[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.03 MB, 3202x5000, Diogenese at Corinth by John William Waterhouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2685457 No.2685457 [Reply] [Original]

What things are necessary to keep in your car?

I just had a big argument with my wife because her massive, expensive, doesn't-fold-up children's wagon thing she uses once a month had slight trouble fitting, and removed my entire box (6"x20"x36") of emergency items I like to keep in the car. The items are as follows

>10' Jumper Cables
>5' Jumper Cables
>50pc ratchet/wrench/screwdriver/pliers set
>6'x6' tarp
>box of nitrile gloves
>leather work gloves
>big roll of duct tape
>bag of assorted zip ties
>50' of 3/4" nylon rope
>folding shovel
>electric scissor jack
>four big 3" ratchet straps
>First Aid kit with wound dressings and basic meds
>Iodine tablets
>Beach towel
>set of basic junk clothes for each person in family

In her car she kept
>5' Jumper cables

Naturally each car has a factory spare tire kit (iron, spare, manual scissor jack)

I'm sure everyone here will agree with me that she should carry WAY more. Her excuse is "I'll just call Triple A :)" or "Some nice man will see me and help". Which, for someone who is usually extremely intelligent, is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard.

So I ask you /diy/: Am I being unreasonable? What things are the absolutely minimum you should carry in your trunk? If it were up to me, I'd have a much nicer med kit, a way better tool kit, a hydraulic trolley jack, jumpsuit, highviz vest, boots, freeze-dried food, fresh water, and maybe one or two other things.

>> No.2685459

>>>/o/

>> No.2685460

Shes a woman, someone will probably stop to help her. Also why two different length jumper cables? And why a beach towel?

>> No.2685462

Oh, added useful context: we live in an extremely hot desert city and rarely leave city streets/freeways.

>>2685459
NO no no no this is definitely a /diy/ thing. I am not a car fag so my requirements are vastly different than theirs. I, like many /diy/ types, like to be extremely prepared and kitted out for anything, within reason. All the items I keep are for common, multipurpose DIY activities and fixes. Obviously I don't need to carry a 3D printer around, but something low weight/size and high usefulness like zip ties should be de rigueur

>> No.2685463
File: 430 KB, 960x1280, 96780978-B339-4772-A36B-9F8F5E032101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685457
Ditch the cables and get jumper bricks. There’s pretty good ones for $50-$70 that you can easily get 5+ years out of. One use is cheaper than calling a tow or even missing a couple hours of work waiting for a willing citizen to give you a jump.

12V inflators are super helpful. And tire plugs, it’s often easier to throw a plug in than put the spare on.

Assorted spare fuses, the kits are tiny so you won’t even notice them.

I keep a cheap multimeter in my car. And ratchet straps. And a 1/2” impact wrench. And an 18V inflator because it’s better than the gay slow 12V inflators. But all of this stuff gets used to help others out the majority of the time and it’s only useful if you know what your doing. I could put a test light in the wife’s car and it would be a waste. But multimeter is always great to see if your battery is toast and you should limp it to Walmart, or if you should go to VatoZone and grab an alternator.

>> No.2685466
File: 310 KB, 960x1280, E080284C-CE5B-4BF0-9FB3-EBD72CEE6A7C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685460
I have a beach blanket in my car, sort of like a picnic blanket, and it’s surprisingly useful. It’s in pic related when I was helping out my old neighbor so I didn’t scratch up the fender.

>>2685462
But seriously, think about a jumper brick. I have bought half a dozen of em over the past ~5 years and even old women do good using them, they’re more stupid-proof than jumper cables.

>> No.2685467

>>2685460
>Also why two different length jumper cables?
The 5' is just in case 10' won't do it and I just have to daisy chain them together.

>And why a beach towel?
I can lie on it if I have to get something from under the car, can wipe things if I/her/kids get messy or wet, all sorts of reasons. Never leave your house without a towel.

