[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 298 KB, 1920x1080, ScottyKilmerWithMindVirus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1956148 No.1956148 [Reply] [Original]

Posted a few months ago seeking a good mic for basic youtube narration videos. Something that will tide me over until I get shadow banned. I know Blue yeti is an overshilled meme but after getting help last bread ive still been researching.
I bought behringer um2 thanks to anons help.
I was going to pull trigger on a stellar x2 or a heil pr-40 (for art bell larp) but then I started diving into "comparison videos" on youtube. I am wondering if all mics are audiophool bullshit when it comes to youtube because:
>every mic channel comparison vid I watched, pretty much all mics sounded exactly the same when using shitty galaxy s5 speakers.
>rewatched those videos using shitty JVC XX headphone cans, MAYBE can tell a slight difference
These comparison vids showcased amazon chink $20 mics and neuman u87 and/or RE20, there wasnt a huge discernable difference. I scroll into the comments and read tons of bugman posts describing the mics like wine masters using audiophool buzzwords (the most disgusting of which was "glittery")

Anon, when it comes to mics on youtube for narration/podcast, are most of these pro mics just a meme? I wanted to buy a good one because I wanted to use the right tool for the job... but now i'm wondering if the right tool for the job just means some bugmen will use audiophool buzzwords in my comment section, meanwhile normal people won't even notice.
What am I fucking missing here?
>inb4 audiophool fags suggest I try autoerotic asphixiaion with a non-oxygenated copper XLR cable

>> No.1956154

>>1956148
95% of your audience are gonna be listening on crap speakers headphones or their phones anyway so unless you're making music who fucking cares

>> No.1956220

>>1956148
Something like an NT1(A) has a really low noise floor, which is objectively good and measurable. Beyond that, yeah it's porbably a bit of a meme. There are obviously differences, but I think you get into a territory quite quickly where you can't really objectively say that one mic is better than the other. I only have a BM-800 I bought for $7 or somethimg like that and the noise floor is quite high, but it can be modded to improve it significantly. You could probably use it, maybe eq it a little, and most people would probably think it was fine.

>> No.1956305
File: 726 KB, 1105x931, keyboardcat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Buy the 12$ BM-800, connect it to a big ass used interface bought locally for maybe 60 bucks, which will serve you for a few decades potentially, https://soundcloud.com/user-721343542/bm800modbutitsalsousingalongxlrcableforantennareasons/s-CDFUJaBJwW7 and make sure your noise levels are good and power is clean

>> No.1956351

>>1956148
if the quality of the chink mic is sufficient for you on your chink speakers.. then go for it... I dont think anyone making stupid youtuve videos would ever need more than a Behringer UM

>> No.1956369 [DELETED] 

Here is another good idea, OP.
Buy some tascam portable microphone interface combination thing with microphones and connect it to your computers line in.

For 50 bucks total you have a portable studio microphone with exceptional quality and the ability to gather foliage sounds in nature etc whatever you wanna do with it.

As a bonus its EXTREMLY good for listening to music with as their DACs and headphone amplifiers are at least twice as good objectivly as anything you get prebundled with a phone or computer

>> No.1956376
File: 1.03 MB, 1438x2430, tascamdr100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you don't feel like modding the bm-800 this might be an overall better option. Same price of about 50 bucks

Buy some tascam portable microphone interface combination thing with microphones and connect it to your computers line in.

For 50 bucks total you have a portable studio microphone with exceptional quality and the ability to gather foliage sounds in nature etc whatever you wanna do with it.

