[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.35 MB, 750x1000, jksfdjkasg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2640468 No.2640468 [Reply] [Original]

>fall for the trades meme, enter an HVAC apprenticeship
>we're supposed to be doing work on this apartment
>boss sets up the ladder like pic related and tells me to get on the roof
>I tell him I'm not going to do that shit, what if I fall and break my neck
>he tells me if I'm not comfortable doing it then I'm not really a good fit for the job
>this other shithead nigger starts laughing at me
>I decide to quit

feeling pretty defeated rn...

>> No.2640473

>>2640468
I fucking hate going up and down ladders onto roofs like that, but you might need to get comfortable with the shit if you want to work in a trade like that.

With how gay OSHA is, I’m somewhat amazed they still let people use straight ladders like that. Or do they have some harness rule that nobody follows?

>> No.2640480

Fuck going on the roof, I'd be wary going up those stairs given the design. Never seen a setup like that, looks sketchy af but maybe it's a country thing

>> No.2640484

>>2640468
good on you

i dont risk my life for the shareholders shekels either

>> No.2640519

doesn't look like enough of an angle
ask him to go up first and tie the ladder to something

>> No.2640522

>>2640468
>feeling pretty defeated rn...
You did the right thing. There is no way that ladder was 4 to 1.

>> No.2640524

>>2640468
You do a disservice to real women. You fucking trans vagina

>> No.2640528

>>2640468
I did the same thing yesterday, was on a steep roof, all the safety systems were fuck, retards crossings lines. I just walked off.
(I'm a rock climber so I'm more aware of the actual risks with rope systems than the job site retards that thought I was smoking dope)

>> No.2640530

>>2640468
You are a fag though. If someone holds the ladder you are not going to fall. I have done way crazier things.

t. Solar panel installer.

>> No.2640532

>>2640468
>I decide to quit
Holy fuck you are an absolute retard. I bet your boss is laughing all the way home today, fuckwit.

>> No.2640542

>>2640473
>Or do they have some harness rule that nobody follows?
They do, yes. Although for flat roofs it is not required. You are allowed to climb up the roof with a ladder, but not allowed to carry materials on it. pretty much impossible to do actual work and also be compliant.

>>2640528
Dealt with rock climbers in the trades a couple times. Always fags about safety while no one ever actually falls because we arent climbing sheer cliff walls retard. We are on a roof with at most a 45 degree angle. And you always have easy grab points for hands and feet by shoving open roof tiles. You would expect climbers to have more balls, but my experience is that they are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to heights.

>> No.2640544

>>2640530
That's assuming the boss is going to pay a guy to stand around as a spotter. In reality they are all going on the roof.
I'm not a health and safety fag but fucking about with an unsafe ladder isn't worth it especially since your basically falling from a roof if something goes wrong.
Boss should have a longer ladder and if he doesn't then he doesn't have the tools for the job

>> No.2640571

>>2640468
Just tie a rope from the middle of the ladder to the other end of the railing if you're not comfortable. Solution seek instead of being a bitch

>> No.2640572

>>2640542
>You would expect climbers to have more balls, but my experience is that they are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to heights.
kek we did some work for a heli ski doctor, and he just climbs all over his house without a care in the world

>> No.2640579

>>2640468
You wigged out because you're green and probably threw a tantrum instead of asking for a way to make it more secure and being honest.
That ladder setup isn't great but it's not as bad as it can get.
Your boss sounds like a dirtbag who doesn't even
have a 24+ft ladder in HVAC. He is kinda right though, you probably should get into another trade. Flooring would be worth looking into

>> No.2640582

>>2640579
because climbing a 30 foot ladder is safer than a 12 foot one from a secure platform?

>> No.2640599

>>2640582
There's nothing secure about that setup, it's an accident waiting to happen.
With the longer ladder at least you've got the correct angle and footing with a chance for tie off before you risk falling 20 plus feet.
There is a time and place where a janky set up is the best you can do, this was either the boss being too lazy or cheap to use the correct ladder

>> No.2640601

>>2640468

"I don't think that setup is very safe, is there anything we could do to make it safer? If one of us falls and gets hurt, that's going to vastly slow down productivity and profits on this job."

This is how you should've approached the situation.

Never do anything that you feel may result in severe injury because then you will be unable to work.

You're also going to have to deal with lower IQ tradesmen laughing at you for having regard for safety.

