[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 11 KB, 490x301, dronex-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
266789 No.266789 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/

I'm pretty new to the whole diy thing (been lurking here for a while though) and i want to start my first project, i'm interested in electronic but i don't know shit about it so i need something simple to start, i thought about a radio maybe, any other idea ?

Also my ultimate goal is to build a motherfucking autonom solar powered drone that would fly over my building, i also thought to add cameras n shit so i could see what it sees and maybe control it with a computer if i want to retrieve it for some reason
I was thinking about using a raspberry PI so i could control it using wifi via an large antenna, any thought on this project ?

>> No.266797

>>266789
you could forget the whole solarpowerthing. if you are new to electronics you could start with an quadcopter, they are pretty plane forward and a great firstproject! also look at some videos from "make: magazine" on youtube. if you don't know the basics like ohms-law, how a transistor works or nothing about programming you should buy some kits and look up alot of videos on youtube!

>> No.266801

>>266797

Thx for answering, but why solarpowering the thing isn't viable ?

Also the quadcopter looks awesome, and i will check the make : magazine, seems interesting

>> No.266812

>>266801
solarcells isn't effective enough, you could use them as a backup but you would also need a battery. and use a regular rc controller instead of rasberry pi, you could use the rasberry pi or an arduino to do something as taking pics every 10th sec or so but don't think it is so smart to start with making it stear the whole thing.

>> No.266818

If you just want it to hover and take long term shots a helium balloon would be a lot easier/cheaper/quicker

>> No.266822

>>266818
you will need a pretty big helium baloon + if it is for use more than 1 time, a baloon will be expencive and not as fun as building your own quadcopter.

>> No.266821

>>266812

k i guess i'll start here then see what i can do with more knwoledge, but the main objective still is to have a livestream
Also the adruino is some serious awesome shit

>> No.266825

>>266822
whhhaaaat? Weather balloons are designed to travel up to 100k ft in elevation. Im sure they will "hover" tethered to your back porch rail for weeks w/o assistance, and they cost btw 20-80$...compared to the 300$ quadcopter.

>> No.266829

the helium baloon thing is interesting too but i guess it would need to be attached somewhere, but maybe i'll try this first to test a wireless system so i don't crash it with a RC

>> No.266834

>>266825
a diy can easely cost under 200usd. and you also need helium or nitrogen. if you attatch a camera to a baloon it will spin. a quadcopter will you be able to stear and controll much easier. at the moment i will start with my quad, i also spent the past year studying spacetechnology and we used wetherbaloons and they were taken by the wind very fast and we had 0 control!