[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 27 KB, 935x800, 41D325_AS01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1852262 No.1852262 [Reply] [Original]

how do you climb a ladder without shitting your pants? past like 8 feet I feel like I'm going to fall off at any second and am very nervous. I can't even go above 20 feet. Tried going on roofs several times and had major panic attacks. Starting to think pussies like me weren't meant to use ladders. It's so tiresome having to avoid jobs that involve big ladders

>> No.1852268

it's because you haven't been touched by a woman in a very long time

>> No.1852271

>>1852262
Shaking knees cause the ladder to find better grip on the ground just saying.

>> No.1852273

>>1852262
You're afraid of heights. What else can be said? You can either face that fear and work up high until you get used to it, or you can be afraid until you die. You must also be rather terrified of death.
>>1852268
I laughed and it was good

>> No.1852275

>>1852262
Put simply. I fucking don't. I fell about 8 feet. Shattered my heel and ankle and at the time was average or maybe slightly above average weight. Wasn't the fat sedentary fuck that i am now.

Got a metal plate and 8 screws zigzagging through my bone to about a 1/16" from poking out the other side. My shit was so fucked up they couldn't put a cast on because it was swollen up so bad and it would have to stay on so long it would so a number of bad shit. So the dock told me to wrap it up like he did and keep it that way. And "pretend" i have a cast on.

I was laid up on my mother-in-law's couch for over a year crutching into job interviews after driving with my right leg out the window and using my left foot.

300s credit score

6 figure medical debt.

Took me about 11 years to get caught back up and break 700 credit score

Fuck ladders and fuck it all unless you have fall protection. Most harnesses have a 3 foot lead and a switched together 3 or 4 feet after so it breaks and slows you down. I might have hit the ground but it wouldn't have broken me for life.

Yes I'm a dipshit. No i aint suing anyone. Yes murica freedomland is a mutherfucking joke. No insurance.

But i went from being a hard working proud bluecollar american to a useless sack of shit in less than a second.

Don't be me.

Don't get fucked up for life

>> No.1852282

For extension ladders, tie the halyard so the top portion doesn't slip, and if you can brace the bottom footing with a 2x4, that's great.

As for working off ladders? It sucks but it's part of the job.

>> No.1852284

>>1852275
If you fell off on the job you are entitled to compensation.

>> No.1852287

>>1852273
I've been in boom lifts many times and am not bothered by them. The biggest was an 80 foot one, went about 65 feet with it. It's just on ladders I feel I'm at the mercy of myself, and I'm clumsy in general. I have 0 faith that I will not fuck up and somehow fall. There is no safety on a ladder like there is in a lift. It feels like torture. And yes, I am very afraid of death.

>> No.1852290

>>1852282
>, tie the halyard so the top portion doesn't slip,

bullshit. you don't have to tie anything on an extension ladder. show an image if you think you do.

As for OP, you sound like a lost cause; some people simply cannot function at any height. However, I was nervous at first, but I learned this: If a ladder N feet tall scares you, force yourself to climb a ladder N+4 feet tall. It might take a time or two, but eventually the ladder N feet tall will seem normal. Repeat until that 40 foot ladder no longer keeps you awake the night before you know you have to climb it. Good luck, and don't be hard on yourself if you have to accept reality and do some other sort of work.

>> No.1852293

Just remind yourself that your grip is strong and the ladder is secure... and focus on what’s in front of you and not the ground.

>> No.1852307

>>1852262
Use scaffolding instead. They take like 10-15 minutes to set up.

>> No.1852310

>>1852290
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ofiaY3Gzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLbXufhzhI

It's just a clove hitch.

>> No.1852313

>>1852310

I repeat: bullshit, no matter how many "authorities" make videos. The proper use of that rope is to loop it around the bottom rung back up to where it is attached to the upper part of the ladder, and tie it so that there is a continuous loop. Two advantages: you don't have to go reaching for the rope because it's always right there, and secondly it won't be dangling around loose for some moron to get tangled in if they have to walk behind your ladder.

