[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 116 KB, 400x300, cbrinstall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
224759 No.224759 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/
I want to install a CB Radio into my '86 Chevy Blazer. Not for anyreason except for the sake of doing so. Any tips and/or stories on installation? The most ive done with my cars is oil changes, CD Deck replacements and freon recharges. How difficult will this be? Thanks.

>> No.224762

Hook up power and antenna...its that easy

>> No.224767

>>224759
Dual whips will LOSE sensitivity
Anyone actually into CB with dual whips will put a false whip so you get the looks without losing anything

>> No.224780

What is the practical range on these things?
Ive heard so many different people say "Well the ACTUAL range is -----"
Also, how hard is it to hook a PA Speaker up to one of these?

>> No.224820

>>224767
Cophased antennas...they need to be a minimum of about 10 ft apart to even see any gains. The farther they are apart, the more narrow the beamwidth will be.

>> No.224821

>>224780
>What is the practical range on these things?
With the FCC legal 4w peak AM / 12w SSB? About 5-10 miles mobile, 10-25 miles from a well installed base station with a 1/4, 5/8, or .64 wavelength antenna approximately 31 ft off the ground.

>Ive heard so many different people say "Well the ACTUAL range is -----"

If the atmospheric is reflective of ~27 mhz that day, worldwide communications is possible, although there's no telling who you'll be receiving or transmitting to. It's typically in whichever direction the sun is, so West or East, depending on if it's sunup or sundown. You get your best "skip" at sunup and sundown.

>Also, how hard is it to hook a PA Speaker up to one of these?

Pretty easy. Plug n' play.

>> No.224836
File: 39 KB, 403x497, HalliCastroAdS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT : Anything radio related, I'll be hanging around for a while.

>> No.224851

Are magnetic antennas any good?

>> No.224856

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K2YR/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Is this any good? I saw someone post about this the other day, but when I got back to it, it 404'd

>> No.224862

What are some of the advantages of having CB radio in your car? Anyone have antenna and radio suggestions? Also sticking around in thread for awhile.

>> No.224864
File: 262 KB, 480x640, 1002977ri6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224851
Depends on the make. There are some quality-built magnetic mount antennas out there, but they will ALWAYS be outperformed by a solidly mounted antenna in the same area.

Magnetic mounts are capacitance grounded, rather than directly grounded, so it doesn't present an ideal RF ground. Without going big into the science, you want a biigggg, flat RF ground below your transmitting antenna. Excessively small or poor RF grounding alters the performance of the antenna, causing poor transmission characteristics.

>Pic related, most ideal CB antenna. 102" whip, 6" barrel spring, chromed ball mount

>> No.224865
File: 18 KB, 300x300, Cobra HH38WXST.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224856
It's better than nothing. The quality is okay, but it's not particularly durable. Heat is the killer of electronics. RF transmission generates a lot of heat at the final amplifier of the radio. So, in short, these little handhelds aren't meant for lengthy ragchews. They're also very hard to modify for improved performance.

Coupled with an ideal antenna though, they do fine.

>Similar and popular Cobra HH38WXST

>> No.224868
File: 64 KB, 1024x768, galaxy dx98vhp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224862
Advantages?

They're excellent for boredom alleviation. Don't be afraid, key the mic and have a chat with someone. Don't be afraid to break into a conversation that you'd like to participation.

On the highway, they're better than a radar detector. Key the mic and ask for "traffic conditions" in the direction you're going. Some trucker will gladly let you know if there's a wreck ahead, construction, and where EVERY speed trap is at for the next 20 - 200 miles.

They're a redundant line of communications. In an emergency, you may not have cell phone service. Your CB is another line of defense towards getting help.

They're fun from a science perspective. There's a lot of science in RF theory...they're quite fun to tinker with too! CB is how I got into radios. They're cheap to buy, and easy to modify.

There's that feeling of success too when you make your first 500-600 mile contact with 4w with a less-than-ideal antenna.

>> No.224869

>>224864
is having a 102" whip legal? I can see that catching a lot of unwanted attention from authorities

>> No.224870

>>224868
Is there a certain syntax to go with talking on a CB? Or just pick it up and talk like you normally would?

>> No.224872
File: 10 KB, 434x259, Cobra_148GTL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224869
The height maximum on the highway is 14'6" I do believe? As long as the tip is under that, you're golden.