I frequently get bullied for wearing a respirator at work and we often work inside a giant unit called a "Dust Collector" if that tells you anything about the mindset of some of these people

>> No.2640602

>>2640542
In regards to climbers, maybe they are more aware of the life changing shit that happens when things go wrong. clambering around on an unsafe roof for $25 an hour is retared, having shit safety is even more retarded. Most of the tradies that don't climb aren't even aware of the hazards they create. If i'm doing "rope work" they always let me build the system because they know it will be 100% safer than what they slap together

>> No.2640607

>>2640468
What tradesmen aren't likely to tell you is that they understand fully that they are human garbage bags who are essentially worthless trash. If one of them gets injured on the job and suffers with debilitating pain for the rest of their life then that's just part of the job. Being a worthless shitpile who can be chewed up and spat out by a greedy criminal boss is who they are.

If your boss pressures you to do dangerous shit that you're not comfortable with then it's because they're a piece of shit who doesn't care if you get hurt. They're NOT going to be there to support your family after you can't work anymore. The $1167 a month from your disability check isn't going to be enough to take care of your family either.

If they're so retarded and kiked that they won't provide safe equipment to get their ridiculously profitable business done, then I guarantee they don't have the insurance and licenses etc that they should either. You're probably a faggot and a baby back bitch to boot, but its still just not worth getting crippled for life for $20 an hour.

The reality is that if you're hardworking, honest, presentable, organized, and intelligent then you can find a job that pays more and doesn't ask you to do stupid shit like this.

>> No.2640608

>>2640607
>Contractor work is "ridiculously profitable"

delusional

>> No.2640609

>>2640582
Depends, in this case yes it is safer because the pitch the ladder is at is not ideal, which you would realize if you've ever been on a roof faggot

>> No.2640610

>>2640601
>dust collector
Tell us more about what you do. I’m intrigued. Also you’re smart to use a respirator. I have seen Mexicans painting oil based paint with just a rag over their nose and mouth. Fucking retarded.

>> No.2640613

I read your post thinking I was going to call you a pussy but I wouldn’t have climbed that either. And I used to do ladder transfers 30 feet up when I painted in college. Now THAT was some scary shit.

>> No.2640614

>>2640608
it is if you aren't a retard, I got paid $500 to stain a fence in 5 hours, that's ridiculous money for the actual labor involved

>> No.2640662

>>2640468
>quit
That's a load off your boss. You could have just walked off and not 'quit' and he would have had to fire you and you could get unemployment and he would have had to show cause and a bunch of shit. He probably wouldn't even have fired you because it's such a pain to find help.

There's usually work for at least one ground bitch anyway.

The ladder isn't great but I bet he was willing to go up it. It should have had one more rung over the roof. You could have gone and got the 24' ladder and been safer and showed yourself as a go getter.

>> No.2640664

>>2640582
Nta, but a 30 foot would be easier to get sufficient slope on the ladder.

>> No.2640666

>>2640582
Yes because you could get.the correct slope and two rungs over the target surface.

>> No.2640672

>>2640468
Hopefully you find an apprenticeship with a different company that doesn't expect you to do dumb shit.

>> No.2640680

>>2640468
Christ you fucking zoomers are all a bunch of frightened pussies. HVAC isn't for you if you're afraid of ladders and heights. Even residential techs have to get on roofs sometimes.
You absolutely shit the bed by quitting. If it really was that unsafe, you pull your phone out and take a picture. Then you tell the boss you don't feel safe climbing that and he needs to provide a more secure way up or you're not doing it. Then you let him fire you, report his bullshit to OSHA, and sue him.

>>2640607
Companies are required by law to provide safety equipment to their employees but that shit's expensive so they don't. Then when some cro-magnon gets injured they'll put the shit in his truck and blame him for not using it.
They also do shitmlike order you up a ladder they know isn't safe, and if you get hurt they'll swear they never told you to do that.

Always cover your own ass. The company can't force you to do anything unsafe, and they can't fire you for reusing to do something unsafe. Always take pictures and keep proof in case you have to sue.

>> No.2640686

>>2640607
I will hire from an endless supply of Mexican sub humans. If one or 50 fall and go splat I will hire another and pay them less than the last. I will keep voting jewish-democrat or jewish-republican until entitled white pigniggers are gone.

>> No.2640688

>>2640608
you'll have to ask one of the HVAC companies that charges $15K to swap out a standard split system. You can find them in any city

>>2640686
>I will keep voting jewish-democrat or jewish-republican
You're repeating yourself lol

>> No.2640693

>>2640468

That setup is not safe at all, the ladder needs to be at least another foot higher to safely dismount it on top of the roof. The angle is also too steep.