>> No.2685468

>>2685457
> First Aid kit with wound dressings and basic meds
> Naturally each car has a factory spare tire kit (iron, spare, manual scissor jack)
> 5' Jumper cables
Yes

Rest: no. That is unless you take really long trips through middle of nowhere desert with no cell coverage on a daily basis. But 99% chance you’re over prepping for situations that will never occur. If you don’t trust the car to keep running, make it trustworthy instead of turning it into a rolling auto repair shop

>> No.2685475

>>2685468
Do consider that most of the kit isn't for repairing the car per-se. I have had plenty of occasions where I gotta touch something with gloves, or temporarily fix something, tighten something, restrain something, etc

>> No.2685476
File: 214 KB, 400x299, 7D51B1FE-0007-4C42-8C62-4BD33D576E42.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685467
Kek, I imagine it takes awhile to jump shit with the 10’ and 5’ chained up and a super dead battery unless you’re one of the few people with good thick jumper cables.

The number of times I have had to explain to people why their $14 Chinesium potmetal jumper cables won’t start a big v6 off a little Civic with a crusty battery unless they let it charge awhile…

>> No.2685481

>>2685476
>The number of times I have had to explain to people why their $14 Chinesium potmetal jumper cables won’t start a big v6 off a little Civic with a crusty battery unless they let it charge awhile…
Interesting, I didn't know the thickness was relevant to that. The 10' are super nice, thick as hell with heavy duty clamps. The 5' are shit free from AAA.

>> No.2685490

>>2685481
Oh yea, it’s a lot of current going through those jumper cables. Cheap $10-$15 short sets take a little while to crank larger engines if the battery is low. Good cables that will jump a V8 right away cost $$$, copper isn’t cheap and the length matters a lot too because DC at amps like that drops off so fast, it’s like $100 for something like 20ft cables that work well.

And a lot of Chinesium will use aluminum, or copper coated aluminum to save money and fool you, and it conducts worse than full copper. Double that when you have cheap light duty copper coated aluminum clamps.

That being said, I have a cheap set of jumper cables in my car, the cheaper set from Walmart, but I know what to expect from them and sometimes you need to push the car out of a parking spot to reach. I got better ones with some length for my boomer mom so she doesn’t get confused.

That being said, I know I bought another set of cables like a year ago when I was working and a friend got stranded at Walmart and I can’t remember what I did with em.

>> No.2685499

>>2685490
Dammit, I found em, 2 sets of jumper cables in the back of my car for some reason. I spent $40 on these 4AWG cables from Walmart to help a coworker who left the headlights on, and Walmart is somewhat affordable for jumper cables compared to AutoZone and shit.

Would’ve rather spent the money on another jumper brick because they double as big USB power banks and work way better for jumping cars.

>> No.2685511
File: 1.11 MB, 666x928, whats_in_the_boot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685457
depends - theres cultural differences

>> No.2685521

>>2685457
I only keep a portable battery, clothes, paper towels.

>> No.2685524

Decent 16-20' jumper cables are $20-40. Save the five footers for nipple clamps.

>> No.2685528

>>2685524
Even more, the $20 versions are like 8AWG, was just reading the cable and the 8AWG is good for 160A or something, that’s not enough to start most cars unless the battery in the dead car is just a little bit too low. The 4AWG were marked 330A I think, and those are straight but will still take a couple minutes to jump a car with a real flat battery. Those cables can’t actually carry enough energy to crank the starter of the other car, you’re relying on the dead car’s battery to catch a little bit of a charge while the cables are connected and then maybe the dead car’s battery is able to give you 100A and the jumper cables carry another 100A.

Good 20ft+ 2ga minimum if you want to be jumping anything more than a 4cyl if the battery is really fucked. And when you start getting into that $50 range, you can go look at lithium jumper bricks. I’ve been super impressed with my Amazon bricks.

>> No.2685535

>>2685457
My truck has all the necessities . My wife's does not.
I am ucking fugly, my wife is hot. People will help her, so why bother?

>> No.2685539

>>2685535
That works, except when she calls you and you’re trying to ask some questions to diagnose the problem by phone, and you hear rando dude come up and start acting like he knows the problem and it sounds like the average /o/ poster who rides the short bus to school.

“Just tell him your husband and a tow truck are on the way…”

>> No.2685801

>>2685539
>some rando dude come up and start acting like he knows the problem
I always fear this exact scenario happening, then I remember that I'm not married.

