[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1008 KB, 2448x3264, 5e0827fe86941f3594e612ecf2d742eb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2549455 No.2549455 [Reply] [Original]

So Anon, why don't you incorporate and make a website? Start scheduling work and not having your bosses skim off the top? If you are good at your job and have half a brain it's easier than you think.

> got tired of making my bosses money
> started my own gig, rough start but doing really well now
> make a lot more money and work less hours
>trade is polishing marble floors and general stone maintenance, booked 4-6 weeks in advanced without advertising after 5 years
> me and one employee
>pic unrelated

>> No.2549500

>why don't you work for yourself?

I do, thanks for asking.
t. farmer/rancher/mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder/heavy equipment operator

>> No.2549621

>>2549455
>loose all rights for gibs, pension, healthcare, overtime, paid tools, paid van, guaranteed pay in quiet periods
>would loose all jobs with money in it since thoose customers demand a big corporation behind it and 24/7 support
>all deals are corporate, they dont even consider one-man shows
but im considering starting alone and renting myself out for installation projects, wont be any more money in it but i wont have to deal with daily service calls, commuting and other bs. i just show up, work for 2-3 weeks then fuck off.

>> No.2549638

>>2549621
>lose all rights to XYZ

So, obviously, starting a business isn’t for everyone and it’s obviously situational. But this is a very misinformed decision, because the tax code is written to benefit business owners not employees.

If you’re making $120k a year doing oil rig work yeah don’t start your own oil company moron but if you’re making $30/hr as a plumber there’s nothing wrong with finding side work for $120-160/hr and starting your own business if you can sustain that.

Not only that, in many countries you pay into both the employer and employee portion of pension/social security so you’ll get something anyway. But yeah, if you were 30 years in a unionized gig with a pension and you had five more years to go to collect 60% of your annual wage for the rest of your life, maybe hold off on starting a business. But if you’re a painter, drywall, etc there’s nothing wrong, with being upside work to accelerate your business and making connections with local general contractors.

I run a small trade school in my home country where we teach them on western standards but have 3rd world labour laws. We train them to be okay enough to work for us and then help them immigrate over to our company once they’re trained.

>> No.2549640

>>2549621
To add on… “paid tools paid van” are actually a tax write off for your boss.

Your boss depending on whatever country you’re in is most likely driving a G Wagon completely written off as a “work van” while you’re safe and cozy in a 1990 GMC safari

>> No.2549642

>>2549621
>loose all rights for gibs, pension, healthcare
This only applies if you actually use these
t. not an injury addled poorfag

>> No.2549669

>>2549621
While you do lose some benefits, the freedom to choose how much you work, when to take vacation, sick leave, help a friend or family member out etc. is very nice.

Beyond this I buy whatever I need for my house as a company expense and save a lot of money, obviously I cant buy a new front door, but I can buy that door cash and then pay the tools I need to install it via the company. Eg. Just got a router and circle jig for building speakers, I will one day use it at work, maybe.

>> No.2549681

>>2549669
>when to take vacation, sick leave, help a friend or family member out etc.
You can do all of that with a normal job. In fact, it's actually easier to do that as an employee, because if you are running a one-man show and some shit has to get done tomorrow, you are doing it no matter what. There's no one to cover for you while you're on leave.
The benefit of working for yourself is that there's no bossberg demanding that you show up exactly at 08:00 and giving you shit if you're 5 minutes late.

>I buy whatever I need for my house as a company expense and save a lot of money
I mean that is a benefit, but it is also on the illegal side. Not unethical, just not risk-free.
The employee counterpart to that is to work for a big company that uses tons of equipment and materials. If you befriend the warehouse/disposal guys, you can take home all kinds of goodies. Just this past year, I've dragged home enough plywood to build a garage, in addition to tons of lumber, 300ft of 12 AWG wire, and misc furniture (e.g. metal shelves, etc.).

If you're feeling frisky, you can also just outright "appropriate" materials/tools/electronics, as long as they won't be missed. Is it unethical? Maybe, but if you look at the profit that some of these companies generate and how they try every trick to screw their employees, one could consider it a form of getting even.
>not responsible if some retard reads this and then gets arrested when he steals 1500ft of romex and takes it straight to the scrapyard, brand new in it's plastic wrap.

>> No.2549694

>>2549681
I typically end up using the tools I buy for the business in some round about way, like, I do all my own work on my vehicle (I enjoy it) fiscally its cheaper than paying a mechanic, so I do the work on my wifes car etc. At the end of the day its very easy to find a reason to buy tools, at least for me, since I use an insane variety of equipment that does require maintenance once in a while. Buying rolls of wire or wtv is not going to be possible to write off, however, in my field I meet so many other business owners I have the opportunity to do work for free in exchange for a skid of interlock pavers or wtv.

