[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 140 KB, 800x534, assortment-tools-tool-shed-workshop-bucharest-romania-november-63173687.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2623028 No.2623028 [Reply] [Original]

no shilling brands. Inventory for maintaining a residential house on 0.5 acre lot with Karen HOA - most of the work is landscaping/gardening:
>wheelbarrow
>electric chainsaw
>dolly
>post hole digger
>Miscellaneous Shovels (Regular, Flathead/Square, Trenching)
>Hand Tiller
>Miscellaneous Trimmers (Large Branch, >Wide/Bush, Hand Pruners)
>Pump Sprayer (1 Gallon) - Upgrade?
>Full Tool Kit (T.K. Below)
Miscellaneous Gloves (All purpose leather, Heavy Duty, Gardening)
>Pickaxe
>Large Axe (Chopping?)
>Miscellaneous Rakes (Metal / Plastic Wide / Smaller Plastic)
>Miscellaneous Brooms (Shop / Regular)
>Pressure Washer - Sell?

>T.K.
>Impact
>Drill
>Angle Grinder - Not really used
>Socket/Ratchet Set
>Wrench Set
>Measuring Tape
>Hammer
>Miscellaneous Vise Grips (S/M/L)
>Wire Cutters
>Wire Strippers
>Miscellaneous Screwdrivers (S/L)

>> No.2623058
File: 477 KB, 1280x960, 4A33B6B2-8D71-4A24-B669-B4AD0C70288F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2623028
>Pump Sprayer (1 Gallon)
If you don’t let your lawn go real bad with weeds, I do pretty good with those little 1/4-1/2gal size, not heavy and good enough for a couple rounds of weed spot control.

Also one of those fertilizer/seed spreaders, the handheld ones do pretty good for fertilizer a couple times a year.

Pole saw and hedge trimmer. I have a Fiskars manual pole saw with the lopper that is straight, got a 120V electric one and was about to upgrade to 18V cordless, but the new house doesn’t have many big trees.

The small ~$100 2000psi electric pressure washers are decent enough. Gas had more balls but for the driveway once or twice a year, $400+ and the garage space means the electric one makes more sense for me. The smaller 12”-14” surface cleaner for the electric one is a nice add-on for ~$50.

Hedge trimmer very likely. Cordless electric ones are nice now. And I have the Expand-It electric trimmer now, I got the edger attachment and they sell a pole saw and articulating hedge trimmer attachements for that thing which are tempting.

Generator? Depends on where you live. Extension cords too. I’m sure there’e more. Blower. Shovels, rake, ladder(s), a good push broom for sure.

>> No.2623061

>>2623028
Also I can’t tell you the last time I have needed an axe with a suburban 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre lot. Especially if you’re in a Karen HOA, are you going to be processing firewood at home? You can probably take the axe off the priority list unless you aren’t going to get a chainsaw and/or sawzall.

I guess if you have a real wood burning fireplace, maybe you want the axe to split larger logs, but I haven’t had a fireplace since I came to Florida.

>> No.2623066

>>2623028
Small torpedo level and bigger 48” level too, probably a stud finder too. Some sort of sander plus caulk gun and joint compound knoifes and shit for common drywall patching and all that, I’m sure those projects will come up as you move into a new place.

Pipe wrench, channellocks, plumbing stuff as you get into your first pluming repair. Make sure you know where your water and electrical shutoffs are.

Speaking of electrical, a multimeter for sure and learn how to use it. At minimum you want an NCV so you make sure you shut off the right breaker.

I’ll be back later with more sperging out. The wife wants attention.

>> No.2623073
File: 2.05 MB, 4032x3024, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2623066
One more

Air compressor, at least a smaller 6gal pancake one might come up on your list fairly quick. And make sure you have a couple good flashlights and lanterns around, it amazes me how completely fucked people can be when the power goes out for a couple hours. Also attempting to do repairs in dark spots without a good area light and maybe a headlamp or a good magnetic work light can suck balls.

