[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 90 KB, 756x567, dirty_pond[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
207953 No.207953 [Reply] [Original]

There's this nasty pond of a fairly decent size in the park. It has a few fish, as well as some ducks and geese. I would like to improve the health of the pond so that I may prey upon its population without poisoning myself or having food that tastes like shit.

Where do I start? If you guys can have me look for certain things to assess, I can go check it out again the day after tomorrow.

>pic semi-related, it's a pond

>> No.207957

throw tic-tacs in.

>> No.207958

>>207957
Because healthy fish are mint-flavored?

>> No.207960

>>207958
the orange ones are more citrus flavored

>> No.207962

Won't work; the pond is part of the drainage system for the surrounding landscape.

Have fun drinking your gutter water, Op.

>> No.207963

Check the pH of the water.

If you are allowed to, use a skimmer to clear excess floating algae and slime off the surface.

Check runoff drainage into the pond, divert/filter if possible.

Get some zebra mussels from someone and toss them into pond.

>> No.207966

>>207960
the orange ones are orange flavored. cant believe you didnt grasp that.

>> No.207968

>>207966

They're dont really taste like oranges though. It's all artificial flavored anyways. The most i'm comfortable saying about them is that they're citrus flavored.

>> No.207969

ITT: Op asks how to undo millions of years of evolved, automatic environmental processes.

Enjoy your shit pond. You're stuck with it.

>> No.207975

Bitches love my lake

>> No.207976

1. You need a filtration unit for any pond if you want it to be clean.
2. Either a natural filtration utilizing bacteria and lots of porous stone(lava rock) or commercial filtration.
3. Bacteria, bactera, bacteria, buy large scale pond bacteria, it will clear the water, remove sludge, etc...
4. Look for chemicals that help with slime coating of the fish, throw in some catfish.

>> No.207979
File: 1.94 MB, 2592x1944, IMG_20110801_154839.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>207975
Forgot my lake.

>> No.208031

Mussels might be an option.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_mussel

>> No.208226

I've read everyone's suggestions; I'll type out a proper response later. Thanks for the input.

>>207969
I'm pretty sure it's at least somewhat artificial: there are concrete steps around the border, with a grate opposite the end of the very small stream that feeds into it (it's usually dry, from what I've seen).

>> No.208233

>>207953
you didn't really say anything about what you actually want to improve. Nasty can mean a lot of things, bad as well as good.

>> No.208235

>>208233
I guess a better inquiry would be one in regards to assessing the health of the pond and its meat-creatures.

>> No.208241

>>208235
can't be too bad from an environmental point of view if there are fish living in it. They die pretty quickly if something's wrong. So it's probably to do with how the pond looks optically.

>> No.208270

>eating fish from drainage pond
>mfw carp
enjoy your bottom feeding fish op. thats fucking gross. im thinking about vomiting right now

>> No.208276
File: 69 KB, 640x480, turtle_pond.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is now a lake thread.

>> No.208285

Iris plant is said to have properties that purify ponds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(plant)#In_water_purification

Good luck!

>> No.208291
File: 217 KB, 1600x1067, aermotor wind pump.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Add a small Aermotor windmill to provide water aeration.

>> No.208417

I dont know anything about ponds, but most of the ponds ive heard about all have "grass carp" in them and I think people put them in to help with the water clarity. Theres a small fishing pond on the edge of town, and they have big signs asking people to throw back the grass carp because they help keep the rest of the water clean for the other fish.

>> No.208425
File: 1.58 MB, 350x272, science-big-swig-of-it.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First add some snails/mussels. Let them start to to thrive.

Then, add some fish that prey on the snails/mussles.

After that, bring in some frogs and small birds to help the mosquito situation.

And then, you'll want to add various kinds of snakes to control the bird/frog population, followed by some larger birds of prey and large snapping turtles.

bing, bang, boom. You're own lake.

>> No.208441

>>208425
Continued:

And then you need some big cats (think cougars and jaguars) to take care of the bird population.

After that you will want to get a couple of rhinos to regularly trample the big cats.

Rhinos will multiply uncontrollably, however, if let to their own devices, so make sure to get some elephants in the as well.

Elephants have no natural enemies though, so after a month or two the elephants will have eaten all the surrounding flora.

This is where you bring in the national garde.

The national garde will grow restless and start to rape the local populace. A tactical nuclear bomb will take care of that, however.

Good luck, OP!

>> No.208455

Pretty sure that oranges are citrus fruits.

>> No.208469

Just make some orgonite and throw 10 or 20 pieces around the sides and in the lake. This usually clears it up within a year or so.

Go to orgonite.info to find out how to make it or just youtube it for lots of info.

>> No.208481

>>208441
what the fuck are garde?

>> No.208488

>>207953
if your pond looks that nasty it won't be quick OR easy to clean it. Where i used to go camping on the weekend they had 7 lakes and about 2 of them looked like that on a good day.

needless to say they were always dumping different chemicals or animals in to try to clean it but no matter what they did it just got scummed up again. after a couple years they just gave up and let them stay scummed.

>> No.208493

It might be collecting fertilizer drained from surrounding grassy areas.

>> No.208508

Barley straw.........no shit, look it up. Put a couple bales of barley straw in the pond, it sucks up the algae.

>> No.208660

>>208291
This may be the best idea. You need to get that water moving. Also a big filter, see if you can pump water up to a 55 gallon drum filled with sand and holes drilled in the bottom. Then let the water come out of it over some kind of little waterfall going back into the pond.

