[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 634 KB, 1200x900, web5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1948128 No.1948128 [Reply] [Original]

**Shipping container general**

Post all your shipping container questions, tips, projects, etc in this thread!

>> No.1948134
File: 124 KB, 1920x423, shipping-container-house.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1948128
Ill start! Does anyone have any tips when building a shipping container house? Im not after anything fancy, and will just plop a bed in there when I start out. (It will be above ground btw)

Main points of interest:
>>Fresh and waste water
I was planning on just using big jugs of drinking water (25L or so) for drinking, cooking, washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc. As for the waste, I was planning on doing all of this over a bucket or container, and hoping to somehow 'clean\filter' it for super cheap (cheaper than new water). The used waste water would hopefully be clean enough to use to hand wash cloths. If not, just water plants or chuck it outside.

>>Toilet\Shower
I was planning on washing with a rag and water at first, and hoping it will get me by until I sort something better out. As for the toilet, I was planning on just pissing in the outdoors. I have no idea what to do about poop though. Iv heard about composting toilets that can last for a very long time.

>>Power
This is where I excel. I will use a small solar array and inverter to get mains power. I have a stack of rechargeable batteries that I can use for my phone and laptop, as well as small low powered devices (like USB fans, lights, etc). I will run custom strings of LEDs for lighting, all terminated to a USB male connector. Im not currently planning on using 12\24v batteries with the solar array (as they are the biggest cost).

>>Fridge
Im hoping to get a 12\24v camping fridge (compressor, not peltier), and running it straight from solar. The main thing I can think of that I would use it for is milk though, and I can just use powdered for that (which doesnt need to be refrigerated). Im not too sure if it will stay cold overnight in summer, so will need to look into that.

If anyone has any insight into the above, please post!

>> No.1948147

>>1948134
filtering your peepeepoopoo water will always be more expensive than new water unless you're in a space station

>> No.1948154

>>1948147
thanks anon! I was thinking more dish washing water or brushing teeth water, but you are still probably right

>> No.1948178

>>1948128
how do shipping container anons deal with heat and cool

>> No.1948183

>>1948178
They Die

>> No.1948186

>>1948183
Surely they could insulate with the imitation crab meat? What about covering the container in dirt or black.

>> No.1948206

>>1948134
Study tincancabin, camaratta and Sea Box etc
Use High Cube 40' containers for the inside height.
2-1/2" angle works for door frames
6" cutting disks and 3M 5200 are love.
Railroad tie under each end works as foundation
Fuck artfaggotry, copy industrial and military design
Place power pole with outdoor 120v and 240v outlets then you'll have power
Build a shop first using one container.
Stainless fasteners are cheap via Ebay
Buy "one trip" grade containers NOT old shit.
Study for many hours until you can answer most of your own questions. If you need spoonfeeding study until you do not.
Did I mention study? I did before building my shops so you can to. If you won't, go die.
Study how containers are delivered to site.
Study winching and rigging if you need to move yours further than the trailer will place it. You can and I have winched them by hand. It's not hard. Download USMC rigging manual.
Jacks are love. Old "railroad" jacks are best.

Don't have fantasies. Plan seriously. Own a welder of at least 180A capacity. MIG with CO2 works nicely. Leave it inside and ground to the shell.

Post again when you start your shop.

>> No.1948213

>>1948134
>Im not currently planning on using 12\24v batteries with the solar array (as they are the biggest cost).
A couple of marine leisure batteries and a cheap charge controller is less than 200 bucks, if you cannot afford that, you can't afford the rest of it.

>> No.1948223

>>1948213
If OP cannot afford several thousand dollars for the container after buying the land xir is fucked anyway.

>> No.1948274
File: 961 KB, 327x251, OP and his favorite food.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1948128
how much imitation crab meat can a shipping container hold? should I paint mine white with a shot of black? How deep should I bury it?

asking for a friend.

>> No.1948358
File: 38 KB, 600x600, DIY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1948134

>> No.1948362

>>1948206
>3M 5200
Seconding, this is the best sealant ever invented. Better than anything you get in the sealant section at the hardware store, unless they happen to stock 5200

>> No.1948372

>>1948134
You could use a water tank and raise it with scaffolding for gravity fed pressure.. Then you could bury a septic tank. Just as long as you can get it pumped every couple years or whatever.

You'll need to find a water source to fill the tank with, either with a local source and ram pump or small electric pump. Otherwise if you have a pickup truck, a separate water tank, and access to nearby lakes or rivers you can fill your tower up as needed. Probably only a 5 hour job every few months with daily water use.

>> No.1948380

>>1948372
With very infrequent showering, normal toilet usage and washing dishes, a water tote in a pickup truck lasts my rural friends about two weeks.

