[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 166 KB, 1079x2048, mechanic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2423529 No.2423529 [Reply] [Original]

>Be me
>Own boat
>Become super ambitious dismantling half the boat for renovation
>Slip into depression and burnout
>Not able to sail to relax
>Everytime I start a job on the boat it fails
>Don't have enough energy to keep going
>Half year passes
>Jobs wear me out, all fun in diy disappears
>Some jobs finally complete, bad luck happens and they get destroyed
>Other jobs that cost a lot of time and money I finish with poor results because of lack of focus and patience

Since then every project causes me to have a nervous breakdown. I rush things, get anxious/angry/sad at the slightest inconveniences, am overloaded with anxiety for failing, always fuck up in some slight way which causes me to get angry at myself.

Any1 here experience the same? What do? I just did a project on my car, restoring the spare wheel boot. One of the plastic hinges broke off and I fashioned a new one out of plastic. Caught myself entering a nervous breakdown shortly after starting. Had to sit myself down, accept that I need to take the time to do this thing and let myself try to enjoy it. Job is now complete and it was fun. Heat bended the plastic hinge and glued it in place.

>> No.2423534

>>2423529
Sell the boat, don't bite more than you can chew and don't be a little bitch who cries everytime something goes wrong.
>muh depression
>muh burnout
>muh anxiety
Fag.

>> No.2425318

>>2423529
You are pathetic. You are the faggot

>> No.2425337

>>2423529
Thats literally a burn-out what you discribe. Get some help or bite through and every time you get angry, stop being angry and laugh about yourself, because you let your emotions capture you.

>> No.2425392

>>2423529
>i broke me boot and cant fix it halp
deserved
>WANX OY

>> No.2426557
File: 45 KB, 828x811, FB_IMG_1656522875030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go slower, less intimidating. I did the same with a project car - had the thing half way disassembled and it felt incredibly daunting to piece it back together. If there's a part of the project that you absolutely can't do yourself, make a craigslist ad asking for help from someone more qualified. Maybe a hard pill to swallow, but better than abandoning your project entirely.
Your confidence in DIY activities will return you just need to take baby steps

>> No.2426573

>>2423529
>get angry at the slighteat inconveniences
i feel this, but only when you have mating tapers or running fits that suddenly become cold-welded from the previous owner being an absolute nigger and you have to find some janky ass "bake it in the oven and then tap it 3 times on the end and click your heels to go to kansas" shit to even have a hope of fixing it

>> No.2426601

>>2423529
Get therapy

>> No.2426605
File: 80 KB, 553x360, ab529d3f68a3652bc3e89132fcb0bd76.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2426573
>only when you have mating tapers
You should put aside your petty emotions and either leave them alone, or help them.

>> No.2426616

This isn't just you. I'm also great at starting projects, but then loose interest in the project. I have 1/2 completed projects all over the place. Eventually, don't even see that 1/2 painted room or incomplete cabinets.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a character flaw and you (and I) need to get over it. Suck it up buttercup. Etc. Watch / read some Tony Robbins. It might help.

>> No.2426627

>>2426605
Nice cock, I can already feel my bussy drippin

>> No.2427149

>>2423529
maybe do more sport? Anyway, my solution is to see a big project as 1000 small projects. its easier to finish 3 small things in 1 hour than 1 big thing in 3 weeks and gives way more confidence.

>> No.2427158
File: 97 KB, 640x419, GroupTherapy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2423529
I get this way all the time. My fix is to go stare judgmentally at the nearest heard of normans and remind myself that an easy 90% of them would not even know who to call to perform the works I was performing, much less perform the works themselves. Sure I'm a tard, but I'll take smartest kid on the short bus over paying for oil changes or eating detergent pods any day of the week.

>> No.2427167

Definitely been there OP, it took me 9 and a bit years to finish my car restoration project. All but gave up on it for about 2 and a bit years near the middle somewhere from the sads and lack of motivation. But you have to never truly give up, always hold a tiny bit of hope somewhere and keep the image in your mind of yourself enjoying the boat out on the water one day. That's what I did and now the car is my daily driver and I get compliments on it everywhere. All of the misery is then forgotten.

>> No.2427168

>>2427149
>1000 small projects.

also, make lists of these sub-projects so you get the satisfaction of checking things off regularly. and if you do it in a computer file with dates it can be fun to look back at your progress and see how things went faster or slower than you had anticipated.

>> No.2428012
File: 830 KB, 1198x677, comf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wanted the thread to die because of meanies but thanks for serious responses.

>>2425337
It hits harder when someone else says it. Its not just projects, it everything in my life. My nerves are burning with anxiety everyday. Its exactly as you describe. Very irrational behavior, and when I take a break and think things through I calm down already.

>>2426557
Slowing down is most of the problem for me. Sometimes I spread out simple things over several weeks because of work, tiredness, depression. Imagine thinking and worrying about a few hours of work over the span of two weeks. I think I know the feel you describe. You're right about confidence. What helps me the most is seeing how others do it and realising that I am 5 steps ahead of them in terms of planning and perfection, and still they finish the project just fine.

>>2426573
Not sure what you were saying. Its probably better if the thing you are working on is in shit condition because then there is no fear of fucking up a nice thing

>>2426616
May be true, sometimes if the DIY is repetitive like a aluminium polishing project I did a while ago it just gets so boring and energy consuming. Difficult to fill my already limited free time with more work. Ok I will watch that guy

>>2427149
For me personally its better to also keep the big picture in mind. If a step is not going well or is not perfect to make the decision on time to move on so that atleast progress is made and not another emotional bottleneck is created.

>>2427158
Absolutely true, we are perfectionists. I bought a new boat a while ago and hired a professional surveyor. He was supposed to check out the boat, but I basically held his hand through the whole thing because I knew every nook and cranny, every flaw of the boat I was buying. I even wondered if he would even bother looking up the flaws of that particular boat. Probably not.

>>2427167
Damn, but I do understand. I learned some important lessons from this restoration project.

>> No.2428014

>>2427168
Im not the type who puts the plan on paper. The plan has to be an active thing in my head, or else its dead or just a bunch of meaningless words. The last thing I need when doing a project is to spend the project time and energy on something that is not contributing to progress

>> No.2428033

>>2423534
Fags are the only people that don't have depression, get burnout, or have anxiety. They are too fabulous for that shit. You fuckin faggot.

>> No.2428047

「ポアされてよかってね。」
と100回言いなさい。
「ポアされてよかってね。」
「ポアされてよかってね。」
:
「ポアされてよかってね。」