[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 143 KB, 686x488, combo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2423224 No.2423224 [Reply] [Original]

Would picrel be a good option for a beginner to try out the hobby?

>> No.2423229

>>2423224
Ive got some real bad news for you anon.
This is not a cheap or easy to get into discipline.
In fact, its horrendously expensive and very hard to even just start.

Triple your budget, and then plan on spending at least 1k of it buying tooling and other tools.
There is no easing your way in and "trying it out"

There is spending a large amount of money on something worthwhile, with worthwhile tooling to fit it.
Or there is spending 80% of the same budget on literal garbage and tooling youll never use with larger machines, that will you immediately realize you need the first day you own your shitty machine.

Dont buy combo machines, you need both a dedicated lathe and a dedicated milling machine
Depending on where you live and how lucky you are, you may find something on FB marketplace or craigslist thats old and in good shape. And if you are real lucky itll have lots of tooling with it

Under no circumstances should anybody for any reason buy that machine

>> No.2423294

>>2423224
it doesn't matter you won't do it.

>> No.2423298

>>2423294
What exactly are you trying to say?

>> No.2423430

>>2423224
I'm going to trade school in August for machining.
Is the pay enough for me and my future family to live off if I inherit a house

>> No.2423431

>>2423430
Depends, but no, probably not.

>> No.2423450

>>2423430
Where do you live and why have you not asked machinists in the area what they make and about their career tracks?

Flyover country is easiest for everything of that sort.

>> No.2423469

>>2423229
This is good advice, ignore it at your own peril. Just get a job at a machine shop if you want to make chips.

>> No.2423473

>>2423224
No.

/thread

>> No.2423487
File: 98 KB, 800x600, mini mill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay it took me about ~8 months, but I finally got a job as a software engineer after my machine shop failed.

Don't think I plan to start up another shop anytime soon, but maybe some real estate investments?

How is everyone else's career going? Oh, and I will probably just buy one of those Qidi carbon fiber 3d printers to satisfy the manufacturing needs, anyone have xp on those?

>> No.2423488

you can do a lot with mini lathes. retards who insist on spendig your life savings on tools are retards

>> No.2423489
File: 227 KB, 947x846, supervisor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2423229
yeah pretty much this, the right entry into manufacturing for profit is like a $70,000 haas mini mill or something, preferably with a good long-term loan on it.

>> No.2423511

Some advice to live by; any tool/machine that claims to be able to do multiple tasks will do a real shitty job of those tasks. Much better off getting the dedicated tool for each job.

>> No.2423514

>>2423298
>>2423298
it's very clear.

>> No.2423561

>>2423514
It’s absolutely not clear at all, what exactly are you trying to say?

>> No.2423569

>>2423487
this image demonstrates why bridgeports are so flimsy
that man is 5'2" and he dwarfs that hobbyist meme machine

>> No.2423579

>>2423450
I live in Mesa Az but plan on moving into a town in Northern AZ

>> No.2423585

>>2423579
Holy Fuck, the majority of the jobs are 33k per year. Is there a better trade to get into or should I hope the boomer dieoff makes wages rise?

>> No.2423587

>>2423585
maybe there is a trade worker anonymous thread or something to ask

>> No.2423588

>>2423585
Better research heavily, If still young enough join the Air Force and fix things that fly for the vested retirement and inflation/recession proof paycheck plus fun. Retirement is everything and early is best.

Trades which don't involve electricity and math and preferably some programming fail to filter morons. Mechatronics is worth a look as industrial controls will always need installation, repair, maintenance and modification and not being production work you won't be replaced by robots.

Machinist pay is low because it's fun and machine shops are in a collective race to the bottom making them a very high mortality business. Check the "hot dog cart" jokes on Practical Machinist forums for why. Machining is a great skill to have but many become millwrights to make more money.

Money and retirement packages are everything. Your working life will end soon so be ready.

>> No.2423610

>>2423588
Thanks, I will try to join the Airforce and hope I get assigned to the base down the road from where I live.

>> No.2423617

>>2423224
compare the price of that to the price of a Qidi 3d carbon fiber printer.

I think you can even mod them to print PEEK too. Which is fucking amazing.

>> No.2423621

>>2423585
A lot of those jobs you literally stand at a machine, put part in, push button, remove part, rinse and repeat.
They don’t pay well.

If you move up the ladder into being the guy who does the car work, and sets up the machines you make a lot more money.
Shop shops there is a clear way into that role, others there is not

>> No.2423634

>>2423610
Seek bases in Europe or PACAF (Korea, Okinawa, Japan and more) if possible since clinging to home is for when you retire and are too old to have fun. There are many great bases or manning slots on other service bases which are generally ignored on 4chan because /k/ is an Army/Marine board (and should be ignored as such).

The trick to the military is to work on valuable systems and the AF is so well funded those who do lead comfy lives. I fixed fighters and loved it but airlift travel the most. Visit fora like f16.net and ask what might suit your interests.

AF life is easy unless one is an extreme pussy in which case avoid as a mercy to coworkers. You'll be most content if you study seriously and ask Airmen who do what interests you. (Some in any AFSC will be unhappy but there are G.I.s who complain about having an orgasm....)

If you really must stay near home check out the Guard and Reserve. Have your recruiter introduce you and actually visit your nearby base(s). Airmen are a friendly techy lot. Have no preconceptions and be chill and open because everyone was new at one time and they're all aware of it.

Do not go General enlistment. Do not become a cop or join Transportation (only work on vehicles that fly!). If interested in medical that's a nice path to future civilian careers as the US is getting older and sicker every day.

Have fun! I've not noticed an economic downturn since 1981. I'm crippled (no fault of the AF) so fully retired but my SNCObros are making bank in DoD, contracting, LockMart etc. Do cultivate your human network. Do not become a drunk or barracks rat.

>> No.2423834
File: 124 KB, 1280x606, photo_2022-06-29_12-19-12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

not a good fit nuh uh, trough holes are diam 52mm

>> No.2424001

how do I balance wanting to use shallow doc to limit cutting force on crappy setups with needing enough doc for my insert geometry? should I just rough with my insert tooling and then redo my setup and finish with a sharp hss tool?

>>2423487
are you the guy with the mazak?

>> No.2424719
File: 156 KB, 828x735, DF371244-EF97-48A7-82F6-089A2A0B4A16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Could an experienced machinist here give me a rough ballpark estimate to make one of picrel from a US based machine shop? Also if you have time could you give me the quick skinny on the steps needed during the process? It’s milled from a block of 303.

>> No.2424802

>>2424719
youll have a hard time finding a machine shop that will make only one of these.

First a 3D CAD model will need to be created, so more pictures from other angles will be needed unless you have a physical replica you want.
Since theres that stem its going to require a large block of stock if you want it fully machined.
based on the 3d model and stock required, they are then going to program the machining toolpaths around that 3D model, and depending if they are going to use 5 axis or not(expensive), they will need to program and create custom workholding jaws ($30 of aluminum) to hold the part for the finishing operations.

This is at an $80/hr labor cost if you're lucky, roughly 2 hrs to get to this point. So you're looking at $200 and nothing has even been cut yet.
303 is nice to the tools, so tooling wont cost much,
not sure the size on this, but 6"x2" round bar stock is easily going to be $100

from there, setting up the machine, letting it run, making the soft jaws, setting up finish op, letting it run, post-processing, inspection

Alll in all, I'd be amazed if you get this done for under $500

>> No.2424850

>>2423229
Retard.
>>2423224
Buy a mini lathe and a drill press and start making shit. Get better tools when you need them and can afford them. Shitty tools are good enough for plenty of projects though.
>t. did this

>> No.2424898

>>2424850
Go on and show OP some projects youve made with your investment. Dont forget to mic them.
For such a big investment, hes gonna need some real, definite inspiration!

Will be sitting here with bated breath

>> No.2424932
File: 1.74 MB, 1920x1080, Screenshot from 2022-07-09 15-27-44.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quinn is a semi-competent machinist, and also seems like a pretty cool dude.
Think he'd let me play with his moobs? They look like a decent handful.

>> No.2424941

>>2424932
I like the channel well enough, never heard a peep one way or the other out of Blondies mouth about being a man or a woman, so the people who obsess over it are stupid.

>> No.2424945
File: 258 KB, 828x537, 008174FE-782F-498E-9DFA-F8106BB7B230.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2424802
Awesome thanks for the breakdown man. Yes my former employer had a sister machine shop so I will have it made locally here in NH, but wanted to get an opinion before I broach the subject with my old boss.

From my limited understanding I feel like once all the work holding and special tooling is ordered for this one, making subsequent ones will be considerably cheaper. There is a special tool that is used to make “nurling” across the club head face. The other picrel wasn’t a good example. This picrel is the desired club face.

I’d ideally like them to be able to somehow hold multiple putter heads at once for speed purposes, I’m imagining like a tombstone with 2 per side but that’s probably not the best way to do it. I am mostly concerned about how much can get done with a single cnc in one session before having to reposition it l, etc. Also I’m concerned with milling the inside of the hozel, the part that the club shaft is seated in. I’m hoping a standard tool can be used for that.

Thanks for the info man! Now on to figuring out fusion lol. I’ll keep you posted

>> No.2424947

>>2424945
>. There is a special tool that is used to make “nurling” across the club head face.
That knurling pattern is made with the face of a standard endmill being fed too fast.

>> No.2424961

>>2424941
There is kind of a precedent for it, there are known trannies doing DIY channels, like that "viking" "woman" who does metalsmithing, or the tranny luthier.
But i think Bliondiehacks is a female. I think she's one of the rare female autists. trannies have male features get really prominent when they gel into their 50s, that aren't showing on her.

>> No.2424966

>>2424945
what a gay sport

>> No.2424971

>>2424947
It’s not. It’s a special tool. Basically a tiny version of the part of a lathe that cuts the workpiece.

>> No.2424973

>>2424971
You mean a flycutter?
Regardless, while it may look impressive to golfers, its really not hard to achieve in all sorts of manners during the machining process

>> No.2425033

>>2424973
Yea exactly. That’s good to know.

>> No.2425052
File: 2.14 MB, 1920x1080, Screenshot from 2022-07-09 19-47-12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2424961
>But i think Bliondiehacks is a female.
nigger you blind

>> No.2425055

>>2425052
>4channer has never seen a woman before
many such cases.

>> No.2425095
File: 1.43 MB, 839x772, chrome_LT4YFBxNby.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2424945
I was thinking you just wanted one made, yes it will be considerably cheaper, the more you make
ahh so the shaft goes inside the head? I was thinking the other way around. for medium/large scale production would be most efficient using 5 axis to cut down set up times/workholding, something similar to picrel a 5 axis tombstone hybrid type deal.

Definetly a tricky part, is there any way to make the head and the stem part seperately and assembly them or does that compromise the desired properties of the head? It would save many much dollars

Good luck with fusion, the learning curve may be a bit steep if you're just starting out, it just takes time.

