[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 513 KB, 435x645, Streets_of_KWAB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2651247 No.2651247 [Reply] [Original]

I spent almost an entire day awake continuously micromanaging a pool sump pump and a shopvac to evacuate several thousand gallons if water from my basement as experiencing record rain numbers.
The flow of water in was fast enough to cause flooding if unattended, but slow enough where continuous running of pool sump pump would burn out the motor due to low spot only being roughly 1/2 deep before spreading over a greater area. I partially got around this by elevating the shop vac over a 30 gallon container and draining it several times, then running the pump, repeat 4-6 times per hour. I devised a solution by installing the pump in a 5 gallon bucket and putting a 5 gallon lid shop vac motor on top in hopes of continuously running both, but it was only partially effective and reverted to the other method to avoid killing the shop vac lid since it would work for smaller volumes well,but overheat for the sheer amount of work it had to do in that instance.

Is there any fish tank or fountain sized pumps between 60-200 gallon per hour flow rate, preferably variable speed that can handle not being submerged as well as sucking air most if the time?
If I had a small fountain pump with a small diameter hose each end that could have handled that abuse, I could've mitigated the micromanaging to maybe 2-4 time's an hour or even less with a large enough storage tank instead of literally ever few minutes.

>> No.2651251

>>2651247
If you had a normal sump pump in a sump hole you could have done absolutely zero micromanaging like everybody else. I don't it, you've even typed out the words "sump pump" that's literally your answer, what more are you wanted? Do you WANT to have some micromanagement as part of the system? You could manually actuate the float every once in a while if you want to feel like you're doing something I suppose.

>> No.2651268

>>2651251
No one has sump pumps because they were never historically necessary in the area, I am not paying to install a sump for a once in rain a decade/25 year rain event
where there is two 8 inch storms in less than 24 hours that already occurred and I mitigated.
The $100 cost for a pump that could handle the use case I describe with the potential of having to walk downstairs twice an hour and being able to pay bills this month outweighs the marginal utility and thousands of dollars to have a system that requires no intervention.
Should people not have fire extinguishers because they technically install fire suppression in a residential home?

>> No.2651279

>>2651268
>thousands of dollars
More like $100 and a weekend to dig out the sump hole you fucking lazy nigger.
And if it's a once-in-25-years event why are you even worrying about it.
>Should people not have fire extinguishers because they technically install fire suppression in a residential home?
I am saying "yes, they should" and you are saying "I'm a poor cheap lazy nigger, so just link me a bucket I can fill up with water once or twice during the fire and use that instead".

>> No.2651284

>>2651279
it sounds like
you have a dick
up your ass

>> No.2651292

>>2651284
How about this? Split your output off of your pool sump, stick a ball valve on one end and adjust it to recirculate so the pool sump never runs out of water. You can check it every half hour to readjust.

>> No.2651295

>>2651292
yeah sure, or he could just get a $10 float switch off amazon. but neither of those solutions explain why you're so angry.

>> No.2651301

>>2651268
Catastrophic rain events are only going to get more common over time. Your one in 25 years food will turn into a one in ten out even five years.

>> No.2651368

>>2651295
Hes kinda right though. Do something properly instead of a shitty bodge job. A float switch and a 1/3hp pump is more than enough for what OP needs, but at that point it just makes more sense to dig a proper sump pit.

>> No.2651391
File: 58 KB, 657x718, 1679758463560340.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2651295
nta but OP is a retard, gotta keep them in check.

>> No.2651405

>>2651368
The low spot is at the main water line which I don't want to fuck with and the intrusion point is below the electrical box, and in a partially finished basement,neither area ideal to sledging a hole for water to go into right next.
I don't plan on living here much longer, have much bigger things that deserve funds for. I don't imagine that rate will happen again but if I could spend as much as a spare shop vac to have something to set up if its starting to get wet and monitor less if I happen to need it is better than nothing,it is purely out of convince.
The float would not work since the area is dry and at most got 1/2" up before it started to spread, so it probably would never property float, let alone have travel to actuate.

>> No.2651415

>>2651405
>once in 25 year event
>I don't plan on living here much longer
You turbo nigger time thief. I hope it does happen again and you drown.

>> No.2651420

>>2651301
spread your pussy for us, Greta

>>2651405
The correct answer is digging a hole and installing a sump and pump. Continuous duty pumps that can handle running dry for hours at a time seem more expensive than just installing a sump. Consider something like Shurflo 2088-313-145

>> No.2651421

>>2651415
Insectoids from Massachusetts and especially the ones that ruin my state by showing up are not people, that will be $290,000 above what I paid 10 years ago, as is, no inspection, plus tip.

>> No.2651760
File: 1.13 MB, 1204x1284, 1628902963290.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2651247
yes there's fountain pumps that don't damage themselves without water. also
>NASH
>1992
>KWAB

>> No.2651800

>>2651247
Ignoring the obvious fact that the only real solution is a sump pump... Why the fuck are you letting all this water into your basement?