[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 603 KB, 1224x918, no prefab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1840700 No.1840700 [Reply] [Original]

Starting carpentry next week. Anything I should know/got any advice? I have experience as a handyman and in cabinet making.
Based in Melb, Aus.
inb4 don't

>> No.1840711

>>1840700
Don’t accept favors from anyone no matter how small.

>> No.1840713

>>1840711
You mean like from co-workers or other tradies? Why not?

>> No.1840718

>>1840713
Because they will demand sexual favors later. Never give in or you’ll be known as a punk forever.

>> No.1840720

>>1840718
It's true OP every construction crew has its butt boy

>> No.1840731

Listen carefully to what you need to do and then work your ass off doing that thing. Starting off, don't try to jump ahead because you think you know what you're doing, because you can fuck up and cause a bigger problem than you were worth.

>> No.1840736

>>1840718
>>1840720
Thank you for your contribution.

>>1840731
I'll keep that in mind as I usually get ahead of myself. Cheers.

>> No.1840739

>>1840736
On that note don't get in the habit of doing a bunch of extra work you weren't necessarily told to do, even if it would be easy for you to do so. Eventually it will be expected of you to finish or fix other people's half added jobs

>> No.1840755

A speed square should be considered almost as important as a pencil, a tape measure, a saw or a hammer.
utilising it with a ripsaw or jigsaw will upgrade your quality by many fold.

>> No.1840762

Not direct jobsite advice but I like watching some people on youtube, you might get something out of it, knowledge or entertainment

Scott Brown carpentry - kiwi, works alone or with a buddy sometimes
MattBangsWood - young but seems to know a lot
Perkins Builder Brothers - fun to watch, some good tips on general construction
Essential Craftsman - lots of knowledge and general life/jobsite wisdom , I love to watch this video from time to time again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP1AmDRhoas

>> No.1840773

>>1840739
Fucking this. I won’t forget getting my ass chewed for cleaning and organizing. Go ask what next when you are done with your given task.

>> No.1840779

Be mindful of your fingers and strenghten your hands for hand sanding

>> No.1840837

>>1840779
Can I strengthen my hands without buying exercise equipment?

>> No.1840839

>>1840837
Farmers walks are GOAT for grip training

>> No.1840854

>>1840839
Thanks but that puts an increased load on your back and I can't handle lifting due to a previous injury.

>> No.1841048

Walk fast slow employees piss me off. Nothing worse than dragging some half asleep shit around when they are supposed to be helping you move shit around the site. Sucks bad

>> No.1841056

>>1840700
Develop a thick skin....journeymen treat laborer like shit, it is the right of passage. Prove yourself on the job as a reliable team member. You will gain respect. Even though it usually will not be shown. If the boss gives you a perk, keep it to yourself. If you tell your co-workers, it will just create drama.

>> No.1841123

>>1840854
>I can't handle lifting due to a previous injury.
Your carpentry career was dead before it even started.

>> No.1841127

>>1840700
Buy a huge bottle of ibuprofen or start doing drugs.

>> No.1841136

GET OFF YOUR PHONE

>> No.1841140

>>1841136
best advice in the thread

>> No.1841145

>>1840731
This is fantastic advice. You will be surprised at how the smallest mistake can be compounded.

>> No.1841325

>>1840700
10 year carpenter based in and around melb here.

I would avoid a job that does only framing, you won't learn every aspect of the trade and it is hell on your back.

Make safety a priority. Don' rely on other people to make you safe because they won't. Wear your PPE, always carry ear muffs on you, glasses when cutting/grinding, dust mask when cutting cement sheet. People will most likely give you shit for it but you will thank me in 10 years trust me.

Don't stay in a toxic workplace, if you are being treated like shit day in day out it won't get any better no matter how hard you try, Get out of there and find an environment that fosters growth. Don't settle because you are afraid you won't find any other work, you will.

Try your best to learn something new everyday, at the start it's going to feel overwhelming but you will eventually get the hang of it.
Three main concepts to grasp are Square, Level and Plumb, if it ticks those 3 boxes then it is good to go.

>> No.1841342

>>1841123
But aren’t there laborers at the worksite to do the heavy lifting so that skilled carpenters can focus on their craft?

>> No.1841348

>>1841342
>But aren’t there laborers at the worksite to do the heavy lifting so that skilled carpenters can focus on their craft?

I'm sure there are worksites where cripples give directions to laborers, but every construction site I've been on had carpenters who were physically fit. Take something like framing; framers have to be strong, athletic, coordinated, and something of a gymnast. A clumsy weak person could never be a framer, and stand on the ground giving instructions to a laborer doing the actual work.