Good luck Opie, you’re going to get retarded long lists of proper hand tools and power tools. Get down on a good homeowner 18V system like Ryobi or if you got money to blow DeWalt or Milwaukee so you don’t end up with a dozen different batteries. Ryobi has so much good homeowner stuff that I’m going to shill it even though you said no brands. Then you can jump on a cordless 18V version of any tool or yard equipment instead of running 200ft of extension cords and you will already have batteries.

>> No.2623816

>>2623061
I own a few axes but I also live on the west coast.

>> No.2623847

>>2623816
Yeah the last time I used one with a 1/4 acre lot was when I was in my early teens and a bad storm knocked over a big oak tree and I still had a wood burning fireplace.

But even that on a 1/4 acre lot, I had to dispose of a bunch of it because I couldn’t store the whole thing to dry it. Kept a bunch of the trunk and big limbs and split them and was able to run the stuff thru the fireplace a year and a half later.

>> No.2624043
File: 59 KB, 1500x1500, 1160000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a 6 foot, 18 lb Steel Post Hole Digging & Tamper Bar.

If you have stuff to eradicate, this is a beast. It is not designed for prying, but I pry stuff with mine and sometimes have to straighten it.

The harbor freight version is cheesy and bends effortlessly.
There are smaller versions with a wooden handle called a mutt.

A file to sharpen shovels and other tools.

A machete

Harbor Freight has a rather decent backpack sprayer, much nicer to work with than a hand held.

>> No.2624119
File: 2.22 MB, 2048x1365, 061A4057.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2623073
thanks for the awesome response namefag you mentioned a few things I have but missed like fertilizer spreader, stud finder, levels, caulk gun, ladders

The pressure washer is from a failed attempt at starting a business and is way too overboard (3800psi) for my purposes. Looking back the smaller electric ones are probably perfect for most home uses, but I'd almost rather pay some neighborhood kid $80 twice a year than keep one around to not use very often

Axe has definitely been needed alot mostly for getting out stumps/roots and thick vines from landscaping which died in some uncommon freezes

how to into plumbing/electrical? thats definitely my weak spot and still a job for the handyman most of the time - actually need to replace a fixture light on my list but havent tried after zapping myself doing a smoke detector

Also forgot shopvac

>>2624043
These are awesome tools I've used one alot for residential contracting absolutely godly for getting fence posts out
>skrama 240 > machete

I was hoping for anons on smaller/larger plots to share and compare. No mowing stuff just cause its easier to pay some mexicans to do that/mulch and handle everything else.

>> No.2625169

>>2623028
Fuck a wheelbarrow, get a garden wagon such as a dumping gorilla cart. way more useful and anyone can use it. wheel barrows the tire goes flat or handles break, tip over at wrong time, hard on inclines.
San Angelo bar, pick axe sucks. get a trench shovel, 5 inches wide, a regular round shovel and a square shovel. pitchfork, garden fork. go to the camping section of walmart and buy the $7 camping saw. the one splurge for saws for pruning- a Silky Hayauchi, the big version.

>> No.2625172

>>2624119
>into plumbing and electrical
Plumbing isn’t that bad, it’s just fucking dirty. This house is all goddamn PVC and CPVC so it’s easy enough, but I’m pretty sure these days even copper is simple because you can adapt a bunch of stuff to simple sharkbites.

Be smart and leave yourself an extra couple inches coming out of the wall and floor when possible so you don’t fuck over the next person who works on it (which may be you). I try to remember that so I have room to hack off old PVC and get a fress coupler on there.

And electrical, learn how to use a multimeter and you will be golden. And these days with Amazon it’s nice because there’s tons of <$50 diagnostic tools to troubleshoot stuff easily, outlet testers and circuit breaker finders are worth the $10-$20 off Amazon to save you a few hours of confusion.

>> No.2625174
File: 482 KB, 960x1280, 2BF777DE-D288-4EF5-B399-34D96DCC1696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2624119
>>2625172
Also with electrical, take off your badass skull ring, get the NCV and double check with the multimeter and don’t be lazy (take the walk to the circuit breaker and flip the switch when needed) and you will be ok.

>> No.2625176

>>2625169
^This