[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 10 KB, 320x240, geta000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
271534 No.271534 [Reply] [Original]

Alright, I can find/figure out how to make geta easily enough.

Does anyone here have any experience with making them? Any tips? Also what do they feel like? Are they durable? Is it possible to attach rubber to the bottom?

>> No.271547

>>271534
This is the simplest shit you could make. No they're not comfy. Yes, you are a weeaboo.

>> No.271578

i made a couple pairs back in highschool like ten years ago, sold on the side to anime geeks and such things for a few bucks, yeah you can ut rubber on the pottom, although i used leather as the noise annoyed me, and the slipping on smooth floors, they are not horribley comfortable, or uncomortable but are kind o fun to walk around it, i'd recomend making padded thongs.
one blok goes back by the heel and the other just a little over half way, its kind o tricky to get the hang in walking in them but its not too hard.

i did have some trouble with getting them to not break at the blocks i eventually used wooden pegs and glue to solve that, though i believe they were traditionally carved rom one piece of wood.

>> No.271582

Yes you can put rubber on the soles. It's supposed to make them really quiet. More importantly sanka-shithole has a page on geta related deaths, it's a good read.

What might be cool is replacing the stubs with similarly shaped shock absorbers. Unlike previous attempts at spring powered shoes these might actually be practical since they would let the wearer stand still.

>> No.271593

>>271582
OP needs detailed instruction on how to make one of the simplest possible projects, EVER.

They obviously don't have the know-how to dress themselves, not to mention re-engineer a Jap sandal to have shock absorbers.

>> No.271595

>>271534
I made a few pairs of ashida geta for a job I once worked. I needed the extra height to work with tomatoes in a huge greenhouse. Mine added 16 inches to my height. They were made from cheap pine boards. However, instead of a thong, I used velcro straps so that I could simply strap them over the shoes I was already wearing. I glued and nailed rubber strips from an old bike tire inner tube to the bottoms of the boards. Because I made them so tall I had to put an extra support board between the two vertical boards.

I used them exclusively on concrete floors. They were pretty awesome.

>> No.271613

>>271595
Honestly that is pretty badass.

>> No.271620

>>271595

You are talking shit. There would never been enough strength in the joints/bond to the sole to hold your weight at 16 inches. It would also be completely unstable and hard to walk in let alone work for hours.

Let me guess you never took any pictures.

Why do people make shit like this up?

>> No.271625
File: 6 KB, 178x171, sushigeta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>271620
Ashida-geta. These ones are 7" but I'm sure you could get much higher with a similar construction and still be stable.

>> No.271661

>>271620
Just because you lack the skill to make them let alone walk in them doesn't mean someone else hasn't made and walked in them.

I used 4" wood screws, wood glue, and wooden braces to keep the ha in line and steady. It is very easy to do. Walking in them is pretty easy. I've even used 24" tengu geta. Those are weird. I've used those ashida geta for several years.

I might still have one pair, but I'm not sure. I gave some of them away. I'll check around today.

>> No.271668

>>271620

you obviously didnt read the post. he added extra support boards, and its posible to do. you just have to engineer the joints properly and they can withstand an earthquake!

go learn some woodworking skills them come back and talk shit

>> No.271674
File: 725 KB, 2048x1536, DSCN0065b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>271661
>>271620
>>271595
I found one of my old unfinished pairs of ashida geta. These are the 12" tall ones and the last I was making. I've given away all my others, including all my 16" ones (to the guy that had the 24" tengu geta). I've used these only enough to make sure they were stable, judging from the wear on the bottoms of the ha. The velcro straps were wrapped under and between the ha then strapped to the foot and had not been attached directly to the geta. I didn't have the bicycle inner tube rubber needed when I was making these so that isn't present either. The rubber would have wrapped over the bottoms and been tacked to the upright sides of the ha so you'd not be walking on the tacks if they were put on the bottom. It also looks better to have the rubber wrapping up like that. The wood bracing is using butt joints so that the ha are both solid pieces. I used finishing nails and glue to secure the wood braces. I used hand tools to cut the boards to prevent problems with length.