As a bonus its EXTREMLY good for listening to music with as their DACs and headphone amplifiers are at least twice as good objectivly as anything you get prebundled with a phone or computer

>> No.1956398

>>1956376
oh and you can record under your blankets in you bed since you most likely dont have any acoustic treatment anywhere in your room

>> No.1956769

>>1956376
I was willing to believe you but then I got to this part
>their DACs and headphone amplifiers are at least twice as good objectivly as anything you get prebundled with a phone or computer

>> No.1956833 [DELETED] 

Thanks for all the input friends. The tascam looks kinda kino.
The BM-800, looked up the mod and would be able to do it. I bought a AT2100X kit with mount/arm. Used amazon so I wont feel bad about returning it if I dont like it. Will grab a bm800 and try the mod if I can find one dirt cheap.
>>1956376
Any idea on an example make/model of a mixer I would need? Dont need a ton o examples, just so I can find other similar devices. Not sure exactly what kinda mixer i'd be lookin for.
I also have isolated cuckshed with moving blankets and 3 mattresses I was thinking about standing on end to make a booth, will try with and without.

>> No.1956861
File: 102 KB, 567x453, itIsYourBoySkinnyPenis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks for all the input friends.
>>1956376
The tascam looks kinda kino, will keep eye on fleabay for used one that isnt 300+ USD.

>>1956305
I checked out the mod, am tooled up to do the job. Bought BM800 and also an at2100x on amazon to test em out. Will be a dirtbag and return the 2100x if the bm800 is as equally ~GLITTERY~ as the modded bm800.
Any idea on an example make/model of a mixer I would need? Dont need a ton o examples, just so I can figure out what similar devices to keep eye open for.

In regards to soundproofing, I have isolated cuckshed. Will arrange 3 mattresses I have in it (that sounds creepy) to build a small booth and moving blankets for the open side. Just for comparing treated vs non treated.

>> No.1956878

>>1956861
Make sure to use the APPROVED schematic (literally says so on it). Actually I don't know if that's the one to use, do your research.
Do you not have the um2? Why do you want a mixer?
BM-800 will most likely sound better since it's a condenser.

>> No.1956896
File: 2.24 MB, 4304x2860, 1588361226860.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not OP but would like to do the exact same thing, basically blogpost my builds on yt and hope that anyone cares about it.
Anyone know if I could buy and repair a Blue Yeti? I don't care if it is a meme, it is relatively cheap and has good quality. I also consider getting some cheap lavalier mic as they would be really neat when speaking in front of a camera but there are so many crappy ones on amazon and then there's the really expensive prpfessional ones, has anyone got a model I could get for <50€ (don't mind if used, but it should be available)
>>1956376
Interesring idea, any cheaper models? Recording sounds of nature sounds so comfy, and thanks to coronachan there aren't too many planes atm

>> No.1956901

>>1956896
If the blue yeti was better it wouldn't be considered such a meme. I wouldn't bother. There are alternatives.
Lavalier mics are 100% dependent on your soundcard. If you just plug it into your pc it was most likely suck ass.

>> No.1957078
File: 150 KB, 900x1200, CSHCTYAW0AAbrh0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1956878
I mispoke, meant to say interface but maybe thats the same thing.
Will do regarding the mod research.
>>1956896
I was going to repair broken blue yeti but they sell them for way too much even broken. Then you have to hope the retard who managed to break the USB connector didn't also manage to try and fix it already and rape the PCB traces with a weller soldering GUN. What if it broke because of something other than usb port such as a shorted IC etc that will require you spending hours trying to track down for a mic that people like picrel use because reddit or eceleb told them. Is that what you want bro?
Listen to mic comparisons on YT like I did, there is barely any noticeable difference unless maybe if youre wearing very expensive headphones and want to larp like you hear profound differences so you can post about it in the comments with other bugmen.
If youre in a sound booth and shooting pro commercials or movie music shit then yes mic may be big deal. For youtube or streaming online, I doubt. After researching it I think there is such mic hype because its trendy to make videos but hard to not suck, so they make videos and reddit posts by projecting their fears as ~content~ in hopes of growing their ~interactions~. Absolutely degenerate.

>> No.1957082

>>1956896
just noticed the pic, holy kek. Thanks

>> No.1957249

>>1957078
Are there any other mics worth repairing with a simple faulty connector or something like that?