And the same thing applies to trim carpenters, cabinet makers and installers, to a lesser degree. For example, if you can't help position a door and casing to install it, just find a job that you can manage, and forget about installing doors.

>> No.1841352

>>1840700
Better ask twice than messing up stuff

>> No.1841385

>>1841348
I’ve been to a few sites and there usually is a guy on the ground yelling orders to folks above. And I’ve seen filthy laborers on the ground moving materials while other perform skilled work.

>> No.1841389

>>1841385

yeah, and you can't read worth a crap. have a nice day.

>> No.1841419

>>1840700
You will probably be working with assholes that are often recovering from a night of drinking. They will make jokes at your expense. It is a work environment full of machismo and general assholery. If you stick with it, do what you're told, hurry up and do a great job, leave your phone in your vehicle, you'll do fine. You'll be asked to move a bunch of heavy shit. Eventually you'll be strong enough to do so with relative ease. It's not my scene, but some people do it every day for a lifetime. Oh and what another anon said, wear safety gear. Earplugs and eye protection especially. You can probably just leave earplugs in. Most people that work construction are half deaf anyway, so they'll be yelling loud enough that you can hear them through the earplugs. Don't sacrifice your vision and your ability to hear so you can fit in. Don't lift things with your back curved. Bend your knees and use your legs. This will save your back. Your future matters beyond this job. Try to remember that.

>> No.1841420

Thanks for all the info, everyone.
>>1840779
Hand sanding? Why wouldn't I use a machine?
Gymnastics has strengthen my forearms and hands so I should be fine either way.

>>1841325
I wanted to do fixing and lock up since I prefer fine work but the boss said he can send me to the guys that does it but I won't be working for him. I'll learn as much as I can before moving to the fixing and lock up crew.
Square and level I'm good with, I've never had to deal with plum so I'll keep that in mind. Is $150 a day starting off, good? An 8 hour day equates to $18.75 p/h. A bit of a drop from my current job.
Cheers.

>> No.1841423

>>1841389
Don’t let this moron influence you OP. Being a job site foreman is in demand. Anyone with more than two brain cells can work up to it and if you’re smart enough to do it fast, you’ll avoid years of tedious labor.

>> No.1841547

>>1841342
Yes, you. Nobody starts out as a skilled carpenter.

>> No.1841961

>>1841420
Are you signing up as an apprentice or just getting paid daily as a labourer? That's good coin for a domestic apprentice.

Your goal should be to sign up as an apprentice asap. If it doesn't work out with your boss i would recommend signing on with an apprentice labour hire company.
Your pay will come in each week guaranteed, you'll be sent out to different job sites,have the chance to network with tradesmen etc

Good luck with everything m8 and look after your body out there. Theres good days and bad days but i enjoy it more often than not.

>> No.1841970

>>1841961
I'd like to but I'm 29.
>apprentice labour hire company
Never heard of that. Looking into aga and atcemployment now. Seems kind of like a hire a handyman sort of thing but for apprenticeships.
That would probably suit me better since I'm not good with people.
Don't worry, I'm already a safetyfag. Worst injury I've ever got was getting nibbed by a grinder.

>> No.1844113

>>1840854
>back is fucked
Oh man.. time to look for a different job, bud.

>> No.1844269

>>1841348
Framers are fit. Even the old boys running the show throw up the 20 some foot rafters after they're cut. Keep in mind he also reads the print and does about all the calculation. Everyone else pretty much climbs, walks joists, decks, builds the laid out walls.

Trimmers just need to be meticulous. If you can make good nails and close all your joints, you're in a good spot here.

>> No.1844272

>>1841547
>Nobody starts out as a skilled carpenter.
But if you can show up sober and return phone calls then you can quickly become a foreman type and avoid years of training.

>> No.1844273

>>1841961
Aussies are richer than burgers. You'd be starting at 14-15. You have to run the show or be with a company for many years to beat that pay generally in my area.

>>1844272
bs

>> No.1844364

>>1841342
I am a carpenter and I am the strongest man on the job site. Always. If you have strength issues this job will break you. Go work in a bank. You fucking pussy.

>> No.1844943

>>1840700
Advice? Yeah shut the fuck up, haul ass, and pay attention.

>> No.1844969

>>1840700
Don’t discuss wages with coworkers, you don’t need to know what they make and they don’t need to know what you make. When you feel you deserve a raise ask your manager/boss directly.

>> No.1845170
File: 124 KB, 592x768, 1591827654718.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Show up on time
>Do exactly as you are told
>And or the love of all that is holy dont do stupid shit that will create extra work for other people

This is really all you have to do until you get to know the flow/vibe/culture of the company and crew and can adjust from there.