[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.63 MB, 3000x4000, IMG_0399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
271835 No.271835 [Reply] [Original]

can I turn my red doc martens reddish-brown?

I have grown out of being full on punk and am finding I rarely wear these anymore because they overpower the rest of the outfit, I do want some nice brown boots without shelling out the cash again if possible.

so what products can I use to turn these more brown? I dont think shoe polish will be enough because i have seen punks use black to turn their docs an oxblood color and it doesn't get a lot of saturation towards being black

pic related is the boots

(yes I also posted this on /fa/ but you guys know how to do things)

>> No.271847
File: 18 KB, 220x330, shpe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There are lots of products out there for dying shoes. What you want is a spirit-dye based product, which will soak into the leather, unlike a polish which colors only on the surface.

>> No.271853

please help me, i will suck on your penis

>> No.271855

>>271847
oh excellent! would you recommend the brand you posted there?

>> No.271861

>>271847

Agreed. You need the colour to saturate into the leather or it will just be a surface colouring and it will crack and scrape off.

The problem is that the leather on those boots has already been treated. I have experience using dye on veg tan tooling leather and its quite easy in its natural state but I have no idea what you are going to have to get it to permeate that coating.

You will have to use google im afraid. There are probably sites dedicated to doctor martins that have custom sections.

>> No.271865

>>271835
I believe there are also products for stripping leather. I won't do the research for you, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

>> No.271872

rubbing alcohol or acetone should work fine to strip the gloss off the leather.

>> No.271876

have you tried just polishing them with black shoe polish. I use to do this with my ox bloods gives it a nice antique sort of finish.

>> No.271971

>>271872
>>271865
>>271861
thanks guys thats a step in the right direction.. I think acetone will do the trick on the glossy coating and then I will use some brown dye.. i hope it comes out red-brown though and not just brown.. I like that kind of color

>> No.272034
File: 1.26 MB, 2592x1944, IMG_20120509_112943.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>271971
Dark brown MIGHT result in a red-brown.

You might want to try it on a small piece of the tongue that isn't visible. If that doesn't work, get a Cordovan dye and give it several treatments. Or whatever color is exactly what you want. If you have a Tandy Leather Co. store within driving distance, GO THERE. They will help you.

Might take a few applications to get the color right.

Then remember: AFTER DYING YOU NEED A FIXATIVE. This prevents the dye from bleeding. I usually use carnauba cream leather fixative, then a liberal application of mink oil.

If you have a Tandy Leather Co. store within driving distance, GO THERE. They will help you. Though you might get sucked into leather work, and end up spending all your free time saddle-stitching until your hands bleed.

Pic related. Leather fucking rocks.

>> No.272050

>>272034
wow I thought I had never heard of tandy leather co. but it turns out theres one in my city that I can probably bike to tomorrow.

thats perfect thanks for the advice.. and if i get sucked into leather working, oh well, I need a new hobby so it could be fun.

glad to see someone who knows this type of shit on here, i feel like its somewhat of a lost craft

>> No.272087
File: 599 KB, 1493x2240, Sebbal_at_a_Masquerade_ball_by_Sebbal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>272050
It is mostly a lost craft, but we try to keep it alive for those who wish to learn.

I will be undertaking a similar get-up as this fellow. I am currently working on the back parts and logistics for where all the bits are going and how they attach and move with each other.

>> No.272092

>>272087
why would you do that though? is it a cosplay type of thing?.

I am from /fa/ and lately have been realizing that its time to get serious about my leather goods

>> No.272094

>>272092
Yup, Texas Renaissance Festival and shenanigans coming up. I have been making leather wares for 5+ years on and off, so I have been wanting to undertake a nearly full body exploration of armor for myself after having already made a sort of full-body dragon armor set for a female friend.

>> No.272100

>>272092
You learn many, many useful skills in leatherworking and costume-making that translate to sewing and fashionable things like custom man-bags and even things like shoe-building. I have made 2 leather jackets, one for a friend, the other for a costume that I eventually gave away to another friend with a motorcycle and he still wears it 2 years later.

>> No.272105

>>272094
nice..I suppose it could actually be cool to make a couple of guitar straps .. seems like an easy thing to start with

>> No.272106
File: 373 KB, 840x1904, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>272094
forgot pic

There is a long scaled tail as well, but not visible from the front.

>> No.272116

>>272106
nice.. the boots look well constructed

>> No.272122

well I am going to go to bed but I think if this project turns out okay I will post a thread here, and if it turns out like shit I might post a thread asking how to fix it.

peace and thanks