[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 14 KB, 220x220, 220px-In_the_aeroplane_over_the_sea_album_cover_copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
213142 No.213142 [Reply] [Original]

I'm an Australian currently spending time in America and I've been buying a lot of vinyl records in which I aim to send back. The USPS website hasn't really been much help in letting me know the limits and costs of what I will be able to send, but I was wondering if any of you had experience with shipping large packages internationally. I'll need a box that is over 12" by 12" (the dimensions of an LP). I have around 50 records so far, and I would ideally like to be able to send as many as I can for a reasonable price. Any help?

Pic semi-related.

>> No.213149

"Media" mail would probably be the cheapest
Butt will probably take a few weeks to get to you

>> No.213150

See if vinyl qualifies as media mail.

>> No.213151

>>213149
Actually why not just bring them back with you instead of shipping them???

>> No.213155

>>213151
Cool, I will investigate this, thanks.
>>213149
I am saving carry on luggage space (I have a large bag) but I would like to send back at least enough so that bringing some back in my luggage isn't too much of an issue. I'll probably end up splitting the amounts somehow, but the less I need to carry the better.

>> No.213164

Ok, so I checked out Media Mail and it appears that records will qualify under the definition of "sound recordings". The USPS website doesn't really provide much more information, I guess I'll probably just have to go down to the post office and see what they have to say about it. Any other ideas/knowledge?

>> No.213262

>>213142
Do you happen to live in or near Adelaide? If so, what would I have to do for you to get you to go to the head offices of a company called Ellex and tell them that they suck a million cocks and I hope they get cancer and die? Ideally I'd like you to do it for the lulz, but I'd consider cash.

>> No.213264

>>213164
really postal workers don't give a shit
just tell them you want to send your package media mail
9 out of 10 times they wont even ask you what's in it

>> No.213302

>>213262
Unfortunately not, I'll be heading back to Melbourne.
>>213264
Since I've never used USPS before, can I just show up to the post office with all my records in a sealed box with an address on it and they will ship it?

>> No.213320

>>213302
>walk in with sealed box
>"I want to ship this to Ausfailia media mail."
>"What's in it?"
>"Discs."
>"Ok that'll be $47.95"

>> No.213325

>>213320
The system works.

>> No.213337

There are a couple of problems with the advice here... first and foremost is the fact that media mail service is not available for overseas shipments.

Secondly is the fact that you will have to fill out a customs declaration, and I would advise against lying on that.

For just under $50 you can ship a medium priority flat rate box to Australia. The wide & short medium box has dimensions of 13 5/8" by 11 7/8" by 3 3/8" and you may put up to 20 Lbs of stuff in it.

The large flat rate box is 12" by 12" by 5 1/2", also has a 20Lb limit and costs roughly $60 to ship to Aus.

Using your own boxes to minimize bulk tends to be more expensive rather than less. The USPS has an easier time dealing with their own fixed box sizes, so they charge you less for using them.

>> No.213348

It will probably be fairly expensive since records are pretty heavy. Just make sure before you ship you indicate somehow that that shit is fragile.

I'd shit a brick if I received my vinyl cracked, bent or warped

>> No.213387

>>213337
The flat rate boxes are a good idea, but I can see problems with the 12"x12" box, considering that these are the exact measurements of an LP. You wouldn't have any room for bubble wrap etc, which would be wise. If this one was an inch greater on each dimension it would be perfect.

There's gotta be something more practical, like what do record stores use when they get shipments from the USA?

>> No.213409

>>213348
I never understood the whole FRAGILE thing. Are we just expected to trust that postal workers will take special care of something because it happens to have FRAGILE stamped on it?

>> No.213411

>>213409
while working wuth a company that shipped out via UPS we always slapped those FRAGILE stickers on anything we were worried about. It was meaningless to the UPS system (really. ask a driver) and only added to make the receivers feel better.

>> No.213418

>>213387

Record stores use freight shipping or couriers at highly discounted corporate rates.

Unfortunately the instant a box is 13" or greater on any side (and not a flat rate box), the USPS considers it a large parcel and you're looking at over $120 to ship maybe 18 LPs in a box 14" on a side.

>>213409
>Are we just expected to trust that postal workers will take special care of something because it happens to have FRAGILE stamped on it?

Pretty much. Sometimes the workers actually heed the stickers, but not often.

Some shipping companies actually offer fragile handling service for a small surcharge, in which case employees are trained to handle the parcel according to safer procedures. ie: don't throw fragile shit or put it at the bottom of a pallet.

Bear in mind that if the company offers this service and you opt for it, the company will have their own fragile labels or decals, which you must use. Any other fragile markings you put on the parcel aside from the company ones mean jack fucking squat to the 500Lb gorilla in the warehouse.

>> No.213425

>>213418
I guess then right now it looks like I may be going for the USPS flat rate large box, but I would still need to figure out the problem of it not having any space to account for bubble wrap/packing materials since it's 12" x 12". Would a layer or two of bubble wrap between each record stacked on top of each other work well enough?

>> No.213429

>>213425

By far the most important thing is to secure everything inside the parcel from shifting around. Padding between items is pretty irrelevant unless they're brittle and may collide with each other.

The next most important thing is to ensure the parcel is as resistant to crushing as you can make it.

Finally, make sure it's taped up fucking tight so the tape doesn't let go or the cardboard doesn't split open. A little strip across the top and bottom flaps that barely goes down an inch on either side is completely worthless. You should see some of the merchandise I get from China; they wrap the whole god damn box in a layer of packing tape when they ship it.

A parcel taking a blow to a side or being speared by a forklift is far, far more rare than having its contents grind each other to dust or getting crushed by having 100lbs of other shit stacked on top of it on a pallet.

>> No.213432

>>213429
So as long as I make sure the records have no way of moving around and I tape up the box like a motherfucker I should be alright? It's not like I'm shipping anything super valuable or anything, just as long as it's pretty likely it'll get through without any damage I'll be happy.

>> No.213435

>>213320

Why did I read that as "dicks"?

>> No.213438

>>213432

That's about the best you can hope for. Since LPs in sleeves can't really damage each other stacked flat, padding should only be at the top and bottom of the box (and put whatever you can squeeze along the sides, if anything). Just make sure it's packed tight. Under no circumstances should any side of it be able to cave in.

Wrap some tape on that and your box will be the one causing the damage when pitted against other parcels. Survival of the fittest, baby.

>> No.213445

>>213438
Thanks heaps man, and to everyone else who shared info, helped a lot.