[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-06-09: Search is working again.
2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled. 2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 121 KB, 1024x768, rsz_adobestock_254605585_1-1024x768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2413173 No.2413173 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Anons, I've got a CNC machinist interview coming up tomorrow.
My only experience with CNC machining was briefly working in a family friend's shop, not for money, but just to help out, and running g-code with a 3D printer.
I know a little bit of CAD, and I know my way around manual lathes / mills.

What do I wear, anons?
Should I brush up on anything to make it seem like I know what I'm doing?

>> No.2413177
File: 47 KB, 1000x1000, 00_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2413173
Bring one of these, show them your endurance of your index finger with how fast and how long you can press the green button.
Seeing how you can speak english (not even a requirement) and can push the button, im sure youll be hired right away!

>> No.2413185

>>2413177
kek
Thanks for the chuckle, anon.
Is it really a retard job?

The requirements seemed really autistic for all the other CNC positions.
>5+ years of CNC machining and programming experience
>CAD experience is a must
>bunch of other gobbledygook
>AND a minimum of a relevant diploma necessary

>> No.2413190

>>2413185
There are two types of cnc machinist jobs
The ones where you need a degree and CAD experience, and the one where they hire illegal immigrants
There is no in between

Whether there is a path up the ladder into that higher tier job vs just a button pusher purgatory depends on the shop.

Shops need bodies, so just don’t be a dingbat in the interview and you’re hired. seriously

>> No.2413192

>>2413190
Cheers to the advice.
I'm in Ontario, and it's a rural-Ontarian shop, staffed by Canadians, owned by Canadians.
They also seem to do a lot of custom manufacturing shit (isn't all CNC, of course, but still) - for agricultural equipment and the like.
It's a pretty massive shop, almost a full-sized factory from what I saw, million-dollar-machines by the looks of it.

I'll just try to be competent.
Got any advice on what to wear?
I feel like a suit is for a dingus, just clean jeans and a polo?
Or jeans and a shirt?

>> No.2413251

>>2413192
Shirt and slacks, dress like your meeting your gf parents for the first time plus best unscuffed yet functional work boots
Don't sweat it lad, if you are any way competent they'll take you

>> No.2413310

>>2413190
not op but how do I slide into the first category without the experience they want? I have 3 years experience in a different field that sometimes involves manual machining and a half finished community college degree in machining.

>> No.2413371

>>2413251
Appreciate it, fren.
Hopefully I'll get it - I was a NEET for 2 years, and I feel bad for mooching off my family.
Want to finally start paying for myself, and buying more silver / gold.

Am studying mechanical engineering right now, and was hoping to start a career in something relevant - especially because I fucking hate programming and "software development" (original field of study, left it after 3 months.)
But, sorry for the blog - basically, I'll do my best to be reasonable and professional, and sprinkle in a bit of charm without acting stupid / cracking jokes every second during the interview.

>> No.2414120

>>2413190
I've been on both sides of the CNC coin. Worked two years as a button pusher and when I started off I still thought it was basically magic happening inside the machines. I worked the night shift and "ran" a 5 axis that was programmed by the morning shift guy to basically run by itself 24/7. Never even got to do setups, just measured, polished, and washed parts, tweaked the offsets as dimensions drifted, and replaced tools when they wore out. Often had orders in the 1000+ quantity range.
Then that shop closed and I was hired by a desperate shop owner to be his sole CNC machinist in a more agriculturally focused industry, where different shit comes through the door every day and I had to learn how to constantly wing it and to get ready for surprises, with limited equipment and much of it falling apart. Actually it's a rare occasion that I even get a print or tolerances to work with. Usually just have to figure it out with trial and error. Never a dull moment.
>>2413173
It probably doesn't matter what you wear so long as you don't come off as a complete retard. People really need workers bad. Even if you don't exactly fit the bill you may end up limping the company along to the best of your abilities, better than nothing so long as you don't make a habit of breaking expensive things.
But everybody wears Carhartt so that's probably a safe bet.

>> No.2414164

>>2413190
Not true at all. There's the redneck equivalent of the illegal immigrant shop that's always 50/50 functioning alcoholics and people under the age of 21

>> No.2414302

why are there sparks coming from the masonry drill bit and why is said masonry bit being held in a mirring machine?

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action