>>224862
The solid mounted 102" whip is most ideal. It's a 1/4 wave radiator, meaning, it produces neither a gain nor a loss of transmitted RF power...although with a good sized RF ground plane, you may see 1-2 db of gain.

Antennas shorter than 102" on CB band must utilize a loading coil to make up the difference. A loading coil is simply a tuned coil of wire, typically at the base of the antenna. However, they contribute nothing to the antenna ; they turns transmitted watts into heat. Plus, since your radiating whip is shorter, you have poorer reception. More exposed metal = more conductivity = better reception.

For most beginners, I advise:
Cobra 148 GTL (This does AM and SSB)
Wilson W500 or Wilson W1000. Magnet mount is fine.

If you're willing to do the 102" whip, go for it! They're a bit of a bitch to install, but it's more professional, since there's no exposed coaxial cable.

If you can't afford the 148 GTL, the Cobra 29 LTD Classic is another great choice, although it is AM only. The Uniden PC68 series shares the same boards as the Cobra 148 & 29.

>> No.224876
File: 59 KB, 580x435, galaxy dx959.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224870
Depends. On Ch19, most truckers use plain english, although there is some slang. Smokey bears are cops, a chicken coop is a weigh station. If someone says "Smokey bear at the 49", they mean, there is a cop at the 49 mile marker.

For "talking skip" though, there is a looottt of lingo. I can't even begin to explain it, it is it's own language. But, they typically use made up callsigns that are a made up number with a handle attached to it. Like "This is 1138 Snakeboy coming at chu from the Texas Panhandle...I'm liivvee and checkin' the mail".

CB skip:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYS1Owxt9fo

Oh, by the way, Channel 6 AM is the "CB Superbowl"...basically, it's a power competition. People "step all over each other" (transmit over each other), trying to come out on top and get their message across.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKyEaKyl5Qs
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXp2YTePerE

Comparison of amateur radio vs CB
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EciIhwKfxp8

>> No.224910

>>224876
Hey Radiofag;
I've been wanting to get into this-sort-of-thing for some time now. Problem is I have next to no knowledge, practical or otherwise, on the subject.

Two questions:
Where should I go / what should I look into to learn the basics?
What would you recommend in the way of an inexpensive scanner?

>> No.225041

>>224910
I'd look to uniden for a good scanner.

>> No.225094

>>224910
Scanner recommendations are entirely dependent upon a combination of what you want to listen to + where you live. You can get a old 16-channel analog FM scanner dirt cheap, or you can pay $500+ for a multi-mode digital trunking scanner (which is what you'll need if you desire to monitor public safety channels in many metropolitan areas now...of course, if they encrypt or use a new mode like DMR/Mototrbo, it's a moot point, and you can't monitor with a scanner at all.)

>> No.225105

I have a 4' Firestik II as my antenna, and I heard somewhere I was supposed to tune it or something but I have no idea how to do that. I just welded a tab onto my bumper and hooked it up and it seems to work fine. I assume I'd get more range if it was tuned.

Not totally a huge concern, it's my wheeling truck and I really just use the CB to talk to the people I'm with (like 200 yards range mostly). Also, my radio is some cheap 40 dollar Uniden and it definitely doesn't have SSB. I assume SSB would give me more range? Would the person I'm talking with need an SSB radio to receive me?

>> No.225167
File: 143 KB, 1600x1200, uniden bct8 camaro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224910
vvv
>>225094
This guy is dead on.

Most police departments have switched to trunking systems, if not digital, or digital encrypted. While analog trunking scanners aren't terrible expensive, digital scanners are extremely cost prohibitive.

However, luckily, most Fire / EMS / Security / Public works services still use regular old single-frequency analog.

The best scanners I can advise to most people is the GRE PSR-600 (or Radioshack Pro-197, same thing internally). It does digital, and it's very fast. However, unless you've got about $500 to burn...

The Uniden BC355 is a good entry level scanner. It's analog only, and fairly inexpensive. They're about $90 new, or $50 used. However, it's kinda limited. It's a single-frequency analog scanner. If you want something with a little more capabilities, the Uniden BCT8 is a wonderful upgrade from it, and will cost you about $150. It's analog too, but it can do trunking. It also has faster scanning, and more channel capabilities than the BC355.