I've been doing this for 25 years, and you and all the firefighters in the world won't convince me, any more than I can convince you or them. To each his own, and have a nice day. (At least we both agree that the rope is needed. Too many macho shitheads remove it because they are retarded, and do difficult and dangerous things to raise the ladder).

>> No.1852317

>>1852287
What kind of extension ladder are you using? I've been on some flimsy super sketchy ones that wobble around if I move even a small muscle group. And I've been on others that were heavy and a pain to move, but once they are in place and the feet firmly planted, you can basically dance on the ladder and it doesn't move.
I once worked under an older guy doing maintenance and he refused to climb any ladder unless there was someone below stabilizing it for him.
I don't think most construction sites wouldn't tolerate that use of labor though. What do you do for work?

>> No.1852323

>>1852317
Aluminum ladders. I do painting.

>> No.1852329

>>1852262
Did 3 years as a house painter, regularly worked on 40 foot extension ladders which cured me of my fear of heights right quick.

Main thing is don't work on a shaky rickety ladder, make sure you have proper kick-out angle away from the building on a solid base.
If you're on grass or soil, drive some stakes into the ground at the feet of the ladder to keep it from sliding out.

Never, ever, NEVER tie yourself to a ladder. Better to take a fall than to be cut in half by a shitty rope ripping through your guts.

Those cheap 20 foot aluminum ladders at the home stores are TRASH, don't use them.

>> No.1852335

>>1852323
I assumed aluminum, anon. The days of steel and wooden ladders are essentially over for daily trade work or at least, I never see them at job sites.
What i mean is, are you using a heavy duty aluminum ladder or an ultra light flimsy pos? I don't mind the flimsy ones myself. I think they are kind of fun, but I'm also not worried about dying and trust my reflexes and ability to respond to potentially life threatening situations.

>> No.1852340

>>1852335
>The days of steel and wooden ladders are essentially over for daily trade work or at least, I never see them at job sites.

I've seen electricians use wood ladders, newer looking too, so must be some company out there still making them.

>> No.1852346

>>1852275
Fat fuck had no place on a ladder. People get hit by cars everyday.

Also, blatant lie, as workmans comp wouldve taken care of you.

>> No.1852348

>>1852313
This faggot thinks ladders are only ever used on nice flat ground, in perfect conditions.

>> No.1852357

>>1852335
all are 250 lbs. limit I believe
the 32 ft one is pretty wobbly

>> No.1852380

>>1852262
Get a ladder appropriate to your industry. Fiberglass is heavier than aluminum but more stable. Get professional training on one. Your boss probably isnt competent to give it.

Get options for your industry. Are you almost always on flat buildings? They sell flat bars that go on the top to stabilize it. Do you work on corners of buildings? They sell corner braces too. If you work on square or rounds poles, they sell braces for that, and if you can get a rope or strap around it you can get a strap for that that makes it absolutely rock solid, and you can tie yourself onto the ladder then. If you work with something strong enough at height you can tie your ladder or yourself to securely, you can tie on to that too.

If you're tying off, you need a ladder harness or body belt and a fancy strap.

If you're working in the same spot for an hour+ you can get a ladder platform to stand on. It goes across two rounds and gives you like a 2 sq ft platform to stand or sit on.
If your ladder is ever not on level ground, get a ladder with a set of self levelling feet, and rotating pads or spikes. You put the spikes out on dirt. On cement you put the rubber pads down.

Important points remember from training,
Don't climb higher than the ladder supports. Carry the ladder so you wont kill yourself. Throw the ladder and get away from it if you're gonna drop it. If you try to stop it, you'll just have one extra injury. If the ladder isnt secured, dont stretch to reach anything at all. If it is secured and you're belted off, you can stretch so the centerline if your chest comes up to the rail of the ladder you're stretching over. If you are going up the ladder with more tools than you can carry on your belt, you need a rope and a tool bucket. Pull bucket up to your working height once you get there. Dont tie the rope to your belt. Just tuck it through a loop so if some thing comes and pulls on it, it will pull out instead of ripping you off the ladder.

