[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 57 KB, 530x800, dark_knight_costume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
258193 No.258193 [Reply] [Original]

I'm wanting to create a suit of armour, that can protect against slashes from a knife. Similar to the british hoodie that had kevlar interweaved in it.
I was inspired by The Dark Knight and have some good ideas but not sure how I would do it. I'm looking to have kevlar sheets at body joins that cover the join and about 5-10 cm above and below as well as covering my whole torso with separated plates of some sort of hard material and kevlar joining those plates together.

TL;DR A functional batsuit torso.

>> No.258205

Isn't that armor real?

Nomex Survival Suit is the name, OP.

>> No.258206

if i were going to make that i would start by getting a cheap/old boiler suit and sticking cardboard pads on where the armour would go to let you know what is practical and what isn't in terms of armour pad placement and shape.

after you've got it down use the cardboard pads as templates for the real armour and stick them to a kevlar suit

>> No.258208

very effective against non bullet weapons are linen and glue plates... in several layers.
thats how the greek protexted their bodies... this is trojaaaaaaa

>> No.258214

>>258205
I was thinking more towards his second suit as it gives more manouverability

>> No.258216

>>258208
>>258208

>troja

Troy

>> No.258235

http://darkvictory.com/html/catalog.html

Hodor.

>> No.258242

>>258193

Did you see the utility belt thread?

>>232470

>> No.258287

Kevlar is expensive and used for blunt force dissipation, tough, fire proof, but with slash right open. Listen to the history buffs on the laminated clothe. Laminate ripstop/ sail clothe with silicon caulk, thinned with naphtha and mixed with micron sized sand blasting sand. A few layers of that on top of an articulated thermo-molded abs plate system, and your ready to jump out of a car at 60.

>> No.258324

Chainmaille, bro. A tight weave, even in aluminum, will protect against knives.

>> No.258332

>>258324
It depends on too many factors with how the chain mail is made to make a blanket statement like that.

>> No.258356

>>258324
Aluminum? No fucking way.

>> No.258371

>>258356
>>258332

12ga 5/16" ID or 10ga 3/8" ID. A knife can't slash through that.

>> No.258563

As someone who has made chain mail before, yes, it will stop a knife easily. If you use thin wire that deforms easily you want to solder / weld each connection so the rings don't come apart.

Thicker wire that holds its shape easier would not require any sort of welding however it would be heavier / bulkier.

Try looking into shark suits. Essentially they are chain mail suits made of very fine wire. If it can stop a sharks tooth it can stop a knife, easy.

>> No.258579

>>258193
SCA rain barrel armor. Look it up, or I might post a good URL when I get to my PC.

>> No.258581

>>258563
>If it can stop a sharks tooth it can stop a knife, easy.
This right here. The force exerted by a shark's jaw would easily exceed that of a human attempting a slashing or puncturing motion with a knife. A quick search shows an estimated 1.8 tons of pressure.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2008/08/06/Great-white-sharks-Awesome-18-ton-bites/UPI-7581121803352
6/

I would suspect it would take a larger force, and potentially a larger point/blade, to pierce chain-mail.. If you think about this, it would make sense - this is, after all, what a pike, lance, or spear was. Pikes were deployed into the ground and used the weight/inertia of the rider against them, which in this case was a very heavy horse moving at great speed. A lance was the same thing mounted on the horse, and the spear was a human-sized version, although when I say spear, picture something like a halberd instead, which had a large weighted head and was often longer than the human deploying it.

tl;dr you would need to be impaled by excessive force, at which point you're probably facing something big/heavy like an APC or tank.

>> No.258650

>>258193
>>258579
This should stop knives:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/Boris/armor/plasticarmor.htm

>> No.258705

>ITT: no one realizes how bad this thread looks in light of recent events

>> No.258711

>>258705
He's stopping knives, not bullets. Besides, he's dressing as the good guy, the violent lone-wolf vigilante.

>> No.258727

>>258705
OP Here,
TBH I've been thinking about this for a long time, only after seeing the dark knight rises was I inspired about what it could look like. I feel very sorry for those victims of the shooting.

This is only an experiment to see if there is a possibility of a real life batsuit. Also where I live (Australia) Bullet proof armour is illegal and I want to stay on the good side of the law.
>>258581
I looked into chain mail but I feel it may be too heavy for running in it. I see why its ok for underwater but you move a lot slower in water and wouldn't feel as heavy.

>> No.258736

I'm also looking for a type of fibre/thread I could use which has good resistance to serrated knives. A good example of a fibre I've seen is a type of palm tree fibre that covers the trunk. As I've cut a palm down it was almost impossible to use a conventional saw as the fibre fouled the blades.

Would chainsaw pants be any good for a starting point?

>> No.258738

Get a metal plate and shape it for comfort. Should stop most knives.

>> No.258740

>>258738
I'm thinking it would be way too heavy.

I want my suit to be protective, but not at a cost where I cannot move very freely in it. Needs to be functional but also maneuverable in.

I'm also looking at using strong plastics for the armour plates and I will be using some of my knowledge of Karate and other things such as pressure point to know where best I should put plates to protect the important stuff.

>> No.258749

What the hell do you want this for?

>> No.258751

>>258749
I was wondering when someone would ask.
Well first off I'd like to do some cosplay one day or use this for a film but this is also just really curiosity getting better of me. I've always wondered if its possible to create a fully functional Batsuit. I can't really see any practical application for it at the moment but who knows, it may look awesome as some house decoration.

I'd just really like to do some diy right now and can see this as being a cool thing to build.

>> No.258757

Motorcycle jacket

>> No.258758

>>258757
That could be a practical use. Especially with the pants as they would have kevlar padded knees.

>> No.258763

>>258757
>fuckbitches.jpg

>> No.258784

>>258751
possibilities
>vigilante
>rent suit out
>use it while swimming

>> No.258797
File: 20 KB, 502x327, scissor20Katar1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey BrOP in justice, here check this shark chainmail.

http://neptunic.com/sharksuits/neptunic-custom/

>18-20pounds / about 8kg
but spread throughout your body so you'd barely feel it.
>withstand sharks so i suppose it can save you from knives
also
>would bone that chick so hard. fuck.

Anyways what I got planned for my vigilante suit is
>Shark Mail (dat link)
>Motorcycle helmet with internal to external camera + HUD (still in R&D at the moment)
>Steal-toed boots
>Plated motorcycle gloves, jacket, pants
>Katar Push dagger
>TAZER
>(2) Cattle prod
and lastly
>my motorbike

>Pic related: it's a katar dagger.

>> No.258798

As for civilian wear

>Shark mail
>Hoodie
>Cargo/Army pants

>> No.258801

>"A shark bite will not be able to penetrate the rings, because the jaws will be shutting too slowly and the shark's muscles will not be able to cut the metal."

>> No.258811

>>258801
Of course, it will still crush the fuck out of you but hey, at least you weren't bitten?

>> No.258815

>>258797
I am starting to think sharkmail may work then. But I'm still sort of having the idea of an undersuit with kevlar patches over vitals with modular plates (probably plastic at this stage) linked together and placed on top of the undersuit.

I think I may do a drawing of what my design is soon and post it here.
I'm also now thinking about other items for this if I use it as a vigilante suit. I'd need some sort of portable EMP, or if EMP is too hard then some other item of usefullness as well as smoke pellets and maybe a baton (night stick or ASP)

>> No.258843

I've just had the best idea, (Well not entirely mine but still)

Instead of moulding plastic into plates I could use those thick plastic chopping boards as plates. That's fairly stab proof eh? It may require heat to bend the plates into body shape but if I buy in bulk a lot of cheap thick plastic chopping boards I can experiment and see the best way to protect the vitals. I only see one problem but if I go ahead with it it may not matter but it could be a bit heavy if I had heaps of plates depending on the weight of the original board.

>> No.258847 [DELETED] 

>>258843

see

>>258650

Rain barrels can be gotten for free or cheap, and they're pretty tough.