>one man show
Absolutely this is the challenge, you cant run a reputable well paying electrical company as one guy, nor a plumbing company. But in my field or others dealing with homeowners in the luxury field, its a lot easier on your own or with one helper, who when you take those spontaneous golfing trips, is happy to stay home as long as you pay them (I make enough to do this when I do have a helper).

>> No.2549859

>>2549669
so many (you)s so little time
let me just get a few of them.
here everything is laid out to protect employees and customers
>tax code benefit owners, boss get rich on my labour
not entirely true, tax on investments are different than tax on work. if owner also works he also pay income tax and he will pay monthly tax on his car if its bought via the company.
my last job i know for a fact several of us made more than the owner/boss could afford to give himself in wages during the best years. he runs a company to keep us busy and paid while leaving satisfied custumers, thats his number 1 priority and a legal obligation. his own pay comes last.
>make xxx/hour
i know i cost my current enomloyer 65€/hour, for them to even consider hiring me as an independent contractor on a regular basis i must charge less than that and then i must keep myself supplied with everything required to do the job and god knows what in expenses and i can forget about overtime. im looking at around the same as before after tax and expenses.
>tools and buying stuff for myself
already do that
i can swap into residential then i can chsrge full price myself. but you do know that include 5 years warranty? i front the cost of parts and supplies? i hold legal responsibilites for damages and delays? and work doesnt come by itself, might be 3h the week i want to work 50h the week i want to go fishing...
at the end i might charge 120€/hour but after all is accounted for im still not making more money per month.

had to google it, about 20% of all businesses in construction goes bankrupt every year here. thats rarely the big and heavy ones so its safe to assume its the smaller ones, its said that half of all one man startups are done because of tax/suppliers debt or warranty claims within the first year.
all because they think
>lol im my own boss
and dont know what that includes.

>> No.2549960

>>2549455
because I went to school for engineering and now make six figures working 40 hours a week or less.

>> No.2549979

>>2549455
Because it would be a pain in the ass.
I'm a satisfied boring little worker ant

>> No.2550244

>>2549621
You can claim tools and the van and the fuel you use for your van and many other things against tax as business expenses, meaning you can spend that money instead of paying it in tax.

You can also set up as a corporation or limited liability company and pay yourself as a salaried employee and pay into a pension scheme yourself or just pay into a Roth IRA or similar and also maybe avail of cheaper health insurance.

The only main downside is if you're not working there's no money coming in, so no paid time off or sick leave, but you can change that by making more money working for yourself and being wise with the money, having an emergency fund and also by hiring people if you structure it that they are paid by the job and not on a fixed salary.

>> No.2550269

>>2550244
Op here, basically this. But making so much more now than as a wagie it was worth it. I just save and invest my money and otherwise may my bills, mortgage etc.

Having a truck and gas paid for is great, my wife gets some wage too as my bookkeeper.

The big downside is there is no structure to pay, im not getting paid when Im seeing jobs, doing paperwork etc, its all salary, no relation to the money the company makes until the end of the year when I take a bonus. Still worth it for me of course. Cash jobs also pay for all my groceries and other misc toys.

>> No.2550274

>>2549455
I am an electrician and recently started for myself. Easily making 3x as much as I did when working for a boss.

I have work for the coming years booked. Currently doing construction work on 400 houses for a development company.

>> No.2550275

>>2549960
Any recommendations for someone who hasn't been to college yet?

>> No.2550305

>>2550244
you and i dont live under the same tax and business laws.
and you guys never mention how fucking much paperwork it involves, i have had economics at university level and did "small business school" (fuck translating it) not long ago, i kinda know this shit and it bugs me bc i really want the freedom, doing my own taxes and accounting is not freedom. thats unpaid work with nazi deadlines that will bite your head off if you do the smalles mistake.

>> No.2550584

>>2550275
go to college

>> No.2550595

>>2549455
I did it for about a decade but I really got sick of dealing with clients. Nice to not have to deal with people, nice to have stable and regular hours, nice to have all the benefits thrown in. All added up I make more money as employee than I ever did self employed, health, dental, vacation, sick leave, retirement plan, employer matching and contributions to retirement plan, not having to buy any tools/equipment/materials, etc.

>> No.2550598

>>2550584
And the loans?

>> No.2550645

>>2549455
Which seems easier:
>take on a half milly or more in debt to open your own business so you can be the boss
Or
>work for an established company and make the same money or more without any of the assaches involved with running a business

>> No.2550653

>>2550598
pay them? what do you normally do about loans?
I don't know your situation. but I went to school on scholarship and only took out one loan of $3500 (a necessity due to some complications with the scholarship money going through my second semester) which I had no problem paying back shortly after graduating. I could've paid it back sooner, but it was a subsidized loan meaning no interest was accruing.
it's probably best to start at community college if you don't have a scholarship.

depending on how old you are, you may already have been working for several years, in which case you should have plenty saved up for a state school. once you're in school, you should focus on networking and making as many connections as you can, with classmates, professors, go to job fairs, do internships, just constantly meet people. networking and internships are the most important thing by far, a degree alone (even in STEM) isn't worth much anymore. even entry level positions mostly demand 3-5 years experience, and rest assured they get applicants with those qualifications. DO NOT graduate without a job lined up. I repeat, DO NOT graduate without a job lined up. take another semester of electives if you have to.

