[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 97 KB, 566x622, 1262767224242.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
257729 No.257729 [Reply] [Original]

Electronics/audio question:

I've got a pair of old Koss Ur20 headphones which have terrible sound quality, but are still quite comfortable. I want to replace the speakers, but can't find any headphone tweeters here. There are 0.15w, 8 ohm mini speakers available at a local electronics store which have very decent sound quality, and I was wondering if those would work for headphones or if the impedance is too low. (normally headphones have around 30 ohm or more)

Would it ruin the sound quality, or more importantly, could it damage the amp/computer/phone/whatever it's plugged into?

>> No.257735

Put a resistor of proper ohmload in series with the speaker. That should bounce the impedance up, there's very little voltage, you could get away with a 1/2W resistor easily.

>> No.257737

>>257735

at the cost of power dissipation and thermal loading.. i'd suggest getting speakers with the proper impedance for the best performance.

>> No.257739

>>257737

Twas the option he has with the criteria that he gave.

>> No.257740

>>257739

> "would work for headphones or if the impedance is too low."

It would work, at the cost of power dissipation and thermal loading. Just like I said :) .. Why? Because the impedance is too low.

> "Would it ruin the sound quality, or more importantly, could it damage the amp/computer/phone/whatever it's plugged into?"

Best performance would be from properly impedance matched speakers. Like I said :) I mean, if he's going to the effort of buying something, why not keep looking around and buy the right thing?

>> No.257754

I was thinking of putting some resistors in line, but what does the "thermal loading" represent in this case exactly? Some slight warmth or the foam insulation catching fire?

But really, could it cause damage to my output device? If it's safe I can easily just solder things up as a test to see what happens. Currently I'm hooking up my earphone through a speaker system which is connected to my computer. I don't know what the specs on the audio-out line are.

>> No.257762

>>257754

Yeah, "thermal loading" meaning basically wasted power burnt off in the form of head. At this scale, it wouldn't even be noticeable. But, why burn it off when it *should* be beautiful music being blasted into your brain?

It wont cause any damage to the output device SO LONG AS your series resistor ultimately brings the impedance of the load up to the amounted expected by the drive stage (the amplifier). Really, there's a huge tolerance for error in these kinds of thing, so I wouldn't sweat it.

>> No.257774

So something like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=003-22 before each speaker lead would do the trick?

>> No.257777

>>257774

Yup. It'll *work*, but its not the right way to do it. Expect the maximum volume to be like 1/5th of what it was before. I'm too lazy to do the proper math for power dissipation, but it'll be something like that (ie: shitty).