>> No.2685852

>>2685468
>make it trustworthy instead of turning it into a rolling auto repair shop
Not op, but I keep a few tools in my car, because I don't like running home or to the store because I need something like a screwdriver.

Get one of those HF tool bags that looks like an oversized shaving kit. If all your car tools don't fit in, think hard about whether you think you need it because the car isn't reliable, or the parts that are unnecessary.

>> No.2685856
File: 124 KB, 800x600, UltraConductAl-table-800x600 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685490
I've never seen aluminum jumper cables. Wouldn't you be able to tell just by weight?

>> No.2685902

>>2685457
HT radio

>> No.2685903

>>2685457
A cell phone. You aren't repairing your car on the side of the road. It's not the 50s, you don't have a pile of extra parts in the trunk.

>> No.2685911

>>2685801
It’s ok, because I tell her the guy has no clue what he’s talking about and I save the day later.

>>2685856
Nah I don’t think the weight will be that much different on cheap ass 6AWG-10AWG jumper cables. Plus the chinesium is mostly “copper clad aluminum”, it tricks normies and they don’t advertise the aluminum, you’re lucky if you find it in the fine print because it’s them trying to cut costs.

I would bet evem if the wire is full copper, the clamps on many <$25 jumpers are going to be copper coated aluminum or steel.

>> No.2685912
File: 85 KB, 341x384, Screenshot_2023-09-23_12-02-26.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685903
>You aren't repairing your car on the side of the road. It's not the 50s,

>driving my 65 F100 to work
>stops running in rush hour idiot traffic
>manage to coast onto shoulder
>not sure why, but I touched the distributor rotor and realized it would spin freely
>pull distributor. gear pin has sheared. repair with finishing nail
>manage to time the ignition somehow
>get to work 1 hour late

The funny part is six months prior I decided the 40 year old distributor was getting on in years so I bought a remanufactured one, where the roll pin looked like a rolled up sheet of tin foil.

>> No.2685913
File: 170 KB, 751x1280, 4B6D29AD-624C-4D30-AF9F-697C07D7D8F5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685911
>>2685856
Forgot pic

And I would bet most Cu clad Al jumper cables on Amazon don’t even mention the aluminum on the description,

>> No.2685938

>>2685912
> using old points distributor
> hasn't upgraded to a pertronix
I would have fixed your lazy ass for putting in ancient garbage instead of upgrade to something more reliable.

>> No.2685947

>>2685528
I just bought 4g 16' 330amp cables two years ago for $20 (same ones are $25 now). I've jumped all kinds of vehicles with them and have never had to wait a significant amount of time. The clamp connection limits the amperage that can be delivered, anyway. For the average Joe, I don't think it matters that much.

>> No.2685985

>>2685524
>>2685528
This. Good cables are $$$. Like upwards of 100 and beyond. I absolutely loathe that copper clad aluminum bullshit...

>> No.2685987

>>2685938
He didn't say anything about the points in his post, so maybe he has upgraded to a pertronix module...

>> No.2686000
File: 73 KB, 728x728, B500T__81788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685457
Anon, no fire extinguisher, FAK, triangles and/or some kind of light? Get the refillable kind like picrel.
I keep one of those battery jumper boxes, in case I'm alone.
>In her car
NGMI. My wife has no interest in cars besides safe and fits our kids and their 6 gorrililion suitcases. She drives my SUV, that has my emergency supplies in it and she respects me enough not to mess with them unless she needs to, and even then she calls me for a wlakthru like when the battery died one winter.
Likewise I respect her enough not to mess with her shit I have no interest in.
>>2685460
>Shes a woman, someone will probably stop
I'm a Texan so same rule applies. We stop for anyone who doesn't look too ghetto. Although one time I stopped and it turned out it was a couple fighting in the thicket, just left their car on the highway with doors open.
That being said, it behoves us as men to be able to take of yourself and not count on kindness of strangers.

>> No.2686043

>>2686000
I sort of want the insurance money if the car bursts into flames, the fire extinguishers stay at home. The triangles or something are a good idea, I have a yellow vest in the trunk, but tbqhwy, if your hazard lights and 4000lbs of painted steel don’t show up in the field of view of a drunk Jose or Karen all Xannied up or Mackenzie taking a selfie, the triangles won’t do shit.

