[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 114 KB, 600x800, BoB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
197285 No.197285 [Reply] [Original]

bug out bags. Whats in yours?

>> No.197290

Pot

>> No.197292

Nothing, because I'm too poor to get a backpack.

>> No.197293

please tell me you don't actually plan on carrying those heavy traps with you....

>> No.197299

>>197285
Hey OP, you have a bug out bag. Do you have a home plan? I stock food, water, ammo, and alcohol. The alcohol is cheap vodka and whiskey. It will be more valuable then gold if the shit hits the fan.

>> No.197300

You don't carry them everywhere, you keep them in an easily accessible location for when the shit hits the fan.

Currently planning mine, I've only got a few things so far.

>> No.197303

still at home with parents. only 17. they think that shits stupid..so no, no home plan yet.

>> No.197306

>>197299
This. A stock of moonshine will go a long way.

>> No.197307

Wool blanket, Mylar Blanket, Disposable ponchos, trash bags, road flares, change of clothes, camp stove with fueltabs, 2 sets of gloves, large tarp, 150ft paracord, 50ft heavy rope, dive knife, water bottles, markers, paper, few rags, few advil, water treatment tablets, magnesium firestarter, regular bic lighter. Plus EDC

>> No.197308

>>197303
Okay. I can't tell from your photo; do you have some rope and a tarp or piece of plastic for shelter? A magnesium/flint stick is better than a lighter or matches to start a fire. It doesn't matter if it gets wet. You can get them at Hell-Mart

>> No.197311

sorry, pic related but not mine, dont have a camera to take a picture. i have multiple knives, motorola talkies, fishing kit, first airtalented /diy/er#44; flash lights with extra batteries, a little food, multiple water bottles, compass, hatchet, 50ft. of rope, eating utensiles, and a roll of OD green duct tape...could be missing some stuff that i didnt think off.

>> No.197316
File: 278 KB, 717x633, biolite.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm adding one of these. Makes electricity from your fire.
Charge GPS

>> No.197319

How many knives do you need? Pick one pocket knife and one hunting knife. Weight matters. Are the talkies necessary? Consider a basic first aid kit(bandages(not the stick on ones), tourniquets, ace wrap). Look into water sterilization tabs(also at Hell-Mart) so you don't need to carry so much water all the time.

>> No.197325

>>197316
Forget your electronics. If the shit truly hits the fan GPS will be disabled buy the US government. They can do it and they will.

>> No.197329

64 blocks wood, 64 torches, 4 pickaxes, 2 swords, some grilled pork and some dirt blocksssss....

>> No.197332

in no special order:

surefire flash light and extra batteries
canteen and canteen cup
two thermal blankets
100 feet of para cord
three carabiners
2 liters of water
one fixed blade machete
one folding knife
$200 cash
ziplock bag with matches and dryer lint
ten antibiotic pills
small first aid kit
film container of cotton balls and petroleum jelly
two large plastic bags
can opener
one extra pair of socks
one extra pair of shoe laces

>> No.197333

>>197325

I'm not too worried I have my ipod and my marshmallows I will be relaxing while I wait for the power to come back on.

>> No.197336

>>197332
and I forgot about the magnesium bar, bottle of iodine and five snares. That's everything, I'm sure this time.

>> No.197338

Mine is a bug out bag lite, which I keep in my car. Waterproof bag containing: hatchet, treated wooden matches in air-tight container, compacted dryer lint in waterproof container, pencil and paper, compass, 2 gi poncho liners, 2 disposable ponchos, ibuprofen, freeze dried coffee, tweezers, a very sharp 4" folding knife. This is only meant to get me to my house where I have better supplies. I probably need water collection and purification, as well as high calorie foods. Socks would be a great idea, too.

>> No.197343

>>197285

knife, poncho, 550 cord, 100ft rappel rope.

>> No.197344

I keep this bag in my car

torch
leatherman
full tang knife
long sleeved shirt
short sleeved shirt
long pants
rain jacket
underwear & socks
water
trail mix & other long lasting snacks
writing pads & pens & pencils
ear plugs
papaw ointment
antiseptic
small scissors
tweezers
bandages
bandaids
wadding
tape
paracord
panadol & codine
anti-histamine
broad spectrum antibiotics
lighters
foil blanket
small sewing kit

>> No.197345

>>197344

also forgot radio & lots of spare batteries for torch & radio

>> No.197350

>In Alaska, list of what I keep in my truck

>All tools necessary to do any vehicle repair
>ten gallons of gas
>ten gallons of water
>box of MREs
>medical kit
>jump box, 1000 watt inverter, lots of rechargeable batteries and their charger (shit hits the fan I take batteries out of abandoned cars and use them to charge batteries)
>three 200 lumen flashlights
>water purification bottles

>> No.197353

never stopped to think about it before but I guess it makes total sense that /diy/ would be so well prepared.

>> No.197355

>>197350
ten gallons of water? I would think that in alaska water wouldn't be too difficult to come by...

>> No.197360

>>197355

In the winter I do not want to have to worry about melting my own in an emergency. In the summer it give me 10 gallons to go through before I need to worry about purifying my own. Giardia is not fun. Is also a quick backup to windshield fluid or antifreeze (which I also carry some small amounts of).

When the quake hits I will have very little time to strap my vw vanagon (full of even more supplies) onto the back of my truck with a tow-dolly and get out of town.

My vanagon/trailer/camper has
>two wood cutting axes
>jackstands
>saw
>power tools (that inverter will come in handy)
>more food
>clothing and bedding
>wood
>guns and ammunition

>> No.197378

Pro tip: aquarium/fish antibiotics are made with the same stuff used for human consumption....no rx need, real easy to rotate your stock if they expire....keep it on the d/l....also op where is your fire arm? Its a tool that could really make difference!

>> No.197387

cant buy one, only 17. 18 next month, buying a mosin negant, not a great SHTF gun but its all that i can afford.

>> No.197398

>>197387 save a few months, get a mossberg 500, it would be of better utility to you. Also consider ammo, 12ga shells of every type are every where....old ass russian may not be. Also go try to shoot skeet with it...lol...sounds silly, but if there is no game to be had a few wing shot pigeons may save your life!

>> No.197410

>>197378
The only antibiotics that really expire are Tetracycline's...and by expire they breakdown into chemicals that destroy your kidneys. The rest will last forever.

>> No.197414

>>197398

I am with him. While the mossberg 500/maverick 88 is a piece of shit, it can still take some abuse.

For ammunition you should get
>A few packs (at least) of Brenneke Black Magic 3-inch slugs
>Some 00 buck (federal has some in copper which are good for home defense, they are made to not go through walls after they go through people)

>> No.197416

Aspirin, have shit tons of this.

Is good for everything

>> No.197417

no, its not good for everything. its good for one thing. thats thinning your blood. think before you type.

>> No.197421

>>197417

I am sorry, you are right.

It is good for thinning blood, thinning your blood had all sorts of amazing effects that you should keep a blood thinning agent around for.

>> No.197442

should keep a multitude of over the counter drugs and reserch uses, could be a lot of help if needed.

>> No.197450
File: 313 KB, 1500x1125, honey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>197378
Honey is a natural anti-biotic which has been uses for dressing wounds for ages. Throw a few honey straws in your bag if you're worried about antibiotics going bag. It's impossible for microbes to live in honey making it a natural topical antibiotic excellent for treating wounds. Also when honey combines with water, or bodily fluids like that from a cut, it produces hydrogen peroxide. It's also pack with calories and makes a great comfort food for when you're feeling bad, like when the world is ending.