Remember though, your antenna dictates your receiving range. That little factory telescoping whip won't receive from very far...

>> No.225174
File: 228 KB, 1243x860, amplitude modulation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>225105
>I have a 4' Firestik II as my antenna, and I heard somewhere I was supposed to tune it or something

The SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) of an antenna must be tuned for the resonant frequency. An ideal SWR is 1:1, although anything from 1:1.1 to 1:1.5 is excellent. Up to a 2.0 is fine, but anything over 2.5, I would start worrying. ANY quality built antenna should be able to give you a tuned SWR of less than 2.0. If it's over 2.5, you've likely chosen a bad location to mount the antenna and are having a lot of reflected energy, or you have a poor RF ground plane.

To tune your SWR, you need an SWR meter like this one: >http://www.frys.com/product/3415093

To change the resonant frequency of the antenna, you shorten or lengthen the antenna. To raise the resonant frequency from say... 27.185 mhz, to 27.355 mhz, you would SHORTEN the antenna. To lower the resonant frequency frmo 27.355 mhz to 27.015 mhz, you would LENGTHEN the antenna. As you can guess, it's kinda hard to lengthen antennas, as you usually change the resonant frequency by cutting 1/8" pieces of antenna off. Luckily though, I believe the Firestik II has an adjustable metal post under the tip's cap that you can raise or lower?

Magnet mount antennas such as the Wilson W1000 has a stainless whip that is attached to the bottom via an allen bolt that pinches it in place. You can loosen the allen bolt, and slide the whip up and down to tune it.

>> No.225175
File: 18 KB, 300x226, sideband.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Also, my radio is some cheap 40 dollar Uniden and it definitely doesn't have SSB. I assume SSB would give me more range? Would the person I'm talking with need an SSB radio to receive me?

SSB is a more efficient mode to amplify than AM. It takes up a lot less bandwidth, so you don't pick up as much "noise" on the receive. Also, since it's more efficient, it's less work electronically to amplify (if you feel like using an illegal amplifier). If you're doing trails, I wouldn't worry about SSB, since it's primarily used for long distance skip talking on 38 LSB (lower sideband).

>> No.225211
File: 397 KB, 1869x1246, IMG_8656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>225175

Illegal amplifiers,you say?

Not that I would use that one for SSB. Really hard to find good mobile amps that are class A or AB. I had one,but I sold it. Driver ran mode A,and the finals were push/pull in true AB. Driver was too much though for almost any radio for real clean use,which confused the shit out of me.

>> No.225229

>>225211
On my truck, I ran a Cobra 29 LTD Classic with some mods (Receiver upgrade, blue LEDs, modulation allowed to pass up to 105%), which was driving a Palomar 400 into a 96" fiberglass whip.

I hit skip with Jamaica in it. It was fun for about a month, then I sold the amp and radio to invest in ham gear. I prefer amateur band, where I'm frequency agile and I've got miles of bandwidth to play with.

I still have my President Dwight D base station though...

>> No.225472

How would I covertly install a CB radio in my Jetta. I don't care if it's obvious from the inside, but I'd like to make it fit with the interior, and I really don't want anything obvious on the exterior. I do a lot of highway driving and mostly want to be able to listen to truckers so I'll know where speedtraps are.

>> No.225500

>>225229

Yeah,I'm kind of at the point where I need to start looking at multiple alternators for my mobile if I want to see any appreciable gains.

Thinking about using some of those surplus russian tubes for my base to make a small amplifier. Don't want to buy some fuckhuge 12v supply for all my stuff.

>>225472
Low profile and CB doesn't really go together. If you get the smallest,shittiest antenna you can for CB...people will still obviously notice it...and you won't hear anything.

>> No.225667

>>225500

Well what's the way I can make it look like it fits in with the car the best? I have an obsession with making everything fit snugly in its place. Probably why I got a German car in the first place.

>> No.225731
File: 83 KB, 600x450, k40 trunk 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>225667
Trunk lid antennnas don't look half bad. They're easily removed too.

If I had a Jetta and wanted antennas on it, I'd use it as an excuse to do NMO mounts with an overall green & white Polizei theme.

