[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 97 KB, 1288x754, 1443328363841.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1833037 No.1833037 [Reply] [Original]

can any experienced farmers help?
So i wanted to start gardening, but im not sure what i can grow given the soil. i want to grow things that will take in the ground without me having to go buy special soil/mulch and build a gardening box
the ground is pretty much clay, floods so much during rain its almost like a rice paddy and cracks in the dry months. My neighbors up the ways have corn fields but i dont know how they grow so much and without a circle irrigation setup
i live in central texas near austin btw.

>> No.1834016

>>1833037
I don't have much experience with clay soil, but you might want to try potatoes.

Other than that, I'd recommend finding a website (like: https://empressofdirt.net/best-vegetables-clay-soils/ ), and just try plots of land for a year with different veggies.

It's also an option to work the land and add in other ground types to alter the characteristics of the ground to ease it up on other plant types.

>> No.1835493

>>1833037
Well, what do you want? Fruits? Leeks? Onions? Cabbage? Beans?
What climate do you have?

>> No.1837492

Grow a nut orchard and reap your high-value harvest 10 years from now. Sell the timber when you're old for retirement.