>> No.208667
File: 11 KB, 225x225, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.208688
File: 2.27 MB, 240x134, gillian.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>208667
Oh, Britta's in this?

>> No.208706

This is not your lake, correct?
Then you had better get permission before doing anything.
And check your local fish and game office before adding any new species.

>> No.208716

>>208706
Oh god, i knew one of these pussies would show up.

jesus christ, just dump some chlorine tablets in there and check the ph and say that you're the park supervisor if anyone asks. goddamn.

>> No.208718

>>208716
I don't care about permission and whatever, but invasive species are srs bizness.

>> No.208720

>>208716
>chlorine
>natural water source
No.

Aeration is the optimum choice. It would encourage beneficial bacterium that would destroy the "swampiness" of the pond.

>> No.208790

>>208720
>Aeration is the optimum choice.

this.
This is why you so-often see a simple spraying fountain in the middle of decorative lakes at corporate parks or better-maintained city parks.

If you think you can supply the pump/sprayer, consider reaching out to the parks department responsible for this body of water. There might be a power line run to a nearby gazebo or under a tree somewhere they will let you use for this.

Another source would be your local ag' exchange office. They might be able to suggest some plants or fish that are legal, locally viable and effective, as well as a source for testing (to see if the plants or fish could live there) along with the plants or fish themselves in some quantity.

Funding all of this could be a pain.
Reach out to local business, perhaps you can place a change jar near their register with a "save anon lake" message. You might not be forced to have an actual charitable organization but iiwu i would keep very careful records and receipts, just in case.

>> No.208822

OP read this. It has to do with mushrooms/mycelium cleaning bodies of water. Though, I'm pretty sure running water is key to the solution detailed in the link. The writer is the leading mycologist in the world iirc.

http://www.fungi.com/mycotech/farmwaste.html

>> No.208846

>>208241

I think you mean visually.

>> No.208848

>>208291
>>208790

Water aeration sounds okay. Probably the lake is overflowed with phosphates and nitrates, which cause water eutrophication. That means, that organisms, that need O2 to live are dieing, cause of:

1) overflowed population since of nutrient increase for water plants(phosphates and nitrates)
2) since there's more organisms - there's more of dead organisms, that are being decomposed by decomposers
3) since there's good environment for decomposers theyr population starts to expand
4) decomposing of organic materials requires oxygen
5) there's less and less of oxygen in the lake every day

6) pilaf has formed on the top of the water, so it does not let thru the light into the water, which lets the plants do the photosynthesis.

tl;dr the pond is becoming a forest

>> No.208851

sounds like a manmade pond
the problem generally is that there is no flow, just rainwater coming in and evaporation
essentially giving you a giant unflushed toilet full of goose and duck crap
aeration may help, though for a large body you're going to need something industrial and leave it running fulltime
the next problem being that OP doesn't not own the park and probably is looking to do things on the cheap

tl;dr: forget it, OP

>> No.208854

a pool filter and a genrator

>> No.208857

i wonder, and this is pure speculation, if some kind of powder for septic tanks with bacteria that eat fecal matter might help

>> No.210276

Human urine is sterile, so pissing in the pond actually cleans it.

>> No.212003

>>208469
This was unexpected on the /diy/ board... I don't anticipate anyone else knows what you're talking about though. These things have a habit of disappearing after being gifted.

>> No.212024

>>210276

Trollscience at it's finest.

>> No.212026

>>212003
>orgonite
>Turns negative energy into positive energy.

>nope.jpg

>> No.212034

>>212003
>secret orgone energy club

>> No.212129

Plant lots of small plants and get some water running by digging or scooping a stream outta there.

I know from experience.

>> No.212237

I always wanted to ask.. Would it be possible to make a small lake or medium pond by yourself? I love fishing and I think it would improve the atmosphere around my house. I live in the countryside

>> No.212248

I know from all the years of drinking water..

1. First stop doing your laundry in it, soap kills
the good bacteria in it and your left with only the
really strong crap, Totally okay if you don't use any soaps.

2. Get down to the local supermarket, and buy about a
carton worth of tang! Pour all the contains straight in
and walk around it to help stir it in,

For you dicks that suggested tic-tacs, learn to science!

3. Poor 25% of the volume of water with vodka, bottle that shit and sell it as a girl drink to the tourists.

4. Once you sell that lot, you can now afford to move to a place with a nicer pond or pool

>> No.213388
File: 203 KB, 1280x720, Picture 424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>208822
>>208822
>>208822
>>208822
>>208822

That would be a start. Go to the grocery store and buy some Oyster mushrooms. Try to find some grown locally. I am guessing you are in Hawaii by the pic.

Next boil some cardboard. Let it cool and take the oysters and layer them in the cardboard. Wrap them in opaque garbage bags and let them sit for one month.

After one month take them to the park and toss the sheets of innoculated Oyster mushroom spawn about. Oyster mushrooms not only eat anything in their presence they are also very tasty and beneficial to your health.

I would also suggest introducing water hyacinth depending upon your local laws. Scoop the hyacinth out and feed it to a goat or a cow when it is mature and get a new best friend.

>> No.213396

>>212237
do you have ANY source of moving water going through your property? creek, stream, etc?

if so, you can easily make a small lake

>> No.213763
File: 60 KB, 268x265, 1336509186725.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>grew up near a nice pond
>use to play there as atalented /diy/erall day erry day
>as I grew older it turned into a shitty swamp
>people moved out of the houses surrounding the swamp
>mfw I just realized that for fun my friends and I made a dam so the water would stop draining out
>mfw I also caught and accidentally killed most of the frogs and all of the crawfish.

oh god what have I done.