>> No.2425216

>>2424719
are the head and shaft one piece or attached somehow? are golf clubs normally made out of billet or do they use forgings?

>> No.2425225

>>2425216
i looked into it a bit, looks like they weld them together then machine them

>> No.2425342

>>2423430
Probably not. I am not American but where I work (mostly at setup though I am learning measurements unfortunately) I make barely minimum but I have only started and I can probably persuade my boss to give me a raise once I am done with the course.

>> No.2425369

>>2425095
Awesome yea that would be great to hold them. I think our shop has a haas mini mill or 3+2 can’t remember. Some companies will make the stem of the putter separate and it’s welded to the top of the club head. I figure that will be even more of a pain than just making them in one piece.

>>2425216
Putters are always machined. The other clubs in the bad are usually drop forged like irons. Drivers (new ones at least) are usually milled titanium faces, with carbon fiber bodies. Very difficult to make and design. For example the Calloway designers all have backgrounds in aerospace engineering.

>>2425225
Yup a lot of folks do that. Some do all one piece which is kinda what I’m going for. I’ll keep you guys updated. Might try and make a couple iterations and then try and do like a preorder thing so I can get some money in for a bigger development run.

>> No.2425374

>>2425055
That voice is sus tho..

>> No.2425432

>>2423224
Greetings
I've been called for an interview in a workshop, they work with gears. does any of you also make gears? what kind of stuff must I know to go there and get the job?

>> No.2425501

>>2423298
Chinese commie agent spreading dissent. Ignore and continue

>> No.2425518

>>2425095
>Good luck with fusion, the learning curve may be a bit steep

God I wish most CAD/CAM software was as easy as Fusion, it's got good documentation and tooltips, plus since so many hobbyists use it there's a ton of info floating around the internet.

At my work we've standardized around Siemens NX because it was competitive in 2005 and many of the old-timers have just gotten used to it's quirks. The UI is godawful and unintuitive for all of the CAM portions, they don't even have consistency in menu structure for operations, many menus are only opened when you click an option in a dropdown, some of which are selected by default so you'd only find it if you did one thing and went back. It's phenomenal if you have some very specific product line that you produce, (think like turbo impellers), and can contract to have a turn-key utility built to generate toolpaths, but it sucks trying to shoehorn it into a job-shop environment. The expectation is that someone off the shop floor will take 3-6 months of OTJ training to become competent, I feel like you could get to the same point in a week or two of daily Fusion use.

>> No.2425524

>>2423488
>you can do a lot with mini lathes
In soft shit like brass. Enjoy your chatter, shattered bits, extremely limited doc, and shitty surface finishes on anything harder than aluminum.

>> No.2425536

>>2425432
Look up Hobs and Skiving tools
With something like gearcutting, you most likely arent going to have to worry about much.
Its all in the tool, and the machines are obviously set up to run that tool correctly.

>what kind of stuff must I know to go there and get the job?
Everyone is hurting for warm bodies. Dont be a weirdo and youll be hired.

>> No.2425538

>>2425524
To be fair, after a lot of tweaks and upgrades and a huge amount of time and effort learning the machine you can put out some ok parts.
With that said, the whole allure of the mini lathe was the fact you could walk into Harbor Freight and pay $399 and walk out the door with it.
Now they are $800 which makes them far less of a value. They are fucking retarded to buy at this point.

>> No.2425542

>>2423224
>Would picrel be a good option for a beginner to try out the hobby?
No
It has a shorter bed, smaller swing than the infamous and ever polarizing 7" mini lathe
It does NOT have a leadscrew so you cant thread with it.
WIth the addition of a whole drill press second motor included slapped onto the saddle, its STILL LIGHTER than a standard 7" mini lathe

If you want to take the plunge with a mini lathe, there is all sorts of information about the machines pros and cons..
But you cant get away with cheaping out on the milling machine.
And combining a shitty drill press with an even more cut down mini lathe which lacks one of the main components (threadcutting) of a lathe is just a really bad idea.

Hard hard pass

>> No.2425611

>>2425536
thanks. I wish I get the job, I need the money.
I'll come back and tell you if I make it.

>> No.2425783
File: 1.87 MB, 1920x1080, not a woman's ass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2425055
>those shoulders
>those arms
>with those hands on the ends
>those hips
>that ass
>that voice
>that hairline
>that hunch
seems like romeo here hasn't seen quite as many as he'd have us believe.

>> No.2425796

>>2425783
>further cementing his point
You really are obsessed arent you?

>> No.2426216

what is the right way to quit? I'm about one bad day from packing up my toolbox and never coming back. people here have been advising me to quit for the last 2 years but I never did because I didn't think I could get another job, but at this point I can't put up with it any more even if I have to live off savings or beg my parents for help. do I type up my letter of resignation now and just wait for the last straw moment to hand it in? what do I do if they try to make concessions to keep me?

>> No.2426252

>>2425783
those square hips, def a man. women have pear shaped hips.

>> No.2426267

>>2426216
>what is the right way to quit?
Do what benefits you most.
Would giving 2 weeks and a resignation letter theoretically be beneficial to you?

Your current company isnt going to give you high praise if they were to be contacted after you quit. That shit only works in white collar offices where people up and leave routinely for different job titles.
In your shop where they have treated you like a mule, they will have nothing but spite and contempt towards you for daring to leave.

It doesnt look great to randomly quit a shop, and it looks worse to get fired.
But what does look alright is being currently employed, and going looking elsewhere.

Walk into other shops and ask to put an application in, tell them you are currently employed at a shop but have hit a wall and really eager to learn more. Say your current shop refuses to harness your initiative and you want to find a shop that will.

Nobody likes hiring retards off the streets with no experience, and no initiative or drive.
There has to be some shop near you looking for someone new, and would gladly take someone who is already currently employed and looking to learn as opposed to someone clueless.

Use your own spite to drive you to keep working under horrible conditions, till you get a new job, so you can feel the pure bliss of telling your boss on a friday afternoon to get fucked, I have a new job that starts monday.
What a wonderful weekend it will be to know your boss is fucking seething, and scrambling to replace you.
Its in your best interest to stay until you get a new job

>> No.2426269

>>2426216
you put your 2 weeks in, and they will treat you like absolute dirt for 2 weeks
they make concessions to keep you, they will work you like a fucking dog because they are paying you more
its a fucking trap, never do it

>> No.2426423

>>2426267
where do you find job postings for job shops? when I was looking before all I could find was production shops.

>> No.2426432

>>2426423
A good production shop has to be better than where you are right?

>> No.2426439

>>2426432
I don't know I figure a tool room job would be great but the only postings I did see for those wanted like 5 years experience. a operator job would make me want to kms even more than where I'm at now.

>> No.2426462

>>2426439
You dont get the highly sought after jobs unless you are an apprentice or you have experience

>> No.2426606

I'm looking at buying a used warco WM180, anyone have any experience with it? I'm mainly doing low precision marine turning

>> No.2426635

>>2426606
Don’t get too caught up in the Warco name
They are one of the many importers who puts their name and color on a Chinese machine

That particular machine is pretty popular, if you go looking you can find identical or close to identical once with other names on it. I’m sure you can find more info on it.
It’s still small, but any step up from the typical 7” mini lathe is a good thing

>> No.2426737

I have bought a small mill and I need a small vise but can't find any for cheap.
Should I make one from mild steel? How will it hold up?

>> No.2426807
File: 250 KB, 750x726, 1644560802317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2426737
>but can't find any for cheap.
>cheap

Who is gonna break the news to him?

>> No.2426811

>>2426807
Beat me to it....

>>2426737
>How will it hold up

It won't, and even if it did you'll spend more on raw stock than just buying one outright. Just get one of the $50 grinding vices that are all over eBay, you want the ones that use a cap screw set at 45°, not the ones that look like a drill press vice. Make sure you've got a plan to bolt it to the table.

Machining as a hobby will never allow you to make things cheaper than the Chinese and *generally* you will never be able to make things better quality than the Chinese. You can't compete with economy of scale, they can sell you a finished product for less than you'd pay for material. Where the hobby does have it's niche is in two areas, repair work and creating things that don't yet exist on the market, outside of that 95% of the time it will just be better to buy real equipment used or Chinese.

>> No.2426813

>>2426635
It's 1000 bong with a cabinet and a fair amount of tooling. It's imperial, but I'm not sure if that means the dials are as well? I suppose I could make new dials/leadscrews and nuts for the cross slide, but I'd rather not have to.

>> No.2426824

>>2426813
If its imperial, front to back the dials leadscrews and nuts are all going to be different.
You could literally just buy new ones from the manufacturer, but it may get costly.

>> No.2426837
File: 326 KB, 1050x1400, wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone tell me what these are? I got a bunch of them in a machinist toolbox

>> No.2426862

>>2425055
Is this really the bulge you want to die on, anon?

>> No.2426938

>>2426862
i dont spend time obsessing over ecelebs, i especially dont try to decide their gender and preferred pronouns like some weird zoomers who need their weird labels
i just find it odd people are trying to "out" every average to below average woman on the internet as being part of your troon club, when there hasnt been a single reason to believe so

>> No.2426959

I was trying to put a dead center in the spindle taper with a mt reducing sleeve, but it was showing like .035 runout on the point. the runout on the spindle bore was under .0001 and on the id of the sleeve under .0005. I put the dead center itself on a v block and spun it with my indicator on it and it only had like .001 runout. I thought maybe some dings on it were preventing it from seating right, but lightly stoning them didn't make a difference. putting the dead center in the tailstock and my indicator stuck to the chuck was showing the same problem. what could be happening? all I can think of is that the dead center is actually a b&s taper or something. it seems to wobble a little when putting it into the reducing sleeve or the tailstock, but once it's pushed in I have to whack it to get it out.

>> No.2426963

>>2426959
Did you check the ID of the sleeve in more than one area?
Check the runout in 3-4 spots going deeper into the taper each time
Could do it to the spindle too, but id guess its a old shitty sleeve.

>> No.2426968

>>2426959
Put them all together, throw on the indicator and at its highest point mark all 3 the spindle, sleeve, and dead center with a marker at 12o clock.

Pull the dead center and clock it 180degrees, and check it again.
If indicator moves significantly, you know its the center which is the problem.

If it doesnt really change the center isnt the issue.
Continue on and clock the sleeve.
If it moves signifigantly, the sleeve is the problem, if not you can deduce its the bore which is causing the major issues.

From there you have to decide what exactly the issue is

If you think the deadcenter taper isnt right, you can sharpie over the bearing surface, stick it in, remove it and see where rubbed off

>> No.2427200

>>2426938
>when there hasnt been a single reason to believe so
Cope is off the charts. It could not be more obviously a man

>> No.2427230

>>2426216
Get then next job before quitting. Never act with passion. Work is about money.

>> No.2427367

>>2427200
Anyone who isn’t a zoomer who actually lived a real life outside of the internet has seen average women who looked like her for years and years, long before trannies were a thing.
Sorry anon, you are being obsessive looking trying to find trannies where they aren’t.
Not sure what your motivation for finding and obsessing over trannies really is.

