[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 215 KB, 960x640, 65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2470530 No.2470530 [Reply] [Original]

I'm a 27 year old software engineer in New York City and I'm tired of the city and of not producing anything with my hands. I want to move to New Hampshire and get a /diy/ related job such as machining, assembling or testing technically complicated objects, PLC programming in a factory, or perhaps being a diesel or aircraft mechanic, etc.

My qualifications are that I'm highly dexterous, autistic, extremely fast learner with excellent memory, and have a high level of familiarity with tools, computers, electronics, and engines (for a layman). I'm well credentialed in the field of software engineering but I don't want to do this anymore, I want to throw my old career away.

Ok so what would you recommend that's on the high IQ or technical side of /diy/ jobs? Anything that requires a few years of technical schooling would be preferable. I have lots of money and no family.

>> No.2470535

>>2470530
cnc machining of any kind. Depending on the role you might not even need experience. I didn't. I was also swe and quit that to do more diy shit. Money's not the same obvi, but I don't really care about that.

>> No.2470547

>>2470530
>here is why I'm special
>I want to be special
>tell me how to be special
Lmao

>> No.2470549

>>2470535
Nice, how did you get into it? Just applied to jobs online? Did they train you on the job?
>>2470547
I am special, if this offends you go away.

>> No.2470568

>>2470530
Instrumentation and controls technician

>> No.2470600

>>2470549
> I am special, if this offends you go away.

I’ll vouch for OP. He is special. And not short bus special either. Some say he’s a righteous dude.

>> No.2470610

>>2470530
All those jobs you listed you need to go back to school for several years to do then will start out at the bottom in your 30s
Have fun

>> No.2470618

I came to the conclusion that there's nothing I could ever do to get a good job. You might want to just take whatever you can get because if you don't it might end up being nothing.

>> No.2470631

>>2470530
My employer is desperate for machinists, among other tradesmen, and will hire with zero experience, contingent on going through an intensive two or three month training course. Pay isn't fantastic for the field, especially compared to some of the other shops in the area, but they'll give nearly anyone a shot and bump you along the pay scale if you perform well.
This is CT though, a lot gayer than NH.

>> No.2470634

>>2470631
If you are set on NH (and don't have a particular location in mind) check out Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.
https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Shipyards/Portsmouth/Careers/
Would probably need a secret clearance from the DOD, which can take some time.

>> No.2470635

Join a Boilermaker's union. You work in refineries, steel mills, powerplants etc. and your job is to solve problems. Never seen a coal plant steam condenser in my life, and I rebuilt one in half the time projected with my crew on my first job, despite the problems we ran into with uneven wear on the tube sheets that hold the pipes for the steam, the worn doors on the waterboxes, the lack of tools and equipment to get the job done the way we want to, etc. It's all about finding problems and solving them in a way that gets the job done.

>> No.2470637

>>2470568
Is this what you do? How do you like it?
>>2470600
Thanks bro
>>2470610
That's fine, I wouldn't mind going back to school. I was a weirdo the first time around. Plus it would be an interesting refresh for my life. I'm feeling kind of like I reached the end of this subplot and if I keep doing this it'll just be the same thing forever until I die. I want to go explore another branch and live a different life in a different place.
>>2470618
This has not been my experience. I'm pretty confident in my ability to get good jobs.
>>2470631
How's the cost of living where you live? Are you in a comfortable financial situation? Would you personally recommend that I go work there? Agreed that CT is gay though
>>2470634
I've been to all the states in the Northeast pretty extensively and NH is my favorite, but I could go for Maine or even upstate NY. I'll check this out, sounds cool
>>2470635
This is a great advertisement, sounds exactly like what I want to do. How hard was it for you to join, and what does the training/education entail?

