[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-06-09: Search is working again.
2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled. 2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 235 KB, 1148x1148, motorola_radio_with_keys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2413362 No.2413362 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I just learned that Motorola manufactured their radios so that you would only be able to get in non destructively if you had one of their servicing keys. Was this some sort of form strategy to prevent tinkering?

>> No.2413364

>>2413362
>implying ‘service keys’ would keep me out

I think they were there to stop idiots from getting in like tamper proof screws are used today

>> No.2413379

>>2413364
If you were opening a radio in the past, it was probably to change the tubes out. There were stores you could go to where you could test your tubes for free to see if they needed to be replaced. My guess is that if something more serious than the tubes going bad was wrong with the radio, they would refuse to fix it for you if there was evidence that you went inside the radio. This was also the time when schematics were commonly included with many electronic devices, so Motorola must've been dicks for requiring a service key to get in their radios.

>> No.2413410

>>2413362
Yep.. 2135 key I think it was called...

It's now sort of a "challenge coin" for ham radio operators.. lol..

>> No.2415008

>>2413362
>2135
Isn't it nice that they provided the bitting code and a photo of the key instead?

>> No.2415226

>>2413362
>I just learned that Motorola manufactured their radios so that you would only be able to get in non destructively if you had one of their servicing keys.
[citation needed]
either you mean some new radio or this is a troll. I have worked on many older motorola tube radios and none of them needed a key.

>> No.2415231

>>2413362
>servicing keys
http://www.repeater-builder.com/keyspage/keyspage-index.html

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action