>> No.1948434

Would it be worth getting a shipping container for ma rabbit farm. I dont like just having the cages exposed out in the open or with just a roof over them. I thought about getting a cheap shed built but a shipping container might be better. Just like up a wall with rabbit cages and call it a day. Think it be worth or should I just make a new shed.

>> No.1948452

>>1948434
Get as many containers onto your lot as possible before the crackdown.

>> No.1948455

>>1948206
thanks anon, I have access to all the tools you mentioned + more, so no issues there. I will continue to study!

>>1948213
the container is 3k, a decent battery to last is around 5-6k. The solar inverter would handle the charging if I did get batteries too, so not an additional cost there.

>>1948372
>>1948380
Yeah, even with super minimal water usage, im not sure a water tank that could fit on the back of a car would last months

>> No.1948499

>>1948455
make sure to bury it under no less than 6 feet of dirt for stability.

>> No.1948505

>>1948434
Price a WWT (Wind and Water Tight, typical cheap grade) to see if it makes sense for you. You will need ventilation. See what other rabbitoids do but it will amply protect your cages which you can hang from the tiedown loops on the ceiling to leave your floor easy to sweep.

>> No.1948507

>>1948362
Another goo of the gods is aircraft fuel tank sealant which is better but much more expensive. It's fuel, hydraulic and everything else resistant. I keep a couple of Semkits for special jobs.

>> No.1948510

>>1948358
No human could indivdually fuck up a water supply if they shit on land because they could not shit that much. You fearfags in these threads forget anyone with a couple of doggos generates similar turd volume.

Do you demand portashitters on the Appalachian Trail?

IRL septics can be up to 50 feet from a shallow well per code. Real world, not your asstarded fantasy autspergland.

https://www.ovmfinancial.com/well-and-septic/

Poopits tend to have longer distance requirements from wellheads. Of course if you place your cuckshed to split the distance that may work better for you. Example code:

https://casetext.com/regulation/michigan-administrative-code/department-environmental-quality/drinking-water-municipal-assistance-division/outhouses/section-r-325422-minimum-standards-for-earth-pit-outhouses

>> No.1948511

>>1948505
Only do this if there is some way to keep the cages grounded.

>> No.1948513

>>1948178
Insulation appropriate to location, some even buy reefer boxes which are pre-insulated so they work in very hot climates. Reefer dry vans are an option.

Others use foam board, bubble insulation like my bro uses on his machine shop, or none like my shops but if I lived in one I'd go foam and bubble.
Copy ideas like the emergency shelter kits. There's a lot of cool stuff to learn and the work is easy.
https://www.seabox.com/products/detail/shelterpak

I prefer a door in the end door for my shops but a rural cuckshed may benefit from recessed doors as shown above.

>> No.1948516

>>1948511
If they're hanging on the wall you can easily ground them to the shell if that's actually an issue then drive a ground rod as I did for my shops. You can either use simple ground straps or wire, or tack weld them all as an assembly (it's a good opportunity to make custom cages and tack a strap to the shell. I ground to shell when I weld on my containers.

>> No.1948517

>>1948510
no pit shall be located less than 25 feet from any lake or stream

>> No.1948522

>>1948510
Who's objecting to septic systems? OP is proposing to piss and shit in the yard. Do you pick up your dog's shit or let it build up?

>> No.1948700
File: 102 KB, 2048x1035, canvas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to build something like this. Build a simple ranch style house from three 40' containers. Wood trusses on top. I would get about 1000 sq feet. I could use 53' containers to get more room.

I want to build it 8-10' off the ground for a shop space below. Either just on concrete piers or on a slab and concrete wall.

I live in Florida though, I feel like the option with concrete walls would cost a fortune and add a bunch of .gov hurricane rated BS to the project vs. doing piers and walling it in later on.

>> No.1948726

>>1948380
How many gallons?

>> No.1948737

I mean if we don’t do what this thread says then what are we gonna do? Lol, source a quarter million gold coins and buy a house? Why?

>> No.1948744

>>1948737
who are you replying to? no one said to do it a specific way or dont buy a shippers?

>> No.1948770

I'm just going to throw this out there. Anyone thinking of building a Shipping Container House or what ever is nuts. It will end up costing more than just building a conventional dwelling.

If you got the container for free, and just used it for a hunt cabin or something (cut a door and window in it and through in a wood stove, that might be worth it.

They are dirty fucking nightmares if you get a used one. You would be better off getting an old Refer trailer that is already sprayed foamed with Insulation. They are washed out after ever load by law since they carry food.

Shipping containers are a meme....

>> No.1948797

>>1948128
Honest to God, why must you faggots choose to live in a cargo container? There are thousands of different materials and methods to build a house with. You do not need to be a literal faggot and pay thousands of dollars for a weird container home.

