[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 992 KB, 960x720, 1329986289422.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
268738 No.268738 [Reply] [Original]

I need to make some money, but for the life of me, I cannot find a job ANYWHERE
I'm in the middle of college, so that makes it even harder. Even when I lie or cover it up, people manage to just figure out that I'm trying to make some money for the summer to burn, but I actually NEED it.

How can I make some quick cash?

>> No.268757

Do you have any money to start with?
Buy and resell electronics. I bought several DS's the other day and I plan on reselling them once I restore them, I figure I can get maybe $40 profit on each one.

>> No.268758
File: 15 KB, 350x327, NO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have a sale on a vacant lot, ebay would take too long.

>> No.268764

>>268738
give up smoking weed and you'll have more money

>> No.268766

snagajob.com
Indeed.com
monster.com

Some good job hunting sites

>> No.268770
File: 112 KB, 611x404, c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://blogmaverick.com/2012/02/29/making-money-as-a-student/

beat the system.

>> No.268779
File: 177 KB, 450x644, welcome-to-modernity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>268764
Plenty of successful people have smoked weed while making themselves.

>>268738
Go to your local day labor. Make wooden slide whistles. You're supposed to be planning for the rest of your life right now, so figure something out. If you REALLY need money, sell plasma.

>> No.268794

>>268779
>Plenty of successful people have smoked weed while making themselves.

yes but if you don't have a job and need money you probably shouldn't be buying weed

>> No.268796

Not OP, but I'm having difficulty finding a job as well.

>Pharmacy cashier for 2 years
>Photo dude at Walgreens for a year
>Pharmacy tech for a year

I'm applying at shit chains because they'll be able to work around my school schedule better than a local shop. I haven't gotten one interview, am I overqualified or some bullshit?

>> No.268799

testing

>> No.268857

>>268796
I am by no means a medical professional nor do I have any idea what so ever about their hiring policies but from the looks of it, find a hospital and apply for their pharmaceutical department. I know that hospitals don't sell medicine, at least not in my neck of the woods, but as far as I can figure there needs to be SOMEONE sorting out the aspirin, painkillers, sleep medication, and what not. Maybe they just use nurses to do that, it wouldn't surprise me if they did but it's at least worth looking into.
If you live in Europe I hear that they have pharmacists that deliver medication to people who are unable to leave their home for whatever reason. Again, I could be wrong but, again, worth checking out.

>> No.268860

>>268796
fellow pharm tech here

I feel bad for you son

>> No.268877

>sign up for Monster's affiliate program
>create a generic catch all job wanted ad
>print out millions
>splatter all over campus with your Monster.com affiliate link
>??? profits?

>> No.268947

>>268757
Fuck you, asshole. eBay is my turf, you nigger.

>> No.268964

>>268947

>eBay
>just one guy

>> No.269006
File: 798 KB, 806x601, IT NEVER ENDS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the search for a job

>> No.269080

>>268947
>thinks he's the only one to have had this idea

>> No.269090

>>268738
see>>255487

>> No.269111

Do some odd jobs and earn some side cash, take a security or PI course and ace that shit, took me 2 days to find a job. Granted its 8.50 an hr but its a job that allows for expansion and promotion. Its a little boring but keep strong and take baby steps, you'll find that with the right certs and credentials you'll get higher paying posts. good luck!

>> No.269202 [DELETED] 
File: 704 KB, 748x1273, captcha solver.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

well since you're already familiar with captcha, try this info graph.
wont get rich quick but it does work if you get the odd spare hour here and there.

>> No.269203

>started working in high school at a pathology billing clinic, age 17
>job runs out due to software replacing the need for my manual data entry 4 years later
>begin job tutoring math/manufacturing tech at my local community college
>next year begin work at local funeral home while taking engineering courses and still tutoring math

You fucks complaining about not being able to find jobs aren't trying hard enough. I'm working two and going to school; don't limit what you're willing to work - "young" funeral home workers are rare, fast food / retail is almost always hiring. Suck up your pride and do something. And no, none of the jobs I've ever worked / am currently working required a drug test, so that's not a good excuse either.

>> No.269219

>>269202
In other words, "get paid by spammers to defeat the CAPTCHA system so they can fill the internet with even more spam than it already has". No fucking thanks.

>> No.269239

I am going into the field of clandestine mycology. I feel this is a fairly reasonable way to make some untaxed cash on the side

>> No.269285

>>269202
Trying it out. Pretty slow stuff and the pay is shit unless you're doing it at certain hours.

Thanks either way.

>> No.269374

>>269203
>You fucks complaining about not being able to find jobs aren't trying hard enough. I'm working two and going to school; don't limit what you're willing to work - "young" funeral home workers are rare, fast food / retail is almost always hiring. Suck up your pride and do something. And no, none of the jobs I've ever worked / am currently working required a drug test, so that's not a good excuse either.

I haven't. There aren't any jobs out there, that's the problem. Retail, janitoral, looking for anything and everything.