People calling OP a pussy are the type of people that would work on a hot circuit on an aluminum ladder. You guys don't value your life. Ladders are THE MOST dangerous piece of equipment on any jobsite, they account for more injuries/deaths than any other tool.

But honesly, if I was asked to use that ladder, would I? Probably, us field technicians like a little "thrill" here or there. Try working on a fully extended scissor lift in unsafe windy conditions and get back to me about how "brave" you are.

>> No.2640699

>>2640468
I wouldn't get up on that ladder and i wouldn't want to work for someone who would tell me to do it. Unfortunately in the USA there are 10 more beaners who would be willing to take your job and do sketchy shit like that all day so workplace safety is going to shit

>> No.2640730

>>2640542
>no one ever actually falls
Is this real life?

>> No.2640732

>>2640601
>>2640579
>>2640662

So you dipshits think it’s on the apprentice to figure out how to do things properly? He told the boss he didn’t think it was safe and was blown off. What more is he supposed to do? Jesus Christ, you people.

>>2640680
>just sue
How are the trades in fantasy land. Are you the head fairy?

>> No.2640739

>>2640468
If anyone wonders why falls are the number one cause of injuries and death in the trades, look no further than this thread packed full of retards.

>> No.2640740

>>2640693
lol little pussie

>> No.2640748

>>2640693
>But honesly, if I was asked to use that ladder, would I? Probably
kek
>pff youre a pussy let me show you how a real man does it
>starts climbing
>ladder wobbles
>"see, that's normal, nothing to worry about"
>keeps going
>gust of wind blows, ladder slips and falls backwards
>AAAAAARGHGHHH!
>cracks head on concrete below
>dies
>becomes featured on liveleak

>> No.2640750

>>2640601
>If one of us falls and gets hurt, that's going to vastly slow down productivity and profits on this job
Cuck

>> No.2640752

>>2640542
I have a family member who fell. After being bedridden for half a year he got out of the trades and into engineering. He makes double of what he made then now. Maybe falling isn't so bad.

>> No.2640753

>>2640739
Have another read through, most anons think the boss is a faggot much like yourself

>> No.2640810

>>2640748
I miss liveleak.

>> No.2640867

I tether my ladders (motorcycle tiedown straps are light, strong and work great) then press on.

>> No.2640879

5 to 1 rule anon. five feet up one foot back (also why are they not using warner 20 foot to 40 foots? I've safely cleared way bigger houses, seems to me those guys were faggot larpers.)

Too far forward your weight will pull the ladder off the wall and too far back and the ladder will collapse.

>> No.2640880

>>2640732
Even if you refuse to do the work sit there and make him fire you because that's a totally different thing

>> No.2640881

>>2640879
Actually I'm not even in the trades anymore and I have a 20 foot sitting in my garage that could clear that house anon.

That's a massive fucking red flag those were DIY half ass everything boomers larping as hvac techs.

>> No.2640884

>>2640468
You should have stood your ground and made them fire you
You could have sued them into the ground for wrongful termination
Now, you can only get them fined by osha

>> No.2640885

>>2640880
Yeah you can get unemployment from him because he violated osha regulations.

>> No.2640889

>>2640610
I painted epoxies without a respirator, fumes fucked with my brain. No idea if it gave me more brain damage or cancer.

It was simply too hot to wear one for a long period of time.

>> No.2640890

>>2640480
I couldnt imagine being such a pussy that certain stairs would make me reluctant to climb ngmi

>> No.2640913

>>2640680
If you aren't afraid of falling you're just a confident retard.

>> No.2640920
File: 140 KB, 592x514, Screenshot_2023-06-30_12-06-38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640913
>If you aren't afraid of falling you're just a confident retard.

He referred to fear of heights which in extreme cases I have seen where a guy could not climb any ladder more than about 10 feet off the ground. Fear of unsafe setups is simply intelligence. As a painter, I have to deal with heights and awkward roof placements, and can always come up with a rigging that I consider safe, and have never slipped or fallen from high up or on a roof. The occasional slap-dash placement of a small step ladder has actually been the only time I've slipped. On the other hand, I've been on the job site several times where someone did not know that damp treated lumber (like on a deck) is extremely slippery if you place rubber ladder feet aligned with the grain, and half way up the ladder they came crashing down.

