[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 175 KB, 442x550, Head-Shrug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
247360 No.247360[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I hate to be that guy, but what are some solid ways a 16 year old with no job make some cash. I keep trying to get jobs, but I need some things to do while waiting to get rejected again.

>> No.247366

Do you know how our econmic system works?

>> No.247368

Steal things. Sell them.

>> No.247380

Grow zucchini.

It's piss-easy and you'll have something to snack on after it's done.

>> No.247491

Make a garden, sell your plants at a farmer's market or flea market.

Learn what things are worth and sell your old shit or other people's old shit from thrift stores or yard sales.

Learn about internet marketing.

Participate in crowd sourcing sites (mturk, 99designs, etc)

Start blogging about a topic you're very passionate about. If you're smart(and you're probably not if you're this clueless) or funny might be able to get attention.

If you have a hobby you're good at there's probably a way to squeeze some money out of it.

>> No.247493

yard-work.

>> No.247494

I like how you've figured out how to get around that Vage b& shittalented /diy/er

>> No.247507

>>247380
>>247491
>>247493
>these.

>> No.247563

There's always humanity's first profession to fall back on: Good old prostitution.

What, that's too low for you? Fucking kids these days, thinking they're too good for a job just because you have to get dirty doing it...

>> No.247567

>>247563

Like anyone's going to pay for my rectum.

>>247360

Make bug out bags, advertise with conspiracy theories, Mayan calendar and general paranoia.

>> No.247773

If you have any marketable skills, you could always fall back on those.

Computer repair is one of those talents that a lot of people don't commonly have, in addition to Google-fu to figure out what's wrong with a computer they already have. It's a gift that keeps on giving, what with the growing number of people that actually have laptops and such, and you can take that skill to your workplace to improve relations with your coworkers.

Go with a flat fee of ten bucks to fix stuff, with more thrown on top for hardware replacement. If you're especially unscrupulous, you could always round the cost of the hard drive / RAM / whatever up to the nearest ten and keep the rest as part of your installation fee. Start with friends and family. They'll tell their friends and family and you'll eventually have more work than you know what to do with.

As for setting it up, I'd advise saying something similar to "But, uh, could you sling a little money my way for doing this? Trying to save up a little money, and Geek Squad would probably take you for all you're worth anyway."

>> No.247806

Start making friends with more 40 somethings (e.g. parents) and less with other 16 year olds. Act polite and responsible. Look them in the eye when you talk to them and develop a firm handshake. When they need something done you will be their cheapest form of labor. If you can get in good with one rich parent, you will be set.

>> No.247818

>>247491
im thinking about that garden. how much money would i get for selling those plants?

>> No.247824

>>247818
If you grow organically, you can really charge quite a steep price for certain veggies.

>>247773
I also recommend this. Easy work (most of the time) and theres a whole generation that doesnt know shit about maintaining their computer.

Also, check your local Craig's List listings. People are always looking for short jobs that pay well.
For example, my friend is doing some coding for some guy who's paying $200/hour and another friend got a job entering people in a free raffle for $20/hour, three days in a row.

Theres always stuff floating around.

>INB4 Underage

>> No.247842

>>247806
Want to make money AND be a very cool person?

Elderly and handicapped people need younger people to help them out with stuff, from grocery shopping to home repairs to mowing. Most young people are too fucking lazy to do anything for these folks, even for money. So these people will be glad to pay you for damned near anything.

As an added bonus, those who really like you and have no families of their own might put you in their will.

>> No.247843

I had a friend who sold adirondack chairs and picnic tables he built all through high school. He made out pretty well during the summers.

>> No.247856
File: 23 KB, 343x447, redrotating.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you want you could start doing glass work, assuming someone like you has the skills and workspace (a well ventilated garage should suffice. All you really have to do is collect glass bottles from trash cans, restaurants, and wherever, and grind them up, mix with some sand, and start crafting. The most popular items these days are bongs and tobacco pipes, and (with less legal bullshit to waddle through) hookahs. Swirls and colors are obtained through chemical powders, but you should be able to get a good mix if you keep the colors our of each-other. A single hookah may take 1-2 hours of work, and could get you as much as 80-100 USD if somebody knows you made it by hand. Sell on eBay or to local tobacco/head shops, or if you can supply the demand, local Lebanese and Arab shops will buy your product and sell you a cut.

>> No.247862

Steal credit card information and sell it.

>> No.247863

Win the Sikorsky Prize.

>> No.247869

OP you can sell a carton of organic eggs for 4$. You can sell corn for 10-40 cents an ear depending on local prices. Rabbit meat and furs (and pets) are worth a fuckton. Just go to a few farmer's markets, poke around and see prices, get info about selling your own stuff, then grow something worth a lot or that isn't usually available but might be desirable.

Obviously animals are something you'd have to really have money to get started on but you might be able to get your parents to pay, since it's a hobby. Just tell them straight: you want to learn some useful skills and make some money through your own work. Of course you also need space to do this and there are laws about it but worth suggesting, I figure. Feel free to head over to /an/ and ask about it.

But, um, really there are a lot of things you could do if you're handy! You could take free pallets and turn them into furniture and sell it on craigslist, or, yknow, whatever. You could make jewelry or whatever for an etsy shop. Just find something you're ok at or interested in and fucking do it. I have an online shirt shop (using spreadshirt) that makes me 500-1000 ducks a year, though I haven't even added anything in years. I just designed some shirts, threw the designs on and now they just send me cheques. So, yknow, just do something!

>> No.247870

Oh, and dog walking / babysitting. Dog babysitting I mean.

My sister used to walk a yorki every day after school. Got paid 20$ a week. Was literally 5 minutes a day, and it was right by our house... no effort, free money. She'd get easily 50$-100$ for watching a dog over the weekend. Just pop over 4 times and feed it, let it out, etc. Good shit. Use computerguy's advice upthread for how to get customers.