[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 253 KB, 997x593, plumnoob.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2049541 No.2049541 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/, any advice for a would be apprentice plumber? I realized that I fucked up getting a meme art degree, so I've decided to break into trades. Plumbing seems like a decent fit for me. Ultimately; I'd like to specialize in new construction, but I don't mind dirty jobs for decent pay and a valuable skill. I'd like to build my own home one day... well several really, and I figure that being an experienced plumber could greatly help with that venture as well. Any advise on resources, guides, etc? I have my interview soon. Thanks.

>> No.2049555

Don’t be a felon or a druggie, show up in time, and you’ve pretty much got the job. Also you will be helping with the shitty jobs until you’ve moved up the ladder to do new construction. Everyone starts at the bottom. You’ve got to learn the stuff before you’re good enough to put it in a new house.

>> No.2049557
File: 2.28 MB, 1280x720, 1614771107958.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049555
Holy moly checked, yes... I understand it will take sometime and that there are plumber 'ranks' and varying certifications, ultimately I would like to do new construction... I understand that will take sometime (years). I try to always be punctual and I don't do drugs, thanks for the reply.

>> No.2049562
File: 97 KB, 442x532, 3C3D646C-5726-4D82-BF2C-9EEC7FAC755B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049541
Keep your mouth shut and learn as much as you can. It will take some time to know enough, but a good apprentice/helper is always thinking ahead for what his journeyman is going to need next. E.g. the next tool he might need, or the next piece of info, whatever. If you see he’s cutting a piece of pvc, or something make sure you have the glue and primer open and ready for him, and that the glue can is full, shit like that. Always anticipate. Plumbing is not hard but experience goes along way, especially with proper venting procedures and such. If you go non-union, your goal should to eventually work up to a supervisory role or start your own business. Otherwise being union is the only other way to go if you want good benefits and pay while being just a journeyman.
Over time, try to get certs that will differentiate yourself from others, like backflow testing certs, backflow repair, medical gas certification, and whatever your states version of a master/plumbing contractor license is. You will never know everything about plumbing and will always be learning something new. Good help is hard to find, good luck.

>> No.2049564

>>2049541
One other thing I forgot to say is if you’re going to do something, do it right. There are a lot of guys out there that put in half-assed, and shoddy looking work. What you install represents you. Care about your work and care about the customer that may suffer if things aren’t done properly.

>> No.2049565

>>2049562
Thanks for the well thought out reply, fren. Can one start their own business as a journeyman? I imagine if so, you'd be mitigated to more simple/dirtier/smaller paying jobs, correct? Also what happens when you advance from apprentice to journeyman? I would imagine that if you continue to work for the employer which got you to that level, then they change your responsibilities and pay grade?

>> No.2049567

>>2049565
Depends on the state, in my state which is Florida, you must have a certified plumbing contractors license. A journeyman license is useless in florida since it is a right to work state. I’d assume other states have something similar.

>> No.2049569

>>2049567
Thanks again for the reply.

>> No.2049578

>>2049565
I forgot to respond to your whole response before. As you gradually get more years in you’ll get more responsibility and that should come with raises too, of course. How much depends on the company if you’re non-union. I have worked both non-union and union. Is the apprenticeship you’re looking at currently a union one?

>> No.2049592

Before you break off on your own make sure you know the rates of work and have a good insurance policy if a job goes sideways. Small business is a challenge to start but after word of mouth gets around you'll actually get busy so be patient and try to not doubt yourself if you really want to do it. Never forget to charge state taxes, keep all business related receipts work van, fuel, tools, supplies, uniform, ppe, advertising costs, rental equipment, anything that costs money to work. All business expenses will be a credit to tax owed so if you invest in your business you won't just throw all your money to the government. Good luck on your goals op!

>> No.2049669
File: 3.07 MB, 4032x1960, 20200424_145501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049541
Shit don't flow uphill. Payday is Friday. Don't bite your fingernails.

t. Licensed plumber in 2 states.