>> No.197455
File: 16 KB, 420x275, potassium-iodide-tablets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since this thread is going in the direction of food/medicine it needs to be pointed out you should have some iodine to protect your thyroid from radiation poisoning. Liquid lugol's iodine is hard to find because the FDA is trying to ban it supposedly because it's used in the production of meth. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic, anti-viral and anti-fungal agent which can be used to treat wounds, sterilizing equipment, treating drinking water, and WILL protect the thyroid from radiation.

>> No.197473 [DELETED] 
File: 29 KB, 450x338, 1333108497354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

condoms, lube, contraceptives and duct tape

>> No.197479

>>197455
> WILL protect the thyroid from radiation

That's mostly overblown. If you're low on iodine, then taking non-radioactive iodine pills can help you because it will keep radioactive iodine from being taken up by your thyroid. But if you already have a reasonable amount of iodine in your diet, taking iodine pills will do jack shit against radiation.

Anyway, iodine is useful for water sterilization and antisepsis, so go ahead and put it in your survival kit, but don't fool yourself that it'll help you in a nuclear catastrophe.

>> No.197481

>>197479
I live within a few miles of a nuclear power plant. They give out iodine pills to everyone in the mail in case of an accident. You're suppose to take them as quickly as possible in case of an accident so your body has all the iodine it needs before fallout. As a preventative measure yes, but as a treatment for radiation sickness, nope. Still important to have in your bag, or may taped to the outside of your bag so the first thing you do when you pick it up is take the pills.

>> No.197591

Lets talk about BOV's (bug out vehicles) any ideas for some? and do you have one.

>> No.197762
File: 38 KB, 372x361, wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>197591

i currently have a 04 jeep wrangler as my bov, but im probably going to be switching it out soon for a subaru forester.

i also have an old m416 1/4 ton trailer that i rebuilt and added a lid to it . that way i can lock it down and keep rain out. i keep the trailer loaded up with some tools and i have a propane tank mounted on it as well as some jerry cans.

>> No.197801
File: 131 KB, 999x749, 100_1426.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>197591
1990 Honda CRX.

It have a 102" whip for HF...I'm going to get a tunable coil to mount at the base. That should make it resonant on 28 thru 7 mhz. I'm also going to get a longwire antenna, so if I'm stationary, I can just hook the wire into the mount, then throw the wire up into a tree or something.

I also have a 5/8 wave on my roof for 2m VHF.

Car gets roughly 50 mpg.

I run fairly tall cheapo Firestone Winterforce snow tires...they do well in deep snow and mud.

I would really like to get an M35A2...but realistically, I'll probably eventually end up with a CUCV.

>> No.197807

Poor fag here, haven't made a BoB yet but what I have in mind for mine would be:

Fixed Blade Full Tang Knife + Mora Companion Knife
30 inch Fast Bucksaw or Laplander Folding Saw
Leatherman Charge or Wave + Diamond Sharpener
Dry Sack + Ziploc Bags
Fire Starting (3 different kinds)
Cordage + Gorilla Tape
Tarps + Hammock +Poncho + Emergency Blankets + 100% Wool Blanket
First Aid Kit (Quick Clot/Gauze/Pills eg. Ibuprofen/Amoxicillin/Advil & etc)
Trauma Shears + Tweezers + Needles + Safety Pins + Scalpel Blades
Everclear 190 proof + Hand Sanitizer + Iodine Tincture + Bugspray + Sunblock
Various Sized Fish Hooks + Sewing Kit
Stainless Steel Bottle & Cup Set w/Pack Stove Ring + Stainless Steel Sporks
Water in Platypus Bottle 2L (2x)
Oatmeal + Peanut Butter + Crackers + Freeze Dried Foods + Energy Bars + Hard Candy
Powdered Drinks: Chocolate/Tea/Meal Replacement Drink/Energy Drink Mix/Emergen-C
Condiments: Honey (Also kills bacteria), Hot Sauce, Salt and Sugar
Waterproof Boonie Hat + Sleep Hat + Work Gloves + Cold Weather Gloves
Second set of clothing + 2x Socks + Scarf + Polypro Sleep Wear
100% Cotton Bandanda/Shemagh (Million and one uses)
LED Flashlight + Headlamp + Wind up Light/Rechargeable Glowsticks
Signaling (Storm Safety Whistle/Signal Mirror/Strobe function on Flashlight)
Compass + Topographical/Local Maps + Fresnel Lens + Casio G-Shock Watch
Rite in the Rain + Pencil/Pen + GP-4L / EFTR (EMERGENCY TASK FORCE RADIO)
Plastic Deck of Cards + Uno h2o

Obviously since I haven't made this a reality yet it still needs refinement.

>> No.197811

>>197591
>>197762
Out of all the great SHTF scenarios the one that I think is most likely is a mega solar flare causing a global EMP. They say there's a 12% chance of it happening in the next decade and as a natural cycle of the sun we're long over due for one.

How do you EMP proof a car?

>> No.197822

>>197811
get a steam powered/wood gasifier converted one? lolol or just keep your car turned off if you know it's going to happen before time.

>> No.197826

Got 50 rolls of 75m ducttape and... the backpack

>> No.197827
File: 23 KB, 300x525, bic-lighters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love how people always include firestarters and waterproof matches and shit.

This, however, will always be your most reliable source for fire.

>> No.197828

>>197811
Keep it inside a big ass faraday cage????

>> No.197829

Hey OP, what kind of kukri do you have and where did you get it?

Also, what general area do you live in? What habitat would you be bugging out in the case of an emergency?

>> No.197831

>>197811
Buy an old diesel truck, or a carb'ed truck.

EMP only affects sensitive digital electronics. Analog circuitry will be unphased, unless it attached to large antennas.

One should also note that power lines will act like antennas. However, your breaker box will likely save everything in your home.

>> No.197833

Get a car pre electronic ignition

>> No.197835

>>197829 Pic is related but not my bad, dont have a camera. i live in the northern 3rd of the country so to some woodest/forest type areas more than likely

>> No.197836

>>197827
per fire-lightning "instance", however, matches are far, far cheaper.

>> No.197837

>>197350
how about some kind of communications device to call the authorities in case you get stuck. that shit ain't gonna last forever, BOY.

>> No.197838

>>197829
not that dude, but I've got the same kukri. It's pretty boss.

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-Black-Kukri-Machete/dp/B001H53Q8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1
334445825&sr=8-1

>> No.197847

>>197838
Awesome. I've been wanting to get a kukri for a while, but I've never actually used one or even seen one in person. Do you use yours much?

>> No.197857

EMP can affect ALL electrical systems, not just electronic ignition/FI - it can affect starters, ignition coils, alternators (especially their diodes and the voltage regulator, which even on many later autos with points is electronic using ICs or discrete components still susceptible to EMP) and other electrical components which may be important to the operation of the vehicle.

For example, frying the starter is going to prevent you from starting the engine unless you can roll start it (only possible with manual transmissions, not automatics no matter how fast the vehicle is rolling).