>> No.258849

>>258797
>http://neptunic.com/sharksuits/neptunic-custom/
not
>http://neptunic.com/sharksuits/neptunic-c-suit/

>> No.258953

8 inch dia. Black ABS pipe split down the middle and left in the oven on low will unroll into a sheet that will cover your chest. Wear a thick sweater and gloves to wrap it around you when warm and flexible, let cool TADA! custom molded chest plate. (easiest with a friend for a "dummy"/ extra hands) Wine bottles make good molds for forearm tapers. I use steel mixing bowls for shaping forms for shoulders and elbows.
Heavy leather or road cone rubber for flexible points.

ABS is cheap (cheapish nowadays), will take knives and clubs all day long, wont rot, light weight and buoyant (JIC). Super easy to work with, hand saw/ files/ sand paper, an oven with a "warm setting" (100 +/- degrees) or a pot of boiling water. Can be drilled and stitched, glue, screwed, bolted or riveted. Once done the whole thing can be covered w/ a semi-stretchy clothe and industrial spray adhesive.
Made fighting/ motorcycle armor this way a few times now and plan on making more.

Save the chain mail for gauntlets, (butchers gloves = blade proof hands) just snatch that shit from them, then body check with your plated shoulders. Follow thru with a chain mail back hand.

Makes me think about Tazer probes on shoulders. Would let you "sack" anyone with a tackle/should check. Keeps hands free in a scrap, not an obvious weapon.

Love these threads... still think they are started by agents to gauge average civilian mindset / ability.

>> No.258961

>>258953
If you want to go for the muscle suit look. I suggest shaped foam on top of the plate. Don't try to mold the hard plate keep it large and smooth for energy transfer. The muscle pads can be covered in plasti-dip or stretch clothe. Being made from closed cell foam makes it easy to shape and adds a layer of shock absorption before the hard plate, it also gives a layer for a blade to get stuck in (neutralizing the effectiveness of a blade is rule #2 in a knife fight, rule #1 is everyone bleeds... everyone. Avoid a knife fight!)
This brings up the real purpose of the cape, look into cloak fighting, and the lead lined cloaks the french police have used for years.
It's not fashion it's a flail.

Oh and strobe lights and personal alarms built into your helmet. Internal "bite switch". There face when your head "explodes" a split second before you strike. HAHAHA!

Polite sage for same fag

>> No.258963

>>258843
they sell farely cheap thin cutting boards around where I live. I have wondered if they could be used as super thing and light plate in a armor set up but I have not yet bothered to test them because I have no need of a knife proof armor suit at the moment and it would most likely be a farly involved project.

>> No.258977

Those cutting boards will warm up and shape just like ABS and other thermo-plastics. Good ventilation, and long low heat (15-20 mins +90 deg. on an old towel) . Already suggested but still check out SCA Armour making, this isn't Ren-faire cosplay it's full contact combat gear. (cold forging helms and plate mail, and hardened leather for patterns and techniques) most can be modified to work for plastic (IE: molding jigs). The cutting boards will "bounce" more than pipe armor (not a bad thing btw), it is the equivalent of off road/ sports armor shells. Back with foam cover in clothe, good to go. Good enough for down hill mountain bikers and they are more crazy than any vigilante.

Ride down a 5.3 grade climbing route @ 60+ MPH into a razor wire fence and laugh about how messed up your armor got over beers that night. Nice test of gear, yes?

>> No.259124

>>258953
I like the idea of ABS plastic but I know it degrades in sunlight. So I think I'll go for a mix of both ABS plastic moulded to suit an d cutting boards chopped into plates.
I'd probably use the ABS for things like my breast plate and greaves + vambraces and have the chopping boards as little modular plates in areas where I need more maneuverability
>>258977
That is a very good link and I am going to enquire into some plastic recycling plants to try get the barrels that were used in making that other armour that was posted before.

>> No.259554

Bump for major interest!

>> No.259688
File: 2.99 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_0087.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright, this is a bit of a long shot, but here goes:

I used to work at a big cat sanctuary, and we'd make all kinds of things for the cats. One of them was hammocks made of fire hose. Fire stations have to change them out on a regular basis, so there's lots of surplus hose out there. Not sure how to go about acquiring it (I wasn't in on that part), but that shit is strong enough that even the lions and tigers couldn't chew through it.

If you cut it lengthwise and unrolled it, you could have a nice strips of strong, flexible material to either cover a garment or put underneath...wouldn't breathe for shit (so you'd sweat your balls off), but it would stop a knife like nothing. You could also have several types...you can strip the rubber out for just the canvas stuff (more flexible, less protection) or leave the rubber for more vital areas.

Pic related, it's two of the bobcats in a fire hose hammock

>> No.259736

>>259688
that's fucking genius right there!
I'll have to look into it, but I may use that if I can get some as undergarments for my vambraces and greaves.

>> No.259830

Copy-pasta! Make your shit sheer-thickening to prevent stabs from thin shanks and increase bullet resistance.

Current advances are sheer-thickening fluid treated kevlar. Sheer-thickening fluid get hard when it's hit with force, like cornstarch and water if you've ever tried that. Put silicon dioxide in a mixture of ethanol and ethylene glycol and dunk kevlar. Let the ethanol and glycol dry, leaving you with sheer-thickening enhanced kevlar.
http://www.ccm.udel.edu/STF/images1.html
They used the same technique to make small round resistant nylon. 2 layers of treated nylon blocked an 800fps bullet (they don't say what round)

>> No.259891

>>259688
If you are a buy fag, Duluth Trading Company sells great pants out of the firehose canvas. Ive had mine a little over 7 years and work in them all the time and they are just now getting threadbare. Im sending them back soon bc they are supposed to be lifetime warranted.

>> No.259968
File: 183 KB, 400x323, 1341275975913.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey guys just thought i'd say I'm posting this thread on my up and coming wiki on supersuits. join and contribute!
http://supersuitforgood.wikispaces.com/

>> No.259973

>ctrl+4
>James Holmes
>0 of 0

C'mon guys, you're slipping

>> No.259980
File: 39 KB, 268x265, 1331599401520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>259968
>mfw someday /diy/ becomes /diyhero/

>> No.259993

>>259830
Copy Pasta?

I'm not trying to make it totally knife proof and bullet proof. There is a fine line between total protection and useability. Google Ned Kelly and see what I mean.

>> No.260019

>>259830
Is there a pdf with the ratio of the chemicals, or a diagram or software we could use to deduce it?

>> No.260104

>>259891
I think I can get some fire hoses for free, so that shouldn't be a problem if I use them.

>> No.260684
File: 173 KB, 225x224, 1339092696368.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump.

>> No.260788

>>258843
Why not use that plaster stuff they use for casts and splints? Add water, mold, cut, fasten, and hey presto, instant armour plating that will certainly stop a slash or stab. And defend against a lot of blunt force as well.

>> No.261368

Bump for interests

>> No.261483

>>261368
bump

>> No.261536

>>261483
I hope this doesn't die.
I've been looking into materials to make this and so far it seems it shouldn't be too hard, seeing as I already have some of the stuff required. If this thread does die however expect to see another one soon with WIP shots of it and maybe a completed product

>> No.261572

I want to wrap this:
>>259830

In this:
>>259688

>> No.261656

this thread should live forever until all of us who wish to do good have created suits and have helped be that hero each city deserves...
or at least have a decent body armour set up to take cunts out left n right when shit goes down in bout 20-30 years

>> No.261673 [DELETED] 

>>261656
This.

Also, utility belt and glider/reusable parachute.

>> No.261677

>>261656
This.

>> No.261739

>>259830
i would go with this method its not some half assed ghetto method like duck taped phone books or casting material.

the method of of using poly ethylene glycol + Kevlar sheets is currently under study to make stab and slash resistant clothing for correctional officers.

body armor is to cumbersome and leave vital areas open for sharp objects. it would be better if you put plates on certain areas like the darknight did, but have stab resistant cloth between plates covering the rest.

>> No.261766

I've been lurking this thread since the beginning and bumping it to keep it alive. Last night I went out partying and my friends got fucked in a drunk driving accident so I was at the hospital to see them. While I was there I heard about a girl who had her wrist slashed by some coke head 14 year old bitch. She was going for her throat and it got her wrist instead. Bitch is going to juvi now but it really got me into thinking about fighting crime, i live in prince george, bc, canadas worst rated city for crime. I'm making a suit regardless of its purpose.