>Scanner & CB antenna on a BMW

>> No.226039

>>225731

Haha! Well, I don't care if my car has antennae on it because I work in media and that'll probably make me look that much more legit, I just want it to look as classy as it can. How much will all of this cost me?

>> No.226043

>>226039
>http://redmancb.com/wilson-1000-trunk-lip-mount-3000-watt/

>> No.226045

>>226043

And then how much would the CB system and additional wiring cost as well?

How much is this going to run me total?

>> No.226049

>>224876
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKyEaKyl5Qs

>Having said that, we are now well into new sunspot cycle 24. Propagation on the higher HF frequencies improves with the number of sunspots (solar magnetic storms) making the ionosphere refractive to higher frequency radio waves, leading to CB signals 'bouncing' all round the world. This will continue for a few years

is he saying that what someone said two years again can picked up around the world today?

>> No.226058

>>226045
Depends on what radio you choose.

If you want to go new, this is an okay choice:
>http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PC68LTW-Channel-Radio-Front/dp/B00004VXO0

Better
>http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-148GTL-Channel-Watt-Radio/dp/B0002D6KAE

If you want something that'll really kick some ass though:
>http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-DX-959-Channel-Mobile-Radio/dp/B0002D6KF4

>Caution
The Galaxy DX959 is an "export" radio, meaning, it is NOT FCC legal. Don't worry though, the FCC doesn't hand out fines anymore unless you're running like 10 kw and causing interference to your neighbors.

Ideally, you should direct connect the leads of your radio to the battery. DO NOT ground out the negative like you would traditionally do with a 12VDC system. It's better with radio applications to take it directly to the negative leading, as grounding it out, can cause interference in your receiver.

The antenna comes with coaxial cable. Coaxial cable is very special RF transmission cable. It's 50 ohms in this case, and is a PVC outer sleeve, with a braided copper wire, that surrounds a PTFE teflon plastic inner insulation, which covers the innermost signal wire. DO NOT cut it and try to solder it back together again... that does not work with coaxial cable, as the signal will "leak out" and you'll have SWR issues.

A high SWR can lead to damage, so be sure to know what your antenna SWR is...check it! Even using your radio's integrated inaccurate SWR meter is better than nothing.

>> No.226061

>>226049
>is he saying that what someone said two years again can picked up around the world today?

No, although in some rare instances, you'll catch the very tail of your previous transmission after you unkey.

Sunspots directly affect the atmosphere. Atmospheric skip of RF energy is how you get long range. Sometimes the atmosphere is reflective, sometimes it isn't. When it is reflective, you can skip your signal like you skip a stone. Sometimes it's more reflective than on other days...multi-skips can happen, so you can transmit from say...Arkansas, and be talking to a guy in Germany. The more reflective the atmosphere is, the more likely this is to happen. Sunspots aid the atmosphere in making that happen.

>> No.226062

>>226049
It means you can talk further. My dad used to work in the mines in Mt Isa (Australian mining town). He was out one night with his mates when they actually picked up a truckie who was just leaving Darwin (A capital city), this is quite a distance. The reason this happened was because it being night time though.

They ended up pranking him by playing clips of American truckies so he thought he bounced over to America.

>> No.226431

>>226058

....uhh the 959 is NOT an export radio,and is FCC certified. Silly.

Something like my Galaxy 88HL is an export,but not my 959.

>> No.226501

>>226431
Galaxy does not make a single FCC certified radio. They design the circuitry to easily allow excess power or "freebanding", therefor, they get an automatic ban.

>http://swap.qth.com/fcc/fcc-cbtable2.htm
>Importation and marketing of these units is illegal pursuant to Section 302(b) of the Communications Act and Section 2.803 of the rules. Willful violations of the Rules and the Act may subject the violator to a monetary forfeiture of not more than $11,000 for each violation or each day of a continuing violation. The Commission continues to review this type of equipment, and additional makes and models may be added to this list in the future.

>GALAXY - models: 33HML, 44V, 45MP, 48T, 55, 55V, 66V, 73V, 77, 77HML, 88HL, 93T, 95T, 99V, 919, 929, 959, 979, 2517, 2527, 2547, DX94HP, DX98VHP, Melaka, Saturn and Saturn Turbo

>> No.226547
File: 435 KB, 688x368, vlcsnap-2012-05-27-06h25m40s181.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>226501

Which is why my 959 has FCC certification,right? As does my 949?