I am not an expert on EMP, but I do have a EE degree and yes, over-voltage can fry something like a starter or an ignition coil or a "condenser" (just another name for a capacitor). While ICs (Integrated Circuits - i.e., "chips") are more vulnerable, don't make the mistake of thinking that a vehicle with points is invulnerable to EMP. Even a diesel won't start if the starter is fried, nor will it charge the battery if the alternator/rectifier/voltage regulator is fried. Hell, even the battery could get fried.

But bear in mind, just because I say something *can* be damaged by EMP doesn't mean it will - it depends on the component and the EMP.

>> No.197858

>>197857
How likely is an emp blast?

>> No.197859

>>197847
Not really, but it's been really nice the few times I have. I had been wanting one for a while, and then I had a dream about the zombie apocalypse and all the knives I had kept breaking. The first thing I did that day was order my kukri.

>> No.197861

>>197858
Not very really, in the case of a nuke though anything just outside the blast radius would be effected, or if it was a high altitude blast it could effect whole states.

The only other likely causes are the sun shorting stuff out with solar flares or a country invading and causing EMP's to hinder defence. We did the same thing to Iraq after all.

>> No.197862

>>197859
I know that feeling.

>> No.197881

>>197847
Ive had a kabar one for two years, made from great hard metal and you can use it as an axe too, never go anywhere without it!

>> No.197887

>>197858
Emp from nuclear threat next to nothing. Emp from massive solar flare is 12% chance of happening in the next decade.

>> No.197892

>>197827
Yes. That's why I keep two in addition to my matches, tinder and firestarter.

>> No.197897

>>197887
will it cover the whole earth? can you be shielded from it by hiding in a cave? more info, man!!!

>> No.197902

After spending 2 weeks in the field wearing the same set of fatigues (army infantry training) I don't think extra clothes are necessary unless you're planning on getting wet in a really cold climate.
Extra undies and socks are a must though.

12" machete
100 feet paracord
30 feet heavy duty rescue cable and some carabiners
Kevlar thread and needle
Heavy duty duct tape
Tactical flashlight (OLight i6, used to be mounted on my rifle)
Maratac AA Flashlight (Tac light takes only CR123/18650 which aren't so common)
Some glowsticks and flares
Rescue whistle
3L Camelbak water bladder
Water purification tablets
Thermal Blanket
EMT Shears
First aid kit (antiseptics, gauzes, anti-chafing, insect repellant, elastic bandages, alcohol wipes, sunscreen, paracetamol and burn treatment bandages)
Waterproof matches, bic lighter and ferrocerium firesteel
Extra smallclothes
Waterproof paper and pencil
Extra compass
Cellphone/USB AA/AAA charger
MREs for 2-3 days

>> No.197907

>>197857
>it can affect starters
Not sure how, it's just a coil of wire with a solenoid, which is another coil of wire.

>ignition coils
Already deals with high voltage sparks. A variation isn't going to affect it.

>alternators (especially their diodes and the voltage regulator)

Quite true, the internals will be fine, but any circuitry may be affected. It's an easy repair though.

We're grasping at straws though.

You'd wouldn't survive the EM field that would kill simple electronics that aren't attached to antennas. It would be like standing inside a microwave oven.

>> No.197930

>>197907
>You'd wouldn't survive the EM field

Wrong. EMPs are harmless. In fact if one happend you'd probobly couldn't even untill you tried using some form of electronic device and discover it didn't work. Although in the 1800's there was a huge solar flare from the sun causing a global EMP. There were reports of telephone operators getting electrocuted. I guess if you're connected to or touching a conductive piece of metal that's big enough it'll give you a shock. Also if you have a pacemaker your screwed.

>> No.197933

Steel bottle
Small forest axe
Kabar kukri
Multi-tool
3 folding knives
6 Carabungees (Bungee cords with carabiners on the end)
Medkit (Too much shit to list, complete enough for minor surgery/bear attacks)
Fishing kit (Bank fishing and hand fishing)
Sewing kit
1-2 Dozen cotton balls
Vaseline
Magnesium fire starter
80 waterproof matches
12 candles
Various kindling
Compass
Bear bell (I camp in bear country)
Mini flashlight
Green picture hanging wire
Wool blanket
Heavy duty tarp
Coffee
Tabasco sauce
2 MRE's
300 ft. Paracord
200 ft. Bankline (Tarred nylon decoy anchor line 180#)
100 ft. Twine

>> No.197951

>>197481
How many are you supposed to take? And how often?

>> No.197958

>>197930
That's precisely my point.

An EM field strong enough to cause damage to starters or fairly isolated electronics would be the equivalent of standing inside the feedhorn of a 50 kw UHF transmission antenna for a TV station.

Your body will be engulfed in burns.

>> No.197960

>>197951
Or you can eschew the pills altogether and just buy N100 dust masks or a gas mask with 3 to 4x CURRENT PRODUCTION 3M 40mm filters.

The pills overload the thyroid to prevent the uptake of radioactive iodine.

Radioactive iodine is particulate.

If you wear a filter, you cannot ingest/inhale the particulate.

Not only that, but the filter would protect you from other radioactive particulate, as well as heavy metals / germs.

>> No.197961

>>197951
for adults 130mg every 24 hours

link for more info
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

>> No.197963

>>197930
One should also note that the use of circuit breakers was not common in the 1800s, nor was proper EM grounding theory in use.

>> No.197972

>>197960
I have a gas mack on my stuff to get list. I have one in my family but it wasn't bought by me, so I wouldn't take it. I don't know what type of filter it has either.

But I'd still rather use a gas mask and iodine pills if I was in some kinda situation.

>>197961
Awesome, thanks.

>> No.197973

>>197811
Cars are actually pretty EMP proof, even modern ones.

>> No.198025

>>197972
http://approvedgasmasks.com/premium-k1-kit.htm

>> No.198039

If you could take 1 item and 1 item only with you to survive, what would it be?

>> No.198049

>>198039
that's a toss up between a something to boil water in and a sharp, sturdy fixed blade knife. I think I'd have to go with the knife.

>> No.198060

>>198039
definitely a knife like
>>198049
said, since you could make most of what you need with it to survive, though it would be a major pain.

I guess if anything knowledge and application of said knowledge is the best, which is good since you can't misplace or lose it.

>> No.198181
File: 12 KB, 362x488, Lawful Neutral.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The bag itself is a walking bag with a mid strap that goes across the waist good for long marches which I have sprayed the heck out of with stoch guard to give some mositerue resistance
What is inside the bag
>Nice compass
>water proof matches
> normal strike matches in a air tight little tupperware thing which is inside a plastic bag
> LINT yeah the stuff that comes out of the dryer, GREAT for starting survival fires
>water decontaimination tablets
>a big bottle of 90% alcohal
> Protein powder enriched Hard tack survival food.
>a well taken care of hatchet
>Zip Ties...lots and lots of zip ties
>an emergency thermo blanket
>2 cans of BUG SPRAY
>a little shovel
> a map of the greater area
>some twine, rope, with a carbiener.
>a knife
>a little multi tool
>a tazer
>pair of handcuffs with keys
>a 40 cal

>> No.198182
File: 29 KB, 460x345, mythbusters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198039
a pallet full of duct tape

>> No.198380
File: 132 KB, 1000x750, bob1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got two bags. Here are the contents of the first.

>> No.198381
File: 152 KB, 1000x750, bob2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198380
And the second.

>> No.198383

>>198380
>>198381
It became very obvious while laying all of that out that I need to share the snares and knives evenly across the two bags. I also need to get some paracord and a canteen cup for the second bag.

