[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-06-09: Search is working again.
2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled. 2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 17 KB, 638x480, 1631658559451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2413264 No.2413264 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I'm adding a completely new bathroom to the addition on the back of my house. I gather I should have probably pulled a permit as I'm moving/adding a bunch of plumbing, gas and electrical. I'm also adding a couple interior walls in addition to drilling through exterior walls to add ventilation.

What are the chances I get into any trouble once I go to sell this place in a few years? I live in a major city so it's not like a house going up for sale with one more bathroom than it had the last time it was listed is going to catch anyone's attention. Does anyone actually pay attention to things like that?

>> No.2413291

>>2413264
>What are the chances I get into any trouble once I go to sell this place in a few years?
Pretty good.

If you don't disclose the lack of permits, you've opened yourself up to lawsuits, and being forced to retroactively get a permit, and pay to bring it to code. (you're further fucked if code changes by then.) You won't go to jail, but it's going to cost you WAY more than doing it now.

If you dislose it, and it's listed with "unpermitted bathroom", you just lost a huge chunk of the pool of buyers, because they won't get approval for financing, or insurance. You'll have to sell "as is" and that's poison on the housing market. You may only be able to sell it buy getting a retroactive permit or tearing down the addition.

Just get the permits. it's not that complicated.

>> No.2413431

>>2413264
There's basically zero chance the city will miss that you suddenly have an additional bathroom on the real estate listing

>> No.2413460

>>2413291
Thanks for the input, fellas.

My other question was, while exploring the process for a permit, it's asking for references for my "design professional" and for my contractor. I'm doing this all myself off of a pretty basic series of drawings on graph paper.

Any input on what to do here? The city's website has a section for "EZ Permits" for small jobs that don't require plans, but mine obviously doesn't fall into that category. Should I just leave everything blank and continue forward, on the off chance someone from L&I comes out to take a look at everything?

>> No.2413501

>>2413460
if you leave everything blank, they are certainly going to come look or just outright deny the permit.
keep in mind if they see you applying for a permit, they will keep an eye on your shit and will certainly notice you blowing out a wall and adding an addition... and then you are proper fucked

>> No.2413524

>>2413460
Depends a bit on what the city will allow.
Contractor you can often put "self" or your own name. It's not terribly uncommon for people to be their own G.C.'s, although I will say that those are usually the worst clients since they frequently don't know jack about what goes into building a home. Have one guy who's his own G.C., bought his house plans off the internet, started the project with us back in 2019 -- we've had over a hundred other residential clients who started a year after him who are already living in their new houses while he hasn't even broken ground.
Design professional is basically asking who your architect is (in this case). It's the name that goes down on the record as being the person whose license is on the line if shit fails due to a design flaw. For any structural changes, such as adding new floor space, you will probably need one.

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action