[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 204 KB, 880x588, d2f98e77fe801fe3d7b6b66082e62cf0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2423421 No.2423421 [Reply] [Original]

I have some acreage I want to live on, but it's all completely empty. No structures whatsoever. I want to build a barndominium in the most economical way possible. My only concern is how much utilities are gonna cost (electricity, plumbing, etc).
I'm not looking into a huge barn or anything, something small will do. The only reason I'm not just getting a trailer home or something is because barndominiums are probably more stable. I want to put a basement under it tho because we get tornadoes a lot and so shelters are a must.

>> No.2423423

your only concern isnt utilities bro

>> No.2423434

>>2423423
Sorry, "only concern" is bad wording. It's the first concern I can think of atm

>> No.2423613

baronminum really seems like the practical solution. Bit boring though.

>> No.2423620

>>2423421
What makes it a barndominium if it hasn’t ever been an actual barn? Don’t you just mean corrugate metal house or I dunno Swedish style house? Is there some kind of feature that makes it cheaper or simpler than a simple wood frame house? You’ll isolate it anyway

>> No.2423640

>>2423421
Actually study rather than assume. Basements are not the only shelter so study real military bunkers to learn how it should be done. Do NOT study bunkers or shelters on 4chan because this place is horribly infected with moronic autspergies whose advice you do not want on that subject even if you are one.

Consider a simple shop for a first build so you have a place to live while constructing other space.

Discard memewords then study the many different choices proven where you live. Pole barns are easy and cheap to get a quick shell constructed. You can build them around a shipping container for instant dry shop space. Study steel building kits. (Wood is horrible over time and high maintenance.)

There is nothing new to invent. Use combinations of proven systems. Ignore autspergies and do the vast majority of your research outside /diy/ because the opinions of people who have not personally done X are trash. Copy adults around your area as they've already solved the "utility building" problem in ways that work.

>> No.2423656

>>2423640
> because the opinions of people who have not personally done X are trash
Okay so if I want to know if I should smoke crack I should only listen to people who did?

>> No.2423661

>>2423640
>so study real military bunkers
I can't wait for summer to be over.

>> No.2423662

>>2423421
My opinion? They're a waste of space, hard to heat/cool, and usually rich wall street faggots destroying perfectly good barns, so they can larp as "farmers".
But you're not going to do anything, so it doesn't matter.

>> No.2423682

A box is cheaper than a basement.

OVERVIEW
ESP Safety Shelters (above-ground only) offer the ultimate in multi-purpose protection and security for you and loved ones against violent acts of nature and multiple threats posed by man. ESP Safety Shelters will withstand the most extreme tornado activity and offer a safe zone against home invasion. It is preferable for the shelter to be installed within the interior of a residence. If you choose to install it outdoors, it must be within 150 feet of the residence it is intended to serve and must be protected from all external weather conditions. THIS SHELTER IS NOT WATERPROOF. The Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has undergone and passed testing at the National Wind Institute at Texas Tech University. They have been tested and withstood a total of 9 impacts from 15 lb. 2x4s traveling at 100 mph. These impacts are equivalent to the force produced by an F5 tornado with 250-mph winds.

>> No.2423982

Contractor here. I have a barndo fetish. Many owners build a concrete room in their floor plan and use it as a pantry. That way they can take shelter and eat snacks while the tornadoes destroy their belongings.

>> No.2424862

>>2423656
Deliberate bad analogy. Do you results or just to play in dirt like a sped? There is nothing new to invent bunker-wise.

>>2423661
Why would you not? Those are blast-tested (at least US versions) and incorporate proven ways to get bunkers that work. There is ample info and that includes field fortifications from the smallest e-tool dug versions on up.

If want small shelter precast concrete shapes have been used for deployed bunkers since before Desert Storm. They can be used as safe rooms anchored to slab or if something special form up and call concrete pumper.