[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 37 KB, 500x333, 12-container-house-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
255566 No.255566 [Reply] [Original]

I've looked everywhere..I can't find out how much an 8 container home would cost.

Do you guys have any accurate estimates as to how much it would cost?

>> No.255574

all of your self worth

>> No.255576

As cool as that is

why?

>> No.255577

Why dont you price it out yourself?
Do up a barebones structure, check container costs and then if youre not going to finish it yourself, make some phonecalls to get estimates from contractors.

>> No.255584

A friend of mine builds these, somethig like $2000 per used container plus shipping and labor and an architect's fee for designing something solid. $50,000ish?

she recently had one built in the outer banks of NC

>> No.255586

If >>255584 looks anything like >>255566 that's a steal.

>> No.255588

where do you plan on building this?

>> No.255596

Been planning one myself -

20' containers can be had for under $4000 max usually.

*8 = max 36k
+delivery, placement, welding, other roofing, etc..

Could probably safely say $45-50k.

>>255584
Oh. beat me to it.. So be it.
>Second opinion agrees.

>> No.255597

$3500 per 40 ft High Cube is common. You would need a crane to move them too, which is roughly $100/hr.

>> No.255613

What would be zoning laws be like for this? I know it's by location but you know

>> No.255953

use google, my friend. Find someone who sells shipping containers; ask for a quote.
then, ask an architect how much they'd charge for designing your home (calculate square footage)
then, price of land
then labour (ask a local building company)

This is /diy/ not /wetellyoueverythingalways/. here to help, not to be an encyclopaedia

>> No.255963

>>255613
Easy if you're out of town, not so easy if in town. If you're out of town just call it a storage shed, and when it's approved and inspected, build a home out of it. Who gives a fuck?

Follow building and electrical and plumbing codes. Pour a foundation.

Don't buy land in town where there's a time limit to build, or a homeowner assocation who will hassle you.
You won't want your neighbours, and they won't want you.

>> No.255974

Container homes are illegal in my country. ;___;

>> No.255975

>>255953
Getting an architect to design a container house

lol wut

>> No.255989

In the end not much cheaper than a conventional home. You'll pay out your ass for safety inspections and shit like that because of the anal building codes you have to follow, negating most of the savings unless you do close to EVERYTHING yourself during the construction.

>> No.256000

>>255974
why?
>>255975
Haha seriously. Maybe if you're going to get it inspected and... live in it as a house, officially and legally then you need an architect's signature on it. :\

Personally i really like OP pic as it appears to be a steel shell with 8 containers. It seems like it would be so simple, practical, and big.

>> No.256008

>>256000
I think you meant engineer, not an architect, the city doesn't care where your breakfast nook is or how your living space flows into your kitchen

>> No.256023

Are there any articles on how you actually attach the containers together? I can't imagine you'd get a good seal between 2 horizontal units.

>> No.256025

>>256023
that is how they are stored on board?

>> No.256032

>>256025
yeah but you don't cut giant holes in the sides and try to connect them during regular use.

>> No.256073

they connect at the corners - square pin fits into a square hole then there is some sort of pin or locking mechanism to hold them together; this is when on a ship. for a house I'd think you'd just use the same method but maybe spot weld the pin/lock in position.
on a horz seam that will be exposed to the outside just need to add some sort of sealer/gasket or weld another piece of metal over the length of the seam.
this is not rocket science.
in the OP pic looks like a simple steel warehouse shed shell with the containers stacked inside... wouldn't have to worry about the container seams in this case.

>> No.256076

>>256032
They are stable trust me. Bearing load and stability will no be a major concern. Cutting out part of the sides will not make any difference.

>> No.256080

>>256076

Is there an internal frame to them? Like could I cut out two adjacent sides without worrying about it?

>> No.256087

they have a steel frame with a "skin" welded to it. all [well most] the structure and support is on the frame, not the skin.

>> No.256099

>>256032
>>256032
Earthquake = toppling over?
I'm not sure how safe this getup would be, but it's not like an earthquake completely fucks shipping docks.

>> No.256100

>>256099
>>256099
my other concerns would be the insulation. You'd practically live in a greenhouse in OP's picture.

central air systems aren't exactly the same green method these container homes come with, but no insulation is just suicidal in less than temperate zones.