On the other hand, cedar shake roofs that have that green tint (algae?) and morning dew are as slippery as any substance you will encounter. Even with the tiniest pitch you will be on your ass, which is why they sell pic related. Or just refuse to go up until it is bone dry.

>> No.2640927

>>2640889
Just because it's hot doesn't mean you cannot take breaks or run another air hose under your clothing. Millions of troops have worked well over twelve hour shifts in MOPP 4 and of course worn NBC gear in combat for longer.

You decided discomfort was worth brain damage rather than solving the problem.

>> No.2640952

>>2640607
As a tradie, I was usually the one who insisted on doing things without safety slowing me down. Plus I think tripping over a rope while carrying shit on the roof is more likely to get me killed anyway. But skill, balance, and common sense are hard to come by these days.

>> No.2640956

>>2640468
I worked in AC. First of all that is a faggot ass ladder. You need a real extension ladder securely set from the ground for a roof like that. Second of all even if you do have a proper ladder and an ideal setup it can still feel extremely sketchy especially if you have to pull heavy shit up there with you. Your boss is gay but he's kinda right.

>> No.2640989

>>2640956
-pull heavy shit up with you.
You carry a rope up and then pull it up when you're on top wtf you doing

>> No.2641030
File: 3.00 MB, 460x816, Chinese_OSHA_.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640693
>Ladders are THE MOST dangerous piece of equipment on any jobsite
I raise you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lc70Mjp-U
>tilting isn't recoverable
>can't see what you are working on
>continuously working in tight places where its possible to destroy the entire support structure of what is going to kill you via drowning
>lifting cage isn't used because the top shelf are elevated too close to the roof, meaning whatever is lifted needs to be manually lifted another 30-40cm to get clearance

But this is in the field where the same tradies also refuse to:
-Buy a scissor lift or forklift with a lifting cage to completely remove the problem of material transfer and roof access
-Correct training on fall harness
-Knowing that there exists counterweight pulling frames too get shit to the roof
-Wear respirator to avoid bronchitis

>> No.2641032

>>2641030
lmao

>> No.2641037

>>2640952
>I was usually the one who insisted on doing things without safety slowing me down
>common sense are hard to come by

After you get hurt and can't work anymore, I hope you'll have the decency to opt out of becoming a burden on society by accepting a disability check and intead just killing yourself

>> No.2641117
File: 1.69 MB, 4000x3000, 20230630_125415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would you climb it, diy?

>> No.2641166

>>2641030

I acutally got lifted onto a roof today with a forklift cage, was pretty chill.

>> No.2641173

>>2640752
I bought a house from an old man who was a Sheetrock guy his entire life. At the end of his career he fell off of stilts and destroyed his knees. All he could do in his twilight years was sit and watch tv all day. His only companion was a pit bull mix who sat next to him all day. She was the sweetest dog but she was obese because he fed her hamburgers and never walked her. Made me really sad for him - and the dog.

>> No.2641174

>>2641117
I'd have to inspect that roof but given that height and pitch likely yes, slowly. Me being me I figured out you can place a fat sheet of emery cloth under ladder feet for drastically better traction. I work alone and am a safety fanatic. It's actually easy to manage. A more common option would be using one of those ladder braced but as a stop above the roofline. There are many ways to do most things safely.

>> No.2641179
File: 647 KB, 3000x3208, cropped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2641174

Yea it was a ladder ontop of a 1 story building that bring you to the 2nd story, it was kinda sketch because the only safe place I could find to position it was on the tip top of the roof so the feet would rest.

>> No.2641192

>>2641037
Been in 10 years and have never been seriously hurt. Close calls have been due to others' incompetence.
Go back to your office, pencil pusher

>> No.2641202

>>2640608
I make around $6000 a week. Electrician, mostly installing induction furnaces, electric car chargers, solar panels, new breaker panels etc.

I do however work well over 100 hour weeks.

>> No.2641203
File: 196 KB, 1280x720, 1657632756965.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640468
Disregard the neets who live in their parent's house for a living calling you a pussy. You didn't have to tell him you quit but you did the right thing for them blowing you off about safety concerns. I work with delivering construction materials to building sites including houses that have maintenance work being done to them. That picture is literally an OSHA violation waiting to bend them over and fuck them into oblivion. Not only is it the wrong type of ladder there's also zero securement and chances are he had no intentions of using a spotter to hold said shifty ladder. The other anons are right to tell you he's a grifter who doesn't give a damn about your well being. Any job much less apprenticeship that doesn't value the safety of their workers is literally Mexican tier and should be reported ASAP given that they aren't some fly by night operation run by tacos. But seriously though, do your home work when signing up for some "apprenticeship" that's just there to milk you for free labor and make sure you actually join a reputable business because your well being and in some cases your life can be on the line.