>>2685947
Those are the ones I paid $37 for maybe a year ago. That’s probably the lowest tolerable gauge for getting work done, but still if you need to jump a larger engine with a small car or you have a super dead shorted out battery or something, they still take a little time. They’re not an automatic start on a dead V8 that hasn’t been cranked in a couple months like the 1AWG+ fleet service guys have that cost $100.

>> No.2686083

>>2685457
No Anon you're being perfectly reasonable. Personally what I keep my car is:

>3' jumper cable
>5' jumper cables
>10' jumper cales
>15' jumper cables
>first aid kit
>20' jumper cables
>Plumbing Toolbox
>Electrical toolbox
>5' towel
>Colchester student 1800 lathe (In case i need to machine a new cam shaft on a roadtrip)
>Engine hoist and stands
>couple of MRE's in case I get hungry
>Extra towel

>> No.2686355

>>2686083
>doesn't have 25' jumper cables
NGMI

>> No.2686447

>>2686043
>1AWG+ fleet service guys have that cost $100.
don't service vehicles and tow trucks have higher amperage alternators for all their systems?

The alternator on my old Subaru Justy I think was 200 amps. The best conductor can't improve on amps that aren't there to give. But whatever shitty set of cables I had back then worked fine to jump many cars in college. Just took time.

>> No.2686467
File: 700 KB, 828x1346, 8D59A8F8-4CDA-4153-A8EC-6BA441D6D8EC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2686447
I’m sure the big trucks have bigger alternators. And diesels often have more than one battery. But it’s not really about the alternator, the battery on the good vehicle should have plenty of power to crank the other one, especially when the vehicle is running at 14V and has an extra few amps to throw at it, but DC power drops off so fucking fast over distance, the reason why batteries are normally so close to the starters and a thick ass cable going directly to the starter.

>tfw your work truck has 4x 1000CCA batteries and takes two of pic related to jump when the batteries are super flat
Those TruckPacs are fun, sometimes it looks like the clamps are about to weld themselves to the battery terminals.

Also something funny about that, a lot of these newer diesel trucks have posts on the frame where you can hook up jumper cables so you don’t have to open the battery box, and 50% of the time the extra couple feet of thick wire won’t drump the trucks right away, but going straight to the battery works.

>> No.2686807

>>2685457
thats why you dont keep such things in a box but rather in cloth bags spread around. your 6x20x36 box takes up that place no matter what, a bag you can squeeze and manipulate into almost any size and shape, hide it under the seat, behind the side cover in the trunk, everywhere...

>> No.2686928

>>2686043
The triangles are for the psychological effect. It’s for the people who see your car but ignore it and drive as close as if you were in another lane. You stick the cone/triangle/flare out to the distance you want them to keep and they will slow down and move over. Given your fire extinguisher spiel I’m not surprised these simple concepts escape you.

>> No.2687778

>>2685457
spare tire, lug wrench - I like the kind that is a single lug with a pry bar on the end, the pry bar can be handy also it's better for hitting people than the 4 spoke lug type if you get into a road rage incident and beat someone with it. A bottle jack is a lot nicer than those weird things that are all criss cross kinda jack I just don't trust it at all not that I wouldn't try to avoid getting under it but I'd try to avoid getting under that criss cross one a little bit extra more like an imaginary line that you don't cross because the floor is lava there.
Folding shovel in winter.
I don't really like to keep more in my car than that unless it fits where the spare goes and you can cover it up, most people trying to break into cars don't really look under there. Otherwise a go bag should have your normal I'm stuck for a day supplies. go/assault/bugout bag or whatever you want to call it.
Even then I'd maybe not have that stuff I live in a city drug addicts or people with a grudge will stalk you and try to steal shit. It's probably better just to leave it empty and unlocked a lot of the time so they don't knock out a window. Dirty mike and the boys probably aren't going to use it as a fuck shack in your driveway or a parking lot.

>> No.2687780

>>2686928
I know, I have used the triangles before in the truck, and they still get run over when you try to put them over far enough to convince people to change lanes and give you space to work.