>> No.1957294

>>1956148

Get a Marshall mic and hotrod it, you'll probably find online some mods like changing out the capsule, etc. Easy way to have an affordable mid grade mic.

>> No.1957296

https://www.tab-funkenwerk.org/articles-tech-documents-2/chinese-mic-mods/

>> No.1957325

>>1957294
>>1957296
>Marshall microphone
Kek. Did you even read the shit you linked? He is already skeptical and you want him to get a tube amp.

>> No.1957341

You don't need any of that.
Look at Big Clive. Big popular channel and he records everything with just his cell phone.

>> No.1957348

>>1957341
But he gets an automatic pass because he's a big gay, makes actual content and isn't a clickbait faggot.
Some phones do have ok mics, but most rely on heavy handed noise suppression.

>> No.1958180

>>1956376
What about the Tascam DR-05X? I can't afford anything over 100€ and would like to spend less than 50 if its possible

>> No.1958426

>>1958180
It's probably fine dependent on what you wanna do with it? I think it gets recommended over the zoom h1 which isn't bad (though handling noise is high). Check some reviews/samples.

>> No.1958434

Check out Adam Curry’s set up from the no agenda so, he post equipment and settings online. Search podfather gear.

>> No.1959859

>>1958434
Way too expensive. Lav mics are the best option by far

>> No.1959862

AT2020 and Behringer UMC202.

>> No.1959994

>>1959862
Why not just buy the USB version and save 70$?

>> No.1960024

>only cares about mic
>no mention of preamp/interface your using
>probly has no idea how to set a compressor or gate

Start over faggot

>> No.1960809

Why does everyone and their mothers use a condenser microphone? I can see them being used to make music, but dynamic microphones seem a lot more suitable for voice input that isn't for music. Not to mention that dynamic microphones are generally cheaper too.

Can some anon who has better insight explain it to a brainlet?

>> No.1961003

>>1956220
>I only have a BM-800 I bought for $7 or somethimg like that and the noise floor is quite high, but it can be modded to improve it significantly.
Does anyone have a link to the mod plans?
>>1956305
>big ass used interface bought locally for maybe 60 bucks
brand/model recommendations?
>>1960024
>probly has no idea how to set a compressor or gate
OK, give us some tips?
If the mods / recommendations/settings depend on a particular use case, I'm thinking of yapping away about esoteric topics on jewtube and bitchute, podcasts, that sort of thing.

>> No.1961007

>>1956148
>I am wondering if all mics are audiophool bullshit
Yes, if you are recording just for YT. You could use a one dallah lapel mic. EQ and mic placement are going to have a huge impact on quality. Remember that most people are listening to your video on a smartphone speaker or a bt speaker. I seriously think you're over thinking this.

>> No.1961014

>>1956148
have you even used it yet?

>> No.1961230
File: 109 KB, 737x552, 1483913798318.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1961003
Might want to look into it a bit more before you do it. Someone was saying the 63v cap is completely overkill and 16v should do, but I can't confirm.
>>1960809
Condensers are better in a controlled environment. They sound natural.
Dynamic mics make you sound like radio dj.
Zoomers and normies will buy whatever they are told to buy.
>>1961007
Even the best lapel mic will sound like hot garbage on a mediocre onboard sound card.

>> No.1961243

>>1956148
Audio-Technica 2020. Youre welcome.

>> No.1961306

Bruh, get yourself boya by-m1, connect to smartphone or sound card and you gonna have perfect audio for your yt ventures for 5-10 bucks.

>> No.1962205

>>1961306
How can I check prior if my phones soundcard is good enough?

>> No.1963896

>>1962205
Hook up any cheap mic. Any random headset should work. If it sounds like ass, you have a bad one.

>> No.1964003

>>1956148
No, it's not a meme. You don't want a condenser mic for a podcast. You want a dynamic mic. If you can't tell the difference between the two in a recording then I don't know what to tell you.