>> No.261770

You guys should check out backyard fx's video on making prop armor using foam, just take a dremel to it and carve designs. Would make a good template for ABS plastic armor and fire hose with stretchy fabric spray adheasived on.

>> No.261775
File: 696 KB, 1024x768, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dumping suits

>> No.261776
File: 459 KB, 800x1067, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.261777
File: 395 KB, 774x1032, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.261787

>>261777
what type of foam is this?

>> No.261789

>>261787
no idea but it's called RIGOR combat armor, it's on deviantart by ~Evil-FX

>> No.261790

>>261787
EVA foam

>> No.261792

>>261789
>>261790
ok thx

>> No.261796
File: 162 KB, 479x800, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Saw this on another thread

>> No.261830

Bear in mind that while slashing is easy to armor against, stabbing isn't.

Either you have thick material much harder than knife steel (eg: ceramic), or softer materials that compress around an intruding blade and "grab" it to increase cutting resistance.

Kevlar is fibrous, and resists impact and to a lesser extent slashing. The force travels along the fibers instead of into you. It's mostly useless against stabbing though, as an intruding blade will simply push the fibers out of the way and travel past.

A cheap but not particularly long-lived way to do this is with emulsified corn starch.

"Stab-resistant" kevlar armor actually doesn't rely on the kevlar to resist stabbing at all. It instead adds a layer of shear thickening fluid behind the kevlar to grab the blade.

>> No.261985

bump

>> No.262053

Most of you have never seen a knife attack. Watch this video,
youtube.com/watch?v=D0jwpwzGpGQ
It should give a good idea of where to most effectively armor up

>> No.262054

>>261775
I want this.

>> No.262059

Ive been thinking about making something too, but more like kevlar sewed into cloth and maybe thin titanium plates that would still allow me to move but protect from knifes as well? Can someone tell me if this is a dumb idea? Also whats a good way to protect your head, face, eyes?

>> No.262090

>>261830
well said sir
the only thing ill add to that is simply the shear thickening fluid on cloth wont stop the FORCE of the knife but will keep the knife from penetrating your body.
so it will hurt but you will live.

>> No.262346
File: 207 KB, 574x800, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.262348
File: 525 KB, 425x638, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.262351

i would imagine a riveting scale pattern of even cardboard is good for a one time use. is also light.

works against rubber bullets.

>> No.262383

>>261830
I guess you didn't read what my idea is.
I said I would have plate armour made probably from plastic or a light metal with kevlar fabric in between to protect from slashing.

To everyone else, thank you for keeping this thread alive, and whoever is dumping those pictures of armour, even though its not real it still gives me some ideas. Thank you so much.

>> No.262732

>>260019
Search for "Norman Wagner" on Google patents, he did most of this work and has 4 or so similar patents, one of them should have the ratios

>> No.262741

i was thinking of doing the same thing, but nowhere near as complex. i was thinking motocross armour with added plating, as it is fairly mobile and protects from most knives. a kevlar underlayer would be recommended.

>> No.262781

Does anyone know what the hell the use in plastic plate-inserts? Not stab-proof but level II/III plates. I've seen them online once but I can't find any anymore.

>> No.262856

Could you use abs plastic as a chest mold and armor plates, covered by Eva foam?

>> No.263462
File: 27 KB, 381x358, 201012016364973484.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>261830

How to make stab AND bullet proof armor:

Kevlar covered with a non-Newtonian shear thickening fluid like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYIWfn2Jz2g&feature=related

Mix polyethylene glycol and powdered silica (watch video at 3:29 for portions (about 1:4))

To get the silica small enough, you'll need a 100ml Stainless Steel Lab Planetary Ball Mill Grinding Jar w/ Ball Media, with you will fill about 1/3 full with your silica.

And

You'll also need a desk top vibratory shaker high energy mixer ball mill (pic related), which will run you around $3,000.

Make sure your shaker and grinding jar are compatible. That will get your silica particles small enough. There is probably even a chart somewhere online that will tell you approximately how long to run your mill to get silica that small

Also if you do actually do this, which I doubt you will, wrap a rubber band around your mill jar. It will keep the jar from popping open when you are taking it out of the mixer.

>> No.263515

>>263462
>$3000
Fuck.
That.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ball-Mill-from-mainly-recycled-parts/

>> No.263527

>>263462
three points:
1,,,,, OP is kinda hare-brained, but anyway

2,,,,, you don't need to grind up silica yourself, it is already sold as "fumed silica". it is used a a thickener in many different things, composite epoxy and resins among them. Places IRL (boat shops) or places online sell bags of it, and it isn't really expensive

3,,,,, you will need a respirator to work with fumed silica. it floats in the air a long time if it is disturbed, and it is bad for your lungs (causes obstructive disease).

>> No.263535

>>263527
>fumed silica instead of milled silica
Will this really be a suitable substitute?

>> No.263570

>>263535
I don't believe so. The silica in the vial that guy is holding has clearly been milled to a fine powder.

Also, don't think you can throw together a homemade mill/shaker yourself. Silica is a pain in the ass to mill (meaning it takes time even with the right tools), and a drill motor hooked up to a plastic jug is not going to cut it. You might be able to use an old paint mixer like the ones they use at home improvement stores- if you have one.

>> No.263657

>>263462
Ok seriously, leave.
I'm sick of having people talk about "shear thickening fluid". As I have said before and I will say again now. This armour will NOT be bullet proof, I don't want it to and it doesn't need to be. I'm making this out of low-cost easily accessible materials (minus the kevlar cause thats hard to find in my country) and that would mean the cost would not be high.

Another reason for it not being bullet proof is that in my country bullet proof (or resistant) armour is illegal and I can be sent to jail for I think 3 years just for having it. Once my armour goes from stab/slash resistant to bullet proof it does not count as sport armour any more.

>> No.263699

>>263657

Not the guy you're replying to, but This thread isn't JUST for you; it's for people with similar minded goals to discuss their ideas. Some people might want to add a bullet proof quality to their armor, im sure that's who it was directed towards

>> No.263734

just get off you ass and go to turtle armor.com and buy a shirt Ans gloves and call it a day

>> No.263863

>>263734
/diy/ - Go buy it

>> No.263864
File: 598 KB, 245x135, 32154513245.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw this thread

>> No.263941

>>263657
ok if you seriously just want stab proof then your best option is to layer plates under a thick strong cloth like canvas or better yet that fire hose material.
and the plates dont have to some crazy expensive material, some of ther riot gear and stab proof vests used high end abs plastic. im sure someone as resourceful as a 4chan /diy/er can find a suitable plate material

>> No.263955

Didn't Batman get stabbed in that suit?

>> No.263996

>>262856
for looks yes, but then there's no need for the abs. for functionality I would use sleeping pad foam sewn to a microfibre undersuit, then a layer of kevlar impregnated with the sheer thickening fluid. plastic would go last if at all.

>> No.264233

>>263996

he's not talking about plastic in the shape of abs, he's talking about ABS plastic, a type of material

>> No.264234

>>264233

My bad I read your post wrong

>> No.264477

>>264234
sorry I noticed the ambiguity but didn't bother to change my post

>> No.264541

Does anyone have experience with carbon fiber?

>> No.264575

>>264541

None whatsoever.

Someone elaborate?

>> No.264639

The plate armor of European soldiers did not stop soldiers from moving around or necessitate a crane to get them into a saddle. They would as a matter of course fight on foot and could mount and dismount without help. In fact soldiers equipped with plate armor were more mobile than those with chainmail armor, as chainmail was heavier and required stiff padding beneath due to its pliable nature.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

>> No.265181

Bump.

>> No.265216 [DELETED] 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elhgoSX5Qw&feature=relmfu

contributing, this video gives some good insight !!'

>> No.265217

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elhgoSX5Qw&feature=relmfu

this video gives some good insight

>> No.265269

>>261766
The hard part about this is getting there before the crime takes place or catching the crim before they leave.

>> No.265277

>>265269
It'd be easier if you had a personal winch and glider. The Atlas Ascender is anl nice personal winch, but the glider - that's almost impossible...