A coworker had 2 people rear end his trailer within like a year because they were staring at their phones while he was slowing down to make a wide right turn. One looked up from their phone at the last second and shaved off the passenger side of their car, the other died and he quit the job shortly after that.

If people don’t see your vehicle or the flashing hazard lights because they’re too busy swiping right, they’re not going to see the triangles. Cell phones, especially smart phones, that shit is a gamechanger as far as safety on the roads.

>> No.2687828

>>2686083
KEK

>> No.2687831

Agreed on the jumper box. Also makes it faster when some rando asks for help with a jump. Much faster than moving your vehicle, stretching cables, etc. Just remember to charge it every now and then. I had cheap ones that were dead when I needed them.

Agree with the bottle jack too. Much easier than the scissor crap.

I went with a good size breaker bar with lug nut sockets in the size of the truck and camper. If I can’t help my wife for whatever reason, I want her to have plenty of leverage and the socket she needs.

I changed out my zip ties for metal ones. Less likely to be impacted by the heat as they go largely unused for years.

Also got a pair of gloves to keep my soft supple hands clean.

>> No.2687835

>>2687831
Also a Frogg Toggs rain suit. Cheap and hopefully will keep me dry if it’s pouring down rain. However, I will probably still end up soaked from sweating my ass off in a coat. I live in a hot climate.

>> No.2687874

Phx az here. Towel and gloves for changing tire. Solar charger for phone Phillips head and knife. Bottle of water. Safety vest rolled into a ball.

Anything more serious than a flat, auto insurance pays for toe truck

First aid kit is nice, but honestly, all that shit you carry seems like way too much for everyday city living.

>> No.2687878

>>2685457
This is b8 right? You kept a 3’ x 2’ box in your wife’s car at all times?

>> No.2687880
File: 121 KB, 1000x1500, pool&#039;s closed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2687882

>>2685457
Might want to throw in a tow strap as well, they are always handy to have.

>> No.2687951
File: 66 KB, 750x1000, 1667118361228307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685457
bros, I helped some guy in a parking lot change his tyre the other day. I had never done it before but I got it done in about 10 minutes. Are you guys proud? I know I am.

>> No.2687973

>>2687951
Nice

I helped a dude in a Lexus GX or whatever big SUV with a flat a few years ago, he gave me $50 and I used that $50 to buy a pair of 6-ton jack stands.

I can’t imagine being a man who has to ask another man for help to change his tire. Anyway that Lexus had a little bottle jack instead of the crappy scissor jack and it extended super high. Wish every car had one of those.

>>2687882
I got one of those too, just know what you’re doing before you strap on to another car and cause damage or hurt somebody. The amount of idiots who forget that brakes don’t really work when the car isn’t running.

>> No.2687992

>>2685457
bro if you're not driving around with a hoist, a winch, full ER medical tool kit(scalpel, antiseptic), welding tools, compressor, generator, a week of mre's, ham radio and 100+ batteries, knife, firearms, incediaries, explosives, etc you're just carrion for the AAA vultures.

>> No.2689418

>>2685457
I drive broken 30y/o trucks with a craftsman wrench and 4 sockets as my only contingency. my spare tire is dry rotted through the sidewall and rusted to the underside of my vehicle. you can get by with some jumper cables you gigantic faggot

>> No.2690244

Have
Jumps
4.5 to 32 mm sockets
Wratchet strap
3/8 socket wrench
1/2 breaker
Longsleeve

>> No.2690245

>>2687973
Tossed a cheap walmart kit in one of my trucks after the stock bottle jack failed to lift the car.

