[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 56 KB, 550x413, Hire container 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
268753 No.268753 [Reply] [Original]

Looking for plans for shipping container house.Using 2 or 3 containers.clear and easy to follow.Ty /diy :D

>> No.268756

Bumping for curiosity

>> No.268761

Have them arranged into the shape of an open triangle with two of them facing forward in one corner, and enough space to go in between any corner(maybe put up fence doors?). In the middle is where you can set up a tent and cook outside.
The third container could be your storage where all your food and other important stuff goes. The other two could be just bedrooms with fold out furniture.

>> No.268762

>>268753
It's been well-established that it's not economical to do this unless you already have the containers, they're not in shitty condition, and you more or less have all the building materials already you need to outfit them and make them livable. Otherwise it's just a money-sink that ends up with shit-tier quality living space that you'll regret. Face it, you just have to put up with paying rent like the rest of us, pal.

>> No.268790
File: 330 KB, 700x510, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(No OP here.) Hey guys, I already have a carwash which basically consists of 2 really big containers (8m x 4m). I have almost no money from them being a carwash. I live in the UK now, but the problem is that the carwash is in Russia. Any ideas how to make use of that?

>> No.268937

http://containerhome.info/30-most-influential-container-homes.html

The PDF on the page has lots of good info and ideas

>> No.268976

Short answer: Its a bad idea and you would probably build a cheaper and more reliable home with traditional or mostly traditional methods.

Longer answer: Its a tricky idea. You will notice that most of those amazing architectural contraptions strip most containers down to a light steel frame in most places, or replace entire walls, or use a much greater amount of other expensive materials and techniques. Its like nailing a flattened soda-can to the wall of a standard house and calling it "The Soda-Can House"

A somewhat reasonable project for someone to consider would be placing two containers on concrete pilings or a slab with a space between them. Enclose the space, use the containers 2 outside walls (or 3 or 4, depending on how you box them) as part of the support. Then you will have two long rooms that you can cut doors into and/or subdivide with large public spaces inside.

>though you could do this with other techniques and it may well be cheaper or easier.

>> No.269086

Look; I know you people mean well, but making houses out of containers is a bloody hassle. It's infinitely more economical to make it out of traditional/semi-traditional materials, and more comfortable and less maintenance.

Some ideas include using concrete with high R-value insulation cast right into it; or just using concrete in general, it's sleek, modern, waterproof, tough, and best of all cheap.

>> No.269197

Does anyone have any experience of shipping the containers?

>> No.269220

Why is this thread still on Page 1? Living in containers is bullshit and everybody knows it. If it was such a damned good idea then you'd see them everywhere wouldn't you? The fact that you don't is a good sign that it's a stupid idea. Please, let this thread drop.

>> No.269282
File: 131 KB, 600x800, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>269220
hell no! What about some little businesses in those? London has even a retail boxpark: www.boxpark.co.uk

>> No.269387

>>269197
Easy you just contact a freight forwarder and get them to do it.
See if they will let you offset the cost by selling the internal space for cargo.
See if they can "exchange" containers with you in the UK so your's don't even have to leave the country

>> No.269479
File: 2.99 MB, 3264x2448, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>269387
You, Sir, are just awesome! Thank you for the great exchange idea! Could you please give me some (fake)contact details like mail or whatever so I could just ask you a couple of questions?

>> No.269555

here ya go....

http://acidcow.com/pics/22326-a-home-built-from-two-shipping-containers-134-pics.html

>> No.269556

>>269220

see above link...this, im sure, is nicer than where you live now.

>> No.269557
File: 118 KB, 600x397, Side_view_with_sm_window__29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright, /diy/kes, listen up.

Storage container housing is bottom tier, and not as cheap as you are lead to believe. Maintenance costs will be large, and expect hilarious heating and cooling bills. Metal conducts heat, which means that you "house" will be a sauna in the summer, and an icebox during the winter.

Invest in a 'tiny home'. These can be built for under ten thousand dollars, can be mounted on wheels for transport, allow for plumbing and electricity if you're crafty, and you could heat it with a handful of candles if you're cold.

ffs - just do the smart thing. This will last longer, be more comfortable, and is more aesthetic. Plans are available online for free in some places, and it's not difficult to torrent some architecture books for building codes, etc.

>> No.269625

First off:

If you want to enclose as much area as possible for the least amount of material, you go with a many sided polygon or a circular layout.

The circular layout is the most efficient, but furniture won't fit nicely against it, so lets say you opt for a hexagon.

A hexagon can be broken into 6 identical equilateral triangles. These triangles can tessellate into something looking like a parallelogram.

What I want to see is a modular house concept that can be prefabricated, sit on a flatbed truck tessellated for storage, and then be constructed into a house onsite.

Perhaps it could be made robust enough to be disassembled and reassembled several times.

Surface area is important for other reasons. Heat transfer into the house is proportional to surface area. A hexagonal house of equal square footage will require less heating and cooling expense compared to a rectangular house.

>> No.269646

>>269557

This is correct if you don't cover the outside in something else, like stucco or clapboards and also fail to insulate it. Generally though you'll want to simply use the container as your structure. I've seen some professionally made "container homes" and unless someone told you you wouldn't even know. Outside and inside the look just like a normal house and they cost about 1/3rd less to build and go up in about half the time because you can skip most of the framing stage. IIRC the Bob Villa website had a video on this style of container home, maybe check it out. Other than that stay clear of Villa's shit, hes a TV personality, not a builder. Same deal why that Ty Pennington tard. Unless its Holmes, Carolla or Abram all of those TV home builders are retarded.

>> No.269660
File: 2.85 MB, 2448x3264, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>269557
well mine 2 are just steel frames covered with sandwich panels, so I have no insulation problems

>> No.270010
File: 253 KB, 600x800, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has someone dealt with non-standard containers? I mean not full metal 3x6, but smth different?

>> No.271201
File: 94 KB, 542x283, firstpostondiy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This the best way to arrange them, because you will have a terrace.

This means you will need staircase -im not so sure how easy it is to cut holes into these (so the stairs arent outside your house).
Id use the upper container as a bedroom, the one below as the kitchen and living room, the third one as bathroom and storing room

>> No.271208

do a search on " container house dos and donts " esp the youtbe vids on Floor Joists ,Floor bolts raising it off the ground and how to anchor it in the ground to prevent rust ehow.com/list_6149360_cons-building-container-house.html

you might want to spray the walls with rust resistant vinyl paint and rubber coating on the underside if there is high evaporation rates or live in humid and moist area