>> No.1852382

>>1852380
Test for high voltage if you're near anything that could be reasonably become energized. City and commercial lights are routinely wired by criminals trying to kill people that arent part of their crew, so always assume the chassis is hot with 240v

>> No.1852539

>>1852262
just shit before you climb the ladder, idiot.

>> No.1852666
File: 1.05 MB, 1772x3708, toweranon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1852262
Like Deadpool suggested, wear brown pants.
>Ya get used to it after a while

t.toweranon

>> No.1852669
File: 74 KB, 605x1024, rape game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1852275
>reddit spacing
good

>> No.1852864

>>1852666
how high is that

>> No.1852908

>>1852262
First of all you aren't a pussy - Our bodies come hard wired with certain fears. Fear of falling is one of them. If we didn't have it, we wouldn't have survived living in the trees. A monkey that doesn't fear falling is a dead monkey.

Exposure is a good way to handle it. The more exposure you get, the safer you get. I'd suggest rock climbing gym. It's extremely safe, and you'll get to deal with your fear of heights in a controlled environment. Be gentle with yourself too - you are fighting a primal fear, one that exists in the medula. It takes time and practice, over and over, to further train it.

Ignore people who give you shit. Everyone has these valleys to cross, and what bothers you won't bother someone else. The people giving you shit have their own things that make them crap themselves - even if they don't know what they are yet. I get vertigo from about 8 to 20 feet up. I just focus on the next rung, and keeping my breathing consistent. I have a much harder time going down, especially the part where you throw your leg out over with one leg still on the roof.

Maybe invest in one of those super heavy duty folding ladders. I find that they feel much more secure, and I'm way less worried about falling off.

>>1852293
>Just remind yourself that your grip is strong and the ladder is secure... and focus on what’s in front of you and not the ground.

>> No.1852927

>>1852313
>SHOW AN IMAGE
>*posts video with firefighters*
>YEAH FUCK YOU YOURE WRONG ASSHOLE
Never change 4chan.

>> No.1852928

>>1852346
I guess I missed the part part where anon said he was at work dipshit.

>> No.1852933

>>1852927
Phone company here. Our trainers say its bullshit. The rope isnt holding your ladder up there any better than the metal dogs. We only tie the rope up to keep it out of the way and you can do any bullshit knot you want.

>> No.1852963

>>1852275
I feel sorry for you dude, I know that doesn't help you, but there's another person on the other side of the world that cares about you. I hope you can recover eventually. Try a magnetic pulser. Electric medicine. Something different. Sound frequencies. Research food for bone health. Good luck m8

>> No.1853080

>>1852262
your ladder may not be strong enough. If the ladder wiggles and bows it's a shit ladder and you have every right to not want to climb it.

I won't climb a ladder that is not rock sturdy under me.

My brother did that and the ladder collapsed under him.

>> No.1853166

>>1852864
about 150ft

I should have brought a lawn chair and lunch.

>> No.1853212

>>1852275
on a bright site, people die from falling 8 feet or even less all the time. it doesn't take much.
>don't worry honey it is a quick job i will just push that loose siding right in place oh it is a bit too far from this angle no worries i'll reach.. *slip* *splat* *couple of weeks in a coma* *dead*

>> No.1853386

>>1852287
>And yes, I am very afraid of death.
Death smiles upon us all. All a man can do is smile back.

>> No.1853393
File: 45 KB, 400x300, treetrim2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1852262

>> No.1854112

>>1852262
>using ladders above 2m
no work sites allow that here, then its skylifts or full climbing gear and security harness. they still trigger my fear of heights but not anywhere as bad as ladders and they are much more safe.