>> No.2690382

>>2685457
half my driving is between long four wheeler and snowmachine trails so i end up overprepared because i keep my stuff in truck

>jumper cables
>gas cans
>saw
>shovel
>rope winch
>lots of food
>lots of water
>lots of clothes and layers
>firestarting stuff
>electronics charging stuff
>hobbled together, incomplete tool kit
>tire inflator
>zip ties, spark plugs, ether, etc
just got a jumper pack too because i saw a friend use one and was amazed

>> No.2690471

>>2685457
I have:
tire inflator
jumper pack
jumper cables

just in case box (partial list):
various batteries
measuring tape
fire starter
knife
am/fm/sw radio
analog small volt meter
disposable razors
tylenol
ibuprophen
naproxen
blood pressure cuff
tape that only sticks to itself
tweezers
bar of soap
blade sharpening stone
common tools
various bungees
sewing kit
nitrile gloves
led work light
magnifying glass
glow sticks
sharpees
bacteen
OFF
gauze pads
bandages
tire repair kit
automotive fuses
gloves
steel wool
various ziplock bags
expired epipen
lock picking kit
tea lights
Ace bandages
zip ties (nylon and steel)
alligator test leads
12v test light
etc.

ammo can with tools

>> No.2690472

>>2687880
how'd that go for ya?

>> No.2690520

>>2685457
This is what my wife keeps in her car in order of importance by our standards:
Manual tire jack and tire iron
Escape hammer(in driver door or center console)
Jumper cables
Tire pressure checker
First aid kit
2-3 small flashlights
Spare fuses kit
Emergency blanket

There is a bunch more less important stuff, but it all fits in a small emergency bag that takes up a little less than 1ft cubed. The first aid kit is the only thing in its own bag and the tire stuff is tucked away with the spare tire. On long trips, we will take a battery charger. We can't keep that in the car permanently because the heat would make it explode in the trunk.
Wife still keeps a diaper bag that sits under the kids feet. That's where we keep any spare clothes since it has to be swapped out regularly as the kids are getting bigger.

>> No.2690591

>>2685490
This is wrong. The size of the conductor doesn't limit current in any way. Your anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. The dead battery pulls as many amps as it needs regardless, and if the conductor is too small for the current it melts.

>> No.2690720

around town I don't carry anything but a heavy-duty jumper pack, maybe some spare fuses, a flashlight, nitrile gloves, mechanic's gloves
in winter I will throw in a bag of winter gear, hi-vis jacket, etc.
a rescue knife and whatever knife I'm wearing
I don't currently even carry a spare as they take up way too much room
chances are if something breaks it will not be fixable roadside with or without tools

at some point it's like either
>just give up and get a reliable car
or
>just tow a mobile shop trailer behind you
or
>just have your mechanic follow you in his service truck
you'll always end up missing some item you will need

I once had a gas tank let go and dump 10 gallons in seconds... what roadside repair are doing for that? how much JB weld do you carry?
I know my vehicles and I know your 6AWG (labeled "4 gauge" but double insulated to hide the missing wire) chinesium booster cables aren't going to start them if they aren't starting, while my 4000A pack will even start many diesels

>>2685947
this is something people don't understand, the clamps' lack of surface contact severely limits how much current any conductor will flow under any conditions
even $500 4/0AWG pure copper cables won't flow more than about 500amps at summer temps, and that doesn't figure in the clamps... and those cables will weigh over well 100lbs
this is why Anderson SB connectors are great, but what are the chances someone is going to come along with 25' cables with the correct sized Anderson plugs to match mine? basically none, and the biggest are only rated for like 375A continuous
the next step up is J1283 heavy equipment jumpstart terminals... chance that you'll find anyone with those is pretty much zero unless you only drive around construction sites
all that stuff is very expensive even if you use CCA cables, meanwhile for under $200 I can carry around a spare AGM starting battery that makes over 1000 CA

>> No.2690724

>>2685457
Emergency and convenience are not the same thing.

I use LED headlamps because handheld lights waste a hand. I always have at least one around for task lighting and lost track of how many I own but there can never be too many.

All my trucks get quality jumper cables at least ten feet long (which sometimes double as welder extension cables because stick electrodes do not care). They get a basic metric tool kit which I've used for many things besides my vehicles.

Long trips get my Clore JNC 660 jump pack and more gear. Pack runs useful things besides jumping.

All my trucks have work gloves because I use them as trucks. Cars suck because they're pathetic anti-functional homosexual toys but when I still had one it got the same. I usually carry a fire extinguisher behind the seat but haven't needed it. Spare tire of course which I've used, + style lug wrench in every truck and at least two heavy duty manual jacks plus two minimum wooden chocks in the bed for chocking or cribbing or stabilizing loads.

