[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 8 KB, 263x192, download (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1937439 No.1937439 [Reply] [Original]

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but I need advice and ideas from people who are handy.

My situation is this, I live in a tiny house and recently became disabled and will have to use a wheelchair a lot to get around.

What I am looking for is to replace my furniture with new furniture that provides either convenience (for example combining two pieces of furniture into one) or furniture that can just save space.

Ideally I'd like to start in the bedroom and then the bathroom and then work my way to other rooms which are less used and bigger.

Picture related. It's an ottoman bed that is both smaller than the one I have and the mattress can be lifted up for storage space where I could out other stuff to make even more space for a wheelchair.

>> No.1937562

>>1937439
tiny houses are generally not to code for wheelchair access, good luck crawling all over your cuck shed because you skirted building code

>> No.1937572

You can shit and piss is the shower to save space for a toilerpt, just stomp the shit down the drain.

>> No.1937574

>>1937572
... you can get tables that hing on the wall and can fold up.

>> No.1937575

>>1937574
And since you have a wheelchair you won’t need a sofa or any other chairs right?

>> No.1937578

>>1937562
don't think OP means "tiny house" in the cuckshed style. Most likely a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom home.
>>1937439
Move your stuff to the larger rooms to free up space in the bedroom and bathroom. Plus look at a small home-use chair rather than the larger general purpose ones.
As for the bathroom, get a good carpenter to install hand bars for the tub and shitter, you are gonna need them. And not those shitty towel rack ones, the ones that go into the studs and can hold up a persons weight.

>> No.1937628

>>1937578

It's a 3 bedroom house. I just live in the UK so houses here are smaller.

I don't have exact measurements for the house either but the upstairs hallway is just about 3ft wide. That is the kind of tiny I'm talking about.

Anyway, my plans so far are a single ottoman bed, this gives me about 1ft 6 inches X 6 foot of extra room and I can store some stuff in it that'll open up maybe 2ftx3ft of room.
The I'm going to get a computer desk that is smaller than mine, but taller. I think mine is around 160cmx80cm in size. The one I'm looking at is about 100cmx100cm. That gets me an extra bit of room but not a whole lot.
I've also got a chest of drawers that is about 120cmx45cm. I'll replace this with a set that is smaller but taller. Aiming for something around 90cmx35-40cm but with an extra drawer or two. Again it's not a huge increase in space but every little really does help.

For the bathroom the plan at the moment is to get some kind of kids toilet seat so I don't fall into the toilet when I sit.
I'm also going to see if it's possible to flip the door so it opens outwards instead of inwards.
Other than this I'm going to see about getting handles attached around the bath/shower, sink and toilet.
There still won't be enough room in the bathroom for a wheelchair but I should be able to hop on crutches if I can get close enough and can get sturdy enough handles to hold onto and lift myself up and down.

I've also got a smaller wheelchair ordered. The one I got right now is fairly small but it could easily be 5-6 inches thinner and I'd still be able to sit comfortably in it.

>> No.1937632
File: 2.59 MB, 4032x3024, A75E9E9E-1FFA-470C-A45B-2C7B603F6ABB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1937439
I recently remodeled a bathroom because it was so small. I did a curbless shower, and a tiny sink. I’m very happy with the result.

>> No.1937635
File: 2.24 MB, 4032x3024, 6AF38BF1-5D95-4FFE-8E6C-59D1C46C1FDB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1937632
Here’s the sink.

>> No.1937647

>>1937635

My bathroom is about the same size as yours, maybe a bit bigger. As a rough estimate it's maybe 6ftx6ft in size but a good chunk of it is taken up by the bath.

>> No.1938398

>>1937647
This one is 4 x 8. Before the remod, the door was 24” because the sink base was also almost 24”
This sink only takes about 10” and the door is now 30”

>> No.1938692

I don't see how becoming disabled (what happened bro?) relates to using ""smart"" furniture.

>> No.1938733

>>1937572
He probably can't use his legs retard. He is going to have to smash it in with his fists.

>> No.1938763

>>1937439
Hey OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. In order to answer your question in a useful way instead of shooting in the dark, I think we need a list of what you have, what you need, and what you want. Do you, for instance, need a dedicated workspace for office-related things? What hobbies do you have that you do at your place? And so on.

>> No.1938851

>>1938733
This is DIY, surely someone will offer up designs for a shit stomping machine.

>> No.1940730

>>1938851
Blast it with piss.

>> No.1940745

>>1937439
if you have a bathtub, turn it into a wetroom might be easier for you, also if you disabled not sure if the council will help you with certain things if its a council house.

>> No.1940753
File: 563 KB, 599x621, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1940730
the piss is probably in a bag he also has to empty

>>1937628
>upstairs
pic related

>> No.1940764

>>1938733
Or he could, I don't know... roll over it? He has wheels bro.