>> No.265278

Fuck. I saw an article in the internet someday, about how to build an "armor" like the Alexander The Great's army used (or maybe it was some other famous conqueror). It was plain wool with some kind of "glue" in it, that made it flexible, but strong enough to don't let a small sword cut it. Of course, the impact of the sword would hurt as fuck, but it would be like being hit with a tourament sword (with no edge). Anyway, I'll try to find this

>> No.265280

>>265278

LINOTHORAX! Thats it. Fuck yea. It was easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ERSx1o8wwk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html

http://hetairoi.de/en/living-history/construction-guides/linothorax/

Easy and cheap as fuck. BUT its better than nothing and If you do in a small size, much more confortable than an chainmalle (its lighter)

>> No.265285

>>259973
yo >>258705

>> No.265290 [DELETED] 
File: 64 KB, 876x584, flowfittingcomposite.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need a flow fitting/valve for a 14.9cu ft (420 litre) helium tank. The gas flow needs to be approximately 15 litres/min. I also need a compatible plastic hose and a gauge. Any ideas on what brands they are sold under? I'm having a hard time finding anything on Home Depot's website.

>> No.265301

>>265285
I live in NJ, home of the strictest gun laws of the country. When you can't protect yourself with conventional methods, you have to improvise. I applaud this thread.

>> No.265341

>>258216
no.

>> No.265672

I hate necro'ing posts, but it felt appropriate.

After doing a bit of looking about, I began to wonder about how you would test the effectiveness of the suit; and started building a set of requirements/testing procedures, someone wouldn't need to test entire suits, just panels of the constituent materials.

Material Testing Standards

In all tests, the armor solution to be tested will be made as a 15.25cm (6 inch) square, and will be weighed to determine the resistance-to-weight ratio.
All tests will be backed by ballistics gelatin, ballistics/penetration tests will use 20cm (8 inch) cubes of ballistics gelatin; impact tests will use 1 inch spruce dowels encased in 10cm (4 inch) diameter ballistic gelatin cylinders.
Penetration is graded on a scale of 0 (lowest score) to 20 (Highest score), where each cm of penetration deducts one point to the score.
Impact is graded by maximum angle of deflection of the spruce dowel during impact (or after, if there is breakage), and therefore goes from 180 (highest score) to 0 (lowest score possible)

Standard Ballistic Test

Penetration test involving 9mm, 45ACP, and .38 special rounds fired at point blank, 15.25cm, 1 metre, and 10 metres. The three scores are averaged for each range category, and labeled "Small Arms" Each Range and calibre requires a new sheet of material.

Penetration test involving 5.56 and 7.62 NATO calibre rounds, at above ranges, with an addition of 20 and 50 metre tests.

Deflection Angle Ballistic Test

As above tests, but with the target material at 45 degrees from the vector of impact.

>> No.265681

Standard Stab Test
Penetration test where a 30cm long, .5cm wide spike, whose cyndrilical tip is at a cutting angle of 60 degrees, is dropped from a height of 7 feet attached to a 5 kilogram weight.

Blunt Force Impact Test
Impact test where a 5 kilogram weight is dropped from 7 feet. (I forgot to mention that the length of the cylinder for the impact tests is 50 cm, with 2.5 cm on either side placed on a solid, inflexible object.)

>> No.265699

lol there was another thread similar to the utility belt threads, cept' it was utility gauntlets. I had a homemade resin'd carbon fibre custom build tube with some brass knuckles thrown in. i put a flashlight, a folding knife, and a divers watch. Also put on a nifty blue light survival laser, which is strong enough that i could ignite paper, cardboard, and melt other materials after just about 2 seconds of focused light.
shit was pretty cool, but for actual armor, the carbon fibre doesn't stop shit. It's alright for knives, but it will give with just a little bit of persistence.

>> No.265706

oh so far as my experience with carbon fibre goes, i mostly use around .5-1 cm thickness. I tried stabbing it for a utility gauntlet, see post above, and with a little bit of effort and persistence i could get my sogzilla through. if you really want to know, tomorrow i'm free for the morning and i could take some scraps out and hit them with my .22 LR

>> No.265709
File: 23 KB, 353x370, spratunk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i guess i can try to bump this thread

>> No.265713
File: 49 KB, 300x276, spratunk.1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.265714

both of the above are just motorcycle body armor models though, not what you are probably looking for

>> No.265728

i started a thread on the wiki
seems pretty bare, ya'll niggers should help out

>> No.265751

bump
where the fuck did everyone go?

>> No.265756

I thought Anders Breivik was incarcerated.

>> No.265761

>>262348
gods that is sexy

>> No.265763

So, I was most interested in the helmet of a theoretical suit. I would want it to have some kind of electronic display along with a optical view. Simply putting a display 2" away from your head doesn't really work, as it is uncomfortable and hard to read. I thought that the best way would be some kind of HUD similar to what is in use by the air force. I dont know of any diy stuff for this, but if it was working i would want some kind of gps system and if possible other environmental information. Maybe a facial recognition system, but I cant realistically picture when that would be useful. If I'm going that far then fuck, why not a complete armor status and night vision.
>implying any of this is cost effective in any way

>> No.265764

a SCBA would be a cool thing to have, if someone tried to pull the tear gas or whatever on you
getting a pressure seal would be a bitch to flexibility and movement because it would probably require you to resin a lot of your suit
but just being able to walk along the bottom of a river for half an hour is cool in itself

>> No.265767

so, how will you fags be paying for this with your day job at burger king?

>> No.265773

I'm going to post my entire suit concept design. The suit material is built in three "stages" the inner base, the soft point protection, and the hard point protection.

Inner base is 2-4 layers of ballistic-grade kevlar cloth, with shear-thickening material interspersed via ethanol dilution and soaking. This provides basic resistance to abrasion, stabs, and shrapnel.

Soft Point protection is made of multiple layers, 4 layers STF enhanced kevlar, 1 layer of fine, high carbon steel wire mesh, which is encapsulated into a rubber sheet 1 mm thick. The backing layer is 2 layers of Kevlar, as above. This would attach to the inner base via Molle-like velcro attachment or rivet-like connectors and would be replaceable. This would prevent minor impact/concussive damage and be functionally abrasion/stab proof while maintaining a good degree of flexbility for areas like the abdomen.

Hard point protection would be made of either hard ceramic tiles, or closed-cell (.1mm cell size) foamed aluminum (5-20mm thick, depending on location and preference), and would be designed to ablate damage by either shattering or crushing. With the ceramic, it relies entirely on the shattering effect to slow the bullet/shrapnel, whereas foamed aluminum "catches" the bullet and disperses the energy over a large surface area, as the closed cells collapse. These hard plates would be placed over the soft point armor, secured either via molle-like connections, or via rivet-like connectors.

>>Continued

>> No.265775

The helmet would be made of foamed aluminum(5mm thick), skinned on the inside with 4 layers of kevlar to prevent spalling, and a layer of foam that provides a custom fit to the user. The lens would be made of either thick (1-3 cm minimum) polycarbonate with the lowest refractive index possible(though impact tolerance is more important), or aluminium oxynitride laminated glass. (the latter is more ideal, but expensive).

A rebreather system (which are more lightweight than oxygen tanks) would allow sustained used of teargas and other chemical sprays without a need to worry, and the addition of aerospace bronchodialators and vasodialators would allow for enhanced performance.

Several points on the body could be rigged to provide a high-voltage electric shock to anyone in contact with the suit in the event of capture, or in the case of clandestine operations; thermite could be placed in the suite (it's extremely stable) which would incinerate the suit upon removal or death of the user (protecting the identity of the user and the technology of the suit).

>>>Continued.

>> No.265780

>>265775
>>265773
moar

>> No.265781

No HUD technology (nothing worth using that's off the shelf), though possibly either a smartphone dock or similar display unit to show a map of the area, made by aggregating any accessible building plans. (going to the zoning office and digging them up normally takes time, but isn't extremely suspicious or illegal, to my knowledge.) Otherwise making rough building plans based on covert measurements might be necessary.

Standard weapons; anything legally available to a citizen for either open carry or self defense. Tazers are always in season, as are chemical deterrents like mace and pepper spray.

The use/viability of a grappling gun is pretty...nonexistant for the regular walkabout, though flash grenades and the like would be fairly useful.

