[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 28 KB, 413x310, overuse-of-heart-treatment.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
185303 No.185303 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, Anyone have an resources or tips for learning medicine at home?? I don't plan on becoming a back-alley abortionist or anything, just have an interest and can't find where to start!

>> No.185304

go through your bathroom cupboard and try one random pill a day. wait and observe.

>> No.185317

this is the one thing I don't recommend /diy/ing. Doctors spend 6 years in training for a reason.

>> No.185325

Your best bet would be to check into some of the survivalist shit out there. You know how to reset a broken bone, how to sew your big toe back on after you cleave it off with an axe..things like that.

Most of the survivalist shit is designed to be done by an amateur with limited training and resources.

>> No.185332

>>185317
OP here. I'm not going to practice or even give medical advice, it just seems that medicine isn't presented to the public the same way most other fields are. There are physics and programming tutorials everywhere online, even chemistry has a lot of resources for beginners and advice on how to progress, but there doesn't seem to be a layout for studying medicine. Even the USMLE study guides base a lot of what they teach on prior knowledge, which I cant find structured resources for.

>> No.185352

>>185303
Get the latest PDR. Read it cover to cover.

>> No.185366

>>185317
You could say the same thing about engineers, and that shit's easy.

>> No.185370

>>185332
Well, uh, yeah.

>>The United States Medical Licensing Examination ® (USMLE®) is a three-step examination for medical licensure in the United States.

Take first aid classes, or some entry level nursing classes. Take a CPR class. The physicians-in-training have a lot of background in the field in the first place.

captcha: unclean vommita

>> No.185376
File: 36 KB, 221x246, 1297674853660.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First, graduate high school. Only the dumbest members of society can't graduate high school, and I wouldn't trust them to put a bandaid on their own boo-boo.

Second, get your CPR for healthcare workers card. Costs @ 60 USD for a one day class. Optional: First aid, lifesaving, lifeguard certs.

Third, sign up for an Emergency Medicine class at your local community college. Mine had a 40% pass rate for the class (that's including people taking it a second time) and a 80% pass rate for the national exam IIRC.

Congrats! You now understand basic medicine, the fundamental laws that cover its misuse, and have an itty bitty scope of practice that includes a whopping 8 medicines, none of them invasive!

Alternately, Medical Assistants have the same scope as EMTs, but are more geared toward the hospital environment rather than the field. IE, they walk a lot instead of drive and deal with more poop.

I do not recommend starting a full-on regimen of classes geared toward earning a nursing degree. First get your feet wet. See if you can handle being touched by strangers and touching strangers and body fluids and stress. If you wash out of the EMT class, which includes a small abbreviated anatomy section, you stand no chance of passing the class entirely dedicated to anatomy and physiology.

If your ass is too dumb to realize you need to understand human anatomy before medicine, the system will wash you out like its supposed to. If you pass, then great, you get to decide if its a career you want to pursue, or just something good to know.

>> No.185377

Look up these books I'm sure you could find them on the internet:

When there is no Doctor - David Wener
US Army DA PAM 40-11 - Preventive Medicine
US Army medical course - Wound Care MD0576
Bush Med Care Made Simple
First Aid (Multi-Service)(2002)
Auerbach, Paul S. - Wilderness Medicine (Fifth Edition)(2007)

>> No.185403

>>185376
what this guy said. I'm taking Anatomy & Physiology 2 at my local community college. Thank God I don't want to be a nurse or anything medical because not only is that class hard, but the nursing and emt programs are difficult to even get into. It is sad really, watching all these middle aged women try to better themselves to support their children...and they are failing.

>> No.185408

>>185366

But medicine isn't.

>> No.185413

>>185408
This.
Misinterpreting minor things in engineering results in an inefficient design.

Misinterpreting minor things in medicine results in funerals.

>> No.185421

>>185413
Nope. It's the minor things that cascade to fatalities. See every engineering failure ever.

>> No.185444

>>185421
I was referring to single seemingly small errors, but fair point.

>> No.185459
File: 70 KB, 594x446, deepwater_horizon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>185413
>Misinterpreting minor things in engineering results in an inefficient design.
>Misinterpreting minor things in medicine results in funerals.

Pic related.
I figure, so long as hobby engineers don't try to build oil rigs and hobby doctors don't try to do open-heart surgery, both are okay to try at home.

>> No.185462

>>185444
>>185421
From what I've studied of disaster theory, based on investigations of fatal accidents in the American workplace, it doesn't matter what field you're in, it is a chain of errors great and small by people great and small that end in death. Whether its a train derailment or collision at sea, the chain could have been broken at any point and no deaths would have occurred. The specific disciplines are not relevant because they overlap in a fatal disaster.

>> No.185538

>>185462
Engineers are in a special position though. They are the ones who have training, authority, and responsibility to not only make sure their own work has no fuck ups, but to oversee the people below them. You can't expect a welder to check over the calculations of a structural engineer and realize the bridge he's constructing is unsound. Furthermore if a welder fucks up the people responsible for hiring him and ensuring the quality of his work are partially responsible.

>> No.185540

>>185538
Welders arent engineers, and surgeons don't decide what they're doing. They're basically given "orders" like a restaurant and do the job as requested.

If it fucks up, it's on the doctors head more than the surgeons.

>> No.185584

>>185413
>Misinterpreting minor things in medicine results in funerals.
Pardon what may be a dumb question, but if it is a thing that, if misinterpreted will result in death, is that really minor?

>> No.185623

>>185376

This is excellent advice. I was going to suggest taking some nursing classes, but then realized that OP seems to just want to "know how" to do it, rather than make it a career. I strongly support this by the way. I find it amusing the misinformation that people have about general health and medicine.

I am a BSN grad, an RN and am considering informatics for my MSN, for the record. The issue with the practical application of most health care, is that if you are not using it currently, new data, new techniques, new equipment and new understanding will quickly erode your knowledge. I learn something new every single day on my progressive care unit.

TL:DR : Get some basic knowledge so you don't fuck yourself or family up, then try to keep your skill set fresh and updated somehow.

>> No.185717

"If it fucks up, it's on the doctors head more than the surgeons."

No.

I'm an engineer, partner is a surgeon. I can give you a list of texts that I have read, all sitting in my bookshelf as recommended by the significant other.

Specialities that don't involve surgery:
Medicine
ICU
Aesthetics

Specialities that involve surgery:
All the others.

"Doctors" are surgeons. Surgeons see patients from day 1, and decide on their own what is wrong with the patient and perform surgery.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, best bet is to go to the closest university that does Medicine and Surgery and go to the book shop. Look for the faculty written handbook for first years, that's the best place to start.

>> No.185719

>>185717

Truth. When we get surgical patients, the hospitalist doesn't even round on them.