>> No.1854230

>>1854112
what pussy ass country do you live in

>> No.1854475

I broke my back falling 5 feet off a ladder working in a theater. 5 feet is all it takes. I was lucky as fuck to not be paralyzed. But for going high up like onto roofs with an extension ladder make sure you're anchored first. Then make sure the footing is level and doesn't wobble at all. Ideally you would have someone foot the ladder for you while you climb, and is required if you're working off the ladder. But if you're on your own you can lay something heavy at the feet to feel a little more secure. I always require someone to foot ladders I'm on even if I'm only going up 2 or 3 rungs because that's all it takes to fuck yourself up if it collapses under you while working off ladder.

>> No.1854518

>>1852262
>It's so tiresome having to avoid jobs that involve big ladders
Seems like you did this to yourself.
>>1852666
That's completely different though. Give me proper safety gear and I would work on the tallest tower in the world.

>> No.1854533

>>1854112
>>1854230
most first world countries dont want you working off extension ladders. they are generally intended as a means to getting onto high spots like roofs. in canada, aside from a few exceptions, you cant work off extension ladders and even those exceptions you need to be tied off with proper safety gear.

a shit load of people (mostly young men) die every year from falls at work. it makes sense to forcibly limit this exposure. its only dumb countries like murika that values freedom over things like logic, safety, well being of its workforce.

>> No.1854544
File: 40 KB, 565x600, Cover-tom2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like to remind myself of how easy the task I am doing would be if i was on a ladder that was 1 inch off the ground.

Then I remind myself of how less efficient and dangerous it would be for me to act through panic or petrification as opposed to if i was 1 foot off the ground.

Then I sweat less and my grip is better.

Youll be ok lil buddy

>> No.1854545

>>1854544
I meant to say inch both times.

>> No.1854547
File: 394 KB, 339x498, 21342.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1854544
>heh, just pretend that the dangerous thing you're doing isn't actually dangerous

>> No.1854585

>>1854475
Ladders need to be extended 24" above whatever you're climbing onto. Rood, attic, whatever. The surface crossing your ladder needs to be like 3 or 4 rungs down. It gives toy something to grip and transition your legs around. If it's just close to the too you're too high up your ladder and that always makes it unstable

Dont do one of those where you stand on the top of your a frame and pull yourself up to the attic get an aframe/extension combo ladder for inside work. A frame when you can. Extend it to get on roofs and attics.

>> No.1854640

>>1852262
Take a shit first.

>> No.1854645

>>1854533
Rent free

>> No.1854647

>>1854518
Everyone has a fear they can’t overcome. You for instance can’t seem to overcome being a complete cunt.

>> No.1854657
File: 280 KB, 656x1788, tower2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1854518
Not really different. Still have to overcome fear of height and develop a strong trust/love/carnal-relationship with your safety gear.
There are times where it isn't possible to safety in. And times where I just decide is is quicker to be stupid than safe.

>> No.1854815

>>1854547
Its more like
>remember how sturdy your current position feels when you aren't in danger.

Not pretend you arent. It isnt hard to practice safety on a ladder. If you are just experiencing fear then my trick helps.

>> No.1854886

>>1854647
How is that a fear? Eat a dick, retard.
>>1854657
I disagree, but I haven't worked a lot at heights, and only at about 30 meters. I would do that any day with proper gear over even just changing a light bulb from a ladder.
>There are times where it isn't possible to safety in.
When?
>>1854815
If you're doing actual work from a ladder, proper safety is practically impossible.

>> No.1854898

>>1854886
It’s a fear because you belittle people over the internet because of your own personal insecurities. Insecurities are based on fears of who you are and the parts you don’t like about yourself.

It’s far easier for some people to have a hard outer shell then to admit there are things in life that scare them and they can’t control. They tend to try and believe the bullshit they project. It’s like a guy with a lifted truck covered in bumper stickers announcing to the world they carry a gun and they “DONT CALL 911” vs a guy who just carries and is quiet about it.