>> No.2427616

>>2427367
>average women who looked
Cope is off the charts. It could not be more obviously a man
>Not sure what your motivation for finding and obsessing over trannies really is.
Everyone on the internet tends to point out blatantly false statements. If you thought a zebra was a horse lots of people would point out your hilarious error anon, like they have done here. Your continual denial over your trivial error is actually a sign that you have an irrational obsession to defend trannies and pretend they "pass" and as a coping mechanism you project that everyone else is obsessed instead of recognizing you are the one with the obsession. I made one post ITT and you accuse me of obsession. That is a sign you probably need counseling or even therapy.

>> No.2427621

>>2427367
You could like, click on her channel page where she talks about her journey or whatever. It's not some big mystery

>> No.2427705

>>2425518
I had the suspicion that NX (and other "pro tools") aren't really that much better any more but that sounds terrible. Kind of what i expected of something with Siemens in the name though.

>>2426811
>Machining as a hobby will never allow you to make things cheaper than the Chinese
Not true. If you have access to a scrap yard you can do many things much cheaper. If you have to buy material on ebay than yes melting down chinese tools is probably cheaper than raw material. Still you can do small less material intense things cheaper. Unless you value your time, which you shouldn't if it's a hobby.

>*generally* you will never be able to make things better quality than the Chinese
I strongly disagree. Some of the chinese stuff is astonishing for the money especially those little grinding vises. I have one that's basically below 0.005mm error in every dimension for a price i definitely could not buy the material for. But most stuff is plain garbage. Even way back when i first started out and didn't know about reamers i still got better fit and finish in all the little doodads i built myself for machining like indicator holders or clamping hardware. Chinesium is often build to look like some working tool but they don't understand the function of the tool they're copying.

For me one of the most important points is being able to make better tools for the same price or at least fix dumb mistakes in chinese tooling to make it usable.

That said you always have to do a little research if it's worth it and for grinding vises it's definitely not the case. It's already a different story for the Kurt style vises i wouldn't buy those if you don't have the means to completely rework them.

>> No.2427833

>>2427616
>goes and watches random horse videos with no signs or mentions of zebras, just to obsess and try to find zebras in hiding
>gets upset people point out his obsession with zebras

>> No.2427836

>>2427621
Post screenshots of the page saying it’s a tranny, we are all waiting mr Tranny Detective.
I haven’t scoured every post, video, and page of this person trying to find any crumb to try and make assumptions with.

So if you have the evidence, I’d love to see it.

>> No.2427955

>>2423224
I paid around $2750 and got my 8000lbs lathe and a bridgeport mill with my stimulus check during the 2month shutdown.
Recently I got a surface grinder from an estate sale for $300 but it cost me $140 in gas to go get it.

>> No.2428464

>>2427833
>delusional projection proving he needs mental help
>pretends zebras can hide among horses, reinforcing his denial that trannys can pass
It's not analogous to random zebra videos, the thread is about machining and that tranny has a machining channel. The conversation randomly started via someone making a joke about the tranny, which tends to happen on the internet, and you jumped to his rescue by saying complete delusional nonsense which everyone has been pointing out but you refuse to give up defending it. The only person obsessed here is you

>> No.2428485

>>2428464
>The conversation randomly started via someone making a joke about the tranny, which tends to happen on the internet,
Very true, people are absolutely fucking obsessed with trannies and will bring them up out of nowhere.
Its this sort of weird victim complex which is extremely annoying and tiresome, which is why im telling you so.

Im not defending trannies, im making fun of YOU

>> No.2428491

>>2426837
that's a lightning link destroy this image and deny everything

>> No.2428514

>>2428485
>im making fun of YOU
by defending trannies.
For the record, I'm the one who started this all, and I still want to give a good couple squeezes to Quinn's moobs.

>> No.2428533

>>2428514
>by defending trannies.
Just realize this isnt normal
This isnt /pol/, this isnt /lgbt/, normal people dont look see an average looking woman and start scouring the videos and pages, writing dissertations on why you think its a tranny.
Normal people literally dont think about this shit.

Yet a small portion of you spend so much time and effort doing so.
Makes sense as faggots like to out each other for fun.

The biggest issues with faggots and trannies is how loud, in your face preachy and shoving shit down your throat they are.
Yet here we are, a supposed tranny that does none of those things.

Good thing we have the likes of YOU in the wings to shove that garbage down our throats anyways.

Maybe we should defend the trannies that shut the fuck up about their mental illness, but maybe thats futile because you with your mental illness with be right there anyways.

>> No.2428550

>>2428533
Whatever. Didn't read.

By your own admission, you're either using defending trannies as a way to "make fun of" someone else, which makes you disingenuous and a liar; or, you actually like trannies and want to white knight for them, in which case you're a faggot.
Me? I just want to hang out with Quinn on a Saturday, maybe change the spark plugs in my lawnmower, maybe struggle to mill some aluminum on his chinkshit mill, and be like
>hey quinn
>can i, you know, give 'em a little squeeze?
And then go fishing or something.

>> No.2428556

>>2428550
>Whatever. Didn't read.
I wouldnt expect someone of your ilk to read, or comprehend much of anything.
Too busy obsessing about cock

>> No.2428571

>>2428556
You're the one talking about cocks.
Me? I'm a fan of tits, and am somewhat curious how moobs would compare. It's got to be a shitty knock-off, right? Like store-brand cola or something.
But sometimes store-brand cola can surprise you. Like Our Family brand* Root Beer, which makes a noticeably decent root beer float. And it's still only like a dollar for a 3 Liter jug of the shit! That and some Our Family plain vanilla ice cream (not the kind with the beans still in it) and you're styling.

*Our Family is, I think, what they started calling the Spartan brand stuff, which was, I think, exclusive to Kroger and Kroger affiliates, so it's probably regional. But whatever store brand you have near you, I highly recommend getting the root beer and having a float. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

>> No.2428594

can you faggots stop posting about trannies? You're majorly shitting up the thread. this is a machinist thread. No machinist I know even cares about trannies let alone talks about them

>> No.2428620

>>2428485
This is the most ridiculous projection of I've ever seen. I'm almost tempted to find that trannys transition story video and watch you pretend like it never mattered, but again I dont care. I dont have a delusion based obsession like you do.

>> No.2428653

/emt/- eternally malding trannies

>> No.2428865

>>2427955
Sounds like you got a great deal. I see stuff like that once in a while, and it's obviously stupid kids selling of their dead grandpa's mill and lifetime supply of tooling. It gives me a /diy/ stuffy, but I have zero room for that right now. The garage is too small for the existing equipment.

>> No.2429202

>>2428865
Just DIY a bigger garage. Duh

>> No.2429226

>>2429202
My master plan is actually coming to fruition. I've been helping my wife grow her business to the point where she's the one griping about the size of the garage and it's now a tax write off.

>> No.2429972

>>2428865
If you don't live in HOAland a forty-foot High Cube makes a dandy machine shop that's rugged and keeps out critters. More HCs are easy to weld on. Besides mine I helped build my bros (which is nicer and insulated inside with a mini-split so he's comfy and cool during the hottest weather). The internal tiedown loops are great for hanging self-fabbed steel shelves for tooling etc as they hold thousands of lbs, and you can rig to them to help lift shelving or move machines when working solo.

While my containers and steelmaster building are separate it's easy to integrate them as many do.

>> No.2429981

>>2429972
is it loud? i feel like id go deaf working in one of those

>> No.2430197

>>2426606
At a glance, that looks really similar to a Grizzly G0768, which is an 8x16" step up from a mini lathe. Check how hard it is to use or add a cross side and carriage lock.

>> No.2430532

>>2426606
pretty much identical to those Proxxon mini lathes you get here in germany all the time
same formfactor and general appearance, not quite garbage, but close

Only get it if it's like 250 or something and it's literally for playing around

otherwise save the money for a proper one, see >>2423229

whenever I look for anything of that sort, be it machines or tooling, I use maschinensucher.de (strictly for central europe)
I can get used proper lathes from the 70s, 80s for ~2000 € there, example:
https://www.maschinensucher.de/weiler-md+260%2F38/i-7270110

pretty sure you have something comparable in burgerland

good luck

>> No.2431409

WTF
I just interviewed at a place, and their largest mill is kind of not recognizable as a machine. It's like an installation, like the building itself.
The guy said the travel on it is 62ft x, 29ft y, 23ft z.

>> No.2431421

Is there really any benefit to using coated tooling (router "endmills" in this case) for cutting/machining polycarbonate/acrylic? Supplier keeps suggesting these "new" (they have the same geometry as the prior series) bits coated with something like AlTiSiN or DLC (rainbow looking before use). I thought that really only has benefits for cutting metal but maybe I'm wrong?

>> No.2432060

Today at work I took a Somet 75-100 micrometer for a job,I inspected it with a 75mm gauge rod and it was spot on, but the 100mm rod showed 0.3 mm less than it should. If I calibrate it to be at 0 at 100mm then the 75mm measurement is 0.3mm off
Is the screw fucked or can this be adjusted?

>> No.2432069

>>2431421
I'd say every coating makes the endmill less sharp so no. Maybe you get some benefits from reduced friction i don't know. I'd rather have an uncoated highly polished tool. Just try them out. If they give you the finish you need they may last a little longer and coatings aren't that expensive in my experience.

>>2432060
Hard to tell from a distance but it sounds like someone has used it as a C clamp in the past. Check the rods against some other standard if you can. 0.3mm is a lot though. You should be able to detect if there is a "jump" somewhere in the range even with calipers. You can adjust backlash but if you measure both positions from the same side it doesn't matter.

If you closed up on one rod and opened up until the other goes through it might indeed be backlash though.

>> No.2432345
File: 24 KB, 602x400, anodizing-aluminum-parts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any good options for DIY aluminum coatings other than anodizing? I'm looking for a hard finish to reduce scratches but don't wanna bother with the anodizing setup. Looking for something pretty thin so it doesn't mess up my dimensions too bad.

>> No.2432434

>>2432345
paint I guess

>> No.2432450

>>2432345
Cerakote and other stuff from the gun world.

>> No.2433395

where do you get electrical enclosures? tired of having my VFDs sit on a stool next to the mill with wires hanging their weight on their connections
electrical companies seem to want $200 for an appropriately sized sheet metal box (NEMA 1) with gland connectors, why lmao

>> No.2433612

>>2428550
Just go to church or any other place with older people and you will find hundreds of "trannies". Just fucking accept that not every women look like pornstar, some of them aren't pretty.

>> No.2433615

>>2428550
>I just want to hang out with Quinn on a Saturday
This. Don't care what's under the hood if I'm not planning on sleeping with someone. Quinn just seems like they'd be cool, and not make a big deal of it either way.

>> No.2433652
File: 350 KB, 1560x2080, 3018_Super.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wooo cutting some chips on my CNC

cutting stainless and aluminum tonight

>> No.2433673

>>2433652
Actually cutting or just making loud rattle while putting dents into the metal? The Z axis combined with the spindle looks particularly wobbly to me.