In addition, as a security feature, it may be worth either looking into IR-absorbing materials/paint, or whiting-out security cameras using ultrabright IR LEDs.

All of the stuff I posted can be found, bought, or made with off the shelf materials, and would run about...10 grand. maybe 15 grand depending on your ability to access the materials. The toughest shit to buy would be the aluminum, and finding a place to machine it; that and the polycarbonate or aluminium oxynitride laminated glass; though the latter may be seen soon as a replacement for windscreens and visors in expensive motorcycle helmets.

You could probably get a pretty big discount by making small lots of it instead of one-offs, and having replacement parts(and replacement people)is always a good idea.

>> No.265785

Testing new tripcode.

Also, links.
http://www.isotechinc.com/foamed-aluminum.html
http://www.mcmaster.com/#kevlar-fabric/=ip3yib
http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-mesh/=ip3zap
http://www.mcmaster.com/#polycarbonate-sheets/=ip409h

More?

>> No.265787
File: 16 KB, 434x328, sitharmor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i am just thinking of making a simple body covering that will be extremely light and essentially just like normal clothing. I'm thinking a kind of stiffened mylar backed with sheer-thickening kevlar. It's more of an anonymity suit than a protective suit, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
>pic related what im basing it off

>> No.265788

The suit itself would have to be relatively close-fitting in order to be effective, especially on areas with either the soft or hard point armor. I'm figguring it would, at the very least, have to be custom-tailored to fit; though some give could be cinched down with elastic (never underestimate the usefulness of good elastic cloth.)

It might be incredibly warm, so it's possible it may need some kind of internal temperature control; a simple radiator-type liquid-cooling system using a liquid with very high thermal conductivity would not be hard to make out of spare parts. either a fan or a series of peltier junctions could be sued to cool the suit; at the expense of additional weight and possibly noise. Infrared analysis would show "hotspots" where the suit is too warm, and applying the cooling there could be an effective way to minimize the amount of tubing and complexity of the system.

>> No.265791

Don't bother with mylar; material properties make it pretty useless. Go for function over form in all situations related to self defense. If you're looking for some personal protection, just get a damn class III-a bulletproof vest. If you want anonymity, throw a hoodie over it. Otherwise get out of this thread and to talk about shiny things in /cgl/.

>> No.265967

>>265788
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-03/new-polymer-conducts-better-metals-only-one-direction

2 years old article, did they cover this up?

>> No.266278
File: 114 KB, 673x301, 1343974989440.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>265787
>anonymity
>walking around in a handcrafted suit

i seriously hope you're gotham city

>> No.266606

Okay, couldn't keep reading all the posts about fire hose = stab proof...as a wildland firefighter, I've used the material in question extensively. It's great, and it serves its purpose well, but it is *NOT* stab-proof or even really resistant. It's meant to a great deal of pressure, while still being light and portable. If a big cat chews on it, it's going to bend under the pressure, and contour to their teeth better. I can easily stab the shit out of that hose, and have a few times on accident.

As to the efficacy of sharkmail, from what discovery has taught me, is that most sharks have the same jaw bite strength as a human being...what makes them destroy everything they bite, is their serrated teeth that they shake you violently with, which is where the chainmail would legitimately save your life. I can't speak as a professional on this part, but there's quite a bit of chaimail out there that is highly stab-resistant, but that's mostly because most knives aren't intended for penetration. A multi-tool knife will bend/break before the appropriate pressure is met to get through the links. However, a good solid knife can and will get through most calibers of chain ( or else coldsteel wouldn't have so many amazing fat dudes punching through car hoods and chainmail videos). Someone mentioned way earlier in this thread that kevlar is slash-proof...this is sorta true, but not really. The reason why chainsaw chaps work, is because it's a running blade that leads to the engine that powers it...chaps play on this, and contain loose fibers of kevlar, which get caught in the teeth, and bind the motor before the saw gets into your leg. This really only works with loose packed kevlar at that. The forest service banned woven kevlar chaps a few years ago after they realized this.

>> No.266608

>>266606
continued.

If you're looking for something to protect you from someone out to stab you, you'd be better off looking for a cheap motocross outfit, as it's meant to to absorb impact and disperse it, which is where most of these other options fail...I had some lacrosse gear, and the shoulder pads were pretty much stab proof, because it was three layers of material with very nice tear-stop fabric mixed throughout, but the chest was hardly protected, and was a gel like substance.

I'd use some form of light and durable plastic, put some silly puddy underneath it for shock absorption, and then get some firehose fabric to encase it...then make splintmail outta the whole thing. This way, you'll be able to take a stabbing, as well as a beating without losing too much blood, and you'll still maintain a fair amount of flexibility and not overburden yourself...but then again, if you're just looking to run in the woods and not rip your clothes, I guess kevlar is as good you can get for the price.

Sorry for the long rant, but someone mentioned one thing about kevlar, and then everyone here ran with it like it was the bible or something (iphone for the non-religious).

>> No.266667

Bump

>> No.266784

>>266608
Ok, I've read your points. I definitely agree with the point about shark mail because I was never really keen on that in the first place. The bit about kevlar chainsaw pants I knew but I didn't know they were banned but I still think I should have it between plates of plastic because in reality there aren't many materials that can resist slashes.

>> No.266968

>>266784
Sorry for a lack of clarity on my statement earlier: what I said was it was the woven kevlar variety of chaps that have been banned from use in the forest service...they still use kevlar chaps, but they must be loose fibers inside the normal canvas/nylon sleeve.

If you're looking for a good slash resistant fabric, there's a good set of fire hose (albiet very thick and heavy) which is the 2 and a half inch drafting hose they use in the field...it's kevlar/nylon (which is what all fire hoses consist of) that's lined internally with rubber to keep it's shape so it doesn't kink and disrupt the flow going into the pump. Now, if you're going to be using this, I'd definitely recommend using a banded mail-like combo, using it on only the upper layer, with the plastic sewn inside it, and then one to two more padded layers to absorb and displace pressure, and to protect your core from the inevitable glance the blade will make once it's pushed off the top plate. You'll pretty much stop the blade with that setup, and more importantly you won't have to worry about the pressure behind the blow dealing damage. Not sure why kevlar is still being demanded here. Sure, you might get your gear nicked a bit aesthetically after a couple knife slashes, but unless they're using a katana, you won't really have to worry compromising your protection using just a good thick nylon fabric. I also suppose if you're constantly getting into back alley knife fights, you might lose a plastic plate after so much repeated slashing in one area, but surely you could repair it at some point, or are we talking about some insane scenario where it's endless battling/no resources to repair your gear?

>> No.267181

We definitely need a wikia to share and contribute these ideas

>> No.268307

SAVING THIS THREAD FROM PAGE 10

>> No.268308

saving epic thread from page 10

>> No.268422

>>267181
yo>>259968

>> No.268792

SPOILER: The Dark Night armour does not protect against knife stabs.

>> No.269015

>>268792
Wow I never would have guessed?
Just to remind you though:
>TL;DR A functional Batsuit torso
>functional

>> No.269147

i kno this is a lil medevil but have u tried making the torso sort of round so that in the stabbing motion would be practically impossible? sorta like a knight's armor

>> No.269159

>>269147
I have thought of that but if they have enough force and my armour isn't too strong it could buckle and injure me. Also if its one big piece might be heavy and immobile.
I'll have to try it out though.

>> No.269170

>>268422
Still waiting to be accepted as member...

>> No.269175

>>269015
I think he means that if TDK suit was real and fully finctional as described in the movie, it's designed to be more flexible than the suit from Batman Begins. Bruce Wayne comissioned Lucius Fox to build him a suit that would allow for greater maneuverability. Lucius then says to Wayne that they seperated the plates for flexibility, "...but seperated plates mean you'll be more vulnerable to knives and gunfire." To which Wayne retorts, "Well, we wouldn't want to make things too easy, now would we?"

>> No.269176

>>269170

Same..

>> No.269179

>>269176
Odiesti?

>> No.269180

>>269179
yup

>> No.269181

>>269180
Fancy meeting you here!
>lucassparda

I replied to your questions, some good points and suggestions on your part!

>> No.269193

>>269181

Just read them, you made some very valid points.

But is the wikiaspace even still active by anyone else?