>> No.256102
File: 281 KB, 400x600, dockquake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>256099
>it's not like an earthquake completely fucks shipping docks
Is that a fact?

>> No.256105

>>256102
>>256102
well alright. i was actually hoping to be corrected.

now how do these people plan on preventing that? anything short of living outside an earthquake area?

>> No.256107

earthquake strong enough to topple welded together containers (only 2 high) would certainly also fuck up most other "conventional" building methods.
I assume the containers are also attached to the floor slab in some fashion and also attached to the warehouse steel frame.
besides; "toppled over" =/= "completely destroyed"... just stack 'em back up and yer back in bidness.
if you were inside the container when it toppled over you'd most likely easily survive - except maybe if that hug dresser or water bed fell onto you - but same could happen in a conventional house.

>> No.256108

as for thermal/insulation... I've read they use a spray on ceramic coating that takes care of that; heat and cold... also in OP pic the super high ceilings would really help with heat dissipation and you would have some sort of ventilation system - how do they do it in a standard warehouse?

>> No.256111

I'm not particularly fond of container houses, but that design in the picture looks really damn cool to me

Having two opposing 'faces' of rooms and almost a courtyard in the middle.

Looks really interesting to me

>> No.256113

>>255566
Im just curious about why you need the containers. You can build a nice warehouse and then just divide it up pretty cheap. the whole point behind containers is they are Lego-like and you can use then as walls to a bigger structure. If you arent going to use them as the outside walls or as structural support why bother?

>> No.256112

40k for containers and delivery alone if you get a good deal

>> No.256115

notice the large rectangular shape in the lower center of the glass wall - its an overhead garage door. see also the tracks above it.
basically you have this on both ends and you've got plenty of cross ventilation.

>> No.256118

>>256113
true. but they certainly add to that "industrial" look.
I suppose you could build the same volumes out of wood then clad them in steel siding that looks similar to the siding on a container. would that be cheaper?

>> No.256119

>>256113
can't tell from the pic but perhaps the roof structure is supported by the containers.

>> No.256129

>>256119
Thats kinda what I was hoping. In which case that is awesome.

>> No.256130

>>256119

Given the angle they may also form the majority of the exterior walls.

>> No.256134

>>255566
Disclaimer: Not trolling.

I seriously don't understand why someone would willingly live in a shipping container. The ceiling is going to be low, isn't it? By the time you install studs and drywall, the interiors are going to be pretty small and the ceiling even lower, isn't it? I'm sitting here imagining it, and even with all the "comforts of home" installed in it, and furnished and ample lighting, it really doesn't seem like it would be even as cheerful and inviting as living in a double-wide trailer home, but not as portable. Honestly, if I put myself in that situation, it sounds like something you'd do to survive in some post-apocalyptic Earth scenario, right up there with living in a cave.

I really don't care about any claims of it being cheaper; don't use that as an explanation, and explain why you'd want to do this.

>> No.256137

>>256108
>>256108
-spray on insulation
why don't most newer homes just use this over conventional insulation?

-warehouse-lik high ceilings dissipate heat
i dont' know if its just california, but warehouses are terribly hot during the day and chilly at night.
i can bear the "cold" of california, but the day would be unbearable.

>> No.256140

>>256134
>>256134
i think the average inside height of a shipping container is nearly 8' (7'10"). The ceiling in the un-vaulted-ceiling areas of my house is at 8'.

i do see the point with the narrowed living quarters being unfun though. it must be quite cramping.

>> No.256165

>>256134
>>256140
I don't think they trim out the inside with full size 2X4s and drywall. height is roughly the same as "normal" rooms.
also if used as in OP, the container is the bedroom - one really doesn't need huge [wide] bedrooms - its just a place to sleep and change clothes. one would spend most the time in the open living area in the OP design.
looks like the side wall is removed on the lower container and it has a kitchen in it? or is that like a little library/study area. either way the main living area is the open space between the containers and the containers are used for smaller more intimate snug cozy spaces like bedroom, bath, study/den...

>> No.256174

>>256137
Because spray-on insulation is about 1" to 2" styrofoam and adds single digits R-value of insulation. You can get 12 to 40 R-value insulation with thick layers of fiberglass or cellulous insulation in a normal attic.