Any suggestions from you /diy/ers?

>> No.198390

I have a good laugh when I see people with 10 knives who also have no water filter and no saw.
For me: water filter, leatherman, 9 inch saw, hatchet, paracord, space blanket, clear sheet of poly. Of course this is only hypothetical, because I already have all this stuff and more in my backpacking bag, dont really need to narrow it down to most important stuff.

>> No.198392
File: 201 KB, 800x1017, EmergencyChecklist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198383
All those snares and no food, looks like your planning a survival camping trip. Even if you were you should at least put a bag of trail mix or something in there.

Everyone has their own school of thought and strategy when making a bug out bag. People will often plan their bags while preparing themselves around a specific SHTF scenario. Government recommends your bag be planed for surviving alone for 72 hours because it usually takes this long for help to arrive.

Here's a useful link full of tips for making bug out bags
http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=636

>> No.198412

>that feel when new england
>no disasters ever, just the ever tightening of the screws

>> No.198413

>>198381
>>198380
-your machete is shit tier. a machete doesn't need to be so long. a 30cm one is much more efficient than a 70cm. also the handle looks really cheap, and will broke in no time. buy one from a gardening store and not from a crappy gun shop. try to find something forged with a leather handle like this: http://img5.cherchons.com/marchand/www.bati-avenue.com/media/catalog/product/l/b/lbg260280_5.jpg
Also get a saw, it's ten times more useful than a machete, unless you live in the rainforest.
-your knives are cheap as hell and wont last. both folding knives will be of no use. they are too long and heavy to be handy, and too short to kill. the dagger is ok, but will be hard to sharpen and maintain in good shape.
-your folding shovel is a joke. you will go nowhere with this. buy one with a wood handle from an army stock. this one is top tier: http://www.zib-militaria.de/WebRoot/Store8/Shops/61431412/47A5/F96D/0CC2/6D90/F220/C0A8/28BD/DD17/54
0.jpg
-zippos look great, but they are not reliable outdoor lighters. get a storm lighter if you want something reliable and can afford to carry a few gas cans. otherwise get a magnesium firestarter, it will last a lifetime: http://rainbowfire.ca/images/Emergency-Fire-Starter.jpg
-firestarters and lighter fluid are pretty useless in most situations.
-get some real carabiners, from a trusted brand, those ones are dangerous.
-the gloves are a good idea, but i would recommend more fitted gloves. also this kind of gloves wont protect you from cold.
-your flashlight is shit tier. get a headlamp. or a powerful reliable (waterproof) flashlight.
-water flasks are ok. wetting the pouch will help you keeping the water fresh inside. also the cup goes inside the pouch.
-folding cutlery is a joke. get a real fork and a real spoon (you already have your knife).

>> No.198433

>>198413
>otherwise get a magnesium firestarter
There's a magnesium bar in the first bag, right above the first aid kit.

>-get some real carabiners, from a trusted brand, those ones are dangerous.
Those carabiners are by Black Diamond which last time I checked is a trusted brand.

>-your flashlight is shit tier.
Are you serious? That's a surefire e2l outdoorsman.

>> No.198438 [DELETED] 

>>198413
>-folding cutlery is a joke. get a real fork and a real spoon (you already have your knife).

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* see i have my utensile rdy. im sorry if i'm a little bit random, if u don't lik it deal wit it

>> No.198442

>>198413
>-folding cutlery is a joke. get a real fork and a real spoon (you already have your knife).

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* see i have my utensile rdy. im sorry if i'm a little bit random, if u don't lik it deal wit it

>> No.198479

>>197811
You dont. Most cars made after 1980 has a ECU controlling the engine. ECU dies, everything dies.
One then might get a ECU or two from the junkyard and store them in a emp proof container along with tools to replace them.
Mechanical diesels are rather EMP proof as there is not really anything to break.
The car will work perfectly fine without a single semiconductors.
All relays and machanics baby.

>> No.198485

Plenty of stimpacks, a katana, and my old world duster

>> No.198489
File: 25 KB, 400x394, 22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198479
'cars aren't emp proof'
'use a faraday cage to protect sensitive electronics'
*faraday cage* -> A metal box protects the stuff inside
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/car-lightning
>MFW a car is a metal box.

>> No.198494

>>198489
not sure if trolling or just stupid...

In case you're just dumb, the box needs to be completely sealed.

>> No.198495

My adult brother is into this sort of thing. He's withdrawn from the family a bit thinking we're all going to die when "whatever" is going to happen. He spends nearly all of his money on this. He hasn't had a girlfriend since high school and doesn't care for anything that isn't part of his apocalyptic fantasy. Obviously it will never come to fruition and he's going to keep holding onto this delusion until he dies and thereby live totally unfulfilled in every way.

Are there any legal grounds I could have him committed? My family and I would just like him and his sanity back.

>> No.198503

>>198495
You aren't going to get him back by having him committed. He'll resent you forever for that.

What makes you so sure there will never be a scenario like he's prepping for? Anything is possible really. I'd suggest seeing if he'll include you and your family in what he's doing.

>> No.198506
File: 20 KB, 312x278, 411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198494
No, the gaps in the box only need to be smaller than the distance between two peak of the wave of the energy you want to shield it from.

The only thing 2.4 GHz really tells you is that the wavelength is
c/f = (3e8 m/s)/(2.4e9 1/s) = 0.125 meters = 4.92 inches

The frequency band of nuclear generated EMP was found effective from 1 KHz to 100 MHz.

1khz has a wavelength of 300,000 meters so that's not a big deal... 100MHz has a wavelength of 3 meters, so that's no big deal either. The smallest gap between your car hood and the rest of the body is probably 10 mm.

>> No.198510

>>198506
what about the fact that the entire underside of the car is open... ?

>> No.198516

>>198506
>>198510

Also, the parts you're shielding have to be insulated from the farday's cage. I'm pretty sure most of the electronics systems are connected tot he body of the car in one way or another. Perhaps they even use the body of the car for grounding.

>> No.198518

>>198510
The EMP isn't coming from underneath the car.
The biggest gap between the engine and the body is going to be like .25m.

Depending on your car, your ECM might also be in a metal box that would be grounded to the chassis like everything else.

>> No.198527

>>197811

Have a car from before the age of computers

>> No.198534

See the EMPCommission.org links. The auto testing results are on page 112 of that report. They tested a sample of 37 cars. Here is a summary of the results:

Most cars will not even stall. In a test, where cars were subjected to EMP conditions, they tested both with cars turned ON, and cars turned OFF. I quote "No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure." NO EFFECTS FOR CARS THAT WERE TURNED OFF during the EMP, they just started right up.

EMP effects on cars that are running: "The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them." In other words, 90% of the cars would not even stall if they were running when an EMP happened. There were some further effects, blinking dashboard lights on some cars, etc.., read the report to see them described. Over 20% of cars experienced NO effects while running, not even burnt out radios, and to reiterate, for the cars that were OFF, there were NO effects.

An EMP could cause some cars to stall, which could definitely lead to accidents when the EMP happens. Most cars will run just fine, we will not likely see a breakdown of our auto transportation system from an

>> No.198538

I don't have a BOB. I do however have a typical array of tools I carry to work every day.

>>>/k/

>> No.198544

>>198506
>>198518
>>197973
modern cars are NOT emp proof, case in point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj54FcI7_dE

>> No.198552

>>198544
one car

>>198534
study of 30 cars, 30 trucks. Found that four stopped running, 2 needed actualy repairs.

