[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 58 KB, 776x360, image-13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
260888 No.260888 [Reply] [Original]

Any suggestions for a protective coating on a pvc nylon fabricl?
I bought a cheapo inflatable boat but I would prefer not to drown in the middle of a lake. I tried coating it in thinned out GE outdoor Silicone II but it is not adhering well. The boat's straight out of the box so it's not dirty or anything.
Cheers
Pic related. It's my dingy.

>> No.260901

I work in a Marine Store, selling inflatable boats and and SCUBA gear.

I wouldn't exactly call that a boat or a dinghy. We affectionately call them "pool toys".

But, if you want a protective finish: http://www.nauticalease.com/products/inflatable.htm

Silicone is not advised. It creates a film that will make it impossible to patch the boat, should it spring a leak.

I'm the proud owner of a 1994 Avon 310 that I use as my dive platform...it's Hypalon of course.

>> No.260911

You might wanna try using plasti-dip spray, or some kind of sealant spray. No clue if it'll work, though.

>> No.260919

can I post a picture of my dingy?

>> No.260941

>>260911
this. dipyourcar.com sells kits and cans for spraying cars. could also work for this type of project. id say probably 4-5 cans would do it.

>> No.260982

Hey OP,

I have the same little dingey that you've got there. I've been using it for 5 years now, though not too seriously. I don't have any sort of protective coatings on it, but I have never had a problem. I think I have had a total of 3 pin-sized holes in it, which I just patch with some vinyl adhesive.

As far as drowning in the lake goes, I can't think of much that could gash a big enough sized hole to worry about while you're in the water. Plus whatever could make that much damage, would pass right through whatever protective coating you could put on.

>> No.260996

are you talking about protection from the weather and or dry rotting or from cuts and abrasions?

if weather and dry rot how about pain good old fashion Armer All?

>> No.261004

>>260888
>Any suggestions for a protective coating on a pvc nylon fabricl?
you're doing it wrong, just use it as it is
anything that would stick to it would have to partly dissolve the PVC base to adhere, and its already thin as it is. you just gonna ruin it that way.

also, how can I say delicately?.... these cheap inflatables are for sheltered flatwater only. high waves will often spring leaks in them, just from the stress of being flexed a lot. if you are too far to swim back to shore, then you're too far from shore for this boat

if you want a tough raft, save up the money for a NRS: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1123

>> No.261034

The only thing I can think of is truck bed liner then it no longer becomes deflatable...
Well it is but the shell will remain

>> No.261035

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm totally aware its expendable its just the best option for backpacking when I need to cross lakes between trails. Anything that would help it be more reliable is a plus.

>>261004
I didn't really think about the issue of adhesive dissolving the thin material so thanks for the tip.
I'm wondering if a small second lair of material can at least be fashioned to the nose to cut the risk of blindly running into something.

>> No.261049

>>261035
As someone said, these cheap inflatables are for sheltered flatwater only. If there's a risk of blindly running into stuff, then maybe you should get an aluminum boat!

Or, if you're just paranoid about drowning, wear a life vest. In fact, wear a life vest regardless. You can get life vests made for activities like kayaking that are slim and won't impede your motion.

>> No.261204

FWIW, I threw several heavy coats of Rustoleum's Leak Seal on the nose and underside. It holds well and is flexible but I doubt it will do a whole lot. At least it's something.

>> No.262431

>>261035
http://www.pakboats.com/

Just an idea. They are a little expensive, but probably get a lifetime of use out of them.

>> No.262451

>>262431
Thanks for the link. After searching around I found that the next step up price-wise is the inflatable from here.
http://flyweightdesigns.com/?wpsc-product=flytepacker-packraft-2
From there, better boats head north of $1000 pretty quickly. So hopefully you guys can see why I would prefer to start with a small, lightweight $40 boat. Even with $100 worth of materials put into it, it would still be very worthwhile.