>> No.2550657

>>2550653
>pay them? what do you normally do about loans?
I just don't take any. Last time I checked, federal rates were ~7%. That's shit's terrifying. I read nothing but bad news about college and the lack of jobs coming out. I didn't want to put myself at risk like that when I was in HS.
When I asked my teachers how they dealt with their college loan debt, they reacted like I asked them to point out a Mafioso. Huge weight on their minds. Multiple were working theirs off, one had her husband pay it for her, and the oldest one refused to talk about it.

In my case, I've never had a job (my family was worried for my safety), and the recent market failures have ruined my plans to do things from scratch at home.

GED, but scored well on the PSAT and was dragged around the country by mobile family following that for a few years. In my early 20s. Haven't the slightest clue about anything, and I don't know where to get any sort of reliable grounding. Ready to just hunker down as an eternal NEET.

>> No.2550680
File: 309 KB, 1000x1343, 67A2ADB3-ED2A-4CC6-AEC6-E43A659DC31B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2549455
I do, at 22. I went to a 20 month college program for a bachelor's in computer science. I worked for a subcontractor of a large aerospace company. It was nice because I was making $75k starting and $90k after I left. The whole time I was building my sticker website and now I'm buying a local print shop for $40k. T-shirts, signage, stickers, and vinyl. God has blessed me to do great things with this opportunity and I just recently closed on the deal. Already have a ton of orders lined up with local businesses, just finishing clearing up shop.

>> No.2550682

>>2550680
>inb4 buy a house first
I mortgaged a condo in 2020 for $190k, now valued at $275k and have two of my colleagues as renters. I live with my gf of 4 years and soon to be wife.

>> No.2550693

>>2549455

Or gets trade and when you get bored with the job or your boss is a fuckhead, you move to another job

>> No.2550708

>>2550680
>God has blessed me to do great things with this opportunity
literally kys

>> No.2550726

>>2550657
>the oldest one refused to talk about it
probably because they paid it off in a week
tuition was pretty cheap up until 20 years ago

>> No.2550727

>>2550657
Also I spent maybe $25k on my technologist education and I'm earning over $100k a year now, I think that was a good investment

>> No.2550750
File: 121 KB, 627x782, 1454713411283.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2549455
Any experience with making the jump and getting clients? I'm fully licensed with pest control and work for a medium sized company. I would be interested in a few jobs on the side for extra pocket money, but I have no idea how to put myself out there.

>> No.2550760

>>2549960
this. I went the trade to engineer pipeline. Better pay and better working conditions with the option of going back on the tools if needed

>> No.2550778

>>2550750
For starters youll need to get an idea of how saturated your market is. Im in a niche field that is 90% word of mouth. In your line of work, I suspect its going to come down to a good website, money invested in SEO and google ads and a shit ton of posting on social media etc. You need to be one of the top hits when people google your keywords (you can research the best keywords). It will take a few years to build enough of a client base that they are sending your name around to friends, so early on establish yourself online. Make sure you sort out your safety protocols and insurance, and weigh the pros and cons of incorporating vs sole proprietorship.

It took me about 5 years before I stopped touching my website, social media etc since I dont need external customers anymore.

>> No.2550780

>>2549638
In my state its a nightmare to get licensed. The unions legit write the licensing laws 50 years ago.

Most companies now a days couldnt survive the onslaught they have made...ie Pulling up the economic ladder. So I left being a electrician. It took me 7 years to realized how fucking crazy it is. I would need 3 more years and 4 years of state required education to get my license. For what 80k a year once taxs and such are done. I would rather get some tech certs. before finishing my A+ i got a 60k a year job. I make as much as a foreman without all the weather and shit hours. 2 hours often a day driving...always having to spend an hour to shower after a 10 hour day. Been too tired for anything after work. The trades are a fucking nightmare. I went through the BAC 4 and IBEW 41 before I realized what a fucking nightmare it all is.

Leave the trades.

>> No.2550782

>>2550645
>half milly in debt

Depends on the field, I invested:
>5k downpayment on a truck (ford transit)
>10k in tools and material
>10k saved as float money to hold me over if work was slow

I think a half million would be a stretch unless you needed some heavy equipment or rent a storage unit etc.

>> No.2550783

>>2550708
God loves you.

>> No.2550791

>>2550783
>God loves you.

There is absolutely no evidence of this in the history of mankind, except what lying liars have said.