>> No.2433679
File: 2.17 MB, 320x240, SS_4B.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2433673

Bzzrt cutting that stainless....

>> No.2433683

>>2433679
Do you only have two sliding blocks per axis? I was looking into doing something like that once but eventually decided against it out of rigidity concerns

>> No.2433687

>>2433683
Physically impossible to cut steel more than once accurately on a machine like this. LITERALLY physically impossible, Due to the law of physics

>> No.2433689

>>2431409
Viper?

>> No.2433691

>>2433679
no coolant, bye bye end mill you will not be missed

>> No.2433701
File: 3.08 MB, 4160x3120, 14MM_Hex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2433683

so I goofed on the Z-axis. i only have one bearing block.... but it is a 70mm tall by 40mm Wide block.... I was price comparing linear rails on amazon and wasnt paying attention and got a pair of 200mm rails with a 12mm track and 4 70mmx40mm bearing blocks. so the Z-axis only has one huge bearing block. the X-axis has 2 bearing blocks 40mmx20mm per rail.. the Y-axis is largely left stock for now...

Despite how it looks it is super rigid for what I can cut with nema 17's also some home I got it dialed in accurate as well.....

>> No.2433706
File: 2.29 MB, 2637x3945, Discs_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2433687

It is all in how it is put together anon.. just believe...

>> No.2433754

is it expensive to have a part made out of cast iron?

>> No.2433771

>>2433706
If i believe, can I too cut incredibly shitty hexagons into 1mm thick disks?

>> No.2433795

>>2433706
Ohh. Why? Or was this just an odd setup /precision test?

>> No.2433912

>>2433771

2mm SS304 disc anon accurately on 16 discs.... Because you believed..thanks anon

>> No.2433913

>>2433795
Yeah making parts for testing... Kinda testing out my desktop CNC cutter. It's nice and "quieter" in its box...

>> No.2433988
File: 1.61 MB, 4032x3024, PICT0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

its so beautiful

>> No.2433990
File: 1.03 MB, 4032x3024, PICT0002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2433988

Just a small bit of filing and it slides on tight

>> No.2434127

>>2430532
I got a Myford Super 7, paid a grand and it has a vertical slide and 3 chucks. The first one I used slipped when I tried to centre drill a test piece so I think it might be fucked

>> No.2434142

>>2434127
Another anon here.

A grand for a Super 7 sounds like a good deal, I remember super 7s going for more.

Is the lathe itself in good condition at least?

>> No.2434163

>>2433687
>the law of physics
>there is only one law of physics

>> No.2434208

>>2423430
Been in the trade 4 years, making just under 20 per hour as someone who can take a print and material and select some tooling and make the machine go brrrrr. I've got 6 kids and we're always just a hair away from broke. Take from that what you will.

>> No.2434213

>>2434208
are you manual or cnc? how long did it take you to get a job for non-retards?

>> No.2434220

>>2434213
Cnc. I took a 4k class and got a job as an office manager at a family owned plant making 30k per year. Decided I hated working in the office and they put me on the floor making parts on proven programs at $14.5 per hour for about a year and a half. Moved to another area and got several raises in a year because I could work and learn. I am one of the handful of non retard operators at my current shop. They will hand me a print and some material and show me a machine to make it on and I'll make it go.
Like I said, we are constantly a cunts hair away from broke right now, but minus the 6 kids you might have a much better outlook.

>> No.2434397

Against my better judgment I ran a rigid tapping cycle in grade 2 Ti today. I was agonizing about it for a while, deciding which tap to use, whether to run with coolant, or to slather it with oil; knowing that machine tapping titanium can be a nightmare if the process isn't refined.
Talked to my supervisor and he was in favor of giving it a shot, as opposed to doing it by hand or putting together a threadmilling routine. After all, it is a fairly old program, surely it would have been revised if issues were known. Decided on cutting with oil because the coolant is lean. Tap has a spiral point, and slightly spiraled flutes, with what I believe is a TiCN coating.
Ran the first hole and it looked about right, if a bit crusty. A screw threaded in about half way, felt like a sloppy fit, figured some chips were left behind it could just be cleaned out by hand. The tap though was galled to shit, flutes completely impacted with metal. Instead of driving the chip out the bottom of the hole they just ended up getting mushed together and stayed there during the revere and retract, which apparently smeared and displaced enough material for the "no-go" side of a 2B gauge to thread all the way through with little effort. On closer inspection I noticed that the face surrounding the hole had bulged upward slightly.
Thankfully it's a fairly inconsequential feature that probably won't even be used, so it might not be scrapped, but engineering will have to take a look and make a lot of paperwork.

Any similar experiences, tips, or whatever? The surface footage was really modest. One thing I was worried about was the coating, from what I'm finding, TiCN can gall in Ti, but it isn't a major concern. I wanted to use a bright finish tap, but I couldn't find a fresh one, just one that had been rattling around in a drawer for who knows how long. I don't think I can be held responsible for this, seeing as I ran the program as received, but it's embarrassing.

>> No.2434433

>>2431409
What's the product?
Must be built really heavy to maintain rigidity over those long travels.
We have a gantry mill that's probably something like 60'x10'x8" and some vertical lathes with 100" tables, two stories high, which blew me away when I started, but that's something else. My frame of reference was based on knee mills and little Haas machines, so it was a exciting and bit intimidating to see tools so massive and foreign.

>> No.2434456

it's been about a year since my machine shop died.

got a job as a software engineer couple weeks ago, what toy should I buy so I can keep manufacturing things?

one of those fancy carbon fiber printers?

>> No.2434460

>>2434456
were you the guy with the mazak? get one of those benchtop waterjets.

>> No.2434463

>>2434460
Mori

>> No.2434484

>>2434142
The lathe is pretty immaculate, I haven't bolted it down properly, I need to clear some junk out first. So I can't comment on accuracy yet, most of what I'll be doing is making sheaves and things like that so I'm not too concerned about accuracy

>> No.2434603
File: 24 KB, 450x450, 71DB3XLNYvL._AC_SS450_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2434605
File: 648 KB, 1350x1800, 0-02-05-263c04c07947ed89854891318fb6c7889fd57e0ff812f722aa76c62276f04058_ed9c577330afb90f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2434603
I'm having problems posting
>>2426811
You're talking garbage, I have plenty of mild steel plate scraps laying around that don't cost me anything. I work as a machinist and I have access to a bigger mill and a surface grinder at work so it's not exactly like it's going to cost me anything but my time and I'm going to make it accurately
What I'm not sure about is if the mild steel is going to deform over time under the clamping pressure. If I had hardenable steel I'd make it out of that since I have a large heat treatment oven, but I don't
I was going to buy pic related vise which is 100mm across and costs 80 euro and I was going to grind all the surfaces flat but it's not available in this country because politics

Also pic related is the mill I bought

>> No.2434869

>>2434397
If the flutes are straight, chips will go through the hole, if the flutes are spiraled, chips will climb out of the entry hole.
To the thread being fucked I can say check drillsize, feedrate and tap. I personally encountered something similar when tapping with a M14x1,50 tap and the feedrate was 1,75. No go gauge fit barely and material puckered out from the hole.
Your tap could be the wrong type, not cutting but forming. Those require a slightly bigger hole.

>> No.2434881

>>2434456
Machine shops die often while single specialty outfits who do what general shops do not get the stuff they don't want to invest in.

Then they generate work for you and if they fail their replacement generates work for you. Your local and "in reasonable shipping distance" market determines what sells. Our local EDM guy makes bank and keeps adding machines. Local machine shops are maxed out and turning down work so he has plenty.

>> No.2434883

>>2434605
Given your job you could make glorious workholding accessories and measure then copy any standard tooling you like.

Worth noting is since the "rigidity" of that small knee mill is not at all dependent on the floor you could fab a frame with locking casters or use downward-facing angle if you already own a pallet jack. Make everything easily mobile and it pays off for life as you get more equipment, rearrange your workspace or just want easy cleanup.

I see a MIG feeder in the background so fabbing is clearly not a problem. Creative (steel) storage and shelving pay off immediately and you've everything to make it happen. A key error I often see is not making one's life as easy therefore productive as practical.

Is that a CO2 fire extinguisher repurposed as a MIG shielding gas cylinder or just a red (unusual in burgerland) standard cylinder?

>> No.2434884

>>2434605
Is that piece mounted to the top dovetail a placeholder for a dovetail mill ram used on other models?

>> No.2434897
File: 162 KB, 800x1060, wtf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic is the chinese copy version of a made in USA ruler I have. Notice the marking line for .010 inch is backed off from the edge slightly.
On mine, the mark for .010 is literally touching the edge of the ruler. The engraved line itself is intended to be .010", it says so in the instructions.
The funny thing is MY instructions also say to measure from the bottom of the line! Did the chinese just copy it based on the instructions and end up with the lines spaced .010 off the edge? So you can measure from the other side of them? What the fuck is going on here?

>> No.2434911
File: 119 KB, 1599x1065, H&K.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2434883
The cylinder is a repurposed 7kg fire extinguisher for CO2 gas that I use for welding. I have 2 of these cylinders
My problem is that I've crammed and incredible amount of tooling in a very small shed and I keep spending money on more tools but not on the space I need to work with them. I need to build a workshop as soon as possible, I don't even have space to fabricate anything anymore. I live in a small town that is built on hills and there isn't a flat surface anywhere, it's going to cost me a lot of money just to make my backyard flat
>>2434884
The dovetail piece extends to hold a horizontal milling attachment with arbor which I don't have. You can see it on pic related on the right
This mill has hydraulic feeds but I have removed them and converted to manual because the hydraulic unit like the one in pic has had all its electronics ripped out and is in a very sorry state and I'm not going to mess with it for now
I bought this mill from my employer for 250 euro, it's been sitting outside for years and it was all rusted because they didn't need it. After cleaning it showed no signs of wear, it has barely been used. I think it's a very good machine to have for small jobs, especially toolmaking

>> No.2434935

>>2423229
I just want to do some hobbyist stuff and besides I live in the third world so often shipping is even more expensive than the machines themselves.
Is there something I can improvise with a 1 HP motor and a lathe chuck?

>> No.2434996

Fucking widia is shit. Cnmg 432 inserts don't last at 900sfm, .25" doc, 0.025"/rev in 1030 steel, I could be going faster with sandvik but nooooooooo cheap bastards.

