[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 196 KB, 1118x754, FC 29 - Make a Foxhole Radio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
208966 No.208966 [Reply] [Original]

Hi fellow /diy/nosaures,
I am looking for a cheap chip(SoC) which allow to make wifi router/acces point.
i found lots of stuff (realteck, HDwireless and others) but I can't acces to any datasheet/user manual.
I need wifi (no bluetooth or zigbee or any non standard protocol), the design will be small (one or two inch diameter, but the power consumption is not a problem
By the way, I'm an electronic engineer (really it's my job, i am pay to design circuits) , I'll answer your question as well as as i can

>> No.208974

I'm guessing that there aren't any IC's out there that you will be able to make use of without a reflow station?

If you are an EE, why don't you request a sample through your work email? ;) datasheets flow...

>> No.208976

I really hate to have to go there, but if you're a degreed engineer, how come you can't source your own parts, and more to the point, why are you coming here for advice?

In any event, as you should already know, it'll take more than just a radio chip, and there will be a considerable amount of firmware dev necessary to make it work.

Since you're trying to implement a very garden-variety function, the other relevant question is: Why are you not using a COTS solution, instead of investing the not inconsiderable amount of NRE to develop your own? Cisco and other companies make excellent commercial-grade WAPs that can be easily embedded into whatever project you're working on.

BTW I'm an experienced electronics engineering tech myself, so while I don't have a degree, this ain't my first rodeo, either.