[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 164 KB, 800x600, supplies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
211398 No.211398 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: I build the most comfortable Grados in the world using Beyerdynamic DT880 pads, Sennheiser HD414 pads, a circle cutter, some 3/16" thick Elmer's foam board and some superglue. I know my webcam sucks, deal with it.

The Grados are SR80i's modded with 4 holes vented, felt-dampened chambers and drivers, replacement grilles and foam padding glued to the headband.

Here we have our supplies for making the Grado adapters for the DT880 pads. A company sells wooden adapters for the DT880 pads for over 200 dollars. I'm going to make adapters for less than 20 dollars worth of materials.

>> No.211400
File: 160 KB, 800x600, cutouts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>211398

Here we have:

- Foam rings cut with the circle cutter which fit perfectly into the DT880 pads' stretchy inner circle
- Sennheiser HD414 pads with the front part cut out with the circle cutter to as wide as the hole which stretches and fits onto the Grados
- The thin foam circles which came with the DT880 pads
- Krazy Glue with a brush applicator which I found quite handy for this particular task.

>> No.211401
File: 195 KB, 800x600, adaptersinvelourpads.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>211400

The adapters fit snugly into the DT880 pads' stretchy inner circles as shown here. You then simply slip the HD414 pads onto the Grados and...

>> No.211402
File: 145 KB, 529x529, finalproduct.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>211401

...the result is the most comfortable Grados in the world. I can wear these for hours now.

>> No.211403
File: 57 KB, 608x356, eq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>211402

The mod scoops the mids and makes the highs sibilant, but it also adds delicious soundstage which makes the cans sound speaker-like and powerful.

The following EQ setting compensates for the changes to the sound signature the mod makes as well as the inherent peaks and valleys in the driver's voicing. The result is a warm, fairly neutral response through the mids and highs with a pleasant bass boost.

But really, this mod is all about comfort and I could probably sleep in these now, they're that comfortable.

>> No.211406
File: 1.08 MB, 1600x1800, mostcomfortablegrados.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And finally in handy one-jpg format if anyone wants to try this themselves.

>> No.211646

Awesome write up. And nice cans - I have the SR80 and they need some new foam...

>> No.211707

Bit off topic, but my wires broke down on my Grado sr60is and I found what I thought was the spot and soldered it back up, but it still gives out in one ear.

What will I need to replace the wire?

I'm guessing I'll need 4 wires, a neg and a pos for the left, and a neg and a pos for the right, but will any old 4 wires do? Also can I just pull the terminator off the current wire and stick it on because that's fine.

I'd also like to redo it with a nylon cover so it doesn't kink and cut the wire like this jumprope of a cover these Grados currently have.

And if possible I'd like to be able to do this for under $20.

>> No.211766

>>211707

First thing first: I would make damn sure you can even find and verify that the connection to the voice coil in the can that isn't working... is working... before you spend money on parts for it. I would search / ask head-fi for pictures on how to PROPERLY desolder / resolder Grado drivers. I've heard it's possible to, either by desoldering or ripping the cable out physically, permanently damage the connection / wire leading to the voice coil. At this point you'd need someone who REALLY knows what they're doing to repair the drivers, or you'd need new drivers.

If you're going to recable them I'd recommend soldering input jacks into the Grados themselves as this removes the possibility of damaging the drivers by yanking on the cord too hard. I'd also recommend using silver cable which could get expensive but will improve the sound quality, and no this isn't snake oil, it really does, google it.

>> No.211807
File: 89 KB, 600x410, grado_earpads_graph_compare_110319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>211646

>I have the SR80 and they need some new foam...

The DT880 pads can't be beat for comfort.

For sound quality without EQ I'd recommend the TTVJ flat pads: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=127

These are the original pads supplied for the HP 1, 2 and 3 and they'll give you the truest "Grado sound."

Here's a graph of how various pads affect the sound of SR225i's.

>> No.211867

>Krazy Glue
>Francais sur les paquets

How many of those products were from crappy tire?