[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.50 MB, 4032x3024, 1691730614234481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2669595 No.2669595 [Reply] [Original]

zoomer poorfag here
redpill me on buying plot of land and living in a cabin
in theory if I could get electricity one way or another, I could even wageslave remotely (webshitter)
is self sufficiency without agricultural machines possible?

>> No.2669599

>>2669595
>is self sufficiency without agricultural machines possible?
Humans did it for thousands of years.

>> No.2669601

>someone who asks for a to z spoonfeeding wants to be 100% self-sufficient
hahahahahaha

>> No.2669602

>>2669595
Why not just buy a regular house? Easier than building your own. You can work remotely and be self-sufficient that way.

>> No.2669611

>>2669599
but in groups
my bad, I should've specified I'm autistic, in case someone thinks otherwise
>>2669601
>100%
never wrote that
and I get it anon, you also didn't have an active father
no need to feel shame, there are only friends here :^)
>>2669602
money
would need to save up much more, meaning more time to degrade my mind with toxic people
renting anything is financial seppuku and mortgage would be literal slavery for 20 years
not to mention mortgage in my country is on variable interest and economy is shit
and I will be honest, I don't plan to live to my 50s

>> No.2669620

>>2669611
>the one writing this also calls me fatherless
Fucking joke of a person

>> No.2669625

you'll fail but it'll be educational, don't waste too much money or lose a good job over it

>> No.2669651

>>2669625
This

>> No.2669668

>>2669611
>money
>would need to save up much more, meaning more time to degrade my mind with toxic people
>renting anything is financial seppuku and mortgage would be literal slavery for 20 years
>not to mention mortgage in my country is on variable interest and economy is shit
>and I will be honest, I don't plan to live to my 50s
So you have enough money to buy land and build a structure outright plus add utilities BUT you don't have enough cash for a downpayment?
Somehow your math doesn't really add up
I understand that having a mortgage sucks, especially these days, but you will always need to pay something for housing

>> No.2669675

>>2669595
entirely doable. you just need to research the property locations enough to find out what type of dwellings/structures/vehicles your allowed to live in on your property. if you want to avoid trouble with local officials
some places you can get an acre for of land for $5k. you could put a cheap mobile home or RV on it to live in
if your thinking to live in a shed with no running water, no septic plumbing, no electricity, then it could get tricky and that would be rough. but def still doable if your determined and do enough research

>> No.2669678

>>2669668
BTW, this reminds me of another case where someone did an end-around on zoning laws in hawaii.

https://youtu.be/wxGr9uloL9k

This was legit yonks ago and I'm not sure if the county finally cracked down on his plan but just wanted to mention it to bring up zoning and planning departments as a consideration

>> No.2669684

>>2669595
it's quite an undertaking, and would require you to invest a lot of time and money
if it doesn't work out, the opportunity cost will also be significant
ask yourself what you want out of this, and consider whether there are better ways of getting that within the system, are you even sure what you want from this?
one problem I can see with remote working would be internet, I suppose you can get satellite to work around that but it depends on your employment whether that will be enough
the closest thing to this on scale is third world subsistence farmers, they can get by on not much land with not much equipment, but note this will mean lowering your quality of life to that of a third world subsistence farmer

>> No.2669695

>>2669595
How much experience in residential construction (blueprints, building, permitting, zoning) do you have? I've done a few small projects and it can get complicated very quickly and be very frustrating. I bought a place awhile ago and it took over a year just to get my plans approved

>> No.2669715

>>2669595
>poorfag
>buy land
?

>> No.2669731

>>2669595
>It's this thread again

>> No.2669732

>>2669595
Once you get a little older, you'll realize it's not that hard to get a house.
Just get a job and don't be retarded and everything will work out.