>> No.1942597

>>1937439
This thread got me thinking, what would be the absolute minimum that a human being could live comfortably with if they forgot about convention? I mean it would be quite possible to have a shower with a big drain to wash, piss and shit in, and a bed to sleep and watch tv in etc. What about a kitchen? Most things there are essential I guess combo fridge /freezer dishwasher, microwave/oven/grill, and washer dryer?

>> No.1943607

>>1937575
Worse, he will have to add wheels to all if his chairs or be thrown in jail

>> No.1945088
File: 13 KB, 500x500, hospital-patient-food-table-500x500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1937439
Get yourself a patient table on wheels. We have one that we use daily. Great for working in the garage as well. Adjustable height. Easy to move. Make sure the wheels will be able to fit under your chair. You may need a u shape base.

>> No.1945753
File: 90 KB, 900x900, 11126C95-79B7-4E29-B6D2-45942CD224E8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1937439
Ditch the furniture and install a wheelchair sized hotwheel track. You don’t need any chairs or a couch or a bed, and you can just use a tray in your lap for eating. Either that or ditch the wheelchair and install monkey bars throughout the house and work on upperbody strength. Either one works.

>> No.1945758

What happenned?

>> No.1946327

>>1940764
had a laugh

then leave skidmarks all over?

>> No.1946356

>>1937572
It's called a waffle stomp you plebian

>> No.1946359

>>1937628
Okay. If moving to a more suitable home isn't an option then yeah you've got some challenges to overcome, particularly with the layout of an older home. Not much you can do about the hallway width, that's just gonna suck, sorry bud.

The ottoman style bed isn't a terrible idea, but it only gets you so far. Your real challenge is that the size of your home is fixed, which means that you can't just eliminate vertical storage in favor of horizontal storage. I once knew a guy that that had a sailboat. This sailboat had a lot of odd little nook's and crannies that were basically just dead space. You didn't want to put anything in to them because you just couldn't ever retrieve it without disassembling half the boat. In one of these crannies, he built a kind of a rotating shelf out of an old barrel. It was kind of like a lazy susan turned onto its side. He would use a pulley and chain to rotate it, and that fixed his problem. You might be able to do something similar with a rotating shelf. Just a thought. You might also be able to get away with just having a shelf that you can raise on a track to be out of the way most of the time.

>> No.1946459

>>1946359
You can also sell or discard everything you don't actually need to reduce maintenance and wasted space. Other than clothing and food storage most storage is not necessary. Photos can be scanned and more easily viewed on computer. Bric-a-brac and decorations are burdens and when I get disabled I'll just shitcan or give away everything not utilitarian.

>> No.1947030
File: 51 KB, 1000x1186, swivel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1938692

Didn't think this thread would still be up but I'm simply looking to make more room. I either got to use crutches or a wheelchair to move around, and both require more room than just walking does.
Also since I only have one leg my balance is all over the place. If I fall I'd rather fall to the floor instead of smashing my head on the corner of something.

Anyway, so far I've got a single ottoman bed and have stashed a load of junk in it. This has made a lot more room, feels like the room is twice the size it use to be.

Next I'm buying a table and some boxes of some sort. I was going to get a set of drawers but the bed is slightly longer than I expected and I cannot open by bottom two drawers anymore. So I'll use the table to put stuff on and the boxes will go underneith it and that is where I'll put my clothes.

After that I'll probaly get this computer desk
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/micke-desk-white-s09903014/
Mine is 135x65cm, so this one gets me a decent bit of room but doesn't cause me to loose too much desk space thanks to the shelves on top it has.

Then I'm going to get a recliner and swivel table because it'll be useful to have this extra desk space and sitting with only half an ass on a normal computer chair is not comfortable at all.

For the bathroom the plan is to get some rails for the toilet that attach to the toilet it's self. The ones I'm eying are adjustable but pretty small.

Still looking for a solution to getting into/out of the bathtub that wont get in the way. At the moment to wash I'm using a perching stool and the sink. But even that is so big when it's not in use it has to be stored in my room.

For people asking what happened. A mixture of cancer and the NHS fucking up caused me to lose my entire right leg, including half the pelvis. I'm in the process of suing them right now, so if I get enough maybe I will just buy a big enough house.

>> No.1947046

>>1947030
Sorry to hear about your situation mate.

Try to have a look at a bungalow, if your hopuse is like mine its shite for disabled people,
If you can get some money get a person to sort out the kitchen for you. Lower units, sink etc.
I would also look at getting a wash room or at least get a standalone showever unit.

>> No.1947054

>>1947046

If I do get the money then yeah, a bungalow would be ideal.

As for making major modifications to the house, that's not really on the table for now. Partly because I don't have the money for it but I also live here with other people. It doesn't make sense to lower things down to my level while in a wheelchair which would be fine for me but inconvenient for everyone else.

>> No.1947083

>>1938851
The auto waffle-stomper 3000.