>> No.1964128
File: 893 KB, 1620x1080, criticalListening.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP reporting back, sorry for the delay it's been a busy week. About to try the mic and um2 out today.
>>1957341
Clive is cool but id rather not hold my phone the whole time. Bad enough it seems I must have dynamic mic really close to face.
May grab a lav mic to try, James Corbett Report uses a lapel while walking down street talking about conspiracies, doesnt sound half bad over my shitty speakers.
>inb4 audiofag:"Corbett's lav mic picks up too much street noise. It quickly fatigues the ear. Digesting content with such a sound stage requires me to take frequent breaks."

>> No.1964241

>>1956148
Do you even have a good interface, or are you using some shitty soundcard?
Schiiit hel is a decent purchase.

>> No.1964281
File: 420 KB, 2000x1125, dr-40x_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1958180
>What about the Tascam DR-05X?
Yes after I wrote that post I got myself a X version too when I noticed they can be used as an usb audio interface. I haven't bothered to fix or find out why but if I use mine as an usb audio interface the noise floor is quite high at a constant -35db which seems to have nothing to do with mic level. Got the dr-40x used for 102$. Recordings with it sound absolutly amazing and it features good navigation if you wanna hear music through its amazing DAC and Headphone Amplifiers but to me it's worth the step up because I can plug two phantom powered high quality condenser mics into it, making it a compantion I'll keep for a long time. I also own a dr-05, its good for the 50 bucks or under you pay for it, but if you are serious about recording fine details from exactly what you are pointing at, then the dr-40x is doing a lot better and is more future proof.

Whatever you get, consider diying a deadcat for it

>>1961230
this mod is approved, did the same. Dont be afraid to use what you have on hand. It doesnt need to be exactly 470ohm or 220uF.
I used two 100 uf caps in paralell

After that the mic is amazing. Noise floor is -60db

>> No.1964570

>>1957249
>Are there any other mics worth repairing with a simple faulty connector or something like that?

No, anything professional the owner will send out to get repaired by the Oem.

>> No.1964600

>>1956148
Why are you doing my man Steve Guttenberg so dirty?

>> No.1965216

>>1964600
Gutenberg was only good when he used to get relentlessly cyber bullied in the comments each upload.
>>1964241
interface im using is a behringer uphoria um2, probably is shit tier but it sounds alright to me. Still think I may return the 2100x and do modded bm800 thing. Or lav mic/headset. Youtube seems like not supet important to be geared up too hard. Anon was right, I was likely overthinking it.

>> No.1965218

>>1965216
My take is that
good headphones > good interface > good mic
In priority list.
For the headphones, I have advice: Sennheiser HD600.
For the interface... audiosciencereview. But Schiit Hel would be a decent start if you want something portable with analog mic support.
Can't advice much on mic... I personally use a logitech c920 webcam's mic. That's digital and does the job.

>> No.1965223

>>1956148
you wanted a good one and the only people who can tell the difference use odd terms to describe a personal perception of the difference in the product...

maybe you should just accept that nobody gives a shit what you say and your channel wont get more than 40 views. thats right i said channel. its to late to be a youtube whore. you needed a channel a decade ago and half the people who made money retired. like spoonys faggot ass. now nobody can do what spoony did because nobody cares.all of the tgwtg people are out of commision. pewds retired as well.

see there is this thing where the fake stuff made to generate the illusion of a route you could take in life are removed just so your reaction to being late to something that never was can be checked and the big picture qualified. no one will be the minecraft faggot or flappy bird nigger ever again. that ship sailed. still people persist and release indie crap on steam that makes less than $100 after a year and here you are trying to start a youtube channel

i bet when you fail you will be homeless crying about bugmen using ghey words in a alley while being butt fucked for meth money

>> No.1965943

>>1965223
wait so im too late to make a real crime channel?
Lay off the adderall before posting, faggot.