[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 31 KB, 400x300, blueberries.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
197095 No.197095 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any good guide on how to make blueberry wine?

>> No.197100

Check Jack Keller's website.

>> No.197128

>1 Gallon water
>1kg sugar
>sachet of wine yeast
>500g+ blueberries (squashed into a pulp)
>put all in gallon bottle (put water in last because you will have some left over)
>close and shake bottle
>unscrew bottle cap slightly so that air can escape but nothing can get in
>put somewhere in your house where it won't get knocked over or too hot or cold
>leave a few weeks/months until bubbling stops completely (you can close and shake the bottle daily to seed te process up)

>> No.197131

>>197128
seriously, this is how I do it, so long as you don't contaminate the batch this works fine

>> No.197139

>>197128
>>197131

So is the brewing kit unnecessary then?

>> No.197142
File: 58 KB, 447x335, Brewer's Best Equip Kit (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>197139
Forgot image

>> No.197280
File: 33 KB, 396x528, s-type_airlock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Airlocks are dirt cheap.

>> No.197296

>>197142
The kit has alot of the things that will make it work better.A sealed fermenter ,airlock.racking cane,bottling wand,tubing,etc.A Campden tablet would be nice (to kill all the nonspecific bugs before you pitch your yeast)

>> No.197310

fuck the kit, get some buckets from behind burger king but you might have to buy lids as they throw them out around here. Bakery places also have good buskets. Buy the real airlocks if you will not make a decent one where you use a tube running into a bottle of water. If you want to step it up go grab some 55 gallon drums. Garbage pic fruit stores dumpsters and go to town. You will need to cook some stuff to pasteurize if its overripe but you will get a decent yield. Nothing is wrong with most garbage picked fruits they just have a little spot or something so no one buys it. If you don't use really fresh blueberries make sure you toss out rotting ones and clean them all well first. If you don't get a kit (don't) like the other guy said a racking cane is nice so grab that when at the store and some good yeast.

>> No.197341

>>197310
Do I just drill a hole on the lid and then stick the tube through? Wouldn't some air leak from the hole though?

>> No.197363

i've made wine, mead, and applejack without ANY specialized equipment. blueberry shouldn't be much different
>get blueberry juice in the biggest fucking jug you can (i'm using my ratios from 96fl oz jugs). pure blueberry juice. some companies add vitamin c, but thats chill
you can also get a bunch of little blueberry juices and pour them into a larger bottle, but then you have to sterilize stuff. (pour 1 tbsp of bleach and a bunch of water inna larger bottle, shake, rinse thoroughly)
>make sure to leave a fair bit of airspace on top
>optional: add 1 cup of sugar if you want to boost alc content
>activate some yeast. if you can find champagne yeast, good for you. if not put 1 tbsp of LIVE baker's yeast in a cup of lukewarm water. stir until the clumps are broken up, and wait 5 minutes
>pour the yeast slurry in your juice
>make sure you still have +- 2 inches of airspace
>fold a paper towel twice so it's 4 layers thick, and rubberband it in place of the cap. save the cap though.
>the next day you should see a lot of small bubbles rising up to the top of your brew
if not, make sure your yeast proofs in the warm water. it's really not an issue with today's yeast, but if your yeast was old/whatever, check.
>just let the brew do it's thing until you don't see any more little bubbles coming to the top.
>remove paper towels, and cap it.
>vent the pressure periodically by opening the cap a until it hisses, but never all the way off
>the yeast will settle to the bottom of the jug over time
>when your brew is clear, siphon off the clear bit, or just slowly pour it to another clean jug
>drink
>drank
>drunk

>> No.197368

>>197341
Use a grommet or plug just like when you use an airlock then use tubing that goes into a bottle with water in it.I like to do it that way so I can pipe the gas from the top of the bottle taking the gas to outside so I don't have to smell it. When you run 55 gallon drums inside standard airlocks don't cut it and it reeks. If its your first run grab an airlock, I like the 3 part kind but home made types that have a tube allow you to over fill a little as foam can jet to the bottle instead of pooping all over.

>> No.197370

>>197368
>55 gallon drum
what the hell kind of operation are you running?

>> No.197371

>>197370
was poteen. now nothing. blacked out all my friends for 6 months. I also did huge amounts of dumpster wine/brandy. My friends all kept posting on facebook pics repeatably "I don't remember that happening" to many events. Heck 2 of my friends are married due to the sauces made out of the drums of doom. they just had their firsttalented /diy/erand might not have ever hooked up without the frozen mixed drinks made out of banana dumpster juice.

>> No.197375

>>197371
where can i get a 55gal drum that isn't full of oil?
how much will it run me?

>> No.197383

>>197375
Around here people sell them on craigslist for like $15 from bulk food places. Just make sure to get food grade.

>> No.197392

yep CL is great for them. pantera breads factory is close to me and has them for 20 for one 150 for 10 and even less for more. I want to move up to IBC totes soon. 330 gallons beotch.

>> No.197925

Somewhat related:

Favorite not-grape wines and how to make them?

I'm a cider guy myself, can't really stand anything else, but I have little experience and there are almost no craft breweries here. Just curious to see what /diy/ likes drinking and how it's made.

>> No.197928

>>197925

best type is whatever is in the dumpster. Cheap and good if you know what you are doing. No sense in letting the dumpster fruit go to waste right? Hit the store everyday and invest in a chest freezer for you treasures. Most of the stuff you will find will still be in boxes or wraps so its not even touching the actual dumpster. If you do ask the produce guy to call you when he is dumping a good score sometimes they will drop you a text if you start tossing them bottles back of the goods. It pays to do that and they will make sure the good scores are on tops and clean. Got about 150 pounds of strawberries once so far and apples all the freaking time. I made a ghetto press out of some wood and acme threaded rod that works soso but the cops took it. They thought it was drug stuff when they raided me. Called my house a meth lab and told the neighbors I was making meth. called HAZMAT and are trying to charge me 2500 to clean up my own house.

>> No.197954

>>197375
ethic food marts are the best places to go, especially Greek and middle eastern ones. Many of them get their olives in massive plastic barrels that they sell for about 20 to 30 buck each.