>> No.2641205

>>2640952
>Plus I think tripping over a rope while carrying shit on the roof is more likely to get me killed anyway.
This 100%. Ropes get entangled all the time. Also agree with the time question. Reason I dont go building a scaffold is that it will just cost me time. And time is money.

>>2641117
Sure, thats not even that high. Probably dont need the ladder even, just do a muscle up.

>> No.2641208

>get tradie job
>don't want to do tradie shit
>quit after some light ribbing
I'm mad you got me to bite this shit bait, fuck you op, choke on a fucking cornucopia of dicks.

>> No.2641316

>>2640927
I'm not in the military you sperg.

>> No.2641320

>>2641316
Also not bad points thb, but it started out as (fuck lemme take this off for a few seconds to wipe the sweat off the seals because its slipping and sliding around my face) I accept whatever damage it caused because you fuck around and find out, but I do kinda of regret it.

It's meh tho, that kind of shit is why I quit the trades. Boss made me buy my own fall harness (they had one they made me share with like three other people.)

>> No.2641343

>>2640468
holy fuck what a faggot. Just ask your boss to hold it for you while you go up. Its not so fucking hard.

>> No.2641507

>>2641179
I'm not even trying to purposely shit on you guys, but are you seriously debating whether going up 10ft is doable on a relatively flat roof? I was installing/nailing off 3rd story windows from a 36ft ladder with my crew when I was 19 and had never had a real job before

>> No.2641510
File: 64 KB, 640x640, 1625128846479.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640468
If gave up that easy then you probably weren't that invested in the job to start. Do some soulsearching and find something worthwhile you enjoy.

>> No.2641513

>>2640468
Call OSHA and ruin his shit for life

>> No.2641517

>>2640468
pussy

>> No.2641527

>>2640686
Gr8 b8, m8.

>> No.2641533

>>2641030
It is even better with the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwAS0j0jkg

>> No.2641609

ITT:
>YOU’RE A PUSSY FOR NOT RISKING YOUR LIFE FOR $12/HR
>You made the right choice don’t risk your life for retards
I wonder who is right

>> No.2641645

>>2641507

The ladder had probably been on that roof for 20+ years, the feet were completely rusted and barely had any grip. No one to spot either and no flat level ground. It was sketch and I've also been on ladders forever, height isn't that big of a deal, it's the surrounding factors.

>> No.2641665

>>2640885
>>2640880
>hey guys, you were there. Did I ask that tard to do anything unsafe? *stares intently*
>no
Your move.

>> No.2641670
File: 77 KB, 725x716, laska fejs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640602
>life changing shit

This.

>t. ex tradie who made one stupid mistake and now has fucked up legs for life

>> No.2641683

>>2640468
Its about being a man. Men are supposed to just risk their lives everyday just so that their kids can hate them and they can get divorced and have a broken back and an alcohol problem.

This is what it means to be a man. Now get on that roof and die like one.

>> No.2641685

>>2641533
lost at the dude failing the jump.

>> No.2641806

>>2641117
if someone holds it yes

>> No.2641831

>>2641670
At least you got neetbux

>> No.2641851

>>2640530
The OP example is where I'd use tiedown straps to the rail or column. A person will have very poor leverage but a cinched cargo strap pulling down and inwards is far stronger and takes minutes to set up.

>> No.2641871

>>2641851
The rail by the door right?

>> No.2641872
File: 236 KB, 750x1000, thatwaseasy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bring a rope

>> No.2641874

>>2641872
An apprentice wouldn't do that

>> No.2641895

>>2641872
There's a couple different products like Laddermate that do this by design and make it easy and quick and the osha guy might even be happy

>> No.2641929

>>2641871
Of course.

>> No.2641942

I did residential hvac for several years. Not once do I remember going onto a roof.

>> No.2641943

>>2640468
anon let me tell you this - you are inexperienced, that is all, and don't take this the wrong way.

I have done stupid shit and I'm quite shocked at how ignorant I was of the danger I was in. I have climbed onto the roof just like your picture with those Little Giant A-frames that have extendable legs, with a 10:1 ratio, with no tie off, and no person holding the ladder, during windy conditions.

