash spinner assembly, motors etc. you can also cross reference parts to see what models share. If you don't care about saving money and value your time just buy new.

t.guy who has been replacing shit in his kenmore combo washer and dryer for the last 5 years since it constantly breaks but I don't want to carry the bastard upstairs so I just keep fixing it.

>> No.2758047

>>2757729
> some models can't be separated as they share some wiring
>>2757808
> my kenmore combo unit shares wiring

What a brilliant anti-consumer practice! I specialize in anti-consumer/planned obsolescence practices, and I couldn’t have come up with that one. Great job kenmore MBA/Marketing graduates!

>> No.2758136

>>2758047
The irony is that I'm pretty sure the washer runs on 110 and the dryer 220 but it's wired to a single location then splits off to various components, which means you can prob run the washer with a normal plug. I did look into new units and they do sell stackables that can be separated now days, but in my case still need to buy both.

Currently...
>Washer bearing is going, so we just do lighter loads to not exasperate it
>Dryer timer assembly is busted. So I have to set a separate timer and manually turn it off
>Door latch sensor is a janked together collection of springs and wires because I couldn't find exactly the right one so said fuck it and mcguyvered it

I know once I replace it I'll be on the 3-5 year replacement cycle, so I'd like to avoid that.

>> No.2759301

>>2757726
What is so special about that brand?

>>2757729
>your model looks like it could not have a panel between the two machines, but that's also rare, this could just be a piece of trim in the front.
There is only a "top" on the dryer. There is an extra top for the washer that was not used as the dryer sits on top of the washer. Its like OP pic.
>This may or may not void the manufacturer's warranty.
No idea what you are going on about with particle board, a piece of trim is the least of my worries here. These machines are 15 years old there is nothing to void we moved into the house with this machines several years ago.

>>2757808
I would never purchase a combo stuck together like yours, looks like hell to move. And if its wired together, how does the dryer work properly? Is it plugged into a 220 socket or the usual smaller one?
I have stackables like in OP pic but they are not attached together like yours, and the dryer has its own plug.
>as far as I know you need to break into it, change the bearing then re-glue it.
This sounds out of my league.
>if you don't care about saving money and value your time just buy new.
I try to save money and time as much as I can but there comes a limit to what I can fix and what I want to waste time on. I wish things made new these days were not so shitty and we could just buy good quality stuff from like the 1980s and before. The thought of having to shop around, read reviews, and move a ton of shit to get the old ones out and new ones in, is also a night mare in itself.
If I had to replace the washer I'd just want to do the washer, because they are stackables I am not sure of that's possible simply because the new machine likely will be a different shape on top.

I wonder how long this machine will last on a bead bearing. I don't have alot of laundry. Only a few loads per month

>> No.2759302

>>2759301
I also don't know if they even sell stackables as separate machine. Nothing wrong with the dryer right now I don't want to toss it.