Now,if you weren't such a fag,you would read the entire posting:
"NOTE FROM QTH.COM: This list was modified to include additional radios. Radios that were added are displayed with a hotlink to the documentation and/or reason for the addition"

If you click on the REAL export radios,you will find actual FCC papers...cbs that you can channel modify just link to webpages showing how to do the mod.

tl;dr The 9xx series are CB radios and aren't b& by the FCC,just butthurt HAMs complaining because they can be modified.

>> No.226553

yo radio fags, How big of an amp could I put in my car? I have a 175 amp/120 idle amp alternator and 2 yellow tops. I currently can run 3 audio amps with 135 amp draw from 2 of them and 35-50 amp draw from one without to much trouble full tilt if I am driving. They are class ab so push pull but do linear amps pull a more steady current? If so I imagine they are like playing a test tone of a deep tone? Just trying to get an idea of what to build. (would have better batteries but worked for JCI so they where and optima cost.)

>> No.226565

>>226547
Can I get a picture of the FCC Part 95 type acceptance sticker then? It'll have a serial number which I can use to trace it back on fcc.gov.

It's not listed in the owner's manual, even though it should be...

>>226553
>175a
Well, we'll assume that about 15a is getting sucked up by required processes. We'll also assume 13.8v.

By ohms law of 13.8 * 160 = 2208 watts. This is an inaccurate number though, as the batteries will provide a cushioning effect. Also, you must figure in amplifier efficiency as well. Class AB is about 50% efficient on a good day, so you're looking at a maximum of about 1104 watts from alternator alone, although as said, the batteries provide a cushioning effect, so 2000+ is not impossible.

>> No.226574
File: 35 KB, 400x300, 492237122_tp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>226565
This isn't mine,but I'm not about to rip mine out of my car to prove a point on the internet.

>>226553
I would upgrade your alternator before adding any more batteries,all they are is a band-aid,not a cure.

Sky is really the limit,though. It's all in how much you are willing to do and how much you want to spend. I've seen big competition rigs for CBs that have 6+ alternators. Usually not all DC though,a few will be something like 6v for a tube's heater and the rest will be AC they bump up to a few KV. Something like 3cx10000 tubes or bigger.

>> No.226587

>>226574
>https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetEas731Report.do?applicationId=86047&fcc_id='M38-DX-959'
>FCC ID search shows the DX959 device with M38 grantee code passed Part 15B requirements.

Part 15B conformity means it conforms with "unintentional radiator" requirements, meaning, it doesn't produce RFI when its turned on. It also accepts any RFI accidental generated by other RFI producing devices that are within legal limits.

Since it does not carry a Part 95 certificate of acceptance, it is not legal to use on Part 95 "Citizens Band" frequencies of the 40 channels between 26.9 and 27.4 mhz.

In it therefor not FCC certified for use as a "CITIZENS BAND RADIO", only as an electronic device for importation, but it cannot be used as a radio.

In short, by bureaucratic legal definition of the FCC, it's a circuit-board paper weight.

>> No.226591

>>226587
>further clarifications
>47 CFR 95.603
>(c) Each CB transmitter (a transmitter
that operates or is intended to operate
at a station authorized in the CB) must
be certificated. No CB transmitter certificated pursuant to an application
filed prior to September 10, 1976, shall
be manufactured or marketed.

>> No.226600

any reason to stay with cb when I can get a technichian amateur radio license which will let me go up to 50 watts on like 8 different bands?

>> No.226675

>>226600

Getting your license is great,I almost did...till I realized there was too many fucking dildos out there.(Not even talking to anyone just listening) Part of HAM radio is about experimenting,and some people have problems with that,or anyone who isn't as "elite" as they are.

Not all of them. Plenty of good people...but there are some serious douchebags. Just depends on where you live maybe...

If you like to ragchew,I would do it on CB. Want to see how many contacts you can make in an hour from different places? Amateur radio. I was gonna say digital modes,making your own equipment,but you can do that on both sides.

And while high-power is illegal on CB...it doesn't mean anyone gives a flying fuck. Honestly,as long as you follow good design and don't splatter into adjacent bands...no one is going to come find you. Well,maybe. But there are a lot bigger fish that they need to fry first.