Take the cob pill.

>> No.1948800

>>1948797
here in australia, 3k (delivered) for a 40ft (12m) stronk container is a bargain. used shitty tiny caravans go for 3k (completely fucked) to 15k (tiny and old, but movable)

>> No.1949049

>>1948800
so you buy a container for 3k and then spend 12k fixing it up. seams legit.
legit stupid.

>> No.1949051

>>1948800
>3k (delivered) for a 40ft (12m) stronk container
Is that a highboy?

>> No.1949165

>>1949051
yeah

>>1949049
yeah well 15k for a 12m home thats done up and solid vs 15k for a tiny old caravan, that was renovated in the mid 90s and is something like 4m.

>> No.1949282
File: 765 KB, 561x901, DIYCaptcha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1948128

>> No.1949284
File: 922 KB, 761x569, stringio.jpg-6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1948770
For sake of discussion, what makes it cost more?

I agree the best use is a single container as a cabin, but for example say I wanted to build a ranch style house with three containers, 1000sq ft. Cost of three containers is about $9k. Figure $10k total with crane rental to move them.

I think it would cost more than wood frame, but I live in Florida you are an idiot if you build a house from wood here. So I guess I'd have to compare it to slab on grade with block walls, but I don't know if that is cheaper. Maybe it is until you have to put stucco on it.

Also in Florida, the local building department would require you to bring in fill dirt to bring the grade up for a concrete slab. That alone would cost me $10k+. I don't know if I could get around having to do that if I build off of concrete piers? All the new houses I see are slab built on 5 feet of dirt. I have seen new mobile homes put in with and without a raised building pad so I dunno.

One thing that would cost substantially more is the cost of steel to add windows and doors. It would cost more than framing out of wood for sure.

>> No.1949286

>>1949284
>One thing that would cost substantially more is the cost of steel to add windows and doors. It would cost more than framing out of wood for sure.
I also what to add that there would be cost to gutting some of the interior metal walls.

I assume all other costs involved would be comparable, so really just the foundation and structure is what is different.

>> No.1949290

>>1948726
275 gal if I remember right

>> No.1949301

>>1948128
How many bodies?

Need length and width measurements please.

>> No.1949348

>>1949284
>For sake of discussion, what makes it cost more?
Framing an equivalent 40x8sqft area with studs+plywood is less expensive than a steel container only if your time is worth nothing... so you're saving 1 or 2 grand for the project.
Shipping containers have been a meme for years because they have a modular rugged industrial aesthetic to them which is attractive for whatever reason. I'm not the other poster but I think they're a meme because they are tiny homes for hipsters who are too proud to live in a used RV.

>> No.1949349

>>1948800
Go on youtube and check out people who have built a container home like this. I'm not talking about the yuppies that spend 80k on some designer container home. I'm talking about someone who literally gets some containers, puts them together, and does all the other work to make it livable.

The homes are shit. They have low ceilings, they are tiny, and you feel like you're trapped in a container. Nearly all kf them are shit unless you spend the money transforming them into just literal walls. But at that point, why even bother?

>> No.1949359

>>1949348
>I think they're a meme because they are tiny homes for hipsters who are too proud to live in a used RV
I agree although at least a container house could be built to be a legit real house and would last a lot longer.

The gay "tiny houses" that are heavy as fuck, oversized, and built on the cheapest most lightweight trailer frames that hipsters could tow with a borrowed F150 are memes. They aren't legal where I live unless you park it in an RV park...which isn't really a house and at that point why wouldn't you just buy a camper lmao

>>1949349
i would pay a little more to get high roof containers for more ceiling height.

>> No.1949397

Container homes aren't as bad as you guys make them out to be. They also have some major shortcomings that I find hard to ignore. But with all that being said, I think if you are looking for simplicity and trying to save on time, it wouldn't be such a terrible option. The only problem is the cost. You need at least 4 of these to live like a normal person. Ideally you'd want 8 and to stack half of them. Use and extra 2 ft for the ceiling and use the rest for storage or sleeping births.

>> No.1949919
File: 858 KB, 1125x1525, 146CF379-CB46-4FFC-A401-54699025B36A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Your smithing level isn’t even 100,
And the blacksmith is out for profit

>> No.1950016

>>1949919
lol the economy is shit. There are hundreds of welders within 10 miles of me who will suck my dick and weld my holes.

>> No.1950020

>>1950016
this post would make a good sub banner or something

>> No.1950021

how easy is it to insulate this, add a simple hvac system, electricity, and basic water intake from a external pump system

>> No.1950046

>>1950016
Do you want you holes welded by a 50 yo DOMINANT slut or a 18 yo cutie bitch, both can suck your dick only one will get things done right

>> No.1950067

>>1949284

They are expensive because after you buy them you still have to basically start from scratch and clean, cut, frame, insulate, run electrical, water, HVAC,etc.

