[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-06-09: Search is working again.
2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled. 2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 540 KB, 640x426, imagem_2022-06-23_002019643.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2413337 No.2413337 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Is something like pic rel possible for long term living? I live in South Brazil, most houses around here are made out of wood, but now I'm moving to Minas Gerais which is a bit warmer to start my own homestead. I'm not building a brick house because I don't want that shit falling on me, so I'm looking for alternatives, doesn't need to be cheaper or anything, money isn't a problem right now. My idea is to start with something small and work it out as I live in.
I'm going to start by setting up an outhouse and a concrete foundation, but I don't have a clue what the house is going to look like. I'll be able to get construction workers to assist me.
What are some things I should look for when buying an acreage for homesteading?

>> No.2413340

Focus on climate, solar orientation, moving hot air out the ceiling, shade etc. Will all be based on your temps and humidity

>> No.2413344

>>2413340
Ok, It's going to be mostly around 15ºC - 25ºC, so it's not that bad. I thought about some kind of opening on the ceiling, kinda like the exhaustion fans we use around here, but it's not a permanent solution and I would upgrade it as I used it. I still haven't picked a spot yet, I'm waiting for the city council guy to visit, it's called topography in Portuguese, idk if you guys call it the same.

>> No.2413367

>>2413337
If you use bigger timbers you could upgrade your roof/siding later. Overbuild it structurally for future weight.

>> No.2413368

>>2413367
You could also reinforce it later too. I’d be concerned about wandering spiders though. Wall tents are not very secure.

>> No.2413373

>>2413337
>I'm not building a brick house because I don't want that shit falling on me,
literally the stupidest thing I've read today, brick / stone is the superior form of construction, if it is done correctly it doesn't just fall down, what are ypu planning on doing, just making a shitpile of things with no cement or nails? why not just use cardboard since it can't hurt you when falling on you?

>> No.2413395

>>2413373
>why not just use cardboard since it can't hurt you when falling on you?
Rain

>> No.2413402
File: 153 KB, 800x533, shack in slum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2413373
>if it is done correctly
bro, you've clearly never seen brazilian brick construction. Brick is a cheap building material down there and there is a LOT of shitty work and it often gets a bad rep the same way that metal roofing does in the USA (metal roofing is obviously superior to shingles in nearly every way, but there's a ton of places in the USA where older people especially hate it and don't want it on their house for any reason)

Pic related... I searched for "shacks in slum" and got this pic from Sao Paulo lol

>> No.2413513
File: 189 KB, 1080x789, Screenshot_20220623-081359_Firefox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tent wall houses can be liveable if security isn't an issue, but relying on a fabric roof of that style and low tech installion is not a great plan.
Tent houses used to be a big thing in summer vacation/ beach communities before AC, but we're almost always built with a solid roof structure for worry free weather protection from above. Many of them were subsequently fitted with permanent solid wall I fill panels and are still in use. Picrel is one of them in southern CA, note the truss roof structure that allowed it to be just a roof on posts with no load bearing interior walls. A smaller one or shed roof could use far simpler framing, look at things like the simple pavillions in public parks that let you picnic in the rain and RV parking -style covers for ideas.

>> No.2413517

>>2413513
https://garagebuildings.com/metal-carport-kits

>> No.2413708

>>2413513
I was thinking about something like that, but then I wondered why even care about a tent roof if I already had all the requirements for a proper one.

>> No.2413748

>>2413708
That's the point, a tent roof is not a advantage for a permanent structure/residence...and has significant drawbacks even where it makes sense, like camping.
Fabric or similar movable walls on the other hand could be beneficial for a lot of reasons, especially if you plan to expand.
Bottom line is that if you plan to build and improve and can afford it now, a solid roof and support structure engineered for the end purpose (or as close as you can envision it) is the most sensible and least costly approach in both time and money.

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action