I can not fathom what is the attraction of these "container homes" except for a homeless person who gets one for free. Someone above quoted $4000 per container, and that's JUST A SHELL!! No insulation, interior walls, plumbing, wiring, ect. How can't you build the shell of a decent 320 square foot building for $4000? And that's for a one-container building; for a multiple-container, you would have the extra expense of removing walls you don't need.

This is a stupid hipster idea that went way too far. If my uncle had a pile of old shipping containers and told me "take as many as you want and use my crane and trucks to put them where ever you want" then yeah, I might try to make a house out of some. But not if I had to pay as much as normal building materials would cost.

>> No.256208

>>256174
>This is a stupid hipster idea that went way too far. If my uncle had a pile of old shipping containers and told me "take as many as you want and use my crane and trucks to put them where ever you want" then yeah, I might try to make a house out of some.
>But not if I had to pay as much as normal building materials would cost.

This.
Some interesting ideas in small-home construction or reused materials come from it, and that is interesting, but the broad idea is kinda crap.

Like OPs image. That is a large conventional steel-framed warehouse or work building with insulation, skylights and etc, with some containers wedged inside to act as rooms. Kinda clever, sure, but the shipping containers are now just expensive, heavy furniture. You could probably frame in fake containers cheaper and easier and more eco-friendly too.

Op, just work with a company to have a simple steel building built on your lot. Insulate to a high standard and enjoy. Heck, build one yourself, they have kits for that kinda thing. Break up the internal area with whatever you want.

>> No.256213

>>256208
>>256174
i wouldn't say it's hipster, but it is pretty hip. that's not to say it's any less impractical.

the draw is novelty; downright impractical, but novel. if i were gonna become homeless, i'd scrounge up what i can and build this shit somewhere free/unclaimed IF and only if the bin were free.

>> No.256237

for me:

i want a containerhome because it's part of a longer-term, larger structure. but i can drop a 40ft shipping container on a concrete slab and have a shell to call home instead of a roofless structure. i think the bit most people forget is you're going for this, in essence, because of it's prefab nature: drag n drop, done. pad out, live. these are getting waaaay overthought and overdone.

>> No.256245

>>256174
You can get these for a LOT less than 4k$..think closer to 1k$ and if you look hard enough and know the right folks you can get them from FEMA or off military use fully loaded for around 4k$. If you are resourceful you can get one on a trailer and drive it to where you need it. Or have it hauled by a rig. Most folks that are enamoured by these things have some sort of "in"

>> No.256301

Not necessarily convenient, but I love the style that it has. If I could make it look like OP's picture, by imitating the containers, I would.

>> No.256313

I wonder if you could bury these and make a bunker

>> No.256327

>>256313
The would collapse under the side load. They can only bear weight on the corners. Also, burying steel is ill advised.

>> No.256328

>>256313
short answer:
GHGHEJGEHHFDJHFDJH-NO

Longer answer:
While they seem like a huge armored box, a shipping container is not terribly strong when it comes to pressure along the sides and roof. They do not have to be strong there in their proper role because all the weight is on the strong metal frame at the edges, and they are built to very minimal standards, so there is no real reinforcement besides the slight corrugation of the metal to stiffen it.

The amount of work required to rust-proof, move, secure, reinforce, re-reinforce and make useable a shipping container will likely provide less then optimal results at a great cost in time, energy and materials.

Do this instead: http://www.survivalring.org/pdf/cw_shelterh121.pdf or something similar.

>>256245
having lived in the northeast within easy distance of Port Elizabeth (giant port in new jersey) I can say you can certainly pick up these containers for cheap.. unfortunately you are unlikely yo actually get one. The very worst and cheapest ones are sold off for scrap metal, the middling to moderate ones bought up by people with the resources to be a thousand times more connected then you.

Used pre-converted "shipping container" modules, whether from private businesses (sometimes used as on-site offices or bunkhouses) or from the armed forces can be great, if you can swing it. This is even more of a "its all who you know" situation and be sure to keep a lot of capital on hand to pounce on a deal if one comes up.

>> No.256337

Working on containers sucks balls too.

Steel isn't thick enough to be structural, apparently says the other guys.
Steel is still a bitch to drill through.

>> No.256443

>>256337
most common damage to a container is puncture by forklift
if a forklift and punck through that shit at low speed and bow it in i wouldnt bury it

>> No.256456

Seriously, yes container homes are cheaper. No they're not fucking so cheap any tard can basically shit out a free house.