Before I start rambling away,I say get your license,and also get a CB. Have fun on both. Just don't tell CB'ers you are a HAM,and don't tell other HAM operators you have a CB.

>> No.226678

>>226675
Well. I think ragchew is better on ham bands than on CB.

There's nothing worse than some asshat coming in on CB : "Hey, two guys are having a pleasant conversation! I better walk all over them with noise toys"

I agree though, I'm licensed and still have both...I just barely use the CB for anything anymore though. I'll spin through the band occasionally though...

>> No.226692
File: 63 KB, 800x600, tx3440_f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224821
>With the FCC legal 4w peak AM
Isn't it 4 watts unmodulated. PEP will be more.

>>224876
>Channel 6 AM is the "CB Superbowl"
We even hear you guys in Australia when the skip is on.
>Dat heterodyne

We also hear you on 38 LSB.

Dumping an Aussie built 5 watt 477Mhz CB because why not.

>> No.226694

>>226692
I really wish they'd open up and popularize a UHF based system like you guys have...I imagine it'd take off, since the antennas are small, reception is excellent, and the wattage makes it splendid for reliable short range communications.

>> No.226696

>>226692
Also, yeah, I think you're right... I think it is 4w carrier, not pep.

>> No.226698

i used to have a pa system hooked to mine. 50 watts, yelling at all the slow driving fuckers and scaring people in their yards

>> No.226704
File: 74 KB, 600x800, codanhf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>226694
They should. 27Mhz is only used by enthusiasts here now. Its still fully legal but erryone in trucking etc has gone uhf. Also repeaters. Many station owners run there own ufh CB repeaters.

There are the exceptions when it comes to way outback.
>HF (100 watts)
Pic Aussie made codan HF auto tune antenna.

>> No.226705

hurdur ufh. My bad.

>> No.226736

Why do people have these on their cars and not at home?

>> No.226902

>>226736
you can run a cb at home but it's ill advised. You don't want to get dox'd or your fucked. like /b/ pretty much.

>> No.226911

>>226902
dox'ed by who?

>> No.226917

>>226911

Well,if you run shitloads of power that bleeds into electronics,and you make your neighbors hate you,they will. Or if you freeband and piss of someone and they find you.

>>226678
I think it's more fun and relaxed on CB. You can say whatever you want and no one is going to report you to the FCC ;) Sure there are some power battles,but it's all in good fun.

And it is 4W carrier,because fully modulated it's 12W(why you can have a 12W SSB signal).

>> No.226944
File: 2.32 MB, 3264x4952, DSC01996 - Copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>224836
Radiofag, i've seen you on here once or twice with good threads. I'm wondering, what does it take to be you? in the sense of learning, resources, contacts, etc.

I currently have alot of books on antenna theory saved on my computer, and i have the "complete broadcast antenna handbook design installation operation and maintenance by John E. Cunningham" by my bedside.

Questions:
>What technical books would you recommend reading and or purchasing?

>What refrence books are "pure gold" and you keep with you(if you do?

>What magazines do you like to read and you subscribe to?

>what websites occupy your time and you would recommend for learning, project dev.,etc?

>what stores local and or Online would you recommend shopping for parts,tools, etc?

>What do you use to organize your parts and build your workstations? (Organization tools,carpentry stuff, desks and such)

>what tools do you fill your workstations with?

>what models of tools would you recommend filling a workstation and mobile kit with?

>what industry certifications do you have? Is the HAM Amature Radio Operators liscence worth it? How long would it take to prepare for, how much do i have to pay for it, and how long does the liscence last?

and anything else you feel is pertinent, i'm genuinely curious, and I would like to develop the resources, know how, purchasing contacts, etc to be able to do what you seem like you know like the back of your hand?

[picture attached a dish i want to build a biquad WLAN antenna with but am unsure what to use as a stand (i have a could tripods I collected for it, but idk how to attatch) and I don't have the copper sheet to replace the feedhorn with(which was broken off when I got it, and I'm unsure how to attach it(the new biquad)) Tips/suggestions would be helpful

>> No.227395

>>226902
Well, I wasn't really interested in broadcasting, only lurking and listening.