>> No.1854915

>>1854898
Damn bro. You got a pH. D in psychology?

>> No.1854920

>>1852262
once you've fallen a few dozen times, it stops being concerning. I can't even remember half the falls I've taken.

>> No.1854929

>>1854886
I said practice safety not "be 100% safe".

Its cool I was just sharing the thing I remind myself if I catch nerves that are making me shaky. I wasnt acting like some ladder safety god.

>> No.1854932

>>1854915
No. I’m an uneducated asshole but I’ve done a ton of introspection. It’s pretty easy to figure out how other people tic if you figure out how you tic.

>> No.1854994
File: 241 KB, 500x500, LSS-25-InUse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1854886
I could run up and drop kick this ladder like WWE and it would barely shake. I'd be tied off it and couldn't be knocked off either. We are tied off so good that we cant have any dangling lines to the ground because someone fuckingnwith that is more likely to hurt than knocking the ladder over.

>> No.1854997
File: 951 KB, 1080x1220, Snow is big gay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You get desensitized real quick when you do it everyday.

>> No.1855001

>>1852357
Some really shitty ones barely hold me. I've been on ladders that, if I was 250 lbs, would have buckled under the weight. There is definitely a difference in ladder qualities and capacities.

>> No.1855005
File: 78 KB, 584x1024, 1586802278798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1852262
I work as a climber removing and trimming trees and I'd rather be 60 ft up hanging from my rope than 10 ft up on a ladder. Fuck ladders. Tricky sumbitches

>> No.1855008

>>1852340
non-conductive equipment

>> No.1855117

>>1852323
I suggest you to change to fiber ladders anon. I find them more stable and also gives you a chance against high voltages.

>> No.1855134

>>1855117
Aluminum ladders are so fuckin light and a decent one isnt going to be flimsy. Its fine for painters

>> No.1855244

>>1854994
That's cool I guess. I don't know why anyone would bother with all that instead of using a vehicle mounted boom lift though. I also somehow doubt that this is what they do where op works.

>> No.1855258

>>1855244
You can get a ladder almost anywhere. Trucks are quite limited.
Also much cheaped

>> No.1855261

>>1855258
That's a public street though. I think you can make a boom lift work there.

>> No.1855373

>>1852262
Just wear a diaper like a real man you pansy faggot

>> No.1855480
File: 2.06 MB, 326x350, 1586782805610.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1855005
Yolo

>> No.1855487

>>1852340
wooden ladders are a joy to work on and will hold up far longer than aluminium tube ladders
they only fell out of favor due to weight

>> No.1855502

>>1852262
Take your pants off?

>> No.1855531

>>1854112
>>1854533

Officially they want us to tie in every ladder move and harness up for clearing a gutter. That's an hour job turned into a full morning. I get that they don't care if I die but I can't bring myself to do it.

>> No.1855686

>>1855480
Doesnt know what hes doing. Shouldnt be on a ladder. Should have made an undercut. Should have trimmed off more from the ground.

>> No.1855816
File: 18 KB, 550x550, 0102580A_2_TS50126ca2-40b8-4a69-97b1-2485463ec647_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1855487
Not much of a joy to lug around or set up one of these bad boys.

>> No.1855845
File: 123 KB, 960x640, deadsmonaut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1852262
Necessity is the mother of courage (actually). I used to have some fear too. Facing it I get used to it. But I almost fell from a high scaffolding and nowadays (one year after that) I'm starting to lose the fear again.

>> No.1855868

>>1852262
Lol Ive recently been about 12’ up which isnt bad except im trying to hammer nails into fascia on a 12” gabel overhang. Concrete below. Due to angle I couldnt put ladder on fascia so I was basically leaning back on a ladder.

>> No.1855918

>>1855868
Been there. It sucks. Buy a standoff.

>> No.1856077

One had to go up a 35 on the back of an f50 to install a heating element. Mounted it on a 3cm overhang and got it done. It sucks but you get used to it when you're working.