[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.98 MB, 1502x1014, Sink.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2549452 No.2549452 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, folks. I'm trying to remove and replace the faucet from my bathroom sink. It's old as hell and needs to go.

The top part has no screws or attachments that I can see. If I twist it, it moves a very small amount, but otherwise there is no give. I've put a lot of weight on it trying to see if I can simply spin the thing off, but no luck.

Underneath there is what appears to be a copper screw and a nut above it. The square thing (that had the water connections on it) spins a small amount but doesn't seem to impact if the faucet comes off or not.

I hit the area with some vinegar in an attempt to remove some corrosion. I've done everything I can to deal with the screw, but the metal is simply chipping away and it's not coming undone.

As for the nut at the top, I have no idea how I could even reach it, there's at most a half inch of space on either side and none of my tools can reach.

If there's no way to get that screw out, I'm wondering how best to simply cut it out. Angle grinder maybe? Any help is appreciated.

>> No.2549453
File: 40 KB, 1200x1200, 91958_W3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Use big channel locks or find/buy a basin wrench.

>> No.2549456

>>2549453
to clarify, it's that shallow brass hex nut up against the porcelain. You take that off and the faucet lifts out. If you can't get that water fitting off, get some snips up there or a hacksaw and cut it off. You're replacing the faucet right? fuck it.

>> No.2549457

You smash the godawful sink off the wall and replace the whole thing

>> No.2549460

>>2549456
Thanks for the info. The copper screw at the bottom is a red herring then?

>> No.2549462

>>2549452
Remove the two nuts at the water connection, then remove large nut at the top. Either get a basin wrench or use a large adjustable wrench to work the nut loose.

>> No.2549464

>>2549462
The things on the side of the water connection don't seem to be nuts, it feels like they're a part of it. I'll try again though.

I have an adjustable wrench but it's too big to fit in the space. Basin wrench it is.

>> No.2549531

>>2549464
Alternative, if you can jam a pry bar or large flat screwdriver against the nut, try holding the nut still and wiggling the facuet to break it loose.