>> No.2470652

>>2470637
Connecticut is pretty high in terms of cost of living; better than NYC, but greater than what you'd see in NH, by my knowledge. State taxes are quite steep.
I'm in pretty good shape financially, but admittedly that's in large part because I live with my parents. I wouldn't have too much trouble if I were to start renting, but my thinking now is that I'll save as much as I can for now and down the line move out of state; mostly considering PA and NH, but maybe going somewhere like Idaho.
Might as well drop the company name: Electric Boat Corp
As far as recommending this place- it's kind of a mess, but that at least keeps things interesting. Because it's a bloated government contractor that only has to compete with another bloated government contractor, the incentives that drive innovation in the broader market aren't really considered. In my position, there's a good amount of figuring shit out and making due with what's on hand. Some positions can be very rote though, even under the same job title and pay grade. I definitely wouldn't consider it a "forever job," but it's a decent place to learn and jump off from. Under the current contract the pay scale tops out at 34/hr. for most of the trades. Medical is decent, dental is good, 40hrs vacation and 40hrs sick time to start.
Before you go and ditch your air conditioned big brain job, be aware that in a lot of the trades you will be surrounded by people that are really dumb. Even in the more cognitively involved fields there are lots of people that attained a basic level of competence through sheer repetition, over years, without really understanding. I was supposed to end up in some sort of highly paid office job, but college was such a terrible experience for me that I ended up not going back after a medical crisis. It can be really jarring and lonely dealing with people 10-20 points lower on the bell curve than yourself. As an autist you are probably somewhat accustomed to this sort of situation though.

>> No.2470664

>>2470530
Please don’t go PLC programming. We have enough autistic people already.

No but jokes aside, factories are high stress environments. There are always people chasing you, and infinite random mechanical/electrical failures that make ‘good software’ useless because it needs hacks to compensate for real world behaviour anyway. I’m not even autistic but I like the preparation part a lot better.
There are basically 3 routes you either work for a production company (maintenance electrician/programmer, fun if you can deal with shifts), for a service company (on call and just fix other peoples stuff all day, has best pay though) or at an equipment manufacturer (build new stuff and a little bit of maintenance but you’ll have to fix all spec/engineering mistakes during commissioning)

There are companies that just build designs/drawings/PLC software and send it to whoever will commission it though, maybe that’s a better choice

>> No.2470804

instead of going to a factory to troubleshoot old shit i'd rather work at the manufacturer of said equipment and work on new machinery that hasn't been fucked with.
We travel the world and have a new project every 3-4 months on hand.
Plus we supply the pharma kike, where restrictive regulations make it next to impossible for the chinks to steal our customer base, book out for the next 5 years at least.

>> No.2470879

>>2470530
Consider creating a terrarium,
should be a nice place to showcase your bugs

>> No.2470893
File: 854 KB, 1126x919, 610391-56-1-scaled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2470804
Who's we? What do you do and how did you get in? Are they hiring? How do you enjoy your life?
>>2470879
I've done this and owned many bugs. Though I've never ordered nonlocal rare bugs from the internet, I just find bugs outside and put them in containers. My favorite is to capture cicadas when they appear because they're so beautiful, and they will sing for you.

>> No.2470930

>>2470530
>I'm a 27 year old software engineer in New York City and I'm tired of the city and of not producing anything with my hands
You sound like me 15 years ago.

>> No.2470933

>>2470530
>move to New Hampshire
so do it
your industry is almost entirely remote at this point; stay in it and keep producing for pay
or take a slightly less demanding job in same industry that leaves you with more time (at less pay, probably, but your tax situation improvement alone will cover that)
all that time lost on the subway and navigating NYC bullshit can now be spent improving your land and building whatever you want in your workshop

>> No.2470949

Dual 2yr major in Electronics/Automation and Electrical Power Technology checking in, big energy companies like BHI recruit new hires from the program I'm in, what am I in for and should I get into becoming a SCADA or PLC programmer once I'm in working as a maintenance tech?

>> No.2470984

>>2470530
>I'm a 27 year old software engineer in New York City
>I want to move to New Hampshire
you probably would not fit in or like it here. better off going to upstate NY if you need to get out of the city in my opinion.