>Lights on dash still worked in your demo, windows worked.
... I think he forgot to put it back in neutral/park before trying to restart it.

>> No.198578

>>198506
Having holes under half the wavelenght is not 100% sure cure all. The stuff just gets attenuated. And that works only for a othervice closed box with only one opening. All other openigs add to that.
Not to mention that ECU's have long unshielded wires running around the car.
Want to bet that there's a few wires from 0.75meters and up.
Those act nicely as a 1/4 wavelenght antenna for the blast.

But who am I kidding. I trust that actual study.

>> No.198585

>>198552
>>198552
i think you might be right. It is hard to tell from the video but it certainly looks like the selector is in the same location when he starts to drive and when he is "trying" to start the car after.

Remember to take things on "Future Weapons" with a big grain of salt (or box of iodine).

>> No.198657
File: 1.25 MB, 3264x1840, 2012-04-03_23-13-09_147.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My bug out bag has been under construction for about a year and im glad to say its nearly done. I also use it to camp so some things spill over.

-75 liter backpack
-full tang 5"air force knife
-leatherman
-crank radio/phone charger
-emergency blanket
-snare wire
-knife sharpener
-pinnacle soloist pot/cup
-extensive first aid kit in waterproof hardbox
-sleeping bag
-1 liter sigg bottle
-cold steel shovel
-assorted instant food ramen oatmeal easymac peanutbutter tuna
-polar pure iodine water treatment good for indefinite volume
-harmonica
-pvc fishing kit

As for guns i have a s&w m&p compact 9mm and 200 rounds and a henry us survival 22 and 800 rounds

>> No.198662

>>198657
>henry us survival 22
that might be the cutest, most clever gun i have ever seen.

>> No.198671
File: 705 KB, 1840x3264, 2012-04-15_20-08-23_613.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198662
Its awesome. I loved the novelty of it, sure its no target driver but it shoots bullets in the direction you point it. Wanted one forever so used this years tax return to scoop it up.

>> No.198675

>>198657
>no 12 gauge with .22lr adapter

>> No.198687
File: 181 KB, 375x500, home-tool-box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related, it's my bug-out bag, which happens to be my toolbox that I use at work every day. Because unlike the rest of you children, I'll be actively working to make things better if anything ever goes wrong instead of gnawing rabbit bones alone in the woods.

Big news for y'all: if you're alone, life isn't worth living anyway. Even bigger news: there's nowhere to go. Grow the fuck up and start proving your use to society instead of withdrawing and fucking things up even more.

>> No.198691
File: 252 KB, 300x100, 1331413370579.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198687

>> No.198699
File: 52 KB, 390x598, akuma.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198687
One would think that if you were so amazing, you would have better things to do than lecture people on 4chan based on assumptions and self importance.

>> No.198710
File: 60 KB, 500x496, BIC lighters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>197836
> matches are far, far cheaper.

You can get a 50 pack of BIC lighters on eBay for less than $1 each.

>> No.198712

>>198687
There is allot of cross over here between bug out bags and hunting backpacks. I think the whole point of a BOB is to enable you to survive for a few days after a disaster until the situation stabilizes or help arrives. For example if someone is having a heart attack and you have a first aid kit you wouldn't perform bypass surgery, you'd try to stabilize them until paramedics arrive and get him to a hospital. Kinda the same idea with bug out bag. You're not going to rebuild society or live for the rest of your life with what's in your backpack, you're just going to survive a few days until FEMA arrives with aid or the flood waters recede.

Also, that toolbox has got to weigh a TON! You need to be able to walk for miles while carrying that thing. If you can't then lighten the load.

>> No.198751

>>198712

>You need to be able to walk for miles while carrying that thing.

I think you're missing the point. I'm not going anywhere no matter how bad it gets. I'm staying to help people out and try to get our civilization back on our feet. And if my skillset as a builder and all-round well-equipped guy with tools and hardware isn't useful, we're so far gone that none of us are going to last long. Just fucking off into the woods is basically a losing strategy for the majority of disaster scenarios and if you actually look at ANY of the bad things that have happened in the last hundred fucking years, you'd realize that "bugging out" is probably your worst choice. People who make themselves useful always survive better than the lone wolves. Always.

I don't care if you have a billion waterproof matches, the person who can cook for eighty people, deliver babies, who knows how a septic field works, who is generally useful will have better chances of making it through bad times. History has proven that and if you don't agree, it's because you're ideologically bound to your supposed "survival" strategy, not because you're assessed the available evidence.

On a somewhat different note, I note that a bunch of you wouldn't/don't pack a radio. AM/FM receiver, VHF/UHF scanner should be basic survival gear. I won't need it because I'll just get my info from other people, but you might want to listen for news of radioactive clouds or what have you when you're shivering under a tarp in the woods guys.

>> No.198767

>>198751
even if you stay within your community you will have to walk several miles a day.

>> No.198768

>>198751
"Whoops, here come the radioactive clouds! What are my tools good for? Oh, dammit, absolutely fucking nothing. Well, I could build us a septic system so we can at least take a sanitary shit while we're all dying of organ failure from the radiation poisoning. Guess I'd better grab my bug out bag and run. Oh wait, it's too heavy to run with. Great. Guess I'll have to rely on my baby-delivering skills and mass-food-preparation skills to save me from this one!"

>alternately
"Well, shit. Dat tsunami. House gone, people injured, no food or supplies, contamination. Let's see... I can spend the next week building a septic system, even though FEMA will be here tomorrow. Yeah! We may starve this week, but at least we can shit in a sanitary manner, even though the backwash from the tsunami has flooded everything with shit anyways. Oh, wait, we won't starve! I can cook food for 80 people! Well, we don't have a way to cook it, but that's a minor detail. The big problem is... where will we get the food? Oh, right... baby-delivering skills. We're gonna eat well tonight!"

>> No.198769

>>197316

lol u moron dont you know there are cheaper solar chargers that do the same thing!

>> No.198771

>>198767

I'm not American. I know how to walk.

Do you think the wheels on my garden cart will still function after the apocalypse? Because I could use that too. But I suspect that since I'm actually useful, if we have functioning cars I'll be able to hitch a ride now and then.

>> No.198775

>>198768

Continue to obsess over the specifics of what I wrote. I don't really care. The point is that my strategy for survival is proven to work better than yours, time and time again, and you're making these decisions ideologically, not rationally. Frankly, the only reason I posted in this thread is because I actually want to convert people from this whack "survivalist" plan. It's detrimental to all our futures if too many people decide they're going to cut and run and leave everything and everyone to fend for themselves.

P.S. When the tsunami hit, the Japs spent the afternoon cleaning up, not running into the woods. That's why they did well. When Katrina hit, the Murricans booked it to Dallas or wherever and now that city is still fucked.

>> No.198781

>>198775
serious question though, what are you gonna do when your 50 pound "bug out bag" is under 6 feet of water? What are you going to do when there is an evacuation in the middle of the night and you can't carry it quickly enough? Being mobile is far more important than being able to rebuild.

>> No.198792

>>198781

I guess if my whole area gets flooded I'll come back in a boat. I live in a coastal area so that shouldn't be a problem. And if there's an evacuation that kind of implies a functioning human civ of one kind or another, so again, I can come back.

