[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 816 KB, 528x555, 4CD0E68C-14E1-4FCA-A2B0-039EB797941E.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1883511 No.1883511 [Reply] [Original]

FIL wants to build a deck on the back of his trailer, I’m cool to help with this because I’ve built several. However the back of his trailer is on a small hill—- should we be worried about digging holes so near the foundation? Anything to be extra careful about working on an incline?

>> No.1884546

Never had an issue and can't see any problem unless the trailer is on something that is already
crumbling apart. As far as the incline goes just dig your support leg holes a little deeper than normal.
When we did my dad's deck, (massive decline going back from the house), we set the posts three
feet into the ground, (measured from the low side), and never really had any issues.
Pretty sure I read a 3:1 decline 2 feet deep is fine, but any steeper go 3 feet deep unless it's using
6x6's and two stories high then go even deeper.

>> No.1884635

>>1883511
I mean, unless this small hill is really steep, I don't know why you'd have to worry about that.