>> No.269195

>>269193
I'm giving it 3 more days before I make a new one. You in?

>> No.269199

>>269195

Absolutely. I'll leave my contact information on the wikias forum. Also, a close friend of mine is also very interested in this. I'm currently on vacation so when I get back me and him will begin our project of choice. I'll get him to check all this out and see what he thinks

>> No.269201

>>269199
Sounds good - but I have more ideas than just a utility belt, namely a wrist mounted pc and a personal winch. You might want to.hold off beginning your project until we discuss some more details.

>> No.269207

>>269201

Sounds good to me. Also, did you see the thread on diy about a week ago on a cooling system for a suit of armor? Some very interesting ideas posted there. I also considered the whole assassins creed hidden blade idea. Although the legality and lethality of it is pretty questionable. I'm not looking to go stab people, but in self defense it seems practical, and if holstered to your forearm could make for a hands free knife for any situation.

>> No.269210

>>269207
I missed the cooling systems :(

As for the Assasin's Creed blade, it seems your wrist and forearm are going to be under large amounts of pressure. Be careful if you go down this road.

Further, substituting the blade with a metal rod would take care of lethality and would still hurt like a bitch and serve as basic defence all the same.

>> No.269238

>>269210

I'll post what I have of the cooling systems.

And yeah, the practicality of the hidden blade is questionable. Last thing i need is to accidentally stab myself in the wrist. Perhaps it has no place to be used at all. Adding strength to a wrist mounted baton would prove to be pretty difficult, and not much more useful than carrying a baton (perhaps attached to the side of your boot).

On the other hand, anything is possible. Possibly adding taser contacts at the end of an extending rod to ensure you don't shock yourself as well?

>> No.269246

>>269238
>adding taser contacts
Always a possibility. You could even add them to the fingertips in the gloves you wear.

As for the wrist knife/rod, it's not completely useless. It adds an element of surprise to your blade/rod, it's just not practical for defense applications. It'd be a kickass offensive feature!

>> No.269249

Quick input: If you're starting small just make sure to cover the rib area alot. It seems it the small armor I've seen on youtube people take hoodie and just layer the chest and not the ribs.

>> No.269427

>>269249
the ribcage is very vulnerable to cracks in a variety of situations. It needs a hard shell to protect it from blunt forces of falling, blows, etc.

>> No.269460

just found this, somebody mentioned a motocross uniform, might be able to work with this if you have 1500 bucks haha
http://www.udreplicas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9

>> No.269553

>>269181
>>269179
private_pansy here.

>> No.269628

>>269246

Adding taser contacts to the fingertips would require that the glove is insulated. If you planned on implementing this, it would prove very difficult to Rappel, without ruining the gloves or hurting your hands

>> No.269665

>>269553
It's a wiki reunion!

>> No.269694
File: 6 KB, 461x483, stab resistant plate layout.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You could test this, and it'd be relatively cheap to test. Glue two thick plates of canvas/rubber firehose material together, then stick them to a plate of strong ABS plastic, Then stick another layer of Firehose under the plastic plate for added protection and comfort. The rubber should help with shock absorbing against blunt objects, and should slow a knife just enough to stop it from sticking you.

(Pic related, grey plates are firehose, black is ABS plastic)

>> No.269700

>ITT: people helping a guy who wants to pull off Batman massacre #3

>> No.269703

>>269700
With a knife? Yeah sure.
You're not the first person to say that, and you won't be the last.
I'm making a functional batsuit, what of it?
If you've got nothing constructive to add then don't post at all.
>>269694
Looks like a good idea, I might try it if I can get some ABS plastic and fire hoses this weekend.

>> No.269736

>>269628
Can you not insulate the gloves simply by wearing multiple pairs of latex gloves underneath the main canvas glove?

>> No.269745

>>269694

This is pretty much the same idea I had

>> No.269746

>>269736

Absolutely not. I'm an electrician and I've been shocked through shit I really never thought would conduct. You need different kinds of rubber, not just rubber in general. The materials aren't hard to find, many construction and electrical tools have insulated handles, so whatever those are made of I'd probably use. If you know some who works with power lines you could ask them for some spare gloves

>> No.269751

>>269736
modern tasers are powerful enough so that they dont have to touch your skin to shock you. They can shock you through layers of clothing. Most commonly, rubber gloves are used. Rubber is usually not enough however, unless you are dealing with a very small current (electric fences). You'll typically want some kind of ground insulation, like a layer of rubber in your footwear to keep you from becoming a nice circuit going into the ground.

>> No.269752

>>269751

People who work on power lines uses as much insulated protection as possible: insulated tools, Insulated gloves, insulated boots. This is so that if one fails, there are fail safes to ensure you don't die. All they have to do is accidentally touch something and they basically ignite before they even realize they did it.

>> No.269761

>>269752
thats why i think the whole taser contacts on your fingertips idea would be too self-endangering. Plus if you plan on doing anything else with your hands, you would probably break the contacts. And you would most certainly need a switch...more complications, more chances for something to go wrong...
just stick with an electrified blade.

>> No.269790

So how do you plan to control your various electronic systems, if you have them. Like flashlights, strobes, flares, IR, face recog, tasers, etc?

>> No.269813

new thread time?

>> No.269814

Those thin, flexible cutting boards can stand up to some slashing. Several layers could probably take care of stabs.

>> No.269820

Odiesti here. Im pretty into long boarding, and back in highschool me and my friends would make long boarding gloves by taking leather gloves and gluing cut outs of cutting boards on the fingers. Basically when going too fast, or when you want to do a slide, you'd hold onto the board with one hand (or none at all) and grind the other hand on the ground to decrease your speed. The gloves took a VERY long time to wear out, it is pretty resilient.

>> No.269859

>>269820
You could make scales out of those perhaps...

>> No.269895

>>269820
Those green mats or actual cm thick pp boards?

>> No.269911

>>269820
I always used those free Corian samples for my sliding pucks. I really think SCA plastic barrel armor is the cheap way to go, though.

>> No.270020

>>269911
So, here are the results of ~45 mins of testing regarding the plastic cutting boards. I took a combat knife to one about 1/4 inch thick, I couldn't get through with stabbing or slashing. Then I took an air rifle and used a hollow point lead pellet. The air rifle had even less of an effect that the knife. Finally, I stepped it up to a machete, in which the board split cleanly in half in 2 blows. I was going to follow up with an axe and a .22, but I never got that far.

>> No.270176

>>270020
>>270020
That's interesting that an air rifle couldn't penetrate the small thickness. I was doing some testing myself with some old skateboard pads and it seemed to hold up pretty well against my ka-bar USMC. Haven't stabbed it yet though

>> No.270255

>>269814
interesting page about these
http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=18171

>> No.270266

>>270020
Guy at my range uses one as a target, .22 will go through. It gets skewed and doesn't go straight out, but it still goes through. He also hits with with 9mm, .40, and .45.

>> No.270295

I seriously don't know anything about these kind of things, but since no one has said it yet I'm guessing multiple layers of cars safety belt could hold pretty strong against slashes

>> No.270365

im going to test some ABS plastic and see how it holds up compared to the plastic cutting boards

>> No.270381

>>270295
I'm doing some tests with hot-glue and thin sheet materials. The process was lightening fast compared to using other glues. The hot-glue also has a small amount of give to absorb shock.

Five layers of flexible card and glue was really stiff and very slash proof. Five layers of cotton cloth was more flexible and less resilient. A shank easily went through both of them. I still have to test other materials, I'll keep seat-belts in mind. Tomorrow I'm going to try adding sand to some of the layers.

After the part is finished it could be soaked in resin and vacuum bagged. Another possibility is soaking it in shear thickening fluid and then sealing the edges with traditional laminate.

>> No.270395

>>270365

Note that ABS plastic degrades from UV rays; it would be a good idea to cover any ABS in a stretchy (cotton?) fabric, followed by spray adhesive applied. Would give it a nice and stylish protective layer

>> No.270599

I'll post some pictures later today of what I've managed to find that may be slash proof.

>> No.270820

Revival bump

>> No.271061

>>270395
Anyone have an opinion on HDPE?

>> No.271243

>>271061
I had a go at making some from LDPE Plastic bags. Unfortunately for a first try it didn't work so well. I'll try again sometime though, but what I did get was quite tough.