The only drawback to the "staying put" approach is that I might be at the epicenter of something really bad. I guess no survival strategy is 100%.

>> No.198795

>>198775
>When Katrina hit, the Murricans booked it to Dallas or wherever and now that city is still fucked.
True, but you forget that Louisiana is basically a black state. That makes a difference.

>> No.198796

>>198792
> I guess no survival strategy is 100%.

Shit if only everyone else realized this then this thread wouldn't be full of crazy.

>> No.198798

>>198751
>AM/FM receiver, VHF/UHF scanner should be basic survival gear.

you've got a point... I have a wouxun HT dual bander, but I need the AA battery pack or else its useless within a day or so. I also have a pair of gmrs/frs HTs, but those are like half a watt.

I guess I should get the battery pack and some extra batteries.

>> No.198839
File: 407 KB, 600x711, Puxing PX888 acc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198798
China handhelds ftw.

You program your Wouxun for FRS/GMRS frequencies I'm guessing?

I advise everyone who wants a solid radio to operate without a license, to get a Puxing PX777 UHF. They're FCC type accepted, and you can program them for FRS/GMRS frequencies. The battery life is quite long, they accept many accessories, external antennas, etc...

>> No.198853

>>198796

Being in Alaska I mostly plan for the coming big quake, it will happen eventually so I need to be prepared.

The airport will fall into the bay
The port will sink due to disrepair

A ton of people moved up here after Katrina and our crime rate has skyrocketed (last time I checked Anchorage was 2nd most dangerous city in US. So when it happens shit will hit the fan.

>> No.198854

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVREEuqYFJ0&feature=g-upl&context=G2f98e98AUAAAAAAAAAA

>> No.198868

seeing all of the radio related bug out bag post here i'll bite

(amongst other survival stuff)

500mW FRS / 1W (2W boost) GMRS combo, scrambler built in, with charger and extra batteries

1W eXRS spread spectrum digital mode radios on the 33 cm band (ten billion channels fuck yeah)

4 watt handheld CB with 1.2 amp 12 v dc transformer, battery charger and extra batteries

Uniden bearcat scanner that covers VHF/UHF and also 10 & 11 meters

Eton E5 long/medium/short wave radio, covering 150-29999KHz AM/SSB

will be adding a yaesu portable ham radio that i have my eyes on after i'm licensed-up. it accessing bands 80m to 70cm

the ham radio will likely make this all too much to carry, not sure what to do about that..

>> No.198885

>>198775
I was gonna write a lengthy response detailing why everything you said is ignorant and wrong. But fuck it...

>> No.198889

>>198380
>>198381
>no hatchet

is this nigga serious?

>> No.198892

>>198889
Damn near everyone in this thread has a machete yet no one seems to have a hatchet,unless I missed it

>> No.198895

Need a new backpack. Mainly for grocery
shopping. Something under $80 and with a good
amount of space but not like a big huge hiker's
pack. What do you guys recommend?

>> No.198900
File: 39 KB, 500x500, 10064599.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's something i have found very useful for all kinds of applications from sowing to fishing to attaching anything to anything. i even use to keep some wound around a needle in my wallet in case i need to sow my cloths at work.

the off brands are fine but it MUST be braided mono is just too thick

i once tested it out on a rabbit trail as a snare and the damn thing nearly decapitated its self. i am confident it would work for even larger animals as well.

the rabbit was delicious btw

>> No.198953

>>198885
Typical innawoods "survivalist" abandonment response.

Can't muster any facts to back your ideology so you're just piping up to say nothing? Constructive. Head on back to /k/ for your continued circlejerk, buddy.

>> No.198961

>>198900

glorious spiderwire. the real shit. not that single strand stuff.

>> No.198962

>>198892
I have one in mine. Well, an ax really, but it's one or two handed

>> No.198966

>>197827
A BIC LIGHTER IS NOT SURE FIRE.

>> No.198967

>>198966
a box of 50 is

>> No.198970

>>198967
OK, have fun carrying 50 lighters and trying to light a fire when everything around you is soaking wet. Ill carry some dry tinder and a ferro rod or two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBhrDuSWcP8

>> No.198977

>>198839
yeah, the Chinese ones are a great deal.

a word of caution though, nothing is likely to happen if you don't have one, but a license is required for gmrs. No test or anything, just $75 for 5 years.

>> No.199007

The thing I don't like about some of these packs is the inclusion of somewhat perishable items. Glowsticks can crack in the bag if you're not careful. Most meds have a shelf life or lose potency. My suggestion is have a bag you can use "everyday" so you go to it often to know your supplies better and constantly re-stock as needed.

>> No.199018

>>199007

I cycle my medication out of my hiking and Jeep first aid kits as well as my SHTF bag every December. It's a good practice to get into.

>> No.199050
File: 170 KB, 1024x768, 1332153648453.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Your bob's are all for nuclear war or major disaster or car trouble in middle of nowhere. What about going on the lam? What if local gestapo makes wrong decisions for no reason and come after you? And like in some 80's action movie, you have to evade the pigs until you can prove your innocence, or get far enough to hide indefinitely. Happens all the time.

Anyone have a bob for that? It's a different game.

>> No.199093

>>199050
I don't know about anyone else but if someone is coming after me like that for whatever reason, I'd do the exact same thing as with any of those other scenarios and just disappear into the woods for a while. That IS what my bag is ready for more then anything.

>> No.199097

>>199018
>>199007

Every 5 or 6 months I go through everything to be sure nothing has expired or is close to it and just replace as needed. But its really just meds, water and batteries.

>> No.199103

>>198503
>>198495

He'll be the first one you think of when SHTF.

>> No.199242

>>198687
how superior you must feel on your golden pedestal

>> No.199245

Geiger counter
gas mask
timber axe
Plastic explosives(don't ask)
150(RELOADABLE :DDDD) 7.62x54R rounds
Moist Nugget
flannel shirts
suspenders
desert canteen
Walker Colt to strap to my hip
fishing line(there are rivers everywhere here)
Maifun noodles
Mess kit
Ramen noodles
sterno
...flint steel...more...

>> No.199258

>>198687

I partially agree with you. Blue collar tradesman for 20+ years.
All your efforts mean shit under a government that has deluded itself into thinking it can print and spend money with impunity.
A financial collapse is a mathematical certainty. Many people will die when it happens; just like in the USSR & Argentina. The sad thing is that if every American had the means to be self-sufficient for 3-6 months, this crash would be about as eventful as Y2K.

>> No.199271
File: 341 KB, 561x438, bic_lighters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198970
> Ill carry some dry tinder and a ferro rod or two.

A ferro rod is good idea of course, but the fact is that a plain-old BIC lighter
is far more convenient and wet tinder is still wet tinder, a ferro rod isn't going
to light it either.

And in the event of a zombiepocalypse, some of those 50 BIC lighters can
be traded for other stuff.

>> No.199293

i think the shit isnt to far off from hitting the fan.my country (australia) has been running recruitment adds on tv for a solid 2 months.
probably normal in the U.S.A but not here.

>> No.199299

>>198768
Don't worry, the free market will fix it.

>> No.199304

ok...how come nobody has toilet paper in their bug out bags?

>> No.199305

>>199304

Just use leaves or a squirt bottle to rinse out your asshole.

>> No.199321

>>198687
i'm sorry to hear you're not getting good responses in this thread, but honestly what do you expect from survivalist 4channers? these dudes are pretty far gone.

