[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 487 KB, 1200x1599, Richard_Nixon_presidential_portrait_(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2719106 No.2719106 [Reply] [Original]

OK so a few years back I ran my oil tank empty and now I'm having sludgy issues clogging my nozzle... last time I got oil they filled from a little more than a quarter tank so idk how the shits still getting mixed in but whatever...
What can I do to try and remedy this? What's the best shit I can pour in to break up the garbage...
Do I just not run my furnace for a few days after I get oil so the shut settles out of suspension?
What do? My plan is to keep a set of filters and a nozzle on top of the furnace so when it dies again I can be up and running again right away
Also I've Ben just buying oil from the cheapest supplier.. could this be the problem? Like should I only buy from a good oil supplier or doesn't it matter?

>> No.2719189

>>2719106
I don't live in the 1930's so I can't help you.

>> No.2719213

>>2719106
Try a couple gallons of kerosene. It's more expensive and without rejetting the thing, you're wasting energy, but it might dissolve the stuff.
>Option 2 (if it's mostly empty)
Five years ago, I did something so fucking stupid, I won't mention it here, but the result was I had to get some crap out of the tank. I pulled the vent/fuel gauge combo, on the top of the tank, jerry-rigged a long, rigid vacuum extension and stuck it on my shop vac. Sucked every bit of shit and thirty years worth of sludge right out of that fucker, until it was shiny clean. Is this dangerous? Could the fuel have vaporized and gotten sparked by the vacuum motor? Maybe, but I was desperate. Just an idea.

>> No.2719258

>>2719189
You sure it's not because you're retarded?

>>2719213
I just got done putting a new nozzle and filters on... last time I had it done I fuckin told the guy to flush out the oil line and the dickhead just wouldn't fuckin listen or stop arguing... well i took that fucker off and left like a quart drain into a jug and guess what there's like a dime sized blob of shit in there...

Nice story... that's a pretty good idea... I've heard of people using a shop vac to do things like change a bad valve or hose on diesel tanks and if they are only pulling vapors and not exploding I imagine you were perfectly safe

>> No.2719382

>>2719258
there isn't anyone who lives within 1500 miles, and 90 years of me that has an oil fired furnace.

>> No.2719394

>>2719258
Ah, a fellow northeast anon. I’ll just throw some ideas out

1. It’s strange you’re getting enough sludge to clog the nozzle even after changing the filters. Did you also change your pump strainer? That’s the last line of defense before the nozzle

2. If changing the filter, nozzle, and strainer still leaves you with a clogged nozzle, I would replace or at least blow out the oil line from your filter to the pump, and from the pump to the burner head. Once shit gets in those nozzles it’s very hard to clear out, even a shred of ptfe tape from a fitting is enough to clog it

3. I wouldn’t worry about the fuel itself. The open secret is that everyone gets it from the same central repositories, same as gas stations. BP and shell stations sell the same gas with a few different additives mixed in

4. The sludge forms from water getting inside the tank and will settle to the bottom under the oil, doesn’t matter how full it is

>> No.2719748

Get some sludge be gone and/or hot 4-in-1 heating treatment and dump that shit in your tank. And if your tank is metal and underground you might be fighting a losing battle.

>> No.2719775

>>2719106
Figure out how much fuel oil is in your tank now, and go get sufficient Diesel biocide and treatment to dose that volume.
Stanadyne or PowerService are two brands I've had good results with.
Dope the tank, then try and run it. Have a few backup filters as Diesel fuel dope will remove all kinds of crud. It may take a couple of filter changes and flushes.

>> No.2720248

>>2719106
Are you absolutely positive it was the nozzle clogging? When you hit the reset button, did it work at all, even just for a few seconds? If the nozzle is clogged, it’s fucked, the system will not run at all until it’s replaced

>> No.2720274

>>2719382
Must be nice living near the equator.

>> No.2720655

>>2720274
SW US