[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 56 KB, 640x480, GStringBracelet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
189442 No.189442 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ers

I'm making a guitar string bracelet for the girlypal and finding myself without a soldering gun

Would you fine people have any idea as to how i could connect/ seal the ends together without the use of a gun? so far ive braided/ wrapped it around itself so its just a slip on bracelet, but theyres still the sharp ends of the strings that i would prefer to not just tuck in.

any tips/tricks/input welcome!
Thanks in advance * pic somewhat related

>> No.189445

> any tips/tricks/input welcome!

Have you confirmed that such bracelet would actually please the mentioned "girlypal"?

>> No.189450

>>189445
yea shes a rock n roller

gunna be so cash
i put her name on a guitar pick ill clip on too

>> No.189457
File: 10 KB, 300x300, ronson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You could use a torch-type lighter to heat the piece, and then apply solder directly to it.

>> No.189458

>>189450

Ok, fine.

You don't really need a soldering gun for such soldering work. You can use blowtorch to heat it.

>> No.189459

>>189457
this. Zippo + solder + pliers so yer not holding a piece of metal that's in an open flame.

>> No.189460

>>189457
Would this work with like plastic too?
Or any alternatives to solder?

I'm not OP but gonna snag this idea.

>> No.189467

great help so far

thanks guys if anyone else has any recommendations idd love to hear them

>> No.189472
File: 50 KB, 282x362, Untitled-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

im monitoring this thread

#raymondhasnoswag

>> No.189473

this is dope as shit
how did you braid the guitar strings without them shooting out all over the place

>> No.189474
File: 29 KB, 450x447, d_41.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Know any fishing friends? Steel leader crimper would work...

>> No.189475

>>189473
theyre not super tight, but i did a standard 3 string braid (i think its called)
and then with a long braided peice, i wrapped it around itself 3 times to make one thick band.
Looks really good imo, its just the endings im gonna try to fix now with the solder/ lighter trick
(OR ANY OTHER TRICKS THAT ARE POSTED AFTER THIS PLEASE KEEP POSTING IDEAS I WANT THIS TO TURN OUT NICE)

>> No.189477

>>189460
If you're working with metal, solder is the way to go. Unless you want to braze it, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.
Plastic will only burn in the flame of the torch. If you want a plastic-like substance, use JB-weld, Marine-tex, or another type of resin.

>> No.189478

>>189474
this is genious actually, but the band it pretty thick now (think 9 guitar strings wrapped together)

>> No.189480

crimp would be mechanically stronger, but it doesn't really matter i guess if its braided as you say. might look a bit better than a glob of solder unless your planning to cover it anyway.
Don't know how well soldering a string will go, since they are layers all wrapped up, might fuck it up a bit i don't really know

>> No.189545

>>189442
You might want to coat the finished product in some sort of clear epoxy or hard acrylic or other hard, clear coating, so that skin and/or hair doesn't get caught up in the strings.

Also:
>girlypal
..dude, don't say "girlypal", it makes you sound like a Nancy-boy or something. If you're not banging her, then find some other term to refer to her.

>> No.190803 [DELETED] 
File: 1.06 MB, 3264x1952, IMAG0346.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

BUMPING FROM HELL to show you guys one of the guitar string bracelets I made my girlfriend a year ago. The clasp is magnetic, and it is about the same size as the ball guitar string ball ends that I used as beads (I'm a professional Luther, so I have access to a ton of discarded strings from which to take the ball ends). The single solder joint is very clean and fine, and its hidden inside one of the ball end beads (see if you can find it). I made a shit ton of these last year, but this is the only one I could find lying around. One was real pretty; I used a brand new 80/20 bronze g string with silver ball ends, but I'm not sure what happened to it.

>> No.190805
File: 1.02 MB, 3264x1952, IMAG0348.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

BUMPING FROM HELL to show you guys one of the guitar string bracelets I made my girlfriend a year ago. The clasp is magnetic, and it is about the same size as the ball guitar string ball ends that I used as beads (I'm a professional Luther, so I have access to a ton of discarded strings from which to take the ball ends). The single solder joint is very clean and fine, and its hidden inside one of the ball end beads (see if you can find it). I made a shit ton of these last year, but this is the only one I could find lying around. One was real pretty; I used a brand new 80/20 bronze g string with silver ball ends, but I'm not sure what happened to it.