See where this is going? You are paying 3 k for something that has toxic paint, dirty as fuck, small, and requires everything you would need if you were building a regular place. If you need a hunt cabin, extra storage, then sure. If your buying one to turn into a livable unit, your wasting your money and time.

You can buy a fucking single wide or double wide that is already finished for what the shipping container is going to cost you to build out. Shipping containers are a fucking meme. Like the other poster said, they are for Youtube fags and retarded hipsters.

There are plenty of Trailers in Florida that have survived every fucking Hurricane in the last 50 years. They are insured anyway so who the fuck cares. Don't waste your time on shipping containers, they are fucking stupid.

>> No.1950082

>>1950067
>They are expensive because after you buy them you still have to basically start from scratch and clean, cut, frame, insulate, run electrical, water, HVAC,etc.

You have to do that whether you are building a gay tiny house or a real house anyway so I wasn't even considering that unless it was something in particular that cost more or less because of the container structure. Such as needing to have a welder to cut holes and weld up window and door openings.

I'm not trying to build some bum rape cabin with no power and bucket to shit into. That was my point about comparing the structural costs of wood frame vs. concrete/block vs. containers because that's what you are buying them for. My location causes me to not even consider wood frame so my question is can I use containers to save money over a standard slab/block structure?

>> No.1950083

>>1950067
>You can buy a fucking single wide or double wide that is already finished for what the shipping container is going to cost you to build out. Shipping containers are a fucking meme. Like the other poster said, they are for Youtube fags and retarded hipsters.
There are plenty of Trailers in Florida that have survived every fucking Hurricane in the last 50 years. They are insured anyway so who the fuck cares. Don't waste your time on shipping containers, they are fucking stupid.

I live in a cheap singlewide now that I got in foreclosure. I had to rebuild everything. Adding walls, sheetrock, wiring, hvac, plumbing isn't that scary. Trailers dont actually survive hurricanes well, the area I am in has lots of them and a cat 3 storm about 15 years ago wiped out a bunch of them including my neighbor's. They are also depreciating assets with high interest rates because they are trailers, not houses. You buy one for $75k new and 30 years later it's worth $25k. I dont see any reasons why a container house would depreciate in value if it was built well.

I think I have somewhere around $20-25k in my trailer fixing the exterior, interior, and property. I think I could build out the interior of 3 containers for about $25k using decent materials. It's all the other costs that kill you, septic, well, site development, roof, permits and impact fees.

>> No.1950400

these single container cucksheds are pos
but you can make pretty sexy stuff if you mix 6m with 12m containers

>> No.1950497

>>1948128
want to dig a whole in my garden and bury one as a bunker, am i gonna make it?

>> No.1950538
File: 428 KB, 1302x634, bin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One day I'll live my dream of renovating a bin to show you shipping fags how it's done.

I mean, how hard could it be to insulate and drywall a cylinder?

>> No.1950555

>>1950538
Just cover it with cob.

>> No.1950985

>>1950555
a lot of people in this ITT are shitting on the idea of living in a shippers, but where im from, its so much cheaper. you would never be able to make anything near as sturdy as one with new parts, and the price of used caravans (trailers for you burgers) is insane. YES, its not going to be a 5 star luxury resort, but for the price, it is going to be pretty good

>> No.1951228

>>1948128
So, is it easy to keep taxes low while living in a container home?

>> No.1951370

>>1948128
how would you move these by hand? i wanna use one as a garage/shop/storage until i can save up enough to build an actual garage (i figure maybe 5 years or so). also, whats a cheap easy way to build a foundation for my temp garage?

>> No.1951384

Its been almost a decade since /diy/ was conceived and while there has been weekly container threads the number of acquisitions of said containers have exactly been zero. No surprises there, keep it on pinterest.

>> No.1951698

>>1951384
Once one acquires a container and kits it out, one achieves a state of pure bliss and reaches a higher plane

>> No.1951700

>>1951384
Whatever bro I own one. Maybe I'll make a thread one day.

>> No.1952212

OP here...Im ordering my container today (40ft high cube) and hopefully have it delivered by the end of the week. Ill be posting pics of it when it comes!

>> No.1952223

>>1952212

Chan brothers have failed.

We could not save you from yourself.

It's in Gods Hands now Fren.....