These have been in storage for more than 10 years now. lol

>>271534
>Also what do they feel like?

They feel weird. The short geta aren't bad at all. You clop clop clop around and get used to them after only an hour or so. The ashida geta on the other hand take some getting used to, but my boss was able to strap the 16" ones on and start to work without trouble. She had things to hold onto though while she was working and getting use to them. She loved them because she is a short person. lol On the ashida geta you have to get over the feeling of falling forward when you step. Once you get past that you're fine. Tengu geta are essentially stilts and you must have relatively good balance to start using them. Though, you can stand still with them without prancing around to maintain balance like with most stilts.

>> No.271679

Here's a vid of someone walking in 12" Tengu geta. Although, they don't know how to position their feet so they stand still.

>Walking in 12 inch Tengu single tooth Geta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjDMqJ1ALU

>How to make Japanese Geta (wooden clogs) & visiting Gujo Odori by ADEYTO -visual diary series-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkpOlbbZy1E

>> No.271685
File: 25 KB, 440x339, kab-kab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TOLD STATUS:
[ ] NOT TOLD
[ ] TOLD
[ ] FUCKING TOLD
[x] THE MYSTERIOUS CITIES OF TOLD

>> No.271687

>>271685
>pic

+50 to Swagger

>> No.271694

why would you EVER want this?

It's just weeaboo masturbation in the extreme.

>> No.271697

>Not comfortable
>Can't run
>Can't use on uneven ground
>No good in wet conditions

There is no use for these, this is like LARP level stuff, that's all it could be used for.

Can you imagine some jap thinking he'll fly to the UK and wear a suit of armour all day?

>> No.271699

They look like they would work well for working in the garden.

>> No.271708

>>271593
>Alright, I can find/figure out how to make geta easily enough.

English motherfucker, can you read it?

Thank you for all of the replies guys. I am going to do this because I have excess wood, prefer hard soled shoes, dislike most sandals and their designs.

Planning on going with something with lower but wider blocks and rubber on the bottom of said blocks to avoid the annoying sound and to get some traction.

Thank you for the responses, most of you gave me exactly the kind of information I wanted.

>> No.271709

>>271697
>>271694

Uh, people still wear these all over the world. Geta are nice becuse they have the functionality of flip-flops/sandles for putting them on and getting them off. They are great in summer because they are cool. They keep the sole from directly making contact to the ground and splashing water/mud up on you.

The tengu geta are great for walking through deep mud, fyi.

Have you ever worn geta before? All your questions seem like you've never even seen them in person let alone ever worn them.

>> No.271714

The fuck are you guys wearing tables on your feet?

>> No.271721

>>271709
Keep telling that to yourself, weeaboo scum.

>> No.271727
File: 780 KB, 325x203, 1340301679936.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>271721
> weeaboo scum
>weeaboos
>on 4chan
gb2/b/

>> No.271726

Cool. Never even heard of these before.I'm gonna make a pair of super-high ones for some freaky Halloween costume. Maybe dress them up like hooves or something.

>> No.271744

>>271727
Haven't been there in years. Weeaboos make out about 5% of 4chan, dipshit.

>> No.271749

>>271726
The ha that is under the front of the foot has to be placed just right. Too far back and you'll fall forward. Too far forward and when you walk forward you'll trip up and need to walk like you have skates on. If they are higher than 16" you may want to use a hardwood for the ha and have holes in it so it will be much lighter.

>> No.273277

anybody watch deadman wonderland? they had that guy who wore these.

>> No.273309

>>271679

Bump for the blonde Euro girl in kimono in 2nd video. Would be tsundere tengu with that.

>> No.273315

put backward wooden hoofs on the base then people will think it was a deer or pan if they hunt you like a rabid animal.

>> No.273598

made a pair of small ones once. just pine, a small pull saw, some dowel, wood glue, sandpaper, and a drill.

no screws, just glued bottoms to sole, waited until dry, drilled through, cut dowel, covered in glue, hammered it in. seal for bonus points. attach strap.

ironically we went to a Renaissance fair dressed as samurai and it rained a lot. they were super useful walking in the mud, kept my feet dry.