[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 147 KB, 450x590, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
262969 No.262969 [Reply] [Original]

I've been thinking of starting an online store.
I've been making custom enclosures for amps, stereo equipment, boxes, etc. even joysticks.
My output isn't really great, as I take on each job as a individual work of art. I have been making them, for friends, friends of friends and receiving payment by mail.
It's obviously not the best way to do things, so I've been thinking about opening a small store page. I would obviously need a paypal account. I'm unsure on how to work out payments. I think if you sell something they take 3%.
However, some people just make arrangements and send the money directly. It involves a lot of negotiations and talking. I don't even really need a shopping cart system. Also, I'm stuck with only dealing with customers in the US, which I don't like.. as I'm not above sending something overseas if someone wants.
Anyone have any experience with selling items online, outside of the typical ebay store?

tl:dr; -
I'm making small electronics and enclosures by hand, want a simple way to sell them online through a webpage.
Looking for advice with anyone with any experience with selling items online, outside of the typical ebay store.

>> No.262979
File: 21 KB, 461x295, 1331412520198.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There are these newfangled things called invoices and cheques, you probably haven't heard of them yet but I swear they are the next big thing.

We've just started using them at work and it really saves a lot of time compared to our old system of waiting for the client to die and reclaiming the debt from his estate.

>> No.263066

Honestly? While paypal fees suck, it really does make things easier. Even if you didn't go international, many people prefer to pay with paypal due to buyer protections and such. Have you considered Etsy? While they also take their cut too, it's easier to get exposure rather then just having a website that no one will ever see. Long term, you could make a name for yourself and then make your own website later, when people might actually search for you.

>> No.263231

holy fuuuu why are there XILINX aaaaaaaand ALTERA chips on that boad OP? it's like gluing an AMD to ur intel cpu. There can be only 1.