>> No.199325

>>199271
bic lighters are not long-term solutions, and they are bulky compared to waterproof matches. the fuel leaks out over time, which is why woodsmen rarely use them, which is why you're catching shit for promoting them.

of course, i am not suggesting you don't use them. use whatever's convenient for you. but you might have realized after the second post or whatever that the rest of the commenters disagree with you. so pushing them is sort've a waste of your time..

>> No.199327

>>199325
bics are extremely long term in a way

ages after the apocolypse you can check any dumpster and find the sparker.BOOM got yourself something to light tinder

>> No.199332 [DELETED] 
File: 171 KB, 902x699, 1334544801538.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey op, is that knife the smith and Wesson bush hog? how is yours holding up? mine broke after 10 swings.

>> No.199400
File: 48 KB, 389x280, b61ce88fc90b53c38ef99cb4a9e07959_medium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>199325
> bic lighters are not long-term solutions,

But one-time-use matches are? wtfamireading.jpg

> and they are bulky compared to waterproof matches.

I smoke around 1.5 packs of cigarettes per day and a BIC lighter
(not those cheep shit Chinese ones) will last me two months easy;
30 lights per day x 60 days = 1800 lights

box of 250 matches = 250 lights @ 4.75"x2.5"x1.375" @ 50.25 grams
BIC lighter = 1800 lights @ 3"x1"x.625" @ 21.77 grams

> the fuel leaks out over time,

I've found lighters in down among couch cushions and at the bottom
of camping gear that haven't been used since who knows when.

A lighter will last _years_.

> which is why woodsmen rarely use them,

Which "woodsmen" would those be? The wanna-be Rambos with
a couple of matches and fishing line in the hollow handles of their
cheep-o commando knife?

>> No.199403
File: 571 KB, 1200x1600, Wouxun UVD1P.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198977
I warn people the same exact thing.

>Using 5w or an external antenna is unlikely to attract attention from the FCC. However, being an asshat, is going to attract attention. If you don't have the license, stay off of the repeaters.

>> No.199414
File: 78 KB, 1000x800, zippo crackle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>199400
I prefer zippos. Gasoline works in a pinch, and I don't have to worry about fracturing a plastic body. Granted, they leak like crazy. But, they work as flint & steel in a pinch.

>> No.199421

>>199325
>they are bulky compared to waterproof matches

Fuck no. They take up far less space than matches for an equivalent amount of fire produced before running empty.

>the fuel leaks out over time

You're confusing these with hurricane lighters (ie: zippos). Pressurized butane lighters are sealed and may retain their fuel against minimal leakage for decades.

Matches also degrade over time, so they aren't long-term either.

>which is why woodsmen rarely use them

Yeah, nah, you're a cunt.

>> No.199435

>defending bic lighters

Wait let me guess its the same smoker defending them, right? magnesium flint starters are the way to go

>> No.199454

>>199435

Having used a Doan mag bar innawoods before I'll ask you to kindly shut the fuck up and stop pretending at being a survivalist.

Butane lighters work just fine and are extremely easy to use, even under duress.

If you have to adapt to a complete lack of infrastructure in some post-apocalyptic fantasy you'll eventually end up with a bow drill regardless of what you started with.

>> No.199459
File: 177 KB, 418x551, Bic - reg lighters 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>199435

No reason to not keep several BIC lighters, a Zippo (with spare flints), a magnesium
fire starter block and a ferro-rod in your bug-out bag.

Hell, if you absolutely got to have them, you can include a box of strike-anywhere
kitchen matches also.

All the above (plus a water-tight container of tinder) will take up hardly any space at all.

>> No.199466

>>Bug-out Bag
>>Long Term Solutions

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

It's not about carrying enough gear to rebuild civilization or live in the wilderness for years.

Bugging-in, having supplies to ride out a crisis in your own home, in your own neighborhood which you know intimately, is the ideal scenario, and entirely plausible. What the hell are you going to accomplish trying to go it solo like you're fucking Mad Max?

Read accounts of people who lived through actual SHTF, like Argentina. Staying put is safer... usually. Certainly moreso than playing Rambo.

Now, sometimes circumstances require fast evacuation. Natural disasters, for instance. The idea of a bug-out bag is short term supplies to get you somewhere relatively safe.

My own has been used a couple times for totally mundane reasons: fire alarms. I've lived in high-rise dorms and apartment buildings. Now, when the alarm goes off in the middle of the night, you got time to pull on some clothes and grab anything important at hand (kids, pets, whatever). Spent plenty a nights standing out in the fucking winter cold while the firefighters check the building. So far it's been false alarms, but what if it's not? Some dumbass lights his bed on fire with a smoldering cig or something. Well, then I got a change of clothes, some money, and vital insurance papers (amongst other things) to tide me over a day or two. While everyone else ran out in their pajamas into 20 below December air, I can dip into my pack for some warm clothes.

>> No.199492

So I'm a newbie, but where does one get MRE's?

>> No.199501
File: 8 KB, 100x100, False_Mustache-icon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Relating to
>>199050
>>199093
I'm thinking the bag should be light enough to run with, or at least jog for longer distances, in woods. Something like 7kilos max, approx. 35L bag. The most important special requirements would be something that throws off police dogs and something that keeps you invicible to heat camera. I'm sure such things exist. Anyone?

>> No.199510

>>199501
>dogs
>heat camera
>sir i think you mean a nanosuit

anywho if anyone wants a nice 35L bag for cheap in north america also buy the mec small rain cover shits well worth the 8$ I know a lot of people who own this bag and we each have put it threw hell
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/PRD~5024-264/mec-cragosaurus-daypack.jsp

>> No.199516
File: 2.32 MB, 1583x2200, Pig bbq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>199510
I was thinking more like some fake scent for dogs. Or something along those lines. Take my sweaty t-shirt and duct tape it to the nearest deer or badger... Heat camera is trickier, but that seems to be the most important tool for police to find fugitives. Possibly an aluminum blanket? I'm sure there's tons of info all over the net. I just suspect most of it is deliberate misinformation, spread by the establishment.

>> No.199522
File: 67 KB, 550x538, mini-inferno-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>199271
How are you going to light wet tinder with a bic lighter, sit there and hold the flame on it till it catches? could take upwards of five minutes. Did you watch the video i posted even? The tinder i intend to carry cannot get wet, even while soaking wet with water it will light with a single spark from the ferro rod, As a herb smoker myself I will definitely be carrying bic's for the convenience but you should definitely carry forever dry tinder and a ferro rod if ALL ELSE FAILS.
This tinder the mini inferno will light if immersed in water, one disk will burn for a solid 7 minutes and a full tin will burn for upwards of 45 minutes. This allows you to have a fairly large constant flame in which to start a very small fire with WET tinder, once you have a very small fire going that will accept damp twigs you can start making it bigger. Its a very slow process when everything around you is wet, an impossible process when all you have is a few bics.
If you don't believe me go try it! let it rain for a day or two and try to go start a fire you can boil some water with in your back yard armed with nothing more than a bic.

>> No.199523

>>199510
Also, that's a nice bag. Surprisingly large for 30 litres. But I guess it cannot be any smaller for our purposes.

>> No.199525

>>199516

You can't really hide your heat emissions without cooking yourself.

You could deflect them away from the camera if you knew where it was, but even then enough would still go in that direction that you'd still stand out like a beacon.