>> No.2550792

>>2550791
He could have aborted you but he didn't

>> No.2550795
File: 12 KB, 318x239, 1592262061-trans-15.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2550791
There was that one time he came down and told us.

>> No.2550796

>>2550795
4chan, 50/50 chance every thread will have a religious nut or a pedo show up. I prefer the religious nuts, but still.

>> No.2550798

>>2550796
We could not make the shroud of Turin today no matter how much money you paid the greatest expert on it to try and copy it. There has never been such a phenomena on any other burial garment.

>> No.2550800

>>2550798
Nobody cares

>>>/x/

>> No.2550805

>>2550800
No, you've been brainwashed to hate the truth you see everyday with your eyes by open Satanists that took over our education system.

There is nothing that matters more in your life than this

>> No.2550811 [DELETED] 

leme tell u i dont corporate and do a nigger webstie, well for starters my skin is black and as a nigger i instnantly have -100 iq, and u see that also means i am the ugliest nigger ever, well all niggers are ugly, which is instead of all that i resort to raping and killing and strealing and drugging other niggers, i hate niggers kys

>> No.2550815

>>2550795
Then after 400 years of playing telephone, we finally decided to write the account of it down in a series of books purple monkey dishwasher.

>> No.2550826

>>2550815
This doesn't even make sense anon. It was called a letter to the Roman's because it was a letter. They listed names of people popular at the time in Rome. They talked about popular Roman fashion. You think the council of nicea are such good liars that they know this minutiae about Rome 300 years before?

You think everyone was just so down bad for the possibility of religious grift in 1500 years that they preached until they were executed?

>> No.2551628

>>2549455
Mechanic work for relative commercial rental is prohibitively expensive and so is insurance.

>> No.2551656

>>2550780
You sound like a pussy with zero connections

>> No.2551662

>>2549455
I am currently working out of my bosses van with his tools. He also still has a lot to teach me so I humbly comply. Also i have a lot of negatives on my official record so using his name helps me get through some major hurdles. Thanks for asking.

>> No.2551668

>>2551662
that's how I got started. Had to do my time learning and being his gopher, but I learned enough to establish my own business after 3-4 years.

>> No.2553877

>>2551656
electrical work is the most pozzed of all trades. shit pay, a decade before you're fully certified, heavily oversaturated, and the least opportunity for self-employment

>> No.2553883
File: 965 KB, 200x150, 1671739827936223.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2551656
Dude I work two remote jobs from home resetting passwords and routers and other small busy work. I make 140k to reset passwords and routers....Let that set in you fucking mogged fool. Dig that trench for that schedule 80 you fucking slave.

>> No.2554343

>>2550274
living in OC California, why is it so damn difficult to get into being an electrician?

>> No.2554449

>>2550275
age and location? No homo

>> No.2554667

>>2549455
I used to freelance as an embedded systems engineer. I started my career with it straight out of college (CS grad). I used to work 2 hours a day. I didn't charge much (just charged what felt right). I had tons of free time to experiment and make cool shit but i still earned more than most of my peers.
One of my clients offered to double my monthly fee if i started working for him and i took the offer.
I now work 8 hours a day. It's not worth it bros. No job is ever worth it. A salary is a drug. I'll get the fuck out of here as soon as the work becomes monotonous.
The boss is a nice guy tho

>>2549621
You don't need pension, insurance or any gibs. If you're half competent at WHATEVER you do, you'll do well enough financially without that stuff. You seriously overestimate the intelligence and abilities of the average joe who works a job

>> No.2554729

>>2549455
The State has a monopoly on violence

>> No.2555403
File: 667 KB, 2048x1536, Photo1828.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2549455
because i can't drive and like the lack of responsibility/planning that comes with just ebing a bottom of the ladder, make-stuff-in-workshop guy.

>> No.2555476

>>2549455
Needless to say it's worth it for the tax benefits alone, especially if you're a dab hand at forging legal insurance documents kek.
Yet just know that unless you're legal savvy at reading fine print and jargon, the big fish on occasion will walk all over you and take you for a ride with non payment.
However just know that threats of violence and if necessary violence are a changer of hearts, as equally are small claims courts given time.

To say nothing of the freedom alone to bail out of a sinking ship, and not feel compelled to go down with it is worth it in its entirety.
Not to mention nipping off early to the pub, without being tracked is exceedingly based in its own right.
Indeed some of my best earners and job experiences, have been from when I was doing plant room fit outs as my own boss.
Yet don't think you need a fancy van through, a shitbox loaded to the roof will suffice.
Given that most materials can be delivered straight to the site anyway.

Whilst the lack of job security and high startup with tool purchases isn't for everyone, I implore every tradesman to at least try it once.
As even if it all comes crashing down in flames with no survivors, you will still walk away with invaluable business and tax acumen lessons that not even the most prestigious universities on earth can teach.