There are some guys in my trade who are 40years older than me and do more stupid shit than myself.

But sometimes, the work that I think is stupidly dangerous just isn't planned right.

Like that ladder...

Does your company not have an extension ladder they can set up on the ground to get to the 2nd floor?

And if they don't... a short extension ladder with a string so you could tie that shit off on the railing or pillar, and not worry bout a thang?

Those pillocks that are your coworkers were probably just testing you, and if they didn't want to help and just laughed at you, go find another company. Those guys sound like absolute wads.

>> No.2641944

>>2641942
What state? In many places, it is the only place you will ever be.

>> No.2641948

>>2641944
>In many places, it is the only place you will ever be.

residential usually means single family homes; here in NC I've never seen HVAC on the roof of an ordinary house.

>> No.2641962

>>2640468
Okay

1. That's a condo or apartment type setup and those concrete steps are universally the cheapest option picked for those apartments.
2. That is such a retarded way to get onto that roof. Where is your ladder and is there no other way to ingress onto the roof?
3. This is a b8 post if I am not mistaken.

>> No.2642123

>>2641665
OP literally has a picture. It would be extremely difficult for him to lose his unemployment compensation hearing, if the boss challenges it.

>> No.2642161

>>2640468
Congrats you passed the retard test. Many people fail this step and end up hurt.

>> No.2642280

OSHA says that for a non-self-supporting ladder, the horizontal distance between top support and base needs to be at least 1/4th the vertical distance. This ladder set up looks OSHA compliant to me. OP, you didn’t lose your job—you quit.

>> No.2642340

>>2641948
>forgot I'm talking to a tradie
Okay North Carolina is not all of America

fucking shit you stupid bastard

>> No.2642357

>>2641683
I can list better ways to die a man but if you're American dying for a paycheck is certainly a fair way to go

>> No.2642363

>>2642340
Where in America do they put their outdoor units on the roof? Genuinely curious, I know in Texas they put their air handlers and water heaters in the attics but the outdoor units are still on the ground or mounted on a wall

>> No.2642366
File: 243 KB, 696x462, Screenshot_2023-07-03_14-09-54.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642363
>Where in America do they put their outdoor units on the roof?

Like clown boy said, "many places", and in those "places" the roof is the "only place you'll ever be".

Anyway, it exists, but until he comes up with a list of "many places", he's still full of shit. For startes, Glendale AZ is not one of those places where all hvac is on the roof, or pic rel makes no sense.

>> No.2642380

>>2640468
Why'd you quit? Make him fire you then fuck him legally and/or collect unemployment. I wouldn't climb that shit either. No job is worth a broken back.

>> No.2642392

>>2642366
I've been in a bunch of states and I've never seen a rooftop unit on a single family home except in the case of one custom concrete house that had a flat roof with a fire pit and RTU and another house which had an addition with a flat roof which used a package unit on the roof.

Where is this the standard practice in the USA? It's not in the northeast, the southeast, florida, texas, Appalachia, the west coast, or the midwest.... So unless it's like one state like New Mexico or something, then I doubt it.

>> No.2642415

>>2640468
you should you fucking fag lmao
you sound just like the fucking skittle people crying about your safe space. All the people agreeing with you have either not worked the trades and are just arm chair experts or want your dick in their ass

>> No.2642438

>>2640542
Weight lifters turn out to be about the same generally. They don't want to have any cardio and get finicky about the actual work.

>>2640571
OP sounds new and bosses hate newbs trying to think.

>> No.2642439

>>2641117
Yes, I know how to properly angle a ladder.

>> No.2642443

>>2642392
It not 100% but often enough in the Mojave desert there will be a huge swamp cooler on the roof for central swamp cooling.

>> No.2642619

>>2640732
>So you dipshits think it’s on the apprentice to figure out how to do things properly?
no, that's clearly on the boss but if he isn't going to bother what are you meant to do ? assume the risk because of his fucking laziness ? fuck that.
Op did right imo - fuck risking your life or health because of lazy money grubbing cunts.

>> No.2642642

>>2642366
It's pretty common here in AZ. I think it's mostly homes from the 70s/80s which are what some neighborhoods are. Post 90s homes stopped doing it, I think. Not an expert but I could go for a walk and show you a pic of some rooftop units.

>> No.2642663

>>2640607
based and completely accurate

>> No.2642667

>>2641645
You know you can just upend the feet so the edge digs into the roof

>> No.2642673

>>2642667
And then leave the business card for your roofer friend?