>> No.1952229

>>1952223
it is by far the cheapest, solid storage option in australia i can find. its much much cheaper than even a shitty shed. they all come with hard wood floors, and it shouldnt cost too much to insulate it and pop some shitty walls up. its probably a lot different in burgerland though

>> No.1952280

>>1952229
nah, they make great sheds

You can get a 40' for $3k delivered in burgerkingdom. You can't build a 40x8 shed out of wood for that cheap.

I have heard from a couple people that containers are actually hard to get right now. I guess all the surplus went back into service

>> No.1952972

>> No.1953333

>>1952280
Your container would be good to over 180mph winds without structural deformation and if you cut a decent firebreak (burning vegetation heating any structure heats what's inside) mere embers won't affect them.
My containers ensure no fucking dirt daubers or other critters trash the contents. Gasketed storage is glorious.

Wood is for furniture and camp fires.

>> No.1953351

>>1952212
Good.
Remember when you/if you jack it to level to stack shims as you go. My method of fall management is that I never lift far enough for a slip to cause damage.
Your Landoll driver (most 40's are delivered on those or similar travelling axle trailers) can place them accurately and if you throw a railroad tie beneath each end you can keep it off watery ground. (You can stack ties too.)
Forklift jacks are great for container height shimming use and you can sometimes rent them. Bottle jacks and shims are slow but get it done.
Spray coolant for a holesaw saves teeth and soapy water works fine without leaving oil residue. I anti-seize every threaded fastener and always build for easy maintenance.
My newest container came with an interesting sealant on the door bolts. Looks like electrician's putty and doesn't completely harden so you can replace hardware easily. I use 3M 5200 because tough sealant is fine with me and I can remove anything but it could be good for many users.
If you use it as a shop have the power pole placed with an outdoor breaker panel and outdoor 240 and 120V outlets which get you immediate power to use if you're building a shop. My separate service is dirt cheap even when I'm welding a lot.
A personnel door in the end with no doors or in one of the end doors makes container shops MUCH more convenient to use and you want one. 2-1/2" angle makes a good frame and the metal for my door frame ran about 100 bucks. Ebay is a good source for commercial/industrial hinges and locksets.

>> No.1953399

>>1953351
3m 5200 has zero uv resistance. Try again.

>> No.1953763

I think the most expensive part of any housing arrangement, be it a shipping container, mobile home, or house, is the cost of having a human being come and work on it. You may be able to acquire a shipping container for practically nothing, but hiring the guys with a truck and crane, hiring the guys to build the foundation, hiring the guys to insulate the container, hiring the guys to make it like a house, hiring the guys to install electrical and septic, and other guys who I haven't thought of will be what makes the entire endeavor expensive.

You gotta be rich or incredibly handy to make this shit work.

>> No.1954223

>>1953763
who visits a diy forum to tell people they need to pay others to build shit for them??????

>> No.1954345

What kind of land do you put these things on? I was looking at land in Arizona, and they’re practically giving away 1/4 acre lots, but I wouldn’t want to have one of those in the suburbs - if that’s even allowed. There’s plenty of rural land, but it’s sold in very large chunks. 5 or 10 acres in the middle of nowhere would be ideal.

>> No.1956426

>>1954345
Ill be dumping mine on a rural off-grid farm property. from what ive read on council documents, they really do NOT want these in the suburbs. The only exceptions are when you are building a new house and they will be used for storage of building equipment for a maximum of like 1 or 2 weeks. they call it an eyesore lol

>> No.1956474

Assuming you do all the labor yourself, what is the typical total cost of turning a shipping container into an insulated weatherproof box with electricity and heating/cooling?
When all is said and done, is it actually still cheaper than buying something like a mobile home or travel trailer?

>> No.1956478

>>1956474
In aus, you can get a 40ft container (12m) high cube for around $4k delivered (general purpose, average quality). Its around 1k to get everything to insulate and board up the inside to make it look like a normal house. So around 5k all up assuming you dont mind spending a day or 2 of your time.

A shipping container home has its benefits over a standard caravan, but also some drawbacks...

Pros
>>can withstand just about any storm and weather, basically indestructible.
>>cheap shelter for the size and build quality
>>available just about anywhere worldwide
>>DIYers dream since you can design exactly how you want it

Cons
>>basically impossible to move
>>unlike a caravan, almost no one wants them in public view, and so tricky to get on your property
>>memes

>> No.1956481

>>1956478
>unlike a caravan, almost no one wants them in public view, and so tricky to get on your property
In terms of HOAs deciding what can be visible in the neighborhood where you buy the lot, you mean?
I wonder if you could just bury the container in a mound of dirt and turf it to encase the container in a hill of grass, if that would be more acceptable-looking.

>> No.1956486

>>1956481
AFAIK burying containers is a big maymay here, and a few people have died from the sides collapsing under the sideways pressure

>> No.1956488

>>1956478

Fellow Ausfag and previous container dweller here. There's a shitload of companies that build insulated aluminium-clad leggo blocks that are the same size as a 40ft container for transportation reasons.