>> No.2557727

>>2549455

I do work in cyber security self employed, in specific formal verification :)

Absolutely no regrets. Started during university just for fun, unexpectedly made some money and just kept doing it.

I think I am however ready for a second 'job' - or more of a sacred mission. It's the development of a GPT-J based finetuned language model which will be used for social media anti coomer and anti porn campaigns :)

>> No.2557748

>>2550780
Fuck unions with a rusty pipe. I've spent most of my diy time fixing bullshit done by union plumbers and electricians. Professionally, all of the union members I had to interact with were borderline retarded and so lazy that I'm surprised they gave a shit whether their hearts kept beating.

>> No.2557868

>>2549640
it's good to be the king.

>> No.2557871

>>2550244
>meaning you can spend that money instead of paying it in tax.
if you write off $1000 in tools, you don't deduct $1000 from your tax bill, you deduct $1000 from your taxable income.

>> No.2557890

>>2550680
>20 month college program for a bachelor's in computer science
what?

>> No.2557891

>>2557727
more details? im nearing graduating as a cs grad, but don't really wanna code all day and would love to be self employed in tech.

>> No.2557892

>>2549455
more guys should do this. man in a van types are always valuable and will never want for work. so long as you can do your books well, or pay a bookkeeper you're golden.

i work for an hvac company rn but i'd like to work for myself. just need to poach someone to work with me.

>> No.2558118

>>2557871
>if you write off $1000 in tools, you don't deduct $1000 from your tax bill, you deduct $1000 from your taxable income.

Yes that is true. But if you spend enough on parts/tools/repairs and other expenses it very much will decrease the amount of tax you pay to the worthless government. Would you rather surround yourself with upgraded equipment and tools or give Uncle Sam a couple more grand in taxes?

>> No.2558216

>>2558118
Tools are a consumable so you’re not keeping the money either. The scam of having your own business is that you’ll be doing all the work, you don’t own anything and you can’t pay yourself.

>> No.2558354

>>2549455
Because I only have skills in buying and selling millwork and home remodeling shit through various mom and pops and corporate gigs. I fear I'm doomed to end up a normie hot shot OSR with a red sports car at age 45 peddling the latest memes. I have a few carpenter installers I keep on touch with so maybe someday we can start our own gig together, but as it stands I feel like my skills are limited to being utilized only be existing infrastructure.

>> No.2559071

>>2549455

>15% SET
>no benefits
>dry seasons
>must purchase insurance
>you get hurt, no income
>must purchase all your own tools/equipment
>clients suck
>low pay

There are tons of perks like working when you want and good income if your in a good trade but trades def wear/tear your body.

>> No.2559093

>>2550792
You need to read Ecclesiastes more closely.

>> No.2559198

>>2550584
What if he doesn't want to become a transsexual?

>> No.2559202

>>2550815
>we
Are you jewish?

>> No.2559337

So, I actually did go out on my own about a year ago.

I was an engineer at a pharmaceutical plant making $150k plus awesome benefits, 5 weeks paid vacation, profit sharing, and large company retirement match.

My first year in the trade as an apprentice was $14k. It cost me money to work after paying for my own transportation, healthcare for family, tools, insurance, and licensing. And I was working 50-60 hrs per week, plus lining up clients, and doing sooo many fucking things I had admins do as a corporate drone.

This year, I’m not sure I’ll make any more. Especially with housing market how it is.

Im giving it three years. If I’m not near what I was making as an engineer, I’m going back to corporate drone work.

>> No.2559525

>>2550783
god is a disgusting fat nigger that jerks off into his cumbox every time you believe a word he says.

>> No.2559529

>>2555403
>can't drive
why not

>> No.2559796

>>2559529
Severe mental incapacitation due to extreme anal trauma. Very tragic

>> No.2559825

>>2549455
I started a flooring business a little over a year ago. At first it was very barebones, minimal equipment and tools, no employees and working out of my garage with a virtual office address. Now I have two employees and an office with warehouse, forklift with plenty of tools and equipment. I put in a lot of hours but it's paying off.

>> No.2559849

>>2559337

You had a cushy job, making six figures and living like a fat cat and you gave it up to larp as a tradie?
I hope your wife's boyfriend got so fed up he left you both. What are you smoking

>> No.2560070

I've been a welder for a week now. I reckon it's still a bit early to cut out and run my own business. I've been in school for it for the past half year but only started working now

>> No.2560094

>>2549621
Who gives a Shit about government handouts when you could just buy those things yourself.

>> No.2560098

>>2560094
you aren't going to get them being some shitty inexperienced contractor out of your van lol

>> No.2560109

>>2559849
I get it.

All I can say is that, at the time at least, the bullshit I was putting up with seemed insurmountable.

>> No.2560961

>>2549455
I do but I spend more money on my business than I make.