OPs wife like OP is probably beyond reason as I suspect they're both autspergic. I don't nag the mentally ill.

t.ancient mechanic. My beaters are reliable but if I were rich I'd still roll equipped, there being zero reason not to.

>> No.2690733

>>2685457
I just checked:
- Hi vis vest
- Thing to scrape ice off windows
- Life hammer
- Apparently this tyre repair foam (?) kit I don’t know really it came with the car

But roadside service insurance is €5/month and they’re 30 minutes away max, 24/7. Used to carry a spare headlight bulb (they don’t fine you if you can field repair it) in previous car.

>>2690720
> a rescue knife and whatever knife I'm wearing
When were you last rescued by a knife just wondering

>> No.2690746

>>2685457
>Am I being unreasonable?
Unless your car is a junker, or you spend a lot of time offroading, then 90% of what your emergency items will never be used and are wasting space.

Useful:
>10' Jumper Cables
>leather work gloves
>big roll of duct tape
>First Aid kit with wound dressings and basic meds
>Beach towel

Waste of space:
>5' Jumper Cables
>50pc ratchet/wrench/screwdriver/pliers set
>6'x6' tarp
>box of nitrile gloves
>50' of 3/4" nylon rope
>folding shovel
>electric scissor jack
>four big 3" ratchet straps
>Iodine tablets
>set of basic junk clothes for each person in family

Now obviously you could cook up a scenario where these items could be useful. But you aren't going to come across that scenario.

>> No.2690875
File: 2.61 MB, 4656x2620, 20230808_100930.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685463
Tire plugs, i wish i had thought of them before my flat.
>driving home from work going to stop at a store
>make left turn
>thud thud thud
>tire is jumping a bit
>oh_shit.nft
>pull into parking lot and jump out pic related is in my tire
>the sky looks bad
>i pull it out knowing im screwed either way
>try for home and get a mile and a half away
>tire is flat and the rain started have to pull over
>get my tire pump and hook it up hoping i can nurse it the rest of the way
>it doesnt inflate at all
>call my wife while flipping through manual to find my tools and "the process"
>she doesn't answer
>its tire time
>lightning cracks as i work furiously
>it doesnt matter because the tire is rusted stuck
>finally get wife head home to grab real tools and a plug kit
>tire fixed in 5 mins
Thanks for reading my blog.

>> No.2691263

>>2685463
>Ditch the cables and get jumper bricks.

Reasons do not exist not to have both. Cables work if a jump pack is discharged without success. Plug kits are good but I always have a spare tire.

When driving I either wear or bring suitable clothing for safely walking several miles in any weather or staying put if needed. Water is handy too.

>> No.2691265

>>2691263
Get a better jumper brick. They can boost a car at least a dozen times easily.

And yeah, hopefully you still have a spare for a blow out, but plugs are faster than using the gay scissor jack if it’s just a nail, especially if you have a spare that drops from under the car.

>> No.2693441

>>2685457
>No longarm
Pedestrian, at best

>> No.2693446

>>2685457
>thing she uses once a month
how often do you use the items in your emergency kit?

Are you so incapable of creating a compromise in everyday situations that you have to ask likeminded individuals on an anonymous mongolian basket weaving forum to confirm your biases?

Why don't you slim down your emergency kit and you two buy another children's wagon that is smaller and more compact you can use just for the car?

>> No.2694659

>>2691265
I have an excellent Clore JNC 660 jumper pack bought after using one at the used car lot I wrenched for.

Cables are wise backup because ever being one deep is degenerate. Also I boost trucks and engines like Harleys which draw heavier amps than most smol cars.

>> No.2694683 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 168x300, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685457
>box of nitrile gloves
>leather work gloves
>big roll of duct tape

>> No.2694685
File: 7 KB, 168x300, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685457
>box of nitrile gloves
>big roll of duct tape

>> No.2694693

>basic ratchet and tool set
>Jumpers cables
>jack and tire change kit
>cig plugin inflator (shit works fine just takes a while)
>Woobie
>roll of toilet paper
>first aid kit
>flashlight
>a couple chem lights
>various knives
>extra oil and coolant

>> No.2694766

amphetamines for sure. god damn i can't tell you how many times i've gone out and NOT had my amphetamines, and had to go all the way back home to pick them up.
i just keep emergency speed in the car.