>> No.227417

Thinking about doing a magnet mount with about a 48" antenna. I know longer is better, but any longer isn't an option for me.

How would this fair at interstate speeds? (75mph/120kph) Would it slide at all? It'll probably be placed over my dome light on the roof of my SUV and the cable ran down under the weather stripping on the windshield, down into the engine bay, and through a grommet in the firewall.

>> No.227430

>>227417
I used a magnet-mount 40-something inch antenna on a Geo Metro hatchback from Seattle to Salt Lake City, mostly driven at top speed. On the roof it would slowly "walk" back, so I ended up placing it on the hood of the car directly over one leg of its X bracing.

>> No.227433

>>227430
How often did you have to check it?

>> No.227495

>>227430
And which mount did you end up using

>> No.227581

>>227395
well for lurking your could try an invisible 1/2 wave wire dipole antenna, hidden in your attic or up in a tree and 50 ohm preferably or 75ohm tv coax going between the antenna and the radio. There are many antennas on the market such as antron99, imax2000, sirio827 with excellent weak signal sensitivity, but they are extremely visible and will draw attention. Even at that don't expect to hear too much, seasoned cb'ers seem to have a paranoid sixth sense to know exactly if anyone is listening to them.

>> No.227743

>>226944
>What technical books would you recommend reading and or purchasing?
>What refrence books are "pure gold" and you keep with you(if you do?

Anything that the ARRL puts its name on is generally : GOLD! Especially if you have a used book store. I picked up a 1963 "Radio Amateur's Handbook" for $5 at a used bookstore. This thing is an absolute wealth of information. It has everything from antenna theory, to "how to build your own 1500w 3-500z amplifier", to "how to build your own 23cm tube transmitter"

>What magazines do you like to read and you subscribe to?

None currently, but QSL magazine has good stuff in it occasionally...I don't think it's really worth a a subscription though.

>what websites occupy your time and you would recommend for learning, project dev.,etc?

>what stores local and or Online would you recommend shopping for parts,tools, etc?

>What do you use to organize your parts and build your workstations? (Organization tools,carpentry stuff, desks and such)

Any plastic container is fine...the little slide-out drawer towers are excellent for storing components. Especially if you get into vintage transceivers, you'll want a surplus of 10 mfd / 450v capacitors around.

>what tools do you fill your workstations with?

Your first tool investments should be:
A soldering station with temperature control
A few different size tips
50/50 or 60/40 solder (go as thin as possible)
A "helping hands" clamp thingee...often, you'll find you in 3 hands to do something.
An analog volt-meter
A digital multi-meter

Once you get into test equipment, you'll know what you need...

>> No.227747
File: 792 KB, 1920x1440, tek 453 scope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>what models of tools would you recommend filling a workstation and mobile kit with?

I like my Weller WES51 station. My next major investment is likely going to be a Tektronix 453 oscilloscope. It's one of the best oscilloscopes ever made! It's very reliable, easy to operate, easy to fix, and it's quite common. It covers up to 50 mhz, making it an excellent choice for tuning HF transceivers.

>what industry certifications do you have? Is the HAM Amature Radio Operators liscence worth it? How long would it take to prepare for, how much do i have to pay for it, and how long does the liscence last?

I currently just possess the FCC - Technician level amateur radio license. It's well worth it, it costs $15 and lasts 10 years. When you upgrade, it resets the clock. Also, it only costs $15 PER TESTING SESSION. So, you could technically walk in with no license, pay $15, take the tests, and walk out as an Amateur Extra (highest level). I've been lazy with my licensing, mainly because of college and lack of monetary flow, but I am dedicated towards going back to test out for my General & AE.

I'm also looking to acquire my GROL (General Radiotelephone Operator License), to go with my soon-to-be-acquired OUPV (6-pack) captain's license. =)

>> No.227751
File: 66 KB, 1765x1244, WES51L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When in doubt, google it! There's a lot of good websites out there, but they're too numerous to list. eham.net is wonderful for equipment reviews. QRZ.com has a dedicated forum that is very knowledgeable. Worldwidedx is great for ham & cb... cbradiotalk.com is CB specific, and thus, has a lot of questionable personalities on there, but it is still full of a lot of good info.

Ham Radio Outlet
Allied Electronics
Mouser
RFparts.com
Digikey