>> No.2561447

>>2549455
Legal liabilities, cash flow issues, upfront cost, insurance.
If I had 10k, spend 5k on equipment, 1k on advertising, was owed 2k from jobs i already finished and had to spend $500 recovering a 2k dispute bill Id be $500 in debt within a week.

The phrase "aged receivables" makes any small business owner angry, because your time is worth more than the clients debt recovery is diminishing returns and many boshy clients will try to avoid paying even if you've done the work that very morning and they're standing right in front of you.

Then you've got issues relating to being a sole trader, your house and car could be seized to pay business debts, if you ran over a Jewish kid they might sue your business then claim your personal assets.

>> No.2561468
File: 8 KB, 225x224, download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2549455
I work for a company that does commercial and industrial low voltage wiring. Ethernet, industrial automation, security cameras, door controllers, VOIP phones, etc. We do not do residential stuff.

I did a job for an industrial client where we wired a new manufacturing facility from the ground up. Networking, video security system, and a few door controllers. They requested that each type of network use different color cables. Okay, weird, but sure. We ordered cables in several different colors. Generally we only have blue and gray. They wanted a color for computers, phones, security, doors, and a few more for the different types of machines they were operating. We had to special order cable and it cost a bit more. They had me run hundred of drops as well as setup a rack and patch panel for them. This project took weeks and thousands of feet of cable. We gave them cost estimates every step of the way and finished on time and under budget.

When it came time to sign off of it they challenged EVERYTHING on the invoice, line by line. We told them up front that cable in other colors would cost a bit extra because no one locally carried it and we'd have to order some. They sign off on it. We billed them for that exact amount and they challenged it. They said 'We were billed less for these blue and gray cables. Why can't we get that rate for everything?' 'Because those cables cost us less.' 'Why was some many feet of cable used?' 'Why were so many wall jacks used?' 'Can you lower the price on these?' Every fucking thing was like that. We ended up sending them to collections. One of the owners actually showed to our company Christmas party to badger our project manager for a lower price. I remember them having a screaming match in front of the office where the guy kept yelling 'What do we have to do to get this to go away??' and our manager just saying over and over again 'pay the bill, pay the bill, pay the bill'.

>> No.2561471

>>2561468
Long story short, they got caught out by COVID-19. They started the project right as everyone was going into lockdown and the business was running well into the red when the bill came. They did recover, and even paid the bill, but this little tantrum (plus other bullshit the pulled at the same time) did not go over well with the locals. You live in a small town and shit like that gets around.

Another fun story. We setup a law office. New workstations, a server with a few VMs, firewall, wiring, phones, migration of the old data, some P2V of the older servers, a backup system, the works. We sent the invoice and the guy said 'I won't be paying it'. No excuses either. Just 'Nah, not paying it. What are you gonna do? Sue me?' The absolute balls on that guy. We didn't bother sending him to collections. We waited about 4 month and, when he still refused to pay, we remoted into his network and encrypted everything. Not a crypto virus or shit like that. Total drive encryption for the computers and revoking of the licneses for the firewall, phones and backup system. They rolled up on Monday and everything went to a boot screen with a password. No phones, no internet, no backups, nothing. Long story short he sued us but didn't have a leg to stand on. We countersued and he settled, as his business was going down the shitter without access to most of his company data.

Sounds great, stick it to the asshole and all that but the aggravation of shit like that. My boss drives a Porsche but he also has an ulcer and is prematurely gray. No thanks. I make enough money that I can buy all the toys I want and not have to deal with these fuckheads.

>> No.2562019

>>2559198
still go to college. when are you retards going to understand the internet isn't real life? nobody's taking mandatory tranny classes or some shit you fucking idiot. you can go to school for STEM and never once hear the word "gender", like I did. I bet you think "feminist gender dance theory" is an actual major too.

>> No.2562067

>>2562019
When did you go to coege, 1989? It was horrible in 2002 when I started

They were keeping the tranny shit quiet but the indoctrination was deep and in everything. My physics teacher wouldn't shut up about hoe much he hated Bush with his basic bitch takes.

Which I can appreciate hating Bush, but he was just repeating whatever NPR told him to that day.

>> No.2562087

>>2549455
I'm watching my older brother and dad work their bodies into dust.
I'll stick with my desk job and stay diy at home.

>> No.2562261
File: 41 KB, 293x280, 1674681464439110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2549455
Because I'm a bookpilled degreecel with no marketable skills that would enable me to do independent work. I just come here to imagine what it would be like to be useful

>> No.2562294

>>2562067
>It was horrible in 2002 when I started
Same for me in the same year. The required humanities classes were all 100% pozzed.

>> No.2562317

>>2562087
Have to pick the right trade. I started as a tile setter, moved to natural stone slabs, then fabrication before realizing its killing me and started learning restoration work. Its pretty easy, the machines do all the work for the most part.