>> No.2435014

>>2434911
If you can get creative with storage the upper regions of walls and (if not too low) ceiling can hold all sorts of things. For example I torch bent round bar hooks to hold heavy duty shelves I fabbed from angle to the tiedown loops of my shipping container roof. I collect steel scrap to get heavier stuff, slice off what I don't want and pile it outdoors since weather doesn't hurt it.
If you can use a structure with (for example) a poured post foundation that does not require a level yard at all, just four corner posts/piles or more depending on your structure. That could let you avoid excessive grading. My 40' High Cubes sit atop horizontal steel beams on a railroad gravel (handy because I had a truck brought in for the base of my other shop) and make a dandy home machine shop for the same reasons they're used by the military. Since you weld you can save money and repair damaged containers if you can score them. I despise wood (flammable, weak, termites) so containers serve me well and a dehumidifier protects my equipment. Their design makes internal rigging and machine tool movement easy. Self and bro helped build each others shops and my other bro liked mine so much he bought two 20s and one 40' High Cube (you want the extra height!) to store his classic cars. While not as strong a dry van trailer can make good storage. If you can score a reefer body (or container) they're already insulated but tend to be expensive.

>> No.2435112

Hello inconel my old friend
I've come to cut you up again
because of inserts quickly wearing
left the surface a work-hardening
and the spaaaarks, that were burning in my lathe
still remains
within the screams
of chatter.

in evening shifts I code alone
messy program, not my own
'neath the swinging of a two ton crane
I turned my apron to the coolant spray
when my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a warning light
ruined my night
within the screams
of chatter.

And in the blinking light I saw
ten thousand errors, maybe more
faulty codes without reasoning
troubleshooting manual was missing
message showing looooogs, that millwrights never shared
no one dared
disturb the screams
of chatter.

"Fools" said I, you do not know
chatter like a cancer grows
please just buy the fancy de-vibe tools
what's another couple grand for you?
but with inflation, it's mooooore like an easy ten...

request denied
in screams
of chatter.

>> No.2435171

>>2435014
Im in eastern europe, we are dirt poor
After years of slaving away my skills im still dirt poor with no hope of improving

>> No.2435336 [DELETED] 

>>2434220
dude you are getting fleeced if you live in a high COL area... I make a bit over 20$ and I've worked for less than a year at my current employer.

>> No.2435827

>>2435112
> EDM Chad enters

>> No.2436056
File: 320 KB, 1560x2080, Cutting mild steel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cutting Dat steel like a boss

>> No.2436070
File: 204 KB, 1009x856, Mild_steel_cuttime_1MM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2436056

que final fantasy victory music

>> No.2436150
File: 3.17 MB, 4032x3024, PXL_20210903_024104713.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2424898
Not him but fuck you I do what I want with my quality milling machine: harbor freight drill press and a chink cross slide vise. End mill chucked in a three point chuck by the fist of the north star.
feedrate: slow
tolerances: met
surface finish: trash
did it work? yes

>> No.2436170

>>2435336
this
I started at $21 in a low cost of living area and after 6 months now I'm up to $25 and that's still basically nothing

>> No.2436173

>>2434220

If you're making under 20 an hour with six kids after working a job for 4 years you can also count yourself a retard

>> No.2436215
File: 1.18 MB, 1601x898, lathe_cart-e1488414557581.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anyone done this setup with their mini lathe?

>> No.2436221

>>2436170
I started at $20 in a high cost of living area and I'm only up to $21 after 3 years

>> No.2436223

>>2436221
That's rough, bud

>> No.2436227

>>2436221
wtf are all these pays, go into a different fucking career
I started in my field at $44 and am now 8 months later at $52
and when your bosses' shop closes down because he doesn't want to pay people, tell him I'll buy the machines at scrap price

>> No.2436228

>>2436227
and what field is that?

>> No.2436229

>>2434869
All the obvious factors looked right. Hole was just about perfectly on size. The only thing that wasn't to print was the countersink, which was undersized. I was mistaken about the tap; for some reason I thought it was a spiral point, with reverse spiraled flutes, to push the chips through the hole, but it was a right hand spiral. Definitely a cutting tap though. Not the first choice through a through hole, but there's no reason for it not to work. The chips were just mashed into the flutes instead of flowing up the flutes. The thought that the spindle and Z axis were out of sync crossed my mind, so I'm looking to try tapping a piece of scrap to check.
>>2436150
Speaking from experience, you will likely end up with the chuck slipping off its taper. You can just slam it back on afterwards, but either male or female tapers will likely end up getting gouged or scratched if it happens again and again. Not a big deal with a disposable tool desu.

>> No.2436249

>>2436229
you can just superglue the chuck into the arbor like AvE did
weld it in or use epoxy though, i think his superglue thing was a joke

>> No.2436440

How the fuck am I supposed to afford tools on apprentice wages
A micrometer set or dial indicator+mag base easily burns through my entire paycheck
I don't want to borrow stuff from coworkers all the time

>> No.2436445

>>2423224
>1000k bux
Might as well build yourself.

>> No.2436448

>>2436440
By building it yourself.

>> No.2436522

>>2436440
ebay, or a scraper site like this one, sometimes auction sites list tooling and measuring insturments in bulk
https://troutunderground.com/12/Indicators-Indicator-Machinist/

>> No.2436523

>>2436221
well how much PTO do you get? I still make 20$ per hour, but I have 4 weeks PTO.
401k match, medical, dental, vision, and accidental death and dismemberment for free.

>> No.2436606

>>2436227
> I made 90k with no experience
> Less than 1 year later I'm at 108k
Stop larping.

>> No.2436652

>>2436606
This lol
The fucking Kennedy Space Center doesn't even pay that much to their machinists

>> No.2436671
File: 268 KB, 474x355, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2436215
I think Blondihacks has his set up on a rolling toolbox or something.
I still want to give his jugs a good squeeze. Just to, you know, know.

>> No.2436683

>>2436671
please keep posts about this person in >>>/trash/ where it belongs.
had enough with people arguing over them, when nobody gives a shit about them.

>> No.2436691
File: 253 KB, 399x399, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2436683
>using preferred pronouns
>trying to act above quinnposting
Just admit you'd give 'em a little squeeze or two, too, and we can move on.

>> No.2436768

>>2436523
I get 17 piad days off a year, but I work 45 hours a week and only get paid for 40 so I still end up behind. also zero benefits not even workers comp for the two times I got injured although one was my fault for being stupid. I have finally accepted that I am getting majorly screwed and will be looking for a new job so I can quit soon.

>> No.2436845

>>2423224
If you're just trying out the hobby, you don't have to buy such expensive equipment. Get a dremel/drill/saw with the metal cutting attachments/blades/bits and a set of clamps. Practice shaping metal with those tools. If you feel like you could really enjoy this, move on to specialized equipment.

>> No.2436846

>>2436606
>>2436652
not a machinist, i do computers (barely any experience there either when i started)
just here to tell you that you can literally double your pay moving to a more abstract kind of work, even if making things is cooler

>> No.2436858

>>2436846
>Basically software engineering.
Makes sense. They get good pay.

While I made more money when I was at McDonald's.

>> No.2436882

>>2434897
hello?

>> No.2436884

>>2423430
No. I make $17.50 ($16.50 + 3rd shift bonus) while fast foodies make more than me nowadays.
Minimum wage is $16.04.

>> No.2436955

>>2436846
I would never program for a living, object oriented programing is horrible, and killed all passion I had for coding when they started pushing it on us in my HS comp-sci class.
which was sad, because before that I was coding functional base-converters on school calculators in TI-basic for fun.
And made several games for friends over the years.
I am expecting to get promoted to premium machinist at my current job, with a substantial raise, and if not, I will find another place to work.
My last raise was a slap in the face for the work I put in... something like 0.41% for the 7 months I had been working.
And this was after they didn't do my 90 day review.
At the last all hands meeting, I wasn't even on the board for "new employees this year"
At least the people I work with are so good that it makes up for practically all of it. But yeah.. if my next raise isn't something like 20% I'm gone.

>> No.2436960

>>2436858
kind of software engineering, but without all the buzzwords front-end people use. my point is i had barely a few months of self-taught projects under my belt when i got hired. you can make it.
>>2436955
functional programming is a thing, there are people that get paid (very well) to do haskell all day. there's also none of the gay shit that comes with front-end work (polishing the code a lot and using 100 apps with dumb names to push it through a proprietary pipeline). it's just that the wages in these threads kill me, considering how much skill you need to be a machinist

>> No.2437121

>>2436960
it's because the wage-slave drivers don't understand the difference between button pushers, and people capable of doing programing, setup, and production.
and unfortunately with good enough machines, a lot of the skills can be bypassed.

>> No.2437554
File: 78 KB, 463x375, Screenshot_20220729_121209.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this chuck a good alternative for a hobbyist, makeshift lathe?
I plan to stick this to a 1/2 HP motor and do stuff.
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32975891540.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.775f2439lu7MKH&algo_pvid=c47de138-285f-411a-8851-dcbda882451d&algo_exp_id=c47de138-285f-411a-8851-dcbda882451d-5&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2266645151932%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21CLP%21%2156810.0%21%21%2117547.0%21%21%402103255a16591110220431585eeb2d%2166645151932%21sea

>> No.2437559

got a 2 dollar raise to 38 bucks lads. feels good. alot of shops behind me i had to leave because they didnt pay well enough or i wasnt learning anything but ur toolchest has wheels for a reason, dont forget it.

>> No.2437759

I fucked up a bunch of parts today and feel like a fucking idiot

>> No.2437807

>>2437554
HBM has a sale right now it probably doesn't get any cheaper than 30€:

https://www.hbm-machines.com/de/p/hbm-independent-4-spannfutter-fr-die-hbm-180-x-300-metalldrehmaschine-mit-digitalanzeige

I have one of those like you posted in 100mm. It's actually quite accurate but chinese tools are hit and miss. Sometimes the jaws have a terrible fit. At least you can adjust the runout anyway.

As to the plan to just stick it on a motor: It won't work well unless you plan on only using wood. The bearings in a motor are just not suited as a lathe spindle. You're better of with a used near scrap lathe. Mechanics lathes without a leadscrew are sometimes sold very cheap like 100-200€. You'll need some kind of lathe bed and holder for the spindle/motor anyway so a makeshift lathe won't be any cheaper.

>>2437559
Good for you man. I cringe everytime i see job offers with apprenticeship as requirement for less pay than i got as a student assistant. Happens way too often.

>> No.2438052

Can i realistically get a CNC lathe and mill for 25k a piece? what is the hierarchy of manufacturers when it comes to CNC machines

>> No.2438058

>>2434208
>Take from that what you will.
That you need to go out and look for a new job?

Starting for a button pusher machine operator is currently $23 (and that is negotiable up depending on your experience). Sounds like your current place is just shit.

>> No.2438061

>>2434605
Make bolt on jaws that are hardened. A Kurt is cast iron. Not exactly the hardest thing in the world. But the jaws aren't (and the screw I guess but that isn't relevant).

>> No.2438068

>>2437807
i've always wondered why some hobby lathes spindles aren't just direct in line with the motor, using a large hefty motor with upgraded bearings. you couldn't have a through-hole in the spindle, but it would probably be cheaper than a dedicated head housing, all you'd need is a bed and variable speed control on the motor

>> No.2438072

>>2438052
They'd have to be used. Only old machines I've seen still used in industries have been Haas and Fadal mills, Moriseiki and Hardinge lathes. You can probably find some for 15K each, use the other 10k each for transportation, repair etc.