>> No.2471006

>>2470652
>You will be surrounded by people who are really dumb
I am already. You have no idea what it's like with the fucking Indians they are shoveling into this industry. The average Indian hired in a tech job must literally have negative productivity because of how much time their American handlers waste unfucking their mistakes. And no I'm not racist against the Indian race, I actually respect their ancient cultural output, but something they are doing in India (the country) (today) is producing complete retards who cannot think critically whatsoever
>>2470930
Well what did you do? Do you have advice?
>>2470933
I also considered this, but I want to do something else that doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen all day. My neck hurts man. I also already work from home and I don't meet or talk to anybody. We have an office that's open but it's full of fucking manchildren and troon warriors that I don't enjoy interacting with. It's seriously like the IRL family reunion of the worst elements from Twitter.

Going back to school and doing something else will be an interesting shakeup. A more physical job and more regular social interaction with normal people will be better for my health. And worst case scenario if it sucks ass, I can always just go back. It's not like there's really any risk besides wasting 30k on technical school, which with my savings would be nothing.

>>2470984
In what sense would I probably not fit in with them or like it? I feel that I do not fit in or like the people in NYC at all. In fact, I hate them. The only thing I need wherever I go is some women my age who are not insane feminists.

>> No.2471024

OP here, I'm really thinking about aircraft mechanic. 18 months of technical school for $30k, and afterwards I'll be able to do some really fucking cool shit. The more I consider this idea the more appealing it sounds. I wonder if any airplane mechanics or instrument techs browse this board.

>> No.2471066

>>2471006
>In what sense would I probably not fit in with them or like it?
let me run some scenarios by you and you can posit how you would respond to them.

>scenario 1
upon moving into your house, you quickly come to find that your neighbor spends every sunday afternoon shooting his AR-15 off his back deck.

>scenario 2
you are relaxing in your backyard one november evening after work, when you hear a very close and loud gunshot. upon investigation you find that a hunter has wandered into your woods and took out a deer, and is dragging it back to his truck parked on the side of the road.

>scenario 3
every single person living in your neighborhood either has a motorcycle or a truck with loud exhaust, constantly speeding by your house.

>scenario 4
there are zero public services, so your property has its own on-site well, gas, and septic. power can also go out for weeks at a time during the winter with no one to come help you. your well water starts tasting funny and making you sick, your septic backs up and floods your kitchen sink with shit, or you run out of propane in the middle of a snowstorm.

>> No.2471067

>>2471066
>scenario 5
there is no public transportation and the nearest store is 30 minutes away. you go to start your car one winter morning to go food shopping only to find it won't start.

>scenario 6
you go to the local middle school on primary day to cast a vote for your favorite left wing candidate to finally put an end to climate change once and for all, and everyone in the gymnasium is carrying a firearm while wearing a red, racist hat. the woman at the front asks you if you want a democrat or republican ballot. the record that's playing screeches to a stop and everyone pauses, turns and looks directly at you, waiting to hear what you say.

>scenario 7
everyone you see wherever you go is white.

>scenario 8
you're hungry, so you open up your door dash app, only to find they don't service your area. the nearest pizza shop is 20 minutes away and closes at 7:30. it's 7:15.

>scenario 9
every single girl on bumble is either 40lbs overweight, a single mom with stretch marks and lives in a trailer, or lives 50 miles away and doesn't have a car.

>> No.2471121

>>2471066
>upon moving into your house, you quickly come to find that your neighbor spends every sunday afternoon shooting his AR-15 off his back deck.
Sounds awesome, I would do this too

>you are relaxing in your backyard one november evening after work, when you hear a very close and loud gunshot. upon investigation you find that a hunter has wandered into your woods and took out a deer, and is dragging it back to his truck parked on the side of the road.
I would probably tell him to stay off my property but not make a huge scene about it, depending on whether it could be reasonably construed as an accident.