>> No.2694773

I also have a thick winter jacket in a vacuum bag.
I was once stranded on the side of the road for 3h in january at 2am.

It was fucking cold and waiting in the car on a highway is dangerous. There was very little room to move further away from the road.

>> No.2696341

>>2686083
Hopefully you have Chili-Mac MREs, right?

>> No.2696343

>>2685903
stop projecting your incompetence on everyone else
>be me
>driving clapped out Infiniti to get gas
>pulling out of gas station, hear a pop and a sploosh
>turns out my radiator fan was vibrating the radiator so much a hose popped loose
>use my handy-dandy pliers and screwdriver to get the hose clamp back on the radiator
>put on me glove, fill it back up with the water I keep under the seat (I live innadesert)
>good enough to get home

>> No.2696344

>>2689418
I fucking kneel

>> No.2696360

>>2694773
Based and the bag should include everything you would need to walk safely in a blizzard.

>> No.2696363
File: 7 KB, 225x225, 1685461370788976.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw carry spare break light, socket for break light and jumper cables
>only used the cables to boost coworkers car once
>also do field service so im regularly in the middle of nowhere 20-30 km from a gas station
Living on the edge

>> No.2696379

>>2685457

12 gauge

>> No.2696393

>>2687951
good job anon
>>2687973

Gotta question for you all. I know how to change a tire, but I often find that I have trouble taking off lug nuts with a tire iron. I have to use all my body weight to force the lug nut loose.

Any of you have this issue?

>> No.2696396

>>2696393
Anti-seize on studs, or fresh studs ans/or nuts, or go buy a $15 24” breaker bar from Harbor Freight and toss the right size socket on there and leave it in your car.

Or drive around with a 1500ft-lb breakaway rated cordless impact wrench like I do.

The 24” breaker bar should give you at least twice the leverage of the tire iron.

>> No.2696406

>>2696396
thanks anon

>> No.2696440

>>2685903
i packed up a bunch of tools for a 1100 mile trip and on the last 5 miles, my dashboard started smoking. i pulled off the exit to a parking lot and took apart my dash and fixed some bad wiring. i fixed it so fucking fast, i just wanted to go sleep in my bed so bad

I replaced my wheel bearings during a month long camping trip once. had to drive into the city and hit pick n pull on a 103F day, was terrible

>> No.2698235

>>2696406
Stock lug wrenches (tire irons remove tires from wheels, not wheels from cars) suck so I keep a Ken-Tool four way lug wrench in each vehicle. They're strong (no hinge like a breaker bar) and ideal to step on to break nuts loose.

>> No.2698283

>>2685457
Kill her

>> No.2698309

>>2690591
> The size of the conductor doesn't limit current in any way.
So could you drain a swimming pool with a garden hose as fast as you can with a 5’ pipe?

>> No.2698324

>>2690720
>a rescue knife and whatever knife I'm wearing
>I don't currently even carry a spare as they take up way too much room
Nigger do you seriously plan on bushcrafting your way out of a flat tire?

>> No.2698327

>>2698324
>never watched the Flintstones
ngmi

>> No.2698328

>>2685457
Pathfinder map book for local area.

>> No.2698612
File: 22 KB, 987x551, Hewlett Packard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

gun

>> No.2698633

>>2685903
>Be me 5 miles from work, downtown in a medium city
>Kinda shitty part of town but not complete ghetto
>Brake caliper bolt decided it wanted to come out
>Heard it get thrown loose and instinctively hit brakes to slow down
>Caliper pivots on remaining bolt and punctures the rim
>Pull it over and walk 1/2 mile to vatozone for caliper bolt
>Tool kit I keep with me has 1/2" socket stuff and breaker bar so I'm able to put it back together and throw the (full sized) spare tire on.
>Make it to work an hour and a half late
Bonus:
>Had a wetback think I was a male prostitute and try to solicit me while I was walking to the store, despite him knowing absolutely zero English

Survey says you're just a limp wristed faggot.