Like bunk houses and toilet blocks for mining sites, for ~4k each with all the insulation and electrical wiring already done. Check out sites like https://www.blueskymodularbuildings.com.au/what-we-do/mining-buildings/

My 20's were spent with five mates and five of these modulars around a skate park built inside a vacant furniture factory that we rented for $200 a week

>> No.1956493

Do I need planning permission in the UK to put a shipping container in my garden?

>> No.1956501

>>1956486
>burying containers is a big maymay here
Isn't that for underground bunkers and shit, though? I'd just be building a hill around mine, no more than a couple of inches of dirt on the top.

>> No.1957067

>>1956493
you'd have to check your local council. generally, unless you are in 3rd world country, they aren't going to want a shipping contain in the suburbs or city for more than a week WITH a permit

>> No.1957069

>>1956488
thanks anon! i requested a quote. hope they are fairly priced...i looked into another site a week or 2 ago that did the same thing, but they wanted $9700 + GST for a 20ft donga

>> No.1957350

>>1957069
Not him but grays have 2nd hand portable buildings all the time.

Here's one as an example.
https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-7028824/hire-plant-trans-bldgs-and-containers/granny-flat-or-live-in-complex

>> No.1957353

>>1957350
I didnt think grays sold demountables..pretty cool, will look into it. thanks anon!

>> No.1957355

>>1948134
The fridge will stay cold overnight unless you keep opening it. The fridge should be insulated well, like an Esky. So watch out if the rubber seal comes loose.

You'll be surprised how much water you need. Hope you budget for a rainwater tank and somehow collecting the rain water.

How do you insulate these places? Surely you aren't hoping the aircon will be enough, especially at night when your solar is out. You will either die in summer bring cooked alive or become a frozen turkey in winter. Either way you have 6 mths to live in this.

>> No.1957358

>>1950985
Seriously, like €100 worth of 2*4's, 200 worth of rockwool and another 200 worth of tarred clapboards will get you a similar shaped box where your breath doesn't rain down on your head

>> No.1957364

>>1952229
Just get The Mouse House
https://www.tinyblox.com.au/tinyhomeplans.html

If you want an office space, get the 2 x 5m and get it seperate so you can keep your work away from home. Put your laundry in there too.

>> No.1957371

>>1957067
Thanks, I just checked and apparently because they are classified as a temporary structure I don't need permission. I just have to make sure it is "in keeping with the surroundings". Well my area is a total shit hole and if anything a nice shipping container is probably a step up from the dilapidated 1960s garages and rotting sheds

>> No.1957385
File: 223 KB, 1421x3193, 2020-11-20 11-49-08-00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thoughts on flat pack containers?

>> No.1957548
File: 399 KB, 612x497, 1514546493460.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1957385

>> No.1957555

>>1950538
I saw these sisters do that in the show Texas Flip and Move. It looked pretty comfy for a single person.

>> No.1957776

>>1957364
these are actually really expensive. they were nice enough to break down the charges, and a lot of it can be easily DIYd. for example, they want atleast 3k for the electrical, which although illegal to do yourself unlicensed, if you are living off-grid it doesnt really matter. Most people here can terminate some power points and run mains cable easily.

>> No.1958596

>>1948522
Someone will always jump into these threads manstruating about them so I'm proactive.

I have six acres and my dogs shit disintegrates over time. Not everyone lives in the burbs with a postage stamp lawn.

>>1948700
Walls are easily damaged in storm surges so if you're silly enough to live in a storm surge zone use steel piers instead. I would anyway for convenience, strength and ability to do the metalwork myself. Wood is fucking trash. Metal is love. Use steel trusses and a modern metal roof. How strong is up to you but I'd weld my own trusses for something that small and have minimum eaves because storms tear those off. (In my case I'd insulate INSIDE the High Cube so storms don't tear off the roof.)
Build a separate shop. Living over one is stupid. Shops should be separate for fire reasons and stairs kill and cripple old people so unless you insist on planning badly by living in a storm surge area build at ground level for practicality. That also means making everything wonderfully handicap accessible because your youth will be gone in the blink of an eye.
Your shop should be easily expandable so look into Steelmaster container covers which integrate containers as strong sidewalls and gasketed storage space. My Steelmaster is separate from my container shop but if I wanted even more space I'd go that route.
Fill is usually affordable so if you consider low property also consider ordering fill to build on a turtleback. Railroad gravel is awesome (I used it for fill beneath my Steelmaster's slab). You can use concrete piers (check out Sonotube) too.
Price containers to see if three 53s is a better deal than four 40' HC. You want High Cube containers in either case. You don't need a roofover immediately, just weld the corner fittings together then shear a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" steel into 2" wide strips. Weld that to bridge between the sides of the container. I used a suitcase feeder and FCAW wire with the power source inside the shell.