>> No.2642675

fuck that stupid shit.
it looks like the railing is too close to the ladder where you may bump into as you climb down, and the fee look to be at most a foot and a half from the edge of the stairs.
a quality HVAC company is going to have a real extension ladder that can reach from the ground to the roof (maybe even one with the hooks cause it doesn't look like theres a good tie-off point there), not one of those shitty a-frame to extension ladder trannyformers.

Your boss should've done his homework and walked the site before the crew got there. He should have known what he needed. Unfortunately, he's like most tradies and a sub 95 IQ go-getter who stupidly puts his life in undue risk for some fucking HVAC work.

>> No.2642689
File: 72 KB, 300x294, 1682223780936785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640468
It's your duty to refuse unsafe work. You should report them to OSHA. Stupid to quit too, you could have cashed in on a wrongful dismissal.

>> No.2642691
File: 91 KB, 760x1016, 1678941914069627.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640468
Join a union.

>> No.2642695

>>2642415
Are residential tradies all sub 80IQ?

>> No.2642703

>>2642673
Torch on isn't that fragile

>> No.2642707

>>2642691
Good advice, if you can get into one.

>> No.2642708

>>2642415
You sound a little insecure.

>> No.2642885

>>2640468
>I quit
Brutal mistake anon, you should have made him fire you. At the very least you would’ve been able to file for unemployment.

>> No.2642887

>>2641645
>no flat level ground
What are you saying here? No ground is perfectly level, it doesn’t look that bad to me just gotta move it around and find a spot, maybe throw something under one leg if need be
>no traction on the feet
As long as you’re at the right angle a ladder isn’t gonna slip unless you’re moving around a bunch on it, or the ground is very smooth and maybe even wet from rain.
That doesn’t look remotely bad unless the ladder was so rusted it was about to snap.

>> No.2642918

>>2642887

Yea it wasn't that bad, I was just being a baby. Have years of 10ft A frame ladder, scissor lift experience and like no extension ladder experience.

>> No.2643175

>>2640473
osha only applies if the company has more than 50 peopel

>> No.2643181

>>2643175
A company with few people may be exempt from some of the injury and incident reporting requirements and inspections that a larger company would be subject to, but they are still under many rules laid out by OSHA and in the OSH act.

They are still prohibited by federal law from firing an employee for refusing to engage in unsafe work-- which is mostly the subject of this thread. (unless they're in a state which supercedes OSHA with its own safety administration... but then every one of those states has the same rule at a state level)

>> No.2643197

>>2642918
>no extension ladder experience.
Oi mate yew goh ah loicense fuh dat laddeh

>> No.2643286

Here the law says building must have fixed ladders, and it is illegal to work on ladders over 70 cm. If something ladder-related happens, employer will be screwed.

>> No.2643319

In Australia if you contacted workplace safety and showed them that photo the entire fucking business would be shut down while a full investigation was conducted. If it was found that you were instructed to do something unsafe your boss is looking at hundred thousand dollar fines.

>> No.2643320

>>2640468
Going up is sketchy.
Coming down is a death trap.
There's a right way up that roof and this wasnt it.

>> No.2643366
File: 2.11 MB, 498x278, idiocracy-trial.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

trades are filled with low IQ people by nature as they filter out high IQ people. this is why you will never find an experienced tradesman approaching things with a high IQ mindset, because those people don't exist. literally the only people who will be able to point out retarded shit they're doing is fresh apprentices who have simply yet to hit this IQ filter. OP's situation is a textbook example of this filter in action. not trying to disparage anybody just stating facts. nothing you can do about it, try to use logic and reason with these people and you will just be in a situation like pic related.

>> No.2643385

>>2640468
You didn't lose your job, you quit because someone asked you to climb a ladder that's more stable than 90% of ladders at work, you retard.

>> No.2643387

>>2643385
this
its like saying you lost your phone after you threw it in the ocean

>> No.2643401

You fucked up quitting but sue him for wrongful termination anyway and just lie, assuming you didn't sign an "I quit" form which is almost as dumb as getting on that ladder.

>> No.2643406

>>2640468

OP, go join a union gig, or find an outfit with real contracts, not Apt complexes, homes and strip malls. You need to jump to an outfit bidding on contract gigs where project is 7, 8, and 9 figures. Where OSHA is taken seriously and the whistle blows at 5pm.

By all means stick with the trade, just know there is a wide swath of environments to work in.

