[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 67 KB, 478x529, necklolololollol..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
250150 No.250150 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/ I just purchased my first kit, but before it arrives I'd like to have the tools to be able to put it together myself. It's already colored as well. Thank you in advance for any information.

>> No.250172

What kind of kit are we talking about, anon? Resin? Injection molded plastic? Vinyl? Is it a figure, a mecha, a car, a boat, what? And what do you mean by "colored?"

>> No.250198

>>250172
Mecha, and plastic. It doesn't need markers.

>> No.250616

>>250198

You'll need something to cut the parts from the sprues. I use diaqs (diagonal pliers, they have a nice sharp cutting edge) or if you have them laying around the house, there are diaq-like pedicure tools that have the same function and are nice and sharp. Be careful cutting the parts from the sprues because you'll leave big ugly marks all over the kit (assuming you're not going to paint it).

You'll need a hobby knife/Xacto knife for additional cleanup. You'll need some type of glue to glue the parts together, because even if they snap together they don't always have the best hold.

Those are the basics. If you were going to paint I'd say get sandpaper, paint (obviously), primer, etc.

>> No.250657

>>250616

Using good pliers is essential, or you'll risk getting "twistoff" or whatever it's called in English.
Here's a pretty basic guide: http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/construction/removing-parts-sprue/

Which mecha are you building, OP? I'm mainly a WW2 armour builder. Flakvierling (AA gun) at the moment.

>> No.250669
File: 802 KB, 540x4845, 1312049983833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>250150
Be very very careful anon...this little pic set details the dangers involved with modeling...

I wish you the best of luck!

>> No.250736

>>250657
>you'll risk getting "twistoff" or whatever it's called in English.

Please describe this phenomenon. I don't know what "twistoff" is. A description would be helpful.

>> No.250744

>>250736
You end up twisting off a chunk of the models' piece while twisting it off the sprue it sucks and it looks horrendous

>> No.250774

>>250744
I've never had that issue. I guess I just take more care than some.

>> No.250780

>>250150

I tought it said &quottalented /diy/erquot; as in: "Hi /diy/ I just purchased my firsttalented /diy/er#44; but before it arrives I'd like to have the tools to be able to put it together myself. It's already colored as well. Thank you in advance for any information."