>> No.1958609

>>1949284
Steel is quite reasonable. The personnel door I just framed cost $110 for the 2-1/2" angle. A major reason to use containers is storm resistance and you live in Florida. If you want cheap housing buy a trailer.
If you have to contract everything because you're helpless then they may not be for you.
Stop wanting cranes and childish shit. If you need it elevated bring in a few truckloads of fill and rent the equipment. You'd get a more convenient arrangement and unlike crane rental you own the fill forever.
You can lift containers yourself with jacks, dunnage (wooden, steel, whatever works) and patience. I did but only needed a couple of feet to get two of mine onto steel beams I use as a welded foundation.
Used steel is very nice to have so learn where it may be bought and collect it.
The cost to remove the interior walls is your time and a few tools. Plasma cutters work great but so does an OA torch with a 00 tip. Have a recip saw and a six inch angle grinder with cutting discs (no 4-1/2" babby grinders need apply).
My High Cubes don't have low ceilings because I'm not stupid.
Everyone who has not personally built with containers should recuse themselves.
>>1953399
My oldest open 5200 seal is over 20 years old with zero UV deterioration. It's a permanent repair in the marine industry and weather resistance is featured in the literature. If worried you can buy 4000 UV compound instead.

>> No.1958611

>>1957385
Inferior strength. Niche use case. Those are NOT sea freight containers, they're garden shed tier boxes and decent for that but real containers are rated to 180MPH wind (typhoons can fuck up cargo) before deformation.

>> No.1958668

>>1958611
Is ANYONE here using them to protect cargo at sea though? I mean, really anon.

>> No.1958862

>>1948511
Why do steel animal cages inside of a steel shell need to be grounded?

>> No.1958888

>>1957776
You deserve better than a shipping container anon. Tell them you gotta mate that is an electrician and knock off at least that 3k. Furthermore you can do your own kitchen. You'll have insulation, and nice windows without having to wreck the integrity of a container. No need to have exposed wiring or having to hide them.

Then you've got a tidy little place that will impress your guest ladies.

Shipping container homes sound too good to be true, because it is.

>> No.1958891

>>1958668
You clearly don't get the reason to use them for storm resistance. Those of us who live where hurricanes happen do get that. If you need a cheap shed for YOUR use case then you should build what suits that use case.
It's hard for people to understand there is no one construction method that's always best.
Now consider those flat pack boxes and what they're for, which is cheap (by industrial standards) shelter with LOW SHIPPING COST because they are shipped disassembled. Does a home gamer have the slightest need to do more work (the assembly and sealing of panels if you want it thoroughly weatherproof) at greater cost vs a used container of appropriate grade?
Containers are specific answers to logistics and storage questions.
The flat pack thing has no advantage other than convenient shipping so precisely why would you consider one?
Standard ISO spec containers are far stronger because their seams are welded. No work is required to use them immediately. We normally place them on landscape ties beneath the corner fittings. Those flatpack things in picrel are not designed for heavy loads while a shipping container offers an instant structure with a strong, level floor suited to machinery. Flatpack boxes don't have the strength to support the internal tiedown loops standard on shipping containers. Those are outstanding for hanging heavy items like loaded shelving which is how I use mine.

>> No.1958894

>>1958862
They don't and somebody is autismal UNLESS you have some shitty electrical system with dangling dangerous cords going to each, which is silly since it's so easy to do better.

>> No.1958925

>>1950016
If you have money to pay weldors you don't necessarily need a container house and can have them fab something completely custom without any need to exploit containers. Sea Box and other industrial container fabricators can build you some epic container structures if you have the cash and a reason to want that size modules. They're a niche case even more than ordinary container structures and no one reading this will ever order one but the site has interesting ideas you can copy.

DIYers are well served by a ~180 amp minimum MIG outfit but bigger is always better since ya can't select amps you don't have. If joining two containers the easy way is own or rent a suitcase feeder and engine-driven welder (Ranger, Bobcat etc but you may want to own one as a generator, study your options), grounding to the shell and having a hot lead reaching anywhere which is how I do it. Your practice on your container workshop (you can't lose by doing a shop first no matter what else you build) will help you learn what suits your use case.

>> No.1958930

>>1950083
Insurance doesn't give you a place to live or replace all your stuff unless you spent heavily on the policy. Insurance won't conveniently replace my classic motorcycle collection and doesn't protect it from humidity. Its one trip HC I can ride through is ideal protection for that. Having had to fix machinery stored in lesser conditions I'll save far more than what the little container cost in not dealing with environmental damage.