>> No.2562431
File: 172 KB, 720x1280, IMG_20220811_162603_382.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2549455
Currently starting up an apiary with a friend. We started small last year with only 5 hives had a rough start. Pushed them to 40 then lost 15 due to winter some bred drones too early some of them murdered each other over food. Stupid mistakes. But we are back on track with 25 hives which are already filled to the brim with our buzzy bros.
If God wills it we will bumb the numbers up to 200 hives this year and I will probably quit my job next year to go full time into this trade
I was a carpenter before this so I am building everything myself which is why we can make such huge jumps in hive number since I am good with my local lumber trader and get cheap material

>> No.2562450

>>2562431
Good job fren. Selling the honey is just the tip of the iceberg. You can make and sell all kinds of overpriced meme artifacts made from honey and wax. A friend of mine got cedar shavings from a mill and made aromatic beeswax fire starters that sold for $10 for a little bag of nugget sized starters. They also sold plain blocks of beeswax as wood conditioner. I think his wife made candles from the wax. My wife makes soap with a little raw honey and quaker oats. It sells for $10 a bar.

>> No.2562870

>>2562450
Sounds great mate! We are thinking about selling our surplus bees and maybe a line of queens next year! For now we will stick to a big time honey and beekeeping supply trader we are friendly with

>> No.2563134

>>2550680
Great job, man. That sounds awesome! Happy for you, God bless.

>> No.2563426

>>2562261
Just get really good with certain tools. If there's something around the house you do well or a hobby you excel at, you can sell that service. Dip into some gig work for s&gs and you'll see what I mean.

>> No.2563433

>>2549455
I had to go out on my own as a chippy. I couldn't afford my vehicle and wasn't developing skills under other carpenters or GCs. On the framing crew, his #1 guy and foreman grew up together. They were probably going on two decades of working together. He was earning $17/hr. On the remodeling crews I was making a dollar more than the kids fresh out of high school. This is partially my fault in negotiating, but there was an unnecessary disdain from one employer. It was probably the morning meetings and his person popularity contest way of running the show vs actually keeping tabs on what work gets done by who.
I do mostly kitchens now and other subwork. I can take on a wide variety of projects though and safely undercut a larger outfit like I used to work on. For the customers that can afford two to four guys half assing 50/hr days will eventually get a nice outcome at easily 4x the cost minimum.

>> No.2563649

>>2549621
Why would you lose rights to gibs? You get to set your own income from your company, so you can always stay under the poverty line.

>> No.2563650

>>2549640
Totally wrong.

It’s a 1996 Ford E-150

>> No.2563677

>>2549640
Do you understand how write offs work? You've never started your own business have you?

>> No.2563694

>>2563426
Thanks for the encouragement, fren.

>> No.2564669

I cant afford the overhead right now but im working on it

>> No.2564671

>>2563677
what is wrong about what he said?

>> No.2564806

>>2564671
He farted in my mouth when he said it. He told me to close my eyes and just trust him. I did and when my eyes were closed he got a ladder and climbed it then farted, with shart spray, in my mouth and nose. When I opened my eyes all I saw was a turtle head straining to get out. He is so disgusting and jewish. I can’t believe after all the /pol/ memes, I trusted a rabbi heavily involved with an assortment of NGO’s all working towards promoting mass migrations, deconstructing international boarders and sending massive barges filled with Africans towards any country with more than one white person in it. God I feel so stupid and cucked

>> No.2564847
File: 184 KB, 506x781, irs publication 463.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2564671

>> No.2564852

>>2557892
if you're in michigan i'm your guy

>> No.2564859

>>2564847
This doesnt disqualify g wagons

>> No.2564882

>>2564859
The $27k deduction limit would apply to g wagons

>> No.2564900

>>2564882
There are limits to every deduction you can name, smart guy

>> No.2564908

>>2564900
Yes but the limit for work only vehicles is over 1 million

So to say a g wagon is completed written off is completely wrong

>> No.2564913

>>2564908
Not really
People dont generally qualify their tax write offs as
>written off to the maxium legally allowed amount
Because that would be retarded

>> No.2564933

>>2564913
What is retarded is to say something is completely written off when it's not completely written off

>> No.2564939

>>2564933
Nothing is ever completely written off according to your own personal autistic definition

>> No.2565111

>>2561468
>>2561471
>I work for a company that does commercial and industrial low voltage wiring.
>some customers don't pay
>boss is prematurely gray
I just started such a company and yeah, I see where he's coming from. I wish I had customers. Been driving all over the place, chatting up business owners - some of whom had awful wiring or were currently looking into finding someone to wire the place. Everyone seemed happy to see me and friendly, but I haven't heard back from anyone.