>> No.2438075
File: 20 KB, 480x480, 1655098575973.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2436846
>I do compooters
So Daddy pays you 90k to sit in an office? Nice man

>> No.2438076

>>2438068
Low torque at all speeds, (no geardown)
Custom motor with special spindle bearing housing,
Hard to implement screw cutting and power feed. All kinds of rpm mismatch.
You can have a small wood lathe though.

>> No.2438297
File: 1.82 MB, 4160x3120, IMG_20220730_161829066.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I did this repair today but I don't know how solid it is. someone had fucked up this bracket by way oversizing the clearance hole for one of the mounting screws and forcing an oval head into it instead of a cap screw. I reamed the existing hole out and pressed a plug in with a .0007 interference and loctite 609. then I redrilled and counterbored the screw hole for a new cap screw. there's still the other screw and it's only holding up a couple ounces, but I guess the repair is only as strong as the forces holding the bushing in.

>>2438052
the school I went to sold a slightly broken 90s hwacheon lathe and mitsubishi mill for $100 each.

>> No.2438298
File: 1.60 MB, 4160x3120, IMG_20220730_162022178_HDR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here it is back in service

>> No.2438311

not sure if this is really the thread, but I'm building a rifle, and the barrel I bought is unfinished steel. I'm thinking about ways to protect the inside of the barrel from corrosion and shit.
the best option would be ferritic nitrocarburizing. traditionally it's done with a molten cyanide or cyanate salt which is not great, but I found a paper
>https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clet.2021.100169
achieving good results with molten potassium nitrate and potassium chloride. they did it in a kiln at 650C. I don't have a kiln, but I have a grill. the grill is gas and I don't think natural gas gets hot enough but I could put like a tray of charcoal in it, since charcoal gets hot as all fuck. maybe with a blower too I dunno. then weld up a rectangular steel tub to hold the salt, put that over the charcoal, and maybe it'll get hot enough. using the density of molten KNO3, I'd need about 5-6 kilos of it, which is like 40$ or something.
surface prep is important. I assume the surface is already pretty smooth since it's been rifled and what not. this seems within the realm of "possible".
the other option that I can think of is rust bluing the barrel, with an acid soak and then boiling. again I'd have to make a steel vessel, but it would be easier to heat. gun barrels used to be blued in the past, and I figure it's better than just leaving the raw steel, but I don't know if it would stand up to firing or if it would just be eroded instantly.
any ideas on what I ought to do?

>> No.2438326

>>2438297
yeah, ive heard of machine shops literally throwing away 20 thousand dollar machines, i want to make a business out of finding all those in the country and reselling them but the logistics of it is too difficult

>> No.2438339

>>2438311
Chrome electroplating is the first thing that comes to mind, but that might break your diameter tolerance.

>> No.2438349

>>2438311
normal nitriding is apparently done at 700-1076 degrees F which is 371-580 C. the annealing temperature of 4140 steel is 750 C. 650 is probably close enough to that to make a concern about ruining the heat treatment, especially if you are doing it with an uncontrolled heat source that might have hot spots. I don't think I would want anything to do with a container of molten salt big enough to fit a barrel into anyway. normal rust bluing with cover the outside, but not the inside since you have to rub the solution on. fume type rust bluing might get the inside, but like you said it would just rub off as soon as you shoot though it. chrome plating rifling requires a special process to ensure that it is applied evenly and also involves starting with an oversize bore. basically your only options are bluing/painting the outside and just running an oiled patch down the bore every time you use it or trading your blank in for a 416r one, but even then you want to keep it oiled.

>> No.2438357

>>2435827
EDM 6" diameter internal left hand buttress with a 5.75 stub acme right hand directly in front of it, with internal grooves after all that mess, you filthy casual

>jk I love weird prototype oilfield parts in inconel they're fun and the song I wrote was mostly in jest

>> No.2438372

>>2438339
>>2438349
cheers dudes. I didn't really think about the heat treatment thing, yeah that might definitely be an issue especially with lack of fine temperature control. plus I don't really know what I'd do with 5 kilos of potassium nitrate after I used it. realistically maybe just keeping it oiled and what not is fine, and if it goes to shit I could just buy a nicer one next time, the barrel was only 150$ or whatever.
with respect to bluing, I was planning on doing an acid bath, then putting it in boiling water, so there would be a black oxide coating all over. no need to rub anything. I was hoping that maybe the oxide would be durable enough to not get instantly eroded when firing, and then it would at least be better then leaving the inside totally untreated. but I don't know if that's the case

>> No.2438409

>>2438372
Your local machine shop can heat treat parts for you in their oven. No shame in outsourcing that if control is wanted.

>> No.2438421

>>2438372
an acid bath will just corrode your shit. there are 3 basic types of rust bluing. express rust blue which has you rub a solution on, wait a few minutes for fine rust to develop, and then boil it to turn it black, slow rust bluing which uses a solution of nitric and hydrochloric acid and then you put the part in a warm humid box for hours/days and then boil it, and fume rust bluing which has you put it in a box with fuming acid and then boiling it.

>> No.2438442

>>2438421
yeah. rust bluing. coat it or soak it, whatever. the acid rusts the steel. then you put it in boiling water and hey presto, your Fe2O3 is now Fe2O4

>> No.2438704

>>2438075
100k with a raise i just got, work from home actually, and no i do ML research. not worth mentioning here though, so yes i do computers

i'm just trying to save 20 somethings who think this dying career is worth making peanuts under some retard boomer for. it's great as a hobby or side business, but on average it seems worse than being a waiter if you actually work for someone. no need to be salty, get out while you can

>> No.2438802

>>2438704
I am that 20 something working on CNC for peanuts. payment isn't good and coworkers are all at the age of my parents if not older, but overall good people and I grew to like the technical environment. I am not going to stay there for more than a year or two until I start uni, but it's a nice experience overall.

Also does anyone know any good tutorials for CMM? Specifically Pas

>> No.2438840

>>2438704
DId you have to get a degree? how can any machinist go into doing that?

>> No.2438867

>>2438704
For what possible reason did you think anyone in here would care about what you make in your entirely different choice of career?
If I ever wanted to go into fucking machine learning, I'd have majored in it. moron.
waiters don't get fucking 4 weeks PTO, 401k match, medical, dental, vision and stock options like I do.
Nor is there any fucking career growth as a waiter.
And since you clearly aren't a career advisor, you'd do well to stick in your own damn lane.
respectfully

>> No.2438873

What is the best way to learn drafting/programming on your own time? a lot of these softwares have eligibility requirements.

>> No.2438878

>>2438873
I torrent any soft I like then run it in a VM (comfiest) or on a spare cumpyuter. I've not paid for soft since PartitionMagic 4.0 was new and so was I.

>> No.2438883

>>2438878
Why the VM or spare?

>> No.2438888

>>2438802
shit position but good attitude, use it for what it's good for

>>2438867
the multiple people that are complaining about being stuck at $20 or less per hour doing hard shit seem to care, friend

read my posts, i didn't major in any of this shit either, that is my whole entire fucking point. you can get out of the rat trap. the same way you can get into machining without experience, you can with high-brow white collar jobs, you may just need to sell better and do some side projects. the benefits you listed are incredibly mundane and standard in almost any other career, plus those other careers actually pay a living wage.

>> No.2438908
File: 19 KB, 600x646, very good.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm finally getting back into machining after a year of retail. it is daunting, but i think i can handle it. i'm getting into a shop that has ~13m in contracts lined up, it feels fucking awesome to know in a week or so i'll be behind the bridgeport again and out of the fucking wage cage grinder i've been at.

that being said, i do have a couple of questions. what's the best way to get some chinkshit drills/taps so i'm not walking in totally empty handed on tools? i have calipers and a 0-1" mic already, and i filled a toolbox with hazard fraught hand tools (deadblow, some files, air gun etc.) but i didn't want to spend $20 on a drill index that may/may not be enough.

i don't expect to have a whole shop's worth of tools in my box. just some basic and common shit in sizes that make sense (some 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" etc.) at a reasonable price. ordering piecemeal off amazon looks like it would be a bit expensive, getting a ton of shitty harbor freight indexes looks more expensive and wasteful. any advice?

>> No.2438910

>>2438908
What the hell, US machinists need to pay for consumables out of pocket?

There should be a shop programming nazi that comes and hits you with a rolled up newspaper for not using the right carbide cutter from the right manufacturer because you're gonna fuck up his program.

>> No.2438912

>>2438910
>What the hell, US machinists need to pay for consumables out of pocket?
Only if you work for Cletus's job shop

>> No.2438915

>>2438910
we don't need to, but it's generally accepted that you have *some* of your own tools. it's considered a specialty thing, people build up their tooling repertoire over years. you're also expected to use your own tooling if you want to do your own home or personal projects. it's also somewhat of a measure of good faith to the new shop, "i am prepared to work and i am putting some of my own money on the line to get the job done".
>>2438912
this was my first job in the field. it was out in bumfuck nowhere maine, and while everyone was *very* nice and even more skilled, it was a shoestring budget (no 3 phase power, everything was converted from normal house mains voltage, extremely old tooling from previous shop owners, literally sold off all the old carbide tooling and some carbide scrap to make ends meet presumably). everyone had some of their own tools, we would end up sharing each other's tools. i of course never had the chance to get any of my own, because i got laid off a little more than a quarter after i was hired. still thankful for the opportunity, i learned a lot, but i didn't work up any tooling or measurement equipment.

>> No.2438934

Does CAD automatically translate into runnable G code? and if so has it largely taken over conversational and manual programming? also do machines from the 90s still run the same file types used today?

>> No.2438946

>>2438934
>yes
>kind of
>absolutely not

CAD programs generally take drawings and convert them into G-code after a *considerable* amount of effort by the programmer. it's not like a 3d printing slicer where literally all of the tool motions are a given, there needs to be a human who decides what tools are used and how. once that's all figured out, yes, the computer translates the cuts and tool input into usable G-code.

as for your second question, manual programming is still used by smaller shops and MDI is almost universally used to fix errors at the controller level. you don't often see people writing programs at the controller, or anywhere really. CAD is becoming cheaper and cheaper to get into, and there are even open-source projects and plugins to make that happen for simple 2- and 3-axis milling/turning operations.

lastly, machines from the 90's absolutely do not run the same G-code. most of it is the same, yes, but 90s shit has a totally different way of handling coordinate systems than modern controllers. older systems generally need to have coordinates registered manually, which means literally entering coordinates in as variables. you're literally coding the machine to work from measured coordinates. more modern machines use G54 offsets, and offsets are way easier and more user friendly than the old registry method. there's also new shit like interpolation and live tooling on lathes, which are usually not a thing on old machines. the big thing to remember is that some things like G54 offsets and certain other G-codes are controller-specific, because there is no universal standard on which codes are viable and how. there are sometimes even contradictions on which codes do what, so you really need to be up to date on what your shop runs if you're a programmer. documentation is king, never assume shit (although some things are generally safe, G1 is G1 pretty much anywhere you go etc.)