I do like trailers for their use case and those they suit should buy one.

Containers ONLY suit hardcore DIYers already into metal fab. I don't have a problem using containers and already have four but most people should just go with the default and the mobile home is the most successful invention in affordable housing in modern history.

Poorfags should do what other poorfags do and buy trailers on the usual high interest terms or rent in some shithole motel until methdeath removes them from society. Poorfags are poor because they're deeply defective and do not deserve housing or success, only more misery for choosing to be degenerate.

>> No.1958934

>>1951228
Depends on YOUR local situation and no one else's matters so find out. In my area zoned ag they do not raise taxes but my area doesn't matter to your situation.

>> No.1958951

>>1958930
I am cursing you with poverty. Within one year, you will be poor. First you will losr your health, then your job, and finally your life.

>> No.1958970

>>1958951
My adult life of adulting adultishly ensures I'm comfortably retired a need no job so I lead a life of comfy fun and leisure. Everyone dies but I've relinquished fear of death because that's what adults do. I adultishly prepared for adversity in all ways because preparation is as free as thought. My imitation crab meat is secure. Is yours?

I learned the magic secret early on.
Don't be a faggot.

>> No.1959120

>>1948128

how many gook sweatshop workers can i fit in a 40 footer?

>> No.1959252

>>1959120
Depends on what breed of gook. Vietnamese are the smallest. You can fit 78 of them in a container that size.

>> No.1959318

>>1959252
I need them alive though...

>> No.1959326
File: 119 KB, 266x177, Screenshot_2018-10-04 A Flat-pack store, Expandastore(13).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why the feck are these mini ones so expensive?

>> No.1959855

>>1957353
No worries.

>> No.1959863
File: 143 KB, 1024x680, 1024px-Tardis_BBC_Television_Center.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1959326
>Why the feck are these mini ones so expensive?

Because they have to start with a big one and then compress the exterior. Dimensional recuction transducers are still pretty dear on this planet, anon. But it's worth it to get your own TARDIS.

>> No.1959910

>>1948770
I don't get it, here shipping container buildings are extremely common for stuff that needs to be moved, so things like construction offices, hygiene and social rooms on constructions sites, temporary security offices, ticket offices for large events/festivals, things like that.

They work perfectly fine despite being moved around and are reasonably inexpensive even being converted by specialized companies. Why wouldn't they work as DIY?

>> No.1960341
File: 190 KB, 1000x750, Custom-manufactured-stilt-homes-and-modular-stilt-homes-2018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1958596
>>1958609
Thanks for the advice anon.

I have some metal and welding experience and i also work in construction. I gutted and remodeled my current place from bare studs and replaced everything. Wiring, plumbing, drywall, trim is not a big deal to me assuming I am allowed to do it myself here in FL. If not I can ask some favors.

Concrete and masonry i have zero experience in though. I can manage the block walls, but the concrete slab and tie beams i would probably have to farm out.

As far as the shop goes, it would end up being an attached air conditioned garage and storage space. Shop space only temporarily to hold me over until i could build a 40x60 shop. I figured the cost to add 5-6 feet to the foundation and increase the square footage by 100% would be minimal since I have to build the container house with a crawl space anyway. Also, i am jelly of my cousins up north with basements. I also think 2 story houses are cool, could be because almost every house here is single story.

One question i have is foundation support points. Does a 40' container need support in the middle or only the 4 corners? What about a 53'?

>> No.1960475

>>1959910
Because they still take a fair amount if money to make liveable. And not only that, these containers will degrade after 10-15 years. They are not meant to live in.

>> No.1960479

>>1960341
Slipform stone masory can be done by anyone. I'd say renovating a shipping container would be just as equally challenging for a builder.

>> No.1962748
File: 1.89 MB, 2000x1500, container.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1950538
that's a good idea

what do you guys think of ultimate shipping container idea with wooden entry terrace conjuring all of the units toghether/

39m2 - living room + kitchen compartment
26m2 - master bedroom with wardrobe or two bedrooms
13m2 - toilet separated from the living areas of the house

>> No.1963526

>>1962748
Depends on climate? Would the single one sticking out be colder than the others? Is it correct that the closer the structure is to a sphere with heating in the middle, the more efficient it is to heat? Or is the heat loss for an outlier like this negligible with good insulation?

>> No.1964083
File: 118 KB, 816x612, Drywall Back Scored.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1950538
>how hard could it be to insulate and drywall a cylinder?
Incredibly fucking simple actually, it's just very labor intensive. All you have to do is score the back side at equidistant 1-2 inch increments, and roll it carefully without tearing the paper on the front side.