>> No.271248

So uh
what do you guys think about putting a grenade launcher on a forearm rail type thing?

>> No.271299

>>271248

Have fun Being an amputee

>> No.271315
File: 34 KB, 486x421, bathands.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sonar based "bat vision" would be better if your branching out to gauntlets already.

>> No.271546

>buy hoodie
>coat it in black truck bed liner
mite work

>> No.271553

>>271315
Mounting it on the forehead seems like a more logical choice, or you could transform the data into auditory or visual cues.

>> No.271640

>>271546

No ventilation. Wear that for an hour and it'd be hot as fuck.

Terrible weight to protection ratio

>> No.271644

kevlar weave is meant to be bullet proof not stab proof as it takes blunt force a knife would slip through the fibres if you want to invest get the hard kevlar body armour or incorporate chainmail or something similar

>> No.271678

sheer thickening treated kevlar doesn't breath does it?

>> No.271715
File: 61 KB, 620x413, dredd_3d_-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

probably too heavy, but how about using tire threads cut into pieces maybe like mail armour or like the plates on dredds vest here

>> No.271760

>>271715
>tire armor

It can look bad ass,

https://www.google.com/search?q=tire+armor&tbm=isch

>> No.272136
File: 26 KB, 600x628, GTFO+spooderman+this+town+only+needs+one+hero+_390884527c3e3d40ef9734e87c687dbe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>271760
Tire armor:
> http://www.endoftheworldfor.us/howto-tirearmor

make a multi-ply material out of this with non-newtonian fluid sandwiched in the middle. Maby reinforce it with thin (14-gauge) steel as a backing. That way it is not only slash-resistant/proof, but it would also disperse shock. If you could somehow make joints with non-newtonian fluid, you could say, asorb impacts of falling without injuring your arms.

>> No.272727

Bump

>> No.272919

Here you go OP

http://udreplicas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9

>> No.272922

>>272136
> non-newtonian fluid

You mean shear-thickening fluid with suitable properties.
Why is /diy/ so obsessed with this stuff? Has anyone here actually made it? If yes, did it work and was it suitable to use with bat suit or whatever?

>> No.273050

>>272919
Sigh...
Yes I've looked at that before. Way before I came here looking for help. However, That isn't suitable (hehe) because of a) the price and b) Its a motorcycle jacket which is meant for light use I believe or for everyday riding. The motorcycle things I'm interested in is made for off-road use and is armour specifically for being smashed up and protecting you when you fall off your bike at a jump or similar things.

>> No.273051

>>273050
almost forgot.
If I can get plans for how they built that then I might use it as a guide but I wouldn't contemplate buying it unless someone gave me money for it.

>> No.273404
File: 38 KB, 599x384, clown-scares-riot-police.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>272922
I've made so-called "oobleck" before, but that's not what brought the idea to mind. I was thinking of a suspension of say, diatomaceous earth,(fine) sand and maby mineral oil. There's even an article on"liquid" body armor here:
>http://science.howstuffworks.com/liquid-body-armor.htm

This article states that researchers are developing a treatment for kevlar that would utilize silica-based shear-thickening fluid. The treatment uses silica nanoparticles and ethanol to permeate the kevlar, giving it a 350% increase in high-velocity projectile resistance.

>> No.273414

SO in short, what were looking at is a guy dressed up in bmx bike armor with chainmail linking parts, a ballistic vest. a long coat made out of a mix of fire hose material and chainmail.

Sound about right?
Add on every other suggestion here as well, i want to make a dyi/ definitive guid here.

>> No.273418

>>273414
Also, I suggest rock salt shotgun shells, and a long blackened knife for weapons.

Believe it or not, a it is hard to kill someone with a knife. You have to try. Fairborn once patrolled the mean streets of 1931 china with nothing but a long knife and a 1911. Put scores of men away.

Rock salts just hurt like a bitch and scare the hell out of people, and you can make them and a sawdoff shotgun by paying a visit to k/

Flash bang grenades sound like excellent tools.

>> No.274290

so much bump

>> No.274310

So did anyone actually build any armor yet?

>> No.274598

>>274310
Probably not because of the cooling problem. Refrigeration is one idea. Here's two more.

Thin copper sheet next to skin with perpendicular copper spikes protruding through the armor to an upper layer of copper.

Small vents to let sweat vapor escape. The path they follow could be snaked to avoid shanks.

>> No.274627

>>271061
Not sure the difference but 1/2 inch of UHMWPE will stop .45 ACP ball ammo. They sell them in in 1/4 inch plates (and probably other sizes) which would be stab resistant without being bullet resistant.

>> No.274630

Kevlar literally does nothing to protect you against knives. you need to go oldschool and get chainmail. Or use phonebooks taped around your stomach. I heard thats what they do in prison.

>> No.274703
File: 27 KB, 400x400, d2639059ccb7db3948e85434aaeb98a8-orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumping with cool armour

>> No.274817

Wow where did this thread go? Was so interesting reading it. Anyone actually make any progress yet?

>> No.275111

A video is up on youtube detailing how to impregnate fabric with shear thickening fluid >>274786

Direct link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DcSO4fs64

>> No.275249

>>275111
I want to test this out with "flowable" silicone.

I'm under the impression it might hold up to extended field use better that the glycol solution. After all it is the nano particles that do the work, the suspension medium is just that. Maybe a good soak then spread the cloth out on a vibrating table, (plywood + hose clamp + old orbital sander should do the trick) to evenly settle the silica. Then perhaps a few sheets of that laminated together and left to cure in a seal-a-meal bag under vacuum. Back that with an articulated abs plate male.
Then it's off to challenge that bear suit guy to "wrastle".

>> No.275328
File: 31 KB, 767x512, Plastic-Cutting-Board-K1007-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>258193
>>258193
1. Take a few of these. (about 1 dollar each)
2. Saw out the pieces you want.
3. Put in oven until shapeable
4. Let cool off.
5. Sew onto tight fitting clothing.

Ever tried to stab through one with a knife? Its near impossible. Its also cheap as fuck.

>> No.275353

you dont need armor. make a bookshelf instead.

>> No.275719
File: 20 KB, 220x319, 220px-PEO_soldier_Dragonskin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It might be low-tech, but one way I've found from making a few home made stab vests is fairly easy and pretty safe.

What you'll need is a bunch of melamine trays, a good sized hole saw and some thick carpet backing.

Note that this armour comes out being pretty heavy.

All you need to do is (assuming you've already made the vest part and just need to armour it):

Cut out as many circle plates from the melamine trays as possible.
Lay the plates out on in a scaled pattern onto your vest (like in this photo of Dragon Skin, they can be fastened with glue or inside a packet made of duct tape), making sure you get a lot of overlay between the plates.
Now, cut a shape of the heavy carpet (rugs are very good for this) that is the correct size to cover the plates. (It should have the carpet side facing the melamine scales, with the backing facing away from the vest.)
This should be duct taped around the edges into place.
If possible, make another pattern of your vest and overlay it, sandwiching the armour between both layers.

This can be quite heavy, though melamine is very light while being very hard. I've considered using the circle tops of tin cans in place of the trays, but haven't tried it yet.

>> No.275732

>>275328
Get the thicker ones. The thin ones are rather brittle actually. I'm not sure how long they'd last. I'd double them up and sandwich a layer of heavy linen between them.

>> No.275735

FYI, "Kevlar K-159 Style 779 Correctional Fabric" is anti-stab fabric used greatly in motorcycle clothing, prison systems for guards' protective clothing, and chaps used when operating chainsaws.

>> No.275777

Speaking from personal experience, the goal of chaps is not to prevent the chain from penetrating the chaps, but for the chaps to come apart and gum up the chain so that it stops cutting before it can get through the chaps. They are basically one time use deals and, as the video shows, tear pretty easily. The same can be said about bullet proof vests though too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6B61UXzejA#t=1m10s

>> No.275779

Eh, re-read that and I meant bullet proof vest are one time use, not easy to tear.

