[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 730 KB, 900x2000, Twitter_20200413_164007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1957942 No.1957942 [Reply] [Original]

how do you learn language and actually finishing... i am currently trying to learn japnese but with its sheer kanjis and size how do i actually expand them all and become capable in using it?

>> No.1957986

I took Japanese in high school and college, I would say to ignore kanji and master the basics first, then slowly learn more and more of the most common kanji.

If you want to use a book "adventures in japanese" was my foundation... you may want to actually take classes because your going to need to actually speak it and hear it spoken correctly for it to work...

>> No.1957987

>>1957942
>>>/jp/
You never *finish* anon, just like you aren't a master of the English language.

>> No.1958000

>>1957942
>>>/int/134443698

>> No.1958013

>>1957942
Just do everything that
Organic Japanese with Cure Dolly
tells you to do.

>> No.1958014

>>1957942
_Rememberingnthe Kanji_ by Heisig is very good for english. The characters taught with radical and symbolic elements from the get go and he builds stories about them from the get go.

Some other books since have imitated it, but for the longest time it was just shut up and memorize

>> No.1958015

>>1958014
I got started with that, but once I realized he was just making up stories, I thought "fuck, I can do that." Now I research the etymology on wikitionary since a lot of them really do have some kind of logic to them. As I learn what all the parts mean, sometimes I can correctly guess the meaning just looking at the parts.

>> No.1958019

romajidesu.com is helpfru
so is jisho.org

as dictionaries.
I like romajidesu breaks the kanji down into parts.

>> No.1958038

Hanzi, anything with Chinese Characters has to be learned through repetition, practice and so on.

For other languages, it's learning vocabulary, basic grammar, then you should start learning sentences, and then recognizing audio. Then it quickly moves on to reading novels, writing essays, and giving speeches in said foreign language.

>> No.1958050

The Japanese just stole everything from the chinks and japs are an irrelevant and dying culture so you’re better off just studying mandarin

>> No.1958066

>>1958050
found the ccp

>> No.1958072

Consistent daily routine. Every day for 2 hours, you can split it up.
You also need a language partner willing to speak with you in a language you are bad at. You will figure it out if you cannot escape with English.
For Chinese theres a weird threshold after 1000 words where things kind of click because you have a familiarity with the radicals and the learning process changes. I never had incremental improvements, it was always random jumps.
Also anki or memrise for vocabulary acquisition.

>> No.1958099

>japanese
fuck off weebshit

>> No.1958125

>>1958099
nihonjin

>> No.1958499

>>1957942
i have been learning japanese for 6 years and i would consider myself functionally fluent at this point, i passed jlpt n2 and i can read most novels. so here is my advice:
at the very beginning, just learn hiragana, katakana (this should be fairly easy), the most basic kanji (numbers, directions, weather, no more than like 100 kanji) and focus on vocab and GRAMMAR. people say kanji is the hardest thing about japanese but this is probably false, its just a grind. japanese grammar is very difficult because the way that basic things are expressed in japanese are fundamentally different than from english, and there many grammatical phenomena that don't have a direct equivalent in english. so focus on grammar, start with particles, then verb conjugation (save passive and causative form for later), and then some essential expressions (表現). then focus on getting through all the jlpt n5, n4, and some n3 grammar (n3 has the most content), supplementing with vocab on the way. when you want to know a word just look on jisho.org and make an anki card.
after you get to around n3 level grammar, go back and start learning more kanji and make sure you learn vocab that goes with the kanji (dont use anki for this, if you handwrite kanji for practice you will learnt them twice as fast). if you want to be able to read a real novel, you will have to learn around 2200 to 2500, but honestly 500 to 1000 will be passable, and they get easier the more you learn. also note that radicals (部首) have much less rhyme or reason than chinese, but they're still kind of important for remember how to write kanji.
at this point you should be able to speak some basic conversational japanese and you will have a strong foundation to continue your study.

>> No.1958500

>>1958499
(Cont)
for studying grammar, I recommend
https://maggiesensei.com/index-main-lessons/
https://youtube.com/GJaNjKJcYuw
maggie sensei and miku are great when you're starting out and
https://youtube.com/0x3SN2Qalms
https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n3-grammar-ような気がする-youna-ki-ga-suru/
and あらい and japanesetest4u when you are getting more advanced.
hope this all helps anon, and good luck. becoming fluent in japanese is a life long pursuit, and i still have a long way to go myself but 頑張ってください!

>> No.1958603

>>1958499
have sex

>> No.1959647

>>1957942
You picked one of the hardest languages for a native english speaker to learn. Listen to it, read it, and speak it every single day. Use Anki, there's lots of material already out there for Japanese. If you aren't regularly talking to Japanese friends online you won't make any progress, download one of those language exchange apps.

>> No.1959736

>>1957942
>how do you learn language
By using it.
Source: I'm ESL that also happens to know Spanish besides my mother tongue Russian.
Also it helps picking languages that aren't too far away.

>> No.1959744

>>1958603
Bitches love dudes who are bi-lingual

>> No.1959747

>>1958500
>>1958499
How much time per day have you dedicated to it. Or at least earlier on.
I used to be VERY interested in this years ago, started a stopped a few times and never dedicated myself to it.

Now I have a job and real hobbies that take real time. Im not sure how much time I can dedicate a day to it.