>> No.269398

>>269203
>ou fucks complaining about not being able to find jobs aren't trying hard enough

Fuck you, I've applied as waste collector, multiple times. Even then I don't get called back.

>> No.269408

in Denmark you can actually make a decent living collecting bottles from the street, you don't pay taxes from it either.

>> No.269412

>>269374
>anything and everything
Become a gay prostitute.
If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you can always turn cans and bottles in on your free time.

>> No.269421
File: 58 KB, 512x288, bottledeposits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.269425

>go to flea market
>buy a bunch of shit
>mark up the prices and place on ebay
>???
>literal profit

>> No.269428

>>269203
don't give me that shit. Old people with more experience and better references are taking all the shitty jobs that college and high school kids usually get because they've all lost their good paying jobs.

>> No.269430

>Apply for jobs online, get no interviews
>Go in stores and ask if they're hiring, told to apply online

I'm starting to get pissed off.

>> No.269442

>>269430
Protip: "Apply Online" means "we're not hiring"

>> No.269453

>>269442
Some companies literally do not have print applications anymore.

>> No.269547
File: 42 KB, 640x480, 1334900157474.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>269430
>Have NOW HIRING SIGN UP
>go in store and ask for application
>fill it out
>Thanks, we'll be reviewing these 6 months from now!

Is this some sort of coporate practical joke?

>> No.269551

>>269453
>Most companies.
Fixed.

The place I work at (fast food) doesn't have paper applications and the management is told to tell people to go to apply on snagajob.

Though we actually do hire people from it.

>> No.269554

>>269547
Many companies, such as my own, require us to always have a hiring sign up. It's more a corporate statement that we as a company are always hiring, not a specific location.

It's dumb as shit, but that's what's up.

>> No.269559

>>268738

MFW OP keeps submitting his data to companies for FREE.

MFW OP will submit the same data in 6 months to 1 year.

Enjoying spreading around your entire work history?

I bet you get more spam mail than job offers now.

>> No.269578

>>269554
>Many companies, such as my own, require us to always have a hiring sign up. It's more a corporate statement that we as a company are always hiring, not a specific location.

That's like having a Free Oranges! Sign up, and then go inside, and they tell you that they're free after you purchase them.

Do they like seeing the crushed face of people looking for work or something? What fucking gives?

>> No.269580

>>269578

It's actually a whole lot more of a jerkass thing than that.

Some companies want to secure seasonal workers as early as possible, and others just want to keep people on strings that they can pull in if they have a sudden labor shortage (and let them go just as easily once the shortage has passed).

>> No.269581

>>269580
So basically it's a ploy to have as many desperate workers on hand as possible?

Doesn't that...go without saying that people looking for a job badly would go anywhere? Why the sign if they're not actually hiring?

>> No.269587

>>268738
>I cannot find a job ANYWHERE
TRY HARDER, FAGGOT.

>> No.269594

>>269581
HR people get their pick of the litter when they need someone. Instead of only having a handful of resumes, you get about

Side note: great idea to cash in on the monied & desperate - start a service to send other peoples' resumes out to as many places as possible. mine the personal info and sell it to marketers. take job tests for your applicants for them or supply them with all of the right answers beforehand. lots of avenues (gray hat or otherwise) you could take this idea down.

this idea is also open source:
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

>> No.269599

>>269594
>walk into JCPennys.
>Ask if you can give them a resume
>they say yes
>hand them 50 peoples resumes
>walk next door into forever 21
>repeat

yeah sounds like a plan

>> No.269602

I'm kind of in your situation OP. Best way that I've found to make money is to just do work or odd housework jobs for neighbors or friends of friends. Recently put up a new fence last week for some neighbors, week before that, moved some rocks for some guy I met while walking the dog for my grandparents. Honestly, it feels pretty shitty what with it not being an actual job that I can put on a resume, but I do quality work , so at least I can use them as references, and I have a bit of money to use for some things I want/need from time to time

>> No.269629

If your a "creative"(media/entertainment) type of person try doing various things around the net.

If you can draw then try starting a up a webcomic or doing art commissions. You'd be very surprised at how much someone would be willing to pay for fanart of their favorite anime/game/comic/etc. charcter.

If you into filming or photography or want to try it out (and have the knowhow) then you could try
contracting yourself out to someone to make an short film, or take pictures of scenery and make a photo book.

If you're vocal and music geared you could try singing, voice acting, or just making general music.
Though if you're going into vocals you should have some knowledge on recording (and possibly mixing)
and also being able to maintain your voice.
As for making music itself, if you can't play any instruments then pick up a music making program (you can get one for cheap at about $50 at Best Buy) and just make background music for other singers.

If you're able to write you could always try starting up a blog or maybe try writing short stories and try having them published.

Results won't show up imeddiately and most of the time it won't work out.
As long you stay on ship with what you're doing and whatever you do is considered "interesting"
towards whichever crowd you're trying to hit you'll see results.

>> No.269629,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>269629
thanks, I needed that.