>> No.199526

>>199522
>puts down the bic by pairing it with wet tinder, then proceeds to pair ever-dry tinder with a spark rod
>the ever-dry tinder will work even better with the bic
>somehow doesn't make this logical connection

Wax-based tinder is awesome, but the means of ignition is largely irrelevant.

>> No.199530

>>199526
Fair enough.

>> No.199534

>>198839

Can that thing run 24/7 plugged in desktop charger like mobile phones can?

>> No.199535

My 2 cents on the bic lighter debate.

They're nice to have, I usually carry two when I'm out camping, just in the event that I sleep with one of them in my pockets and happen to hit the gas release.

I wouldn't however, depend on them as my only source of fire, since when wet they can take a long time to dry and be usable.

Worst case scenario, say you take a dunk in a river by accident, and your bic happens to not be sealed properly in a waterproof case, you'd still have to wait for it to dry off before you could get a flame, whereas waterproof matches can be submerged in water for a few minutes, pulled out, and strike on the first time.

So, in summation, Bic's do have their merit for being a lightweight source of fire, but carry a backup that can get a fire going even if it gets wet.

>> No.199536

>>199305
Wasting precious water enjoy dyingtalented /diy/er

>> No.199571

Mothafukin flares do you have them DIY? I keep a pack just in case. Do you?

Also daily bump.

>> No.199626

>>199571
no flares in my bags. Are they good for anything other than signaling or a one time fire starter?

>> No.199627
File: 49 KB, 449x642, 1323884628930.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>198771
>defend your position by attacking "Americans"
and they say we're the racists

>> No.199750

OP here, whats your wepon of choice?

>> No.199771

>>199571
oh that reminds me candian here looking to get one of those polish/h&k flare gun its legal to own here with no papers so could anyone help me find some info on buying one in the states and shipping it here without the flares ill pick up a insert

>> No.199855

>>199771
Same. Always wanted a flare gun. If you miss you blind them. If you hit you burn them.

Also on stick flares... It's a magnesium flame so you can cut some metal like a fence or something. I'd use it to destroy a foe's car or such. Toss it up on the windshield and walk away.

>> No.199879
File: 11 KB, 385x383, 1332280286351.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>197303
Underage b&

>> No.200032

>>199855
I have a few road flares to big for what I need

you know I need a flaregun for when I go out in the bush for a few days and not wasting a fucking 6$ flare on something stupid

its to bad the flareguns here are all cheap shit those fucking neon pvp or wtv ones really would like a h&k flaregun

>> No.200101

Nightly bump. That is all.

>> No.200145

You must understand that you don't need to carry around weapons. You're not fighting zombies, kids. Scenario: you approach an urbanized area, you look like some fucking stranger armed walking Texas ranger, and I will assure someone will put a sniper bullet in your ass. You're lessening your survival chances dressing like rambo.

>> No.200160

>>198489
METAL BAWKSES

>> No.200366
File: 87 KB, 1600x1068, 2+%283%29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread should not be on page 4...

Thinking about picking up an Estwing E24A hatchet. Thought?

>> No.200368

>>200366

It's decent enough for the price.

You're going to need to put some work into reshaping the edge if you want it to perform well, though. Every one I've ever encountered has had a decent enough grind but an extremely blunt edge.

A couple of minutes with a single-cut file and then some medium to high grit sandpaper on a mousepad should sort you out fine.

>> No.200387 [DELETED] 

Dildo, rope, cigs, lube, whiskey.. U guys know what this stuff is for? Makes a killer fucking weapon

You hang the dildo on a rope from a tree
People come across the dildo just hanging there
Confusedwtfisthis.jpg
You knock them out from behind with bottle of whiskey
Take theyre bug out bag since theyre knocked out
Smoke cig while walking away laughing at bear grylls fAlling for dildo bait, last fucking thing youd expect!

>> No.200391
File: 236 KB, 555x427, Timmy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>200387
But.. whats the lube for?

>> No.200394

>>200391
your ass

>> No.200581

>>200387
>>200391
>>200394
shame, this was such a good thread too...

>> No.200612
File: 51 KB, 640x480, 1331580402573.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

92 Ford f350 with the mechanical 7.3l Diesel EMP's cant affect it

>> No.200664
File: 42 KB, 406x469, aidkit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here, Whats in your Basic/Advanced first aid kit?

Pic related but not my firstaid kit.

>> No.200667
File: 6 KB, 160x120, spiderman 111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.200682
File: 146 KB, 527x361, 1322373423057.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

did somebody say BUMP.

>> No.200687

are these threads always this good?

can i count on an archive?

>> No.200692

>>200664
Medical kit is full of goodies.

Hand sanitizer, water purification tablets, nitrile gloves, latex gloves, super glue, thread, needles, non-prescription pain killers, erythromicin, bottle of ether, quick clot pack, chemical ice pack, hand warmers, body warmers, triple antibiotic, butterfly bandages, regular bandages, medical tape, ace bandage, gauze, various sized splints, scissors, forceps, scalpel, probe, dentist mirror, surgical tubing, tweezers, a few paper towels, and a small pad to keep tools off the ground.

Just enough for emergency surgeries (Simple ones, not a doctor), broken bones, lancing an abscessed tooth. The small stuff.

>> No.200978

Soup /diy/ Have any of you assembled multiple "bob" type stashes? Mine is my EDC, BOB, and a larger kit in my car that has essentials, more comfort things and breakdown supplies. How about those?

tl;dr No need carrying the heavy stuff all the time. Heavier junk in the trunk.

>> No.201375

Still working on mine.
The escape bag has: Four days of clothing, extra pair of boots, toiletries, two blankets, two empty jugs (water or fuel), US$400.

My day bag:
Cell phone
spare subway/bus/rail pass
US$100
notepad & pen (useful to have)
32-oz water bottle

>> No.201383

>>201375
you might want some kind of weapon, at least a knife?

>> No.201389

>>201383
>>201375
ya know also, 4 pairs of clothing sounds heavy, no?

>> No.201397

>>201383
>>201389
The original bag presumed winter-time and having to walk distances to get to a decent shelter. It is time to change it out for warmer weather.
With my medical needs, I'm a dead man anyway, so the idea of the bag is simply to get to somewhere less miserable.

>> No.201447

Camera, bandana, knife.

>> ninja stylie

>> No.201640

>>201447
Camera?
>>Voyeur

>> No.201670

>>201375
Why four days?

>> No.202104

General Question: What are your feelings on including a tin of multi-purpose food [MPF] in your bag?

>> No.202640

>>198868
All under 5 watts and under 20 meters. The fuck? Get your ass over 40 meters and over 400 watts. What's the point if you can't hit anywhere over 200miles. Don't bring up DX communication. Do you want to fuck with that shit when shtmotherfuckingfan

>> No.202649

>>202640
It's a bit hard to be portable on 7 mhz, much less have a power supply capable of 400w.

inb4 the genius at Dayton with the 5 kw lithium-powered backpack

>> No.202668
File: 18 KB, 618x459, radio.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>202649
80CW transcievers are cool. But what about the antenna? How in the actual fuck do you make that portable?
I make a picture in ms paint and show you how.

Portable as fuck.

>> No.202669

>>202668
Also, 5 watts (not to mention it's CW) goes a long way.

>> No.202671

>>202669
On the 80 meter band. Sorry for splitting my post. I'm schizo and off my meds. Saving my meds incase shtf and I actually need them