>> No.2565358

Because im still an apprentice but i should be finished by Christmas and have a foot in the door with a few possible customers to do some contacting after hours

>> No.2565510

learn your fucking books boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHMdxk6Af8c

if you can read a balance sheet and p&l you're ahead of 90% of other guys. and probably ahead of 80% of small companies.

>> No.2565664

>>2549500

Pffft, I bet you think doing a load of laundry counts as a busy day too, you little bitch

>> No.2565738

>>2550657
Join the military. Go with whichever branch will put the specific job in your contract.
Come out at the end of your 4 years with work experience, qualifications, and money in the bank. Or decide to stick around for the full 20 years, and get a lifetime pension + medical care.

https://usarmybasic.com/army-jobs/army-mos-list

>> No.2565784

>>2549455
I have been a farmer, logger, miner and a machinist. I even have my own small machine shop
I have failed at everything mostly because of my total lack of social skills

>> No.2565831

I might be starting a company with a handful of people soon. I've been working in film and entertainment in a few capacities for the last decade, and I've learned how to fix and maintain a lot of electrical, vehicular, audio and video equipment. Some of the guys I work with pretty regularly are thinking of grabbing a small coach bus or two and basically providing all-in-one transport/office/AV-editing vehicles - like an AV truck, but for the clients. It's not a unique idea by any means, but it doesn't really exist here. We'd just need to maintain an average of three shoot-days a week to break $200k each minus expenses per year while still undercutting any potential competition.

>> No.2565933

>>2565510
if i was young i would get into accounting/finance and team up with tradies to build companies. seems like such an easy way to make money right now.

>> No.2566368

I'm a trainman and don't yet have the fortune to build my own railroad
they pay me well at least

>> No.2566431

>>2565784
Can you share more? How/why did each business fail? More detail the better. What would you do differently now?

>> No.2566441

>>2565784
I know this feel.

>> No.2566451

>>2565738
>working for the tranny brigade
Also you should update your recruitment shtick because the 20 year and retire option for pension is no longer available to anyone who wasn't already in as of several years ago.

>> No.2566971

>>2549642
You will eventually age and have use for those things. Enjoy your youth.

>> No.2566993

>>2566368
pull yourself up by your overalls mr conductor if vanderbilt could do it, you can too!

>> No.2567112

I grinded my ass off getting all the tools I need to go on my own. I'm the most talented guy on the crew and always get tasked with the hard shit or shit that needs to be perfect, so I know I'm good. I hate putting myself out there on the internet though. I put an ad up for a couple days but took it down because I'm a sperg. finish carpentry is my specialty but I can do most anything. I think I "bought the top" of perfecting my craft and investing in all the tools because when I check the local ads there's a bunch of carpenters whoring themselves out when last year you couldn't find anyone to do anything. I think I'm just gonna make Etsy shit, idk what to do. I guess I can keep working for me. Shekelberg but now everyone is using my tools and I don't wanna load unload the truck everyday, not that it would stop them from abusing my shit.

>> No.2567156

>>2549455
It's hard to find a niche that pays and most guys in vans are always struggling. Lead generation is what most of your expenses are going to be unless you are literally the only guy available (In a big enough metro there are other guys).

>> No.2567454

>>2567156
Doing excellent work = never paying a dime for advertising. It took me ~ 4 years to get to that point.

t. one guy, a van

>> No.2567457

>>2567454
How do they know you? Connections or previous job?

>> No.2567463

>>2565784
You need customers that are looking for results. Just advertise and deliver perfection.

>> No.2567900
File: 543 KB, 2410x2400, 1676935373104441.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>you WILL monetize everything about your life
>how much MONEY are you making
>start a side hustle
>get on that grind
>everyone wants to fuck you over

>> No.2568585

>>2566431
>>2567463
I started farming at my grandpa's farm and we couldn't get along at all. There was also the issue of who would inherit the farm and in the end he gave it to my cousins
I started working in the woods for other people, then I bought some chainsaws and a truck and started on my own. I did this for 3 years and I've always struggled finding wood lots to buy and to sell the firewood. I've always been upfront and honest with the people I dealt with but somehow nobody trusts me. Most people in this line of work are ogres that are extremely dishonest and they do just fine
Then I worked in a gold/lead/zinc mine for 3 years but that was for wage, I gave up when they started cutting the wages and because mostly everyone working in a mine is a villain from a western movie
With the money from the mine I bought machines and tools and started machining and I also worked for a year as a machinist/toolmaker in a sheet metal factory. I was into machining since I was 15yo but never had the means to start it. I tried convincing my parents to buy me a lathe from a retired uncle but they didn't take me seriously back then
Now I quit the job because of the low pay and the owner was being a dick and I'm sitting on my ass in my workshop with nothing to do. Same situation as logging: people prefer to go to other shops that have been doing this for a longer time than me
I think that I don't leave a good impression on people even tho I've been good at all the things I've done so far. They don't take me seriously enough