[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.10 MB, 3648x2736, 16133886815495752856670957783491.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2031636 No.2031636 [Reply] [Original]

Changing my light fitting and this is how it's connected.
But when I turn the switch on the breaker the light switch doesn't control it and the light remains on

Any advice so I can get my new light fitted properly

From what I know it's the old 1990s electric 3 grey cables

>> No.2031637

>>2031636
yeah mate you have fucked it.
you should have labelled the cables before you pulled them all out.
based on the assumption that its a feed in, feed out, and switch then:
two of the blacks should be together and connected to the neutral of the lamp
all of the reds should be connected together
the last black should have a piece of tape or heatshrink on it to mark it as a switched live and go to the live of the lamp.

unless you have a multimeter or you can find which of the cables goes to the switch some other way then you are going to struggle.

>> No.2031651

OP here

I never had labels on them in he first place. Its the 3rd light fitting I've had an issue with since moving into the house.

Thanks for your input I'll fiddle around and see what I can do thanks

>> No.2031766

>But when I turn the switch on the breaker the light switch doesn't control it and the light remains on
you might want en electrician

>> No.2032047

>>2031636
It may be just my eyes or the pic, but that cable kinda looks like 2.5mm mains cable.
Probably just me, but are you sure it isn't wired into the ring main lol

>> No.2032052

>>2031636
>But when I turn the switch on the breaker the light switch doesn't control it and the light remains on
So you know the red and black you have wired into the light fitting are a live and a neutral at least.
One of the other cables should be to a switch (one wire to the switch, one wire back.
The other set is probably another light, have you noticed any other ones not working since you rewired that one?

>> No.2032648
File: 11 KB, 320x146, eometer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2031636
1. pull the wall switch
2. inspect wires there
it might be a 3-way switch or a 3-way circuit miswired on two switches.

also a light switch is different from a circuit breaker. circuit breaker is the black thing in the electrical panel. if the light is still on when the circuit breaker in the panel is off you're pretty fucked: electrician time. but I suspect you're calling the switch the breaker which it's not.

also how do you know the light switch has fuckall to do with that fixture if it never goes off?

you should provide the fixture wires (blue and two browns is a little wtf? for a mere light) and anything in the junction bo... oh, there isn't a junction box. fuck. I guess look at the back of the switch and time to buy a voltage tester (shows hot wire, pic related) and possibly a multi-meter.

>> No.2033558

>>2032648
t. american