>scenario 3
>every single person living in your neighborhood either has a motorcycle or a truck with loud exhaust, constantly speeding by your house.
I have a motorcycle with a loud exhaust, sounds great

>scenario 4
>there are zero public services, so your property has its own on-site well, gas, and septic. power can also go out for weeks at a time during the winter with no one to come help you. your well water starts tasting funny and making you sick, your septic backs up and floods your kitchen sink with shit, or you run out of propane in the middle of a snowstorm.
This all sounds bad, but I'd rather deal with this than living next to minorities and huge piles of stinking garbage. I'd have a reverse osmosis filter and a backup generator and probably be fine.

>> No.2471130

>>2471067
>scenario 5
>there is no public transportation and the nearest store is 30 minutes away. you go to start your car one winter morning to go food shopping only to find it won't start.
I keep my vehicles well-maintained so I don't think this is likely to happen that frequently

>scenario 6
>you go to the local middle school on primary day to cast a vote for your favorite left wing candidate to finally put an end to climate change once and for all, and everyone in the gymnasium is carrying a firearm while wearing a red, racist hat. the woman at the front asks you if you want a democrat or republican ballot. the record that's playing screeches to a stop and everyone pauses, turns and looks directly at you, waiting to hear what you say.
I vote Republican lol

>scenario 7
>everyone you see wherever you go is white.
Are you trying to sell me on this or dissuade me?

>scenario 8
>you're hungry, so you open up your door dash app, only to find they don't service your area. the nearest pizza shop is 20 minutes away and closes at 7:30. it's 7:15.
I don't use doordash and I know how to cook

>scenario 9
>every single girl on bumble is either 40lbs overweight, a single mom with stretch marks and lives in a trailer, or lives 50 miles away and doesn't have a car.
I don't talk to women, I've never had a gf and I'm not bothered by it. I want to meet a wife someday so this is somewhat of a concern, but I'd rather a family-minded fat chick with reasonable beliefs than the kind of disgusting used up sluts and commie activists running around here

>> No.2471143

If you knew you couldn’t die tomorrow no matter what, what would you do?

>> No.2471168

>>2471143
Continue hating women and minorities

>> No.2471169

>>2471143
The fear of death doesn't really stop me from doing much. The fear of being arrested is more of a killjoy.

>> No.2471235

>>2471121
>>2471130
well in that case welcome to NH. one thing though is that i would read up on the concept of 'public use of private land' we live by up here. it might take some getting used to, or you could just post your land like an asshole but almost no one does that (probably just relocated city folk).

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/landshare/faqs.html

>Can I hunt on private land that's not posted?
>Yes. But it's always good to ask the landowner first.
>Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good.

also we're generally not republicans up here, we're libertarians. even the people that vote democrat (don't ask me to explain that).

>> No.2471311

>>2471006
>Do you have advice?
I wrote >>2470933
Bought a house (no mortgsge, no debt) in a small town down south. Prior owner has built up the bones of a nice workshop in the basement. All the power tool stations are gone. But there were outlets and lamps and pegboards and whatnot. Been populating it with stations that suit me. It's been nice.
I keep to myself as much as I like. But have nice neighbors -- including black folk. Police keep the niggers in check. Non-national chain businesses are stuck thirty/or more years in the past, which is charming but occasionally frustrating when trying to find, say, chopsticks. But I try to support them and they appreciate it. (See green text of subsequent post.)
Nature is walking distance. Really nice nature is biking/short driving distance. Winters are warmer, but so are summers.
Slower pace than NYC here. Food sucks (except for Mexican, because we have actual Mexicans unlike NYC.) Bars are few and seedy. But am about an hour's drive from larger Southern cities where I can find the things. And you would be amazed how quickly you sense the liberal bullshit in those cities when you've stopped being soaked in it every day.
I'm unlikely to find an intellectual equal. Or a wife. But pretty much given up in that anyway. If it happens it happens. But that was the case back in NYC, too, really. And leaving grants that perspective.
Work-wise, I do contract consulting out of my home office -- which is nice because I have the space yo build a comfy one. Windows. Light. Plants. About a week a month on average. Pays the bills and a little more. The rest of my time is mine.