You're still going to end up with a substantial building loan that's going to take years to pay off for a decent finished product.

>> No.256462

It has been said many times that you need, or at least it would be easier if you had, some connections to pick up a nice container for cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if there is/are 1-a few /diy/er(s) who have built or attempted something similar.
So does anyone here actually have some connections in the industry, or know where to pick up a nice container for under 2k or even less (<1k for instance)?
I am building a shed and am drawn by the novely and also by the diy challenge.

>> No.256901

>>256443
>>256328
>>256327
You guys keep saying this, and it makes sense and Im willing to believe it but I know guys, first hand, that have buried the 20' containers and have had them in the ground for more than 5 or 6 years now and you cant tell it at all from the inside. Im sure they are probably rusting away but they arent bowing or wet inside.

>> No.257127

bumping for a few mins on the first page.
and answer to:
>>256462

>> No.257131

About $85,000 less the cost of land, permits, and most materials and labor beyond the actual arrangement and securement.

>> No.257132

>>256328
Concrete in my area is like $128 a yard. To build something the size that op is talking about your talking about a minimum $50k in concrete, that's not including rebar, labor, or any of the other shit your going to need to make that place livable. Concrete might have been an affordable building supply once, but not any longer. This is why stable strong homes are no longer being built in America, it's all wood frames (metal studs are becoming popular) covered by the shittiest cheapest coverings you can find, throw a little insulation, paint and pretty metal anodized plastic fixtures into the mix and you've got happy customers. Right?

>> No.257296
File: 394 KB, 850x566, 1267779586754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dumping container homes

>> No.257297
File: 41 KB, 640x260, 1319952036467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257298
File: 566 KB, 1024x768, 1319953185038.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257300
File: 110 KB, 570x382, 1319966215335.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257301
File: 48 KB, 450x300, 1319998626818.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257302
File: 59 KB, 450x300, 1319998699037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257303
File: 119 KB, 522x380, 1319998456287.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257304
File: 107 KB, 570x436, 1319966112872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257308
File: 82 KB, 570x427, 1319966055574.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257309
File: 258 KB, 667x524, 1319998044427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257312
File: 48 KB, 600x450, 1320019359390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.257313
File: 200 KB, 886x854, container home sides.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>256100
depends on the layout. I found a brochure online that offered 4 different styles of windows essentially giant garage doors that you could open on both ends of the home.

I'm sure you could rig solar powered ventilation fans to circulate air also.

I heard shipping containers that are used for shipping cold items are ideal because of the insulation already installed.

>> No.257391

How much would one of these things cost? Just curious.

>> No.257397

>>257391
Are you retarded or something?

>> No.257407

architect (and engineer) here,

These things never work or are as cheap as advertised. Most of the time you can do cheaper form AAC blocks or stick framing. The thing in OPs pic is basically a Butler building with a glass wall and some containers in it. Most I have seen or read about cost 100k and up to build not including land. The number of containers not being the biggest cost factor, use a sqft costing system for your area, then at a factor for the non-standard construction methods you will need.

>>255975
What kind of fool would invest in a 50-100k project without professional consultation?
No one argues that you need a trained electrician or a skilled concrete worker, but when it comes to architects people just say "i can do it, fuck those guys".....

>>256008 we don't just design the interior or aesthetic shit man, there is a lot of value in knowing how buildings are built and project management, most of us have a couple yrs of engineering course work as well.

Just like most building professional, we save you time and money while keeping you form doing something stupid. (results will vary)

>>256174
you speak the truth, these are trendy but not ideal or economical building material/elements.

>>256208
teka, you hit the nail on the head.

In short: these are fine for simple shack buildings as seen in some of the above pics. I would advocate them for backyard projects you can do with one 20' container, but living in one is just pointless economically and structurally.

>> No.257461

>>256213
no, it's hipster. it's like a minimalistic trailer, only it's impractical compared to, say, a trailer.

>bias against living in a trailer
>lives in a box built for shipping cheap goods across the ocean

>> No.258161

These pictures are giving me an erection

>> No.258174
File: 32 KB, 468x328, Adam Kalkin Quick House 8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP exterior.

>> No.258188

>>258161
I had an erection way before I saw any of these pictures

>> No.258191

how much would it cost for a warehouse of similar size to the one in OPs pic?

>> No.258515

>>258161
These are hardcore porn for /diy/nosaurs.