>> No.2438957

>>2438946
so does the number of axis matter as to how you program it, do most 2 axis projects get coded manually? thanks for response

>> No.2438968

>>2438957
>so does the number of axis matter as to how you program it
yes, absolutely. you need to know what the axes have for space, how the part is going to be oriented on the table for mills, and how much space the tools are going to be taking up so you don't crash your tools (or worse yet, crash a component of the actual mill/lathe).
>do most 2 axis projects get coded manually?
no. it's so much easier to use a CAD program. also, almost all CNC operations are at bare minimum 3 axis. lathes are the exception, but CNC turning and turning in general is kind of a weird thing anyway. it doesn't make sense until you've done both.
>thanks for response
yw, it's not often that i get to talk about this kind of thing

>> No.2438991

>>2438883
in case of grody viruses, I assume

>> No.2439096

>>2438934
Another thing to consider with older machines, they will likely be bottlenecked by processing speed when trying to run modern programs.
Things like dynamic milling create a lot of code, and the older processors just cant keep up.

>> No.2439102

>>2438888
Theres no such thing as an entry level job at 90k unless daddy pulled some strings. Anything entry level in AI is also $20/hr

>> No.2439165

>>2438888
machinists can absolutely get paid a living wage, no one said you would get rich doing it but you can absolutely get enough money to live

>> No.2439202

>>2438888
your advide is literally "learn to code"

>> No.2439205

>>2438915
letting people use their own cheap shit taps sounds like a good way to scrap a lot of parts with broken taps in them. hope the shop has a edm sinker.

>> No.2439239

You faggots need to put some keywords in your OP so people searching the catalogue can find this thread. /emt/ means nothing to someone trying to find this thread blind.

>> No.2439240

How do you get rich machining?

>> No.2439243
File: 47 KB, 1095x326, Screenshot_2022-08-01_07-37-46.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2439239
>put some keywords

Since "machinist" is not a keyword to you, what would you suggest?

>> No.2439244

>>2439243
I don't know, I play with soldering irons and rework stations, but if this guy >>2438794 could not find the machining thread by Ctrl + F'ing for "CNC" you're prolly doing it wrong. /ohm/ and /3dpg/ are fairly self explanatory but also have the words "electronics", "3D" and "printing" all over their OP's, /rcg/ has "radio control" "drone" and basically every type of remote control vehicle type listed in its text, etc etc. All of these generals also have a knowledge dump at the top to hopefully cull some dumb questions, inevitably, said dump generally has all the keywords anyway.

I don't really give a fuck either way, but if you're going to bother to have a general, at least make it easy to find. Most people would think Emergency Medical Technician when they see "EMT".

>> No.2439245

>>2439244
And I did check the archive to see if this OP was just a muppet who can't copy/paste, but the old /emt/ seems to have slid off already. Maybe you do have an intro but I don't pay enough attention to this thread to know off the top of my head.

>> No.2439296

>>2439205
okay, fine, i'll stay away from taps aside from the actual decent good stanley kit i picked up. any advice on finding drills? i know pretty much anything 135 degree will work, i just don't know how to get a decent assortment that's not in a drill index

>> No.2439356

>>2438908
Wtf. I understand that in the US it's pretty common to have your own measuring equipment but cutting tools? Who knows what work you have to do. The tools you'll need could be anything but should be supplied by the company.

>>2438910
>There should be a shop programming nazi that comes and hits you with a rolled up newspaper for not using the right carbide cutter
This.

There should also be a shop foreman that comes and hits you with a rolled up newspaper for using your own uncalibrated chinese measuring equipment.

If it's a professional shop you will get all you need from them as it all has to be in the ERP anyway to be traceable. What you may have in your box are little doodads to make setting up easier or more comfortable.

But this is from a european view maybe in the US you also have to bring your own safety equipment and while you're at it - bring some free time too.

>> No.2439366

>>2439102
>Theres no such thing as an entry level job at 90k unless daddy pulled some strings. Anything entry level in AI is also $20/hr

A bit lower is more common but i know several guys from uni who got 85k€ right from the start which is close to $90k. The absolute minimum is 25€/h when you stay at uni and do your PhD. If you go into industry and start with under 30€/h you pretty much fucked yourself. Also of course small companies pay a little less but if you are in a larger company you should hit 90 or 100k a few years after joining. This is your 35-40h/week pay with no overtime.

This is in Germany but generally white collar salaries are much higher in the US. Btw. machinist pay here is abysmal too otherwise i would have probably chosen that career path. It's often below 20€/h.

>> No.2439371
File: 99 KB, 500x556, 1631638485821.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2439244
Well in my defense I did try to look for it with Ctrl+F on the catalog, couldn't find anything at all.

>CNC machine under 5K for wood carvings

So is that possible? Am I saying completely bogus, outlandish things?

What would be a good CNC model to start with, for wood carvings?

Is it really that expensive with CNCs out there?

Would like to start a career out of this, if possible, with my own shop.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

>> No.2439427

>>2439371
I don't know how much they are but for wood engraving you might be better off with a co2 laser

>> No.2439558

>>2426938
anon, that's clearly a tranny.
It took me an entire 4 seconds to deduce the voice.

So anyway, who has a really good diy 3d printed cnc with youtube build tutorial. Anyone? Anyone?

>> No.2439562

>>2428533
>normal people dont look see an average looking woman
stopped reading there, because you're right, they see a man.

>> No.2439597

>>2439558
Get the fuck out of the thread and fuck off back to /pol/ you shitposing faggot. No one cares.

>> No.2439626

Is there a cracked version of aspire 11 or vcarve pro 11 out yet? I want to try their rest machining.

>> No.2439631

How is the pay and work as a CNC programmer? Im working as a manual machinist on ships right now and used to do do cnc operation which i enjoyed but was thinking about trying to get into programming, wondering if it can stack up to a 70-100k salary or if it brings a work life that is soul sucking and nothing like machining or operating which i find enjoyable.

>> No.2439639

>>2439427
Well if it can carve it surely can engrave, too.

>> No.2439644

>>2439558
>It took me an entire 4 seconds to deduce the voice.
You have lots of experience hearing troon voices moaning?
Interesting

>> No.2439803

>>2439296
Does your shop have a drill grinder? (Alternatively, can you sharpen a drill freehand and have it come out serviceable?)
Might be worth trolling through ebay, local market sites, pawn shops and such. There's probably someone out there selling old, dull, but decent quality drills by the pound.
Also consider that those basic fractional sizes might not get much use. I've drilled lots of 27/64 and 17/32 holes, lot of Fs #7s, and 5/16s, but I honestly can't remember when I last used a 1/2 or 1/4 drill for a job.
>>2439356
I work for gorillion dollar Burger company and I have to send feedback to our programmers for using wrong tools, downright retarded cutting parameters, and engineer-tier physically impossible fixturing schemes. We're high mix, low (typically single) run though, so it's kind of expected. We at least have a mostly adequate tool crib, metrology services to check personal instruments, and just about all the PPE you can imagine. In fact, jackasses keep hurting themselves, so they've been pushing it onto workers hard, even telling people to take whatever they want for home use.
It's a shitshow, but I figure this is probably more fun than some of the alternative arrangements.

>> No.2439814

>>2435336
update, I got my raise I wanted, over 1 year this week and will be making 25$ an hour, ~20% raise.
I earned it, which makes getting it all the more better. life is good lads. :D

>> No.2439841

>>2439102
no strings pulled, just did 4 projects in the field of my own design from scratch in topics i was interested in. i did go to college, but that is probably the minimum barrier to entry. i'm not shitting you or trying to talk down, there are indeed 90k starting salaries with little experience. the exact work the company does matters: you gotta look for industries lacking in applicants, but that's always the case. and it took me a year of applying to jobs to land this one.
>>2439165
you're right, i meant a middle class wage i guess
>>2439202
the advise for climbing out of low wages is literally always "learn to x", that's just the way it is. gone are the days you could just expect to be lifted from entry level to manager just by doing an average job. if you wanted to become a machinist, you'd probably want to walk into a shop with examples of interesting work you'd done before right? that is if you didn't want to start all the way at the bottom i guess. in any case if i wanted to be a career machinist, i wouldn't apply anywhere without first making something cool to show off.

>> No.2439992

>>2439814
Nice anon. Now next week tell him you want $30/hr or you're gonna break his knees with a 2x4

>> No.2440684

should i buy a old mill from the 80s that is more robust and has more powerful motor or should a new one that is way weaker the price are same about 2k euro? also later down the line i would like to upgrade it to a cnc

>> No.2441055

how do I dial in the bore of something if I don't have anything to stick in it and I only have a regular length indicator?

>> No.2441064
File: 59 KB, 516x541, 1536364338406.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2423224
>get in the shower
>find a stainless steel chip embedded in my taint
>ah, that's what that itch was earlier
am i a machinist yet

>> No.2441156

>>2440684
>old Bridgeport or new 胆红素开发你是大家 CNC
Get the bridgeport
>upgrade it to a CNC
no

>> No.2441190

>>2441156
>>upgrade it to a CNC
>no
why not?

>> No.2441611

>>2441190
You can get a good CNC for just a bit more if you look. Then you can have a nice Fanuc or HAAS control system with everything specifically built for the CNC world.

>> No.2441612
File: 351 KB, 828x916, 372B4C58-8E69-41C5-A82F-27EDC51D3743.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2425055
their ring finger is longer than their index
guess what phenotype that is

>> No.2441625
File: 41 KB, 700x214, homohands-4117387238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2441612
Aside from the fact that finger length has always been blatant psuedoscience not based in reality for much of anything, a quick google says shes a butch dyke.

>> No.2441630
File: 683 KB, 1585x1271, BitchRunsAShop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2441612
Says she knows how to run

>> No.2441659

>>2441625
i am now a heterosexual woman thanks to this image

>> No.2441715

>>2441611
Cheapes cnc i could find is 5k euro

>> No.2441719

>>2441659
What’s your astrology sign?

>> No.2443708

>>2424961
Blondi is female, just a very unfortunate one in the looks department. Not even sexy butch like Kampf.

>> No.2443726

>>2441719
scorpions
you?

>> No.2443732

Say you had a small machine shop that has mostly 50 year old equipment plus a couple CNC mills and were given the chance to get a few upgrades. What do people recommend?
-t. total machining noob tasked with moving and doing small upgrades to a machine shop

>> No.2443761

>>2443732
Read the Practical Machinist website.
Study the existing business.

Got enough power?
Got excellent LED shop lighting?
Air compressor and lines in good condition and do they go where wanted?
Can storage be improved?
What is the most productive machine arrangement for workflow?
Where is the welding and fab area and can that be improved?

>> No.2443767

>>2443732
After some thought I suggest posting your question TO the Practical Machinist forum since the experts there know enough to make you look like a hero for asking the right questions thus delighting your boss.