>> No.2471312

>>2471311
>I had the guys who sold me my refrigerator call a few weeks later and make sure I was happy
>wut?!
>Said I was but it would have been better if the door was flipped and that I was going to get around to it at some point.
>"Well I've got an installer out by you today, actually and he's bored. Want him to just do it?" >"Sure, I guess. Would save me a hassle. How much?"
>".. What? Nothing. I said I'd install it for you." >"But you did and I sorta changed my mind." ."Pffft. Flipping a door two weeks ago or today is the same. Except now you know you want it."
>Guy came over.
>Helped me put my freezer stuff in a cooler
>Did the flip
>Helped me put food back in freezer
>Was gonna be on his way until in suggested we share a beer on my porch.
>He called back to the office, got the okay, I invited him too.
>Three of us hung out for a bit and they told me about the town.
>Was nice.

>> No.2471317

>>2471006
>Going back to school
>shakeup
Ohh fuck off.
You're just bored and frustrated by the stupid shit happening to NY.
All you need is to reset and recharge someplace else for a month so you can get bored of that and go back. (Or learn something about yourself, who the fuck knows.)
Just get s VRMO for like a month out in some suburb or some town in the South or Texas or SW or somewhere for November. Or wait until ski season and do that.
But like seriously a month. Where you have to get past that vacation window where the "I get to go home" point just stays under the horizon.
Or fucking go to another country for a month if you want to "shake things up." You dollar goes far in Belize (which speaks English.) Or Puerto Rico, if you want to have a closer but shittier place where you hear constantly mumbled or shrill Spanish that you hear in NYC all the time if you're homesick.
But that's the point with any destination and length of stay for this: try to trigger homesick.
If it happens, you'll learn that you don't hate the City but just your job and social life -- fix those.
If it doesn't happen, then you can escape without trying to convince yourself for years that you didn't make a terrible mistake.

>> No.2471339

>>2471235
Very interesting. If I can hunt on other people's land that's totally sick. And I am a libertarian too, but I vote Republican for it
>>2471311
Yeah this is pretty much exactly what I have envisioned for myself. How long ago did you move there?
>>2471317
Thanks for the advice, I literally took a month long vacation in Vermont between July and August and I know I hate the city, I have hated it my whole life.

>> No.2471434

>>2471339
>How long ago
Few years. Ironically not long before the coof madness. Can't imagine what I'd have done to maskholes in the City.

>> No.2471533

>>2470652
Ah, a fellow electric boat fag. I would have never thought I'd run into someone else who works there.

>> No.2471654

>>2471339
>Thanks for the advice, I literally took a month long vacation in Vermont between July and August and I know I hate the city, I have hated it my whole life.

I grew up in a rather nice north Jersey burb and commuted for a few years then GTFO. Many people don't understand how restrictive urban life really is. For example it's normal to rent garage space because land is so expensive, noise restrictions are no joke and of course auto enthusiasts, shooters etc are completely screwed. OTOH self and neighbors target practice in our own yards (the crime rate for our location is very low despite hoods with high rates next to it) and hunt.

City life is nothing but restrictions. It severely limits what you can own (property is a fine store of value), it severely limits what you're allowed to do, and you can't afford to retire there in most cases even if you do build a nice life. I didn't have to liquidate at an inopportune market time to retire as my home was paid off before then and DIY made my vehicles and homes easily affordable. DIY and escaping the urban hive slashes overhead increases economic security and personal resilience during disaster and done with reasonable planning is quite comfy.

In the city a parking space is an expensive privilege if you can get one at all. I haven't had to parallel park since the 1980s...

>> No.2471677

>>2470530
If you are interested I know someone in Worcester MA looking to hire. It would still be software engineering, but big focus on developing software to pull data off of PLCs and new sensors for process monitoring. Obviously I can't vouch for you or anything, but if you're interested I'll set up a burner email address and send you a link to the job posting.