>> No.2669736

>>2669732
you must live in the midwest, the south or some part of the country that hasnt sunk into the shitshow of property speculation bubble. anywhere diserable is completely priced out for the average person

>>2669595
here in canada and most parts of the the western US the vast majority of vacant properties you would want to build a offgrid cabin on are zoned for recreation or part time dwelling and have all sorts of restrictions on what you can do with it. its really not feasible unless you have money to piss away to larp like the people on offgrid youtube

if you are broke and just want to escape society in the middle of nature for a bit, maybe hop on a plane to one of the many 3rd world countries in the tropics and rent a shack for next to nothing and buy starlink for your internet.

the reality is that the age of fucking off to the fringe of civilization and escaping the madness is kinda over, they shut down most avenues because white people started realizing somewhere around the 60-70s that modern society was a fucking scam that was killing the planet

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-the-land_movement

>> No.2669738

>>2669736
Primitivism is retarded, and so is this thread.

>> No.2669933

>>2669595
>ender
Let me guess. This took a year to proont.

>> No.2670172

>>2669595
Starvation is more work than prosperity. Fix your life. If you are the problem, stop being defective you.

>> No.2670230

OP has abandoned the thread, folks

>> No.2670241

>>2669611
>degrade my mind with toxic people
please shut the fuck up and never talk again

>> No.2670243

>>2669736
>you must live in the midwest, the south or some part of the country that hasnt sunk into the shitshow of property speculation bubble.
You mean pretty much everywhere outside of San Fran and Seattle?
Yeah, most people do live there.

>> No.2670412

>>2669736
if housing is impossible to afford then how the flying fuck are people affording to live in them?
people who say what you just said literally don't apply a single second of critical thinking and just parrot whatever bullshit they read on the internet

>> No.2670563

Off the grid means joining or forming a commune. You're not a 19th century slave owner retarded zoomer.
Or you know just rent.

>> No.2671065

>>2670412
they just barely scrape by with two salaries (OP is single) and/or make use of the moratorium and don't fucking pay their rent

but another issue is that OP wants to buy, and cost of mortgage has significantly outpaced the cost of renting due to the interest rates

>> No.2671149
File: 18 KB, 367x384, 1684805479760793.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2671177

Your best bet, and something I've fantasized about, is buying an RV or a camping van first.

Take that sucker on a trip and see how well you mesh with living minimally. Even a low paying remote job can sustain that lifestyle easily.

If it works for you, then you can move on to finding a plot of land. Look for a place that has a water table and is well friendly or a place with decent rainfall to collect. This will also take some research into the local laws surrounding that.

Another legal hurdle may be the fact that some counties do not permit you to live out of temporary housing, even if it is your property. It's stupid, but something to watch out for.
If you're able to live out of your van/RV while you work on a house, that'd be your best bet. Then you're not rushing to make shelter and can really take your time with shaping your land the way you want as well as continuing to wagie it up for materials and sustenance. There are many online communities and resources for homesteading, so ensure you take the time to learn what you're getting into before you make the commitment.

There are plenty of cheap options for putting up additional "temporary" structures and living areas if you're resourceful enough.

Most importantly, create a sustainable plan for progress and don't hyperfixate on getting something like an indoor solar herb garden when you don't have the necessities taken care of yet. Putting all your eggs in a basket that you think will help you might actually be putting long-term stability and sustainability at risk.

Know local ordinances for animals and what crops grow best (as well as when/how to grow them) for your area, but understand that both can be expensive, don't pay off right away, and you won't get the yield you're hoping for when you first start out.

>> No.2671200

>>2669595
Anon I moved innawoods myself.
You sound very single and lazy, so this kind of move would probably keep you single for a very long time due to extra effort socializing takes after the move.
And if you stay single and desperate for too long, it's only a matter of time before you start mailing out plumbing supplies.
>the con of waiting until you bag a woman before moving is they like more comfort than you do
Much easier to power a cuck shed from solar than a family home.

>> No.2671275

>>2669595
everything is more expensive than doing it yourself. economy of scale is why you can have a box of cereal for 3.99 instead of having to work in a field for 4 months to get to eat one bag of boiled wheat in the fall/winter

>> No.2671461

>>2669595
OP passed out long ago after drinking his first beer.