>> No.2444010

what's the best way to align my tailstock if I don't have a test bar? I tried mounting my indicator base on the chuck and sweeping in the ram, but I don't know how affected by gravity that is.

>> No.2444016

Anyone help me out setting up a Huanyang VFD?

I can't seem to get the spindle to turn off with the pot. I press RUN, it starts at 0 rpm, I dial up the pot a bit, spindle starts, I dial it back down, then spindle only goes to the programmed minimum RPM instead of turning off. Eventually I'm switching to CNC control of the spindle so I don't want to press off to turn the spindle off.

Is my only option to turn min freq down and hope I never fuck up and accidentally put in a RPM that stalls the motor or am I missing something?

>> No.2444835
File: 82 KB, 640x458, Sheet_Straightening_Machine_5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2423224
Question here. We have a chinese cnc steel cutter in our workshop. The problem is that the sheet metal we cut is not always flat. I know that buying a sheet leveler might do the trick but I am looking for ways to make the nozzle auto-adjust during cutting i.e the nozzle should move slightly up or down according to the distance between it and the sheet metal. I found this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq_j3nZeFsM&list=PLUBIb_MuquHMjcpZdBvu2KG98nEv5NKv3&index=3
which pretty much does what I want but I will have to adapt it to our software(cypcut).

Does anyone have experience with cutting uneven steel plates with a fibre laser cutter ? How do I procced if not by attaching a sensor ?

>> No.2445477

>>2423224
Can I become a machinist if I'm a 5'6" twink?

>> No.2445522

>>2445477
Yes. I'm a skinny 5'7 dude mostly doing setups but also measurements.

>> No.2445645

>>2445477
yes we always need a good BJ guy

>> No.2446473
File: 4 KB, 120x240, 9k=(18).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2423224
What's the steepest cut a lathe can make in a work piece
Say for example, you needed to make a channel at like an 80 degree angle on the inside of some tubing how would you do it?
Think like a barbershop spinny thing, but on the inside.

>> No.2446518

>>2446473
I can't find it now but I saw a video of some wacky russian making an impeller by using power feed instead of the lead screw

>> No.2446531

>>2446473
Make a rifling button
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43ZeYu9dnM

>> No.2446644

>>2446518
>>2446531
It needs to be about 6 or 10 inches, on the inside of a pipe. Length about 6 inches, angle probable 80 degrees.

>> No.2447502

>>2444835
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY4cevyGYA4&ab_channel=ThisOldTony

maybe this applies

>> No.2447506

>>2446473
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBEgEpejAxA&ab_channel=EdgePrecision

this is probably the only way to do what you are decscribing

>> No.2447556

>>2425518
No CAD package even comes CLOSE to the horrible learning curve of PTC Creo Parametric (formerly ProE). Unbelievably awful. I've used Fusion, Inventor, OnShape, Solidworks, NX, and Creo in my time, and Creo was the most mind-numbing by far.

>> No.2447767

how do I model something when I have no print and no cmm? I have a physical part in hand, but tons of features can't be easily measured with calipers.

>> No.2447797

>>2447767
Different anon here, but ive been thinking about this too.
I want to recreate a few tools and parts I have laying around and there are some pretty hard to measure shit too.

Im also looking for good resources on how to learn.

>> No.2447860

Sup guys. I posted earlier in this thread about making a putter. I think I want to becoming a machinist. Im 32, make $105k as a project manager and hate my life. I want to learn the craft. I have no skillset or purpose outside my kid. Is this a career you can level up and eventually make decent money?

>> No.2447892

>>2447767
Come up with ways. Take pictures and import into cad, get better at measuring with calipers, use a feature comb for cross sections etc.

>> No.2447904

>>2447892
>Take pictures and import into cad
I tried this but parallax kept messing things up. also for some reason in fusion 360 I import a canvas and then calibrate it so it's the right size, but then when I try to move it so my g54 is where I want it to be it resizes itself.

>> No.2447919

>>2447556
Creo is incredible. You can do anything you want with it, but you're going to pull teeth and suffer your way through hell chaining together legacy menu navigation for certain features, and sometimes things just fucking break if you do something out of order and the program crashes. Really incredible how they charge companies so much fucking money for a license for this dogshit program.
t. engineer forced to deal with it at work. I use OnShape for hobby stuff, and while the core functionality is more limited in what you can do, the improved work flow makes up for it in 99% of cases.

>> No.2447925

>>2447860
>he wants to be 33, make 28k a year, and hate his life
#lifegoals

>> No.2447929

Who has the plans of the oxtoolco adjustable V-Blocks? the ones featured here https://youtu.be/tHaLgtoePcA

>> No.2448106

>>2447904
You need to take the pictures from as far away as possible.

>> No.2448161

>>2447925
Is it not a fulfilling career? It looks like you are constantly learning and creating stuff. I know the paycut sucks, but its gotta make up for it in other ways. right?

>> No.2448206

Whats the most money anyone has hear of a machinist making?

>> No.2448312

>>2448206
if you get into 5 axis programming you can make 90k+

>> No.2448328

>>2448206
At the shop I work at we have guys making 130K+ per year, but that's mostly because they basically live there and work tons of OT, most people are looking at 60-75K.

Keep in mind this is at a Goverment contractor, so there's a bit of a premium associated with finding machinists who are competent, can pass a drug test, have limited criminal history, can show up sober reliably, and haven't decided on an alternate career. It's also in an old-school erecting shop so there's no AC, most of the machines are large enough to not be enclosed, and things are fairly dangerous.

>> No.2448407

>>2448161
>It looks like you are constantly learning and creating stuff.
I mean you do

But its mentally challenging work still that can burn you the fuck out easily too.
Being pushed up against the wall, forced to learn on the fly and pull creative solutions out of your ass with deadlines and some important operations that you CANNOT fuck up.

There are weeks and projects that keep you up at night and take all of your brainpower to get through.
And if you work at any shop worth a fuck that has ok pay, its not going to be a rare occurrence.

There is a reason hardened veteran machinists are all callous jaded assholes who have learned to only trust themselves.

Good luck in your endeavors, the only reason I havent left this field is because I take what knowledge I learn home and play in the garage.
Just dont think that its going to be less mentally draining than anything else though.
There are no off days, you have to use serious brainpower literally every single day.

>> No.2448599

>>2448407
Thanks so much for the response man. Yea a big part of it is to be able to create outside of the shop on weekends. Today I was actually able to find a place that does injection molds and talked them into working 6hrs on Saturday’s to get a foot in the door and see if it’s something I want to pursue. I’m pretty stoked.

>> No.2448602

>>2448312
Ok cool. Ya probably gunna start at the bottom but interesting to know what the top end is.

>> No.2448751

>>2447860
Before you do stay in your current job for a year and stash 2/3 of your income (no matter how much you already saved). It will show you how miserable life with a beginner machinist income is and it will give you enough savings to actually make it bearable.

In your shoes i would probably stay in the job and buy a used lathe, VMC and all the other stuff you need for a small shop which should be very easy to do on $100k+ and just start a shop in my garage. First as a hobby to learn and later you can make your own products if you want to. There are so many resources around these days you can probably learn more "old timers tricks" in a year than one could learn in a whole career a few decades back. This is assuming you don't work 70h+ weeks and that's why your life is miserable.

I think it's a very fulfilling career choice (or at least can be) because you basically learn how to make almost anything but sadly it will never be as well compensated as white collar work. Of course there are guys out there in large modern shops pulling in 100k+ but an equivalent level in a white collar job would still be 3 times more.

>> No.2448921

>>2448751
Why is the compensation so miserable? is it because you can make scrap? It's not like its work anyone can do

>> No.2449038

>>2448921
> It's not like its work anyone can do
What makes you say that?
Shops literally hire illegal Mexicans and drug abusers
All it takes is 2-3 high end well paid guys to set up the programs, run setups on the machines.
Then the barely literate grunts load a workpiece, press a button, pull the workpiece, measure a single diameter, rinse and repeat all day.

You have to rise to the top, against people with engineering degrees and years of CAD experience. Things the boss man uses to justify a high wage in his head. As opposed to someone off the street.
They may take you on as a shop manager type guy seeing your current work.

>> No.2449207

>>2449038
I do not consider what you described as Machinist's work. I consider that a CNC operator position. Yes thats mostly braindead work, and should be compensated as such.
Im talking about set up machinists

>> No.2449222

>>2448921
Competition. Machining is a race to the bottom financially and has a very high business mortality rate.

No one should consider starting a machining without having put in years in the industry because if you have ANY questions you're not ready. Spend time on the Practical Machinist forums to see why the "hot dog cart" jokes aren't mere jokes.

>> No.2449341

>>2449207
>Im talking about set up machinists
You mean the jobs that never come available until the dudes in their 60s retire?
They are the only ones who do make a good living, and its almost impossible to get those jobs, as there is always someone more experienced with more credentials than you who has been waiting for 10 more years than you have.

There is a reason the average salary is so low, because there is no distinction actually made by the IRS or the actual shop owners. They use button pushers wages as a way to leverage you down during negotiations.

>> No.2449447

>>2448751
Thank you anon for the detailed response.

Yes, my goal is really to get to the point where I can own and operate my own machine. I was lucky to find a job yesterday at a machine shop near me, working 6-12pm on Saturday's. They are even willing to pay me $15/hr. Only thing is its all plastic/resins, which is fine. Did a tour, they have all CNC's, bunch of HaaS VF6's, Bridgeports with DRO's and other stuff I don't know about. Anyway, I'm pretty pumped. Planning to learn as much as possible and then eventually get my own machine. Then we build the putters.

>>2449222
I'm not that anon, but what are hot dog cart jokes?

>> No.2449449

>>2448751
>>2449447
Also anon, if I may ask, what VMC would you recommend for a home shop/business so that I may start looking around?

I had been thinking about trying to find a used tormach or haas minimill, but would love to look into VMC's. Thanks man!

>> No.2449452

>>2449447
>I'm not that anon, but what are hot dog cart jokes?

Visit PM. I promise it's worth it and especially for prospective business owners. It's easily the best commercial machining forum. BTW anything by Forrest Addy is golden (self and bro used his guide to rescue a Bridgeport with a stuck, broken gib and got that mill for 500 bucks).

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/

It's a very good place to ask about specific equipment before buying to avoid raep.

>> No.2449467

>>2449452
Hell yea I'll check it out thanks man.

>> No.2449682

>>2449447
>plastic/resins
garolite

i have to cut some damn garolite this week, but its not even the nice colour green one its the shitty diarrhea yellow one.

>>2449447
>$15/hr.

damn this guy makes $3 more than i do

>> No.2449742

>hate my current job but at least I make $20/hour
>seems impossible to get a new job that's even close to that with the experience I have
help what do I do

>> No.2449979

>>2449742
your options include:
>cope
>seethe
>dilate

>> No.2450274

>>2449974
new thread

>> No.2450443

Is the machinist union real? anyone in it?

>> No.2450738

>>2450735
>>2450735
>>2450735
New thread