[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 235 KB, 1024x724, 20180917-083249-5c21e34c-bf3b-4001-ab0e-12e74010c412-pv_web.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2049143 No.2049143 [Reply] [Original]

Hey anons,
I have some property in the southeast that for some retarded reason the previous owner decided to randomly plant water oaks all over with no regard. Now that I want to utilize the land I've been having to remove them myself. They are about 12"-24" wide trunks, I don't know much about tree removal as I have never done it before I bought the land, but have spent the last year chopping them down and cutting them up with an axe. I'm able to fell, strip, and cut up about 1 a day with an axe, for a total of about 2 a week when working on it (about 30 total over the last year). My shoulders are killing me so I bought a 3' one man crosscut saw, I sharpened it with a bastard mill file, it's very sharp and properly done.
However the saw blade keeps binding on the oak after cutting about 1/2" in. The wood is very wet and the saw dust isn't taking out well, it's all stuck to the blades.
I'm thinking I could probably do it fairly easily with another guy manning the other side of the saw but can't really prevent the saw blade from binding and flexing when I push the blade, pulling is fine.
I haven't lubed the blade, but am not sure that would make a huge difference, maybe I'm wrong.
I'm looking for any suggestions,
are oak trees really this hard to cut?

>> No.2049145

>>2049143
should mention, saw is cheap ($250) Chinese made (isn't everything nowadays?) blade. I can't even find a tool that isn't anymore.

>> No.2049148

>>2049143
Do you have a picture of the actual log. If you keep getting pinch you'll have to come from below if possible. Or use wedges.

Also have a picture of the crosscut you sharpen? Not doubting your ability but crosscut shaping usually is something that needs to be done with the upmost care depending on how dull its gotten.

>> No.2049153

>>2049145
Any reason you're using a crosscut instead of a chainsaw?

Also yeah any crosscut that isn't like 70 years old is pretty much garbage. Different manufacturing process.

>> No.2049157
File: 1.63 MB, 720x875, Screenshot_20210307-104505.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049153
It's gonna sound lame but,
I just really want to cultivate my land using methods from pre industrial era. I've been tilling with a shovel and pitchfork, hand dug my own well and installed a hand pump, and built all my own chicken coop/rabbit hutch.
Pic is the limb I cut this morning to get my practice in before attempting anything serious.
Had to take it with an axe most of the way. Will post pics of saw teeth, probably shouldn't have assumed I sharpened it right as I'm a novice and am being overconfident and arrogant by assuming it, but it is sharp af and cut myself when sharpening in the vice (wasn't wearing gloves at first)

>> No.2049159
File: 447 KB, 444x971, Screenshot_20210307-104423.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049148
This is the teeth after cutting this morning.

>> No.2049161
File: 759 KB, 720x950, Screenshot_20210307-104335.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049148
Some if the teeth that didn't cut this morning, I staggered everytooth (flipped sides of saw so every tooth is cross cut)
Maybe I did it wrong? Like I said before, I'm being too confident.

>> No.2049190

>>2049161
Hey nothing wrong with learning, just realize that there is probably a lot of nuance you're missing out on.

First off most good crosscut are old single forged pieces of metal that were made to last for decades if not centuries. Most if not all the modern stuff is far from this level of quality and usually is just pressed sheet metal thus you get more bending and overall poorer cuts.

You can sometimes find some good crosscut at old antique shops or even old barns, but to get them up to working order you either need someone who knows how to sharpen crosscuts.

It's a skill take takes a while to master due to the time and precision required. In my state there are only 2-3 people the NFS and similar land agencies trust to maintain and sharpen their heirloom saws in the entire state. But since you have a cheaper dude you can probably just take the time to learn how it's properly done if learning is more your goal. Just realize this isn't a skill you pick up in a few months. You can read a bit about it from the forest service. If you just look up "Crosscut Saw Manual - USDA Forest Service"

Also look up "Saws That Sing: A Guide to Using Crosscut Saws - USDA Forest Service" is for crosscuts in general, how to use them and be able to size up and properly plan cuts to avoid getting your shit pinched. There is a fair amount of forces you have to contend with, but if you know what you are doing you can mitigate most issues you'll run into.

As for your original post, unless time is not your priority I'd recommend you learn a bit more about how to use a cross cut, but and maybe how to do some amateur sharpening.

Otherwise just rent a chainsaw, learning how to use one is a great skill to have. Really the only reason crosscuts still exist is because you can't use motors of any kind in wilderness areas, thus the crosscut comes to play for clearing trails and maintaining sites. That and the small group of enthusiasts who love them.

>> No.2049197

>>2049143
Check the set of your teeth. The teeth might not have enough set to clear the plate. Set should be added gradually and test cut until it cuts easily without binding. Excessive set is bad though as it essentially means you are removing more material than you need to (excessively wide kerf), slowing you down.

Also
https://www.shedtherapy.com/create-tooth-geometry-on-great-american-saw/
is info on sharpening your particular tooth pattern.

>> No.2049199

>>2049190
Thanks anon, I'll check out that book and keep working on it. I guess I'm just going to continue to axe everything for the meantime.

>> No.2049200

>>2049197
Thanks anon, will read.

>> No.2049217

>>2049143
How are you dealing with the stumps?

>> No.2049221

>>2049217
Shovel and axe. Then I roll them away, if the stump is too heavy to lift out of the hole I dig a ramp to roll it up. I'm strong af though and I don't think most people could do it the retard cave man way I am.

>> No.2049229

>>2049217
>>2049221
If you have any suggestions on making it easier I'm open for it, like I said, I'm a novice retard. I'm literally just grugging my way through this.
I've almost removed all limbs from that tree with an axe. I took a break for a couple hours too examine my saw and watch my daughter. I'll probably have it down and cut up by sundown.
Will probably handle stump next weekend due to wasting my morning.

>> No.2049389

>>2049221
I'd get a block and tackle and build a tripod crane to get them out.

>> No.2049605

>>2049221
For the sake of your body please consider modern equipment.

>> No.2049617

In case anybody is actually following up on this, the chinese made saw is now dead. A buddy and I broke the handles off trying to saw. Gonna return it for my money and hit flea markets to try and find an older crosscut saw, I really want to do this as dumb as it may sound.
Tree is cut down to a stump now, branches stacked, fire wood stacked for splitting.
Gonna dig out the stump next weekend to make room for a banana tree and another garden bed.
>>2049605
That's what my wife keeps telling me lol