[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 979 KB, 3600x3385, Nintendo-2DS-Electric-Blue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2044614 No.2044614 [Reply] [Original]

I'm trying to make a replica 2ds game shell, just the casing and nothing inside, with a few additional things like another analog stick and L2/R2 shoulder buttons. Don't know what or where to start so I'm asking here, even though I'm sure its been asked before.
Where do I start? Has anyone here ever successfully make a mod before, like a handheld device? Any kind of advice is welcomed

>> No.2044623

i'd say easiest is buying a 2ds shell from aliexpress/ebay then followed by 3d printing

>> No.2044635

I would start by buying a shell you can look at. What you're looking to do, I may assume from your description, is build a 2DS that has circle pad pro support, is that right? As long as you've verified it works with the 2DS at all, that should be doable. It essentially amounts to modifying the shell to fit more buttons. Granted you will also have to be able to fit more buttons while keeping the internals stable, so you may do well to look in benheck forums (or wherever those guys are nowadays) to see how people make cases for portable-converted video game systems (people who make portable ataris for example).

>> No.2044651

>>2044635
Those shells are basically what I wanted to end as. All I wanted to do was start from the ground and build up to that point. I Don't care about the inside, I just wanted to make a shell that has a few new designs and buttons.

>> No.2044660

>>2044651
so your goal is a proof of concept and not a functional device? In that case, why not go to /3/ and learn some 3D modeling, and do a render?

>> No.2044665

>>2044660
Ok, that makes sense. At least I might have a better chance at making it.

>> No.2044668

>>2044665
the other good thing is that if you ever wanted to make it into a reality, then being able to 3D model might help you to modify or wholly create a basis for which you could either 3D print or order custom a shell that would fit the needs.

>> No.2044788

>>2044614
If you already have one:
>Take birds eye view picture with ruler in frame.
>upload picture into CAD and measure size of 1 cm on the ruler.
>Scale image until 1cm on ruler matches 1 cm cad measurement.
>Trace the gaming device.