>> No.275835
File: 18 KB, 386x384, 1344608885081.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>275249
>mfw:
>vibrating table
>shear thickening fluid

I imagine it would be fairly simple and cheap to use something like thickened gelatin, fine diatomaceous earth and a dispersant (such as dmso) to make a suspension. Use the suspension to soak your fabric, then bake it at low temperatures. The only downside would be that gelatin is water soluable, so you would have to laminate it. This probably wouldn't permeate a more tightly woven fabric though.

>> No.275845

>>275835
Scratch that. Diatomaceous earth generally ranges between 1-200 micrometers, while nano-sized silica is usually between 400-500nm. If you could find some way to crush it though...

>> No.275861

>>275777
Yeah, I was going to mention that, but didn't want to type it all out.

>> No.276355

>>258205
> Suits also $300k

>> No.276357
File: 11 KB, 247x248, 1344466846649.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this thread is fucking awesome

>> No.276368
File: 55 KB, 467x700, awesome pic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

epic bump for an epic thread
also saving everything

>> No.276375

This Jacket:

http://www.saegeketten-onlineshop.de/Schnittschutz-Jacke-Forest-Jack-gruen/orange-EN-381

Saves you even from chainsaws. No joke. Its just 60€ and you can get those way cheaper. Sry for german link, im to lazy.

>> No.276378

>>276375
just google this:
cut protection jacket

>> No.276379

if ur a lazy faggot: direct video:
http://www.ppss-group.com/cut_tex_pro_video_demonstration.html

>> No.277377

OP Bumping to keep this alive. I have pictures of armour to post but I'm not on my PC right now

>> No.278082

>>277377
bumping for OP

>> No.278095

hey guys been posting in the armour threads occsasionally and i found this on deviant art, looks fucking immense and kinda what i want to make for armour

getfamousdesigns.deviantart.com

personally i think the key is to follow practical armor, have a chest piece, seperate rib pieces and shoulder parts, think the elvish armour in lord of the rings which had an overlapping chest piece to cover the heart and lungs with flexible rib armor in cascading peices

anyway ive linked you to the art page and ill give you the link i liked

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mass+effect+armour&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=
org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1024&bih=461&tbm=isch&tbnid=czqsHdQj_Pr2_M:&imgre
furl=http://getfamousdesigns.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-Armour-200013440&docid=vKjoAIOVUB-GI
M&imgurl=http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/065/5/2/mass_effect_armour_by_getfamousdesig
ns-d3b2zcw.jpg&w=1097&h=728&ei=wgc2UJGEHub80QWNxIDYBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=707
&vpy=165&dur=6119&hovh=183&hovw=276&tx=162&ty=129&sig=108081484483186132
624&page=2&tbnh=108&tbnw=163&start=12&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:12&#
44;i:178

>> No.278245
File: 678 KB, 656x900, the_shredder_by_davidrapozaart-d3cc3qk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>273414
>a long coat made out of a mix of fire hose material and chainmail

That sounds way too awesome. I might personally do away with the chainmail (gloves right?) and perhaps get some shuko attached to the forearm.

>> No.279295

>>278082 - me again
>>277377
OP, where you at?

>> No.279704

>>279295
I'm right here?
BTW Guys I am going to test how effective foam underneath cutting boards is at dissipating the stab force trauma.

>> No.279905

>>279704
Sounds good, but you might want to layer the foam with something in between that's harder - but not too thick or the suit will be ridiculously bulky and heavy

>> No.279942

>>279905
What do you mean by something in between that's hard? The chopping board is already stab proof so I'm using foam to dissipate the force or spread it over a larger area. I think by adding another hard object it would ruin the foams ability at spreading force.

>> No.279966

Sup, /diy/. I made a stabvest recently out of nothing but thick rug backing and duct tape.

I've tested it using a wide variety of knives and attacks and it does amazingly well. I tested knives varying from home made shanks, cheap knives to combat knives and incredible quality chef knives.

The shanks can be completely forgotten, even on a downward two handed stab. The cheap knives (and at least in my area, these are the most common threats) can be completely forgotten, too, even on a two handed downward stab. when tested in way I've seen most stabbings go (under arm close in stabs with the whole body put into them) combat knives and the quality chef knives penetrate the first layer of rug but get stopped blank by the second layer and doesn't touch the third. On downward two handed stabs, they penetrate the first layer and are caught again by the second.

Trying slashes with a box cutter just ends up with you hurting your hand. I've not tested it against needles but feel they come through.

The "vest" is more like a high belt with a chest plate, though it's only the first version. But again, after what I've seen of stabbings it's most often the stomach, high groin and kidneys that are targeted.

It is only concealable under a heavy or loose jacket.

I've done a live test (I know that is retarded) and the impact from stabs is spread out along the vest instead of absorbed into the body due to it's construction, which is pretty important. It does the same for attacks with blunt objects.

Ultimately, against a cheap few inch long folding knife and shitty kitchen knives (pretty much every you see round here) I feel that this vest reliably stops them.

Cont.

>> No.279967

>>279966

The construction is pretty simple.

You need to cut two plates from a heavy rug to fit across the centre of your torso, and a length from the top of your groin to just below where your collarbones meet.

You need to make another plate that fits the same as the other two, except with two "wings" that wrap the centre point of your back, and cover from the top of your hip to half way up your ribs.

Make four more plates, the same height as the wings, and about a half of the length.

Wrap all of the plates in duct tape individually. This makes it easier to attach them all together, making it stronger in the end.

The plate with the wings will be your top plate, the other two go on the back of this, and tape it together round the edges.

Take one of the small plates, and attach it to the back the current construction half way over the centre plate, and half over the wing.

Take another and put this half over the plate you just attached and half over the wing.

Duct all this shit together round the edges.

Make shoulder straps the correct length for it to hang over your stomach and just starting at your hips. Fasten it round the back with a belt.

This is pretty bulky, but is the most basic one you can make.

Next version I'm going to try to cut down the bulk by cover the rug with epoxy resin to make hard plates and scale them over each other.

>> No.279982

>>279967

Hey
hey
Hey dude

Hey listen
Just listen

I have an amazing idea

Make an image post of this

Please?

It would make it much easier to understand

>> No.280006

>>279982

Okay, I'll see if I can make a little diagram in photoshop, I don't have my camera at the minute, but I might be able to get some photos later for you.

>> No.280016
File: 347 KB, 1000x1123, hopethishelps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>279982

Well I hope this helps.

>> No.280148

Bumping an excellent thread.

>> No.280234

>>279982 here

>>280016

You are a scholar and a gentleman

>> No.280679

actually, op, some thick leather under the cevlar will protect alot better, because a direct stab can break kevlar.

>> No.280800

Bump.

>> No.280832

For those thinking about some kind of HUD, Nikon sold a camera with a built in mini projector, could be useful...

Back to the armour talk!

>> No.281365

bumping from page 4

>>280832 Well that'd be more of an Iron Man idea, but I suppose Batsy could have a HUD

>> No.281813

>>281365
re-bump - anyone else got any ideas about the suit?

>> No.282096

Liking this

>> No.282637

>>258193
*ahem* bump

>> No.283186

back in the day they used to weave wire into fabric.

>> No.284264

Where did OP get to with those "pics"

>> No.284307

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JABoCF5EOI&feature=related
If a highschooler can come up with ballistic plates OP should be able to do knife proof.

>> No.284824

>>284264
here.

Sorry for the delay though. In these pictures it shows some skate gear I've salvaged that is pretty stab proof and some camo pants that when layered up is fairly slash resistant.

>> No.284827
File: 471 KB, 1024x768, DSCN1019 edit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1/2

>> No.284828
File: 470 KB, 1024x768, DSCN1018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2/2

>> No.285008

>>284828
Simple, but effective

>> No.285495

holy thread this shit is old

>> No.285639

>>285495
I know right, its quite amazing.

OP here loves everyone who's contributed something. Keep it up!

>> No.285676

Ctrl F "D3O" nothing... really?
Mental masturbation over shear thickening materials and not one mention?
Not quite buyfag make your own pattern. But they do sell sheets of the stuff.
http://www.d3o.com/

>> No.286157

>>285676

Is that the stuff the guy was trying to sell on one of the episodes of Pitch Men? They tried to get Billy Mays to demonstrate it by letting a truck run over his hand sandwiched between two pieces of it, but he wouldn't let them and the other guy had to stand in for it.