As a noob, I might have climbed that ladder, and as others attest, doing dumb shit looking back.x doesn't mean it's a requirement.

>> No.2643453

>>2643406

Where do you bid on contract gigs?

>> No.2643550

>>2643366
That summarizes why I left being a paramedic after 5 years.
>Dispatch is retarded
>Fire is retarded
>Police are retarded
>Nurses are retarded
>EMTs are retarded
>The average patient is retarded
>Zero growth or career potential
Bye

>> No.2643556

>>2640468
U a pussy.

>> No.2644039

You did the right thing. I worked as a chineybsweep before and i all of us have fallen down. Never from the room itself but from the ladde tipping or sliding. I had one colligue who brok his back and on other who cracked his skull. In both cases they whouldnt have gone up because of stupid things. When i was an apprentice i used to go up anyway because i was young and wanted to prove myself but, and inwas lucky not to hurt myself as bad as others

>> No.2644326

Pretty common for new guys to get shitwork that’s generally dangerous inefficient. I remember I lowered a 90 on wire reel down three stories with just a rope while standing one one 2x4 where an elevator shaft was going to be. Nearly went down with it.

>> No.2644337

>>2644326
I was willing to risk my life for peanuts when I was 20

That time has long passed and I regret every dangerous thing I ever did for obese retards

>> No.2644353

>>2643550
>Zero growth or career potential
Welcome to real life job market, this is true in 90% of the jobs

>> No.2644358
File: 99 KB, 639x852, ladder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640468
I don't get it. God on you for refusing to do something you're not comfortable with, but that ladder looks fine and braced against two solid surfaces, and as an HVAC guy you should be able to go up and do work on the roof. Sure, it's high up, but that ladder set-up seems the same as if it were set up on a single story garage roof or something.

>> No.2644425

>>2640468
>wait for boss or nigger to climb ladder
>take picture
>send it to authorities
works in non-shitholes, my job was fined €15k that way a few months ago and all our safety routines was checked and found lacking so we had to pay even more to send a guy to a safety class to continue working.
we still climb ladders like that but the good thing is no one can pressure anyone to do it and the company will rather pay for a proper scaffolding or rent a lift than pay another fine.

>> No.2644464

I'm also a rock climber and work on a lumber yard. When our one forklift is in use and I need a couple pieces of timber that are too high up I just climb the racking and knock it down lol. I know it's dangerous, but I don't care. I love climbing and I generally know how to stay safe, always check my footing and make sure no one is around when I knock the timber down. My boss sees me and doesn't even care. Absolute shit hole but I love it lmao

>> No.2644764

>>2640468
shoulda climbed that ladder, dawg. don't listen to advice from anyone on the internet, not even me, but it's worthwhile to push yourself a little sometimes. It gets easier

>> No.2645253
File: 40 KB, 700x525, LostMyJobToday1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640468
>lost my job today

me too :(
they even revoke my forklift certification

>> No.2645280
File: 90 KB, 1125x681, tripfag.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640473
lose the trip asshole
you're not important

>> No.2645348

>>2645280
don't talk to bepis that way. he's our village idiot and tool collecting boomer uncle

>> No.2645355

I'm 50/50 here. Personally I don't like heights and when I was in my teens and twenties I'd have to climb fukn apple and orange tree's on a ladder, use stilts for plastering which were illegal at the time and climb across thin planks of wood while simultaneously holding plaster sheets when doing plaster carting jobs From basement level to 2nd story. So I get it, it sucks and its dangerous but if you're just starting out sometimes you gotta do sucky shit at least until you can find your new job. Better Idea would have been to start up the stairs see if it works, get him to hold the ladder or ask if he has a harness, most guy's that climb roof's where I'm from all have harnesses.

>> No.2645512
File: 319 KB, 1080x885, Screenshot_20230709_093258.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2645280
There really needs to be an "ignore user" option, most other chans have one.

>> No.2645584

>>2640662
>You could have just walked off and not 'quit' and he would have had to fire you and you could get unemployment and he would have had to show cause and a bunch of shit.
i dont know how you cheeky breekies do it, ive been fire a few times and each one unemployment denied for "just" cause. late one too many tines? someone steal shit without you noticing? boss caught you taking a shit when your shift started? its bullshit, man.

>> No.2645589

>>2645280
that has to be one of the dumbest tldr I ever saw. tripcodes where created by